|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the literature offered telling women to do?
2. What kind of act occurred in the feminist movement?
3. What is the important thing for a girl?
4. How many children did Sojourner Truth claim to have?
5. What is necessary for the women to be happy in their lives, according to Mirra?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it advisable for advertisers to not let the "Career Women" category get any larger?
2. In summation, why was it that the women went home after winning the suffrage?
3. What was the reason for Freud's research and what did he hope to achieve?
4. What were the side effects of the "youth serum" when the young woman aged?
5. Why must Freud's psychoanalytical views be discounted?
6. Why were the girls with rings on their hands the "lucky ones"?
7. What is the difference between when a man works at home and when a woman works at home?
8. Why did most women think there was something wrong with them?
9. Why did women lavish so much attention on their children?
10. In what way did society have to be restructured regarding sexuality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is it impossible to live within the confines of the feminine mystique for any length of time? Why is it so difficult for women to pursue a socially acceptable role of 'femininity' within the culture of the 1950's? Are their any comparable situations in today's day and age? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Name at least three things that stand in the way of women's self realization. How do these things impede her progress? How can they be overcome? Are they legitimate things that hold her back, or are they imagined? Explain your answer and use quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In what regard are children dependent on Mother's influence? How are they independent of it? Explain the perpetual infantile state and the stunting of emotional growth in the terms of the feminine mystique.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)