|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Freud believe of his studies when he had passed away?
(a) That he was the leading word on the subject.
(b) All of these.
(c) That his word was law and answered all questions.
(d) That his deductions about the female psyche were complete.
2. What was the new sexual problem in marriages?
(a) The women had no sexual appetite.
(b) The women found themselves frigid and unable to be aroused.
(c) The women had more of an appetite than their men could satisfy.
(d) The women had a desire to have more and more children.
3. What is considered "phallic activity"?
(a) Things that normally pertain to men.
(b) Holding ones' genitals.
(c) None of these.
(d) All of these.
4. What terrifies the seventeen-year-old girl?
(a) Having children.
(b) Marrying a man like her father.
(c) Becoming a career woman.
(d) Being like her mother.
5. What is the "great mistake of Western Culture"?
(a) The availability of an education to women.
(b) The availability of work to women.
(c) The undervaluation of femininity.
(d) The overemphasis on femininity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Freud believe that all neurosis stemmed from?
2. Why couldn't Betty read a word of the science that had once almost been her life's calling?
3. What was women's unhappiness blamed on?
4. How many children did Sojourner Truth claim to have?
5. With which did the feminist movement gain strength?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did most women think there was something wrong with them?
2. How were Freud's findings indicative of his social surroundings?
3. Summarize Margaret Mead's ideals as shown in this book.
4. Why did sex become the preoccupation of American women?
5. How is a self actualizing relationship stronger than one borne in the feminine mystique?
6. What groups opposed the women's right to vote and why?
7. What was the problem with the young women of this age group?
8. How were the victims of the Holocaust similar to the American housewife?
9. How does a woman fulfill her psychological and sociological roles by being a shopper?
10. What is ironic about the path to feminine fulfillment?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)