|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first age that the crisis hits?
2. What problem arises in women who marry first and ask questions later?
3. What kind of pharmaceuticals were women taking?
4. Which statement best fits the main problem?
5. What does Mrs. Freidan question in regards to Freudian thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children of vicarious living mothers commonly identify with?
2. How were the victims of the Holocaust similar to the American housewife?
3. How did the image of women change from the 1930's-50's?
4. In summation, why was it that the women went home after winning the suffrage?
5. Summarize Margaret Mead's ideals as shown in this book.
6. What is the objective of making homemaking creative?
7. What specifically made the image change of women possible?
8. Why did most women think there was something wrong with them?
9. What is the difference between when a man works at home and when a woman works at home?
10. How were Freud's findings indicative of his social surroundings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what regard are children dependent on Mother's influence? How are they independent of it? Explain the perpetual infantile state and the stunting of emotional growth in the terms of the feminine mystique.
Essay Topic 2
How did Mrs. Friedan practice what she preached? How was she an equal victim of the discrimination against women, and what private battles did she herself face in the years following the publishing of the "Feminine Mystique"?
Essay Topic 3
Why is education integral to the destruction of the feminine mystique? What role does education play in the growing up of American women? How does this benefit America at the macro level? At the micro level? Explain.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)