|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The younger generation was consumed with the only aspiration of ____________________.
2. Which statement best fits the main problem?
3. What was it said that men had that women didn't?
4. What narrow comfort is offered women to become homemakers?
5. How many hours did the average housewife sleep, but still found themselves tired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is considered the feminine role in education?
2. Explain how within the feminine mystique, to be exceptional, has such a negative connotation?
3. What was considered "true feminine fulfillment"?
4. Define "Feminine protest".
5. In what way did society have to be restructured regarding sexuality?
6. What is the choice that women face?
7. According to the media, why should an American housewife be happy with her lot?
8. What kinds of problems can arise for the woman saying "no" to the feminine mystique?
9. What is the American housewife's dilemma?
10. In summation, why was it that the women went home after winning the suffrage?
Essay Topic 1
How is it impossible to live within the confines of the feminine mystique for any length of time? Why is it so difficult for women to pursue a socially acceptable role of 'femininity' within the culture of the 1950's? Are their any comparable situations in today's day and age? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How can a woman's husband act as an anchor within the feminine mystique? Is this intentional? How is it ultimately the woman's decision to go back to school and continue her education? What things prevent her from doing so?
Essay Topic 3
What kinds of opposition did women face in their movement to gain equal rights? How were they the subject of ridicule and scorn? How were they the butt of public jokes and humiliated? How were they balked? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,908 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)