Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours did the average housewife sleep, but still found themselves tired?
2. Where are the chains to the housewives' trap located?
3. What terrifies the seventeen-year-old girl?
4. Which statement best fits the main problem?
5. What was Freud most concerned about in regards to society?
Short Essay Questions
1. In summation, why was it that the women went home after winning the suffrage?
2. What sex was responsible for the divorcing of women and the outside world?
3. Why must Freud's psychoanalytical views be discounted?
4. Define "Feminine protest".
5. What is the distinguishing feature about the women of the suburbs?
6. What do the children of vicarious living mothers commonly identify with?
7. What choice did the mystique leave to women?
8. According to the media, why should an American housewife be happy with her lot?
9. Why is economic independence so necessary for women?
10. What was considered "true feminine fulfillment"?
Essay Topic 1
Why is education integral to the destruction of the feminine mystique? What role does education play in the growing up of American women? How does this benefit America at the macro level? At the micro level? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How did Mrs. Friedan practice what she preached? How was she an equal victim of the discrimination against women, and what private battles did she herself face in the years following the publishing of the "Feminine Mystique"?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the women that pursued a career and self realization, to those who went to college strictly to find a husband, get married and have children. How do they differ in personal growth? How does society of that era view both women? Explain the difference in their marriages. Use quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)