|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the identity of women determined?
2. What requires increased glamorization every year?
3. How does a daughter see "don't become a housewife like me"?
4. What was so terrifying to women not about to be married?
5. What does Mrs. Freidan question in regards to Freudian thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the victims of the Holocaust similar to the American housewife?
2. Define "Feminine protest".
3. How were Freud's findings indicative of his social surroundings?
4. What is called the "youth serum" for women?
5. Why did most women think there was something wrong with them?
6. How does a woman fulfill her psychological and sociological roles by being a shopper?
7. How was this preoccupation different than it had been before?
8. What groups opposed the women's right to vote and why?
9. Who divorced women from the ideas of the world outside of the home?
10. What is the difference in the male and female roles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name at least three things that stand in the way of women's self realization. How do these things impede her progress? How can they be overcome? Are they legitimate things that hold her back, or are they imagined? Explain your answer and use quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Hypothesize on the outcome of society at large if the women continued living purely within the confines of femininity? How would it affect the population two generations further? Three? Would it make American society stronger or weaker to have that increased level of devotion in the household? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the women that pursued a career and self realization, to those who went to college strictly to find a husband, get married and have children. How do they differ in personal growth? How does society of that era view both women? Explain the difference in their marriages. Use quotes from the book.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)