|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the feminine protest do?
2. Which tribe do men and women assume masculine roles?
3. "The problem for women today is not ______, but a problem of _______?
4. What did Freud believe that all neurosis stemmed from?
5. In regards to both of Freud's main theories, what does it say about his cultural upbringing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did American women learn how to free themselves by speaking out for the slaves?
2. What is the double deception of the feminine mystique?
3. Why did real feminists believe the radical "man hating, marriage opposing" feminists were getting more media coverage?
4. Why did most women think there was something wrong with them?
5. What was the basis of all neurosis of people, according to Freud?
6. What groups opposed the women's right to vote and why?
7. Why did sex become the preoccupation of American women?
8. How were the victims of the Holocaust similar to the American housewife?
9. What is the difference between when a man works at home and when a woman works at home?
10. According to the media, why should an American housewife be happy with her lot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Freud obtained his views of women. How did his surroundings come into play? His child hood? Why is it hard to take Freudian views seriously when the method by which he obtained these psychoanalytical findings? Use quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Suggest ways women might overcome the feminine mystique. What kinds of programs could be offered to women that are serious about continuing their education in a meaningful way? Is there any way to live within the mystique and contribute positively to the world and to self development? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the image of the corporate woman. What kind of person is she? How does a woman have to behave in order to maintain her position of social stature? How are these kinds of women portrayed in Hollywood? Where else are there images of corporate women?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)