|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Freud most concerned about in regards to society?
2. What does Mrs. Freidan question in regards to Freudian thought?
3. In what would Martha take refuge?
4. How much money did the magazine offer to those who submit their problems to promote it?
5. What narrow comfort is offered women to become homemakers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did society have to be restructured regarding sexuality?
2. Explain how within the feminine mystique, to be exceptional, has such a negative connotation?
3. What did the men do to defy the "masculine mystique"?
4. What might have happened if women had gone on to continue their education?
5. Explain the passage from MARRIAGE FOR MODERNS.
6. In summation, why was it that the women went home after winning the suffrage?
7. How were the victims of the Holocaust similar to the American housewife?
8. What is the distinguishing feature about the women of the suburbs?
9. How did the image of women change from the 1930's-50's?
10. How is a self actualizing relationship stronger than one borne in the feminine mystique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the women that pursued a career and self realization, to those who went to college strictly to find a husband, get married and have children. How do they differ in personal growth? How does society of that era view both women? Explain the difference in their marriages. Use quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What are the subtle ways that the feminine mystique still exists in modern society? In which ways is it not so subtle? Who is to blame for the present view of women in society? Why is this?
Essay Topic 3
Name at least three things that stand in the way of women's self realization. How do these things impede her progress? How can they be overcome? Are they legitimate things that hold her back, or are they imagined? Explain your answer and use quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)