|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which women were happiest?
2. What did Margaret Mead's work persuade women to do?
3. What kind of pharmaceuticals were women taking?
4. Why does an educator have to be daring to suggest non-conformity in regards to sex based education?
5. Margaret Mead frequently _______ herself.
Short Essay Questions
1. In summation, why was it that the women went home after winning the suffrage?
2. What do the children of vicarious living mothers commonly identify with?
3. Define high dominance and low dominance feeling.
4. Why must Freud's psychoanalytical views be discounted?
5. In what way did society have to be restructured regarding sexuality?
6. Explain how within the feminine mystique, to be exceptional, has such a negative connotation?
7. What is the distinguishing feature about the women of the suburbs?
8. Why was it advisable for advertisers to not let the "Career Women" category get any larger?
9. What is the difference between when a man works at home and when a woman works at home?
10. Define "Feminine protest".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the social propaganda around the feminine mystique. How has married life been glorified and glamorized? Why has it been made to be more than it is? What is the benefit to women staying at home, from an economic standpoint. Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role that religion plays in perpetuating the feminine mystique. Why do you think this is the case? What does religion stand to gain if the women stay home? Why? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Hypothesize on the outcome of society at large if the women continued living purely within the confines of femininity? How would it affect the population two generations further? Three? Would it make American society stronger or weaker to have that increased level of devotion in the household? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)