|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The problem for women today is not ______, but a problem of _______?
2. What is Nora, to herself, first and foremost?
3. How many hours did the average housewife sleep, but still found themselves tired?
4. What do Freud's writings give more credit?
5. What silent question did women ask themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is a self actualizing relationship stronger than one borne in the feminine mystique?
2. Define "Feminine protest".
3. What is ironic about the path to feminine fulfillment?
4. How were Freud's findings indicative of his social surroundings?
5. What is the objective of making homemaking creative?
6. Who divorced women from the ideas of the world outside of the home?
7. Define high dominance and low dominance feeling.
8. What specifically made the image change of women possible?
9. What is the difference in the male and female roles?
10. How did sexual interaction at an early age affect development?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role that religion plays in perpetuating the feminine mystique. Why do you think this is the case? What does religion stand to gain if the women stay home? Why? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the image of the corporate woman. What kind of person is she? How does a woman have to behave in order to maintain her position of social stature? How are these kinds of women portrayed in Hollywood? Where else are there images of corporate women?
Essay Topic 3
Hypothesize on the outcome of society at large if the women continued living purely within the confines of femininity? How would it affect the population two generations further? Three? Would it make American society stronger or weaker to have that increased level of devotion in the household? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)