|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If education has made American women feel trapped, frustrated and guilty as housewives, it is surely a sign that ___________________________.
(a) American women shouldn't be educated.
(b) American women shouldn't attatch to children and husband.
(c) American women have outgrown the housewife role.
(d) American women should stay at home.
2. What was interesting about the lives of all of the women within the mystique?
(a) They were always frantically busy.
(b) They were all thirty pounds overweight.
(c) They were always dissatisfied with their marital affairs.
(d) They were always envying their neighbors.
3. Women who finished a professional education were more likely to reach ______________.
(a) Personal fulfillment.
(c) None of these.
(d) Marital fulfillment.
4. What does Professor Maslow say about the words "feminine" and "masculine"?
(a) They are necessary to segregate the sexes.
(b) They are misleading.
(c) They are an abbhoration on the human spirit and character.
(d) They don't jive with his studies and aren't considered practical.
5. What was wrong with children?
(a) They were going through their lives without passion or direction.
(b) They lacked fire.
(c) They all sleepwalked.
(d) They were following the feminine mystique to the letter.
6. What is the most powerful argument of the feminine mystique?
(a) That the woman will be less of a woman if she doesn't stay at home.
(b) All of these.
(c) That the woman rejects her husband and children if she doesn't stay at home.
(d) That the woman may lose her fertility if she works outside of the home.
7. What should be the goal of every normal woman?
(a) "To be an independent buyer".
(b) "The art of being a great housewife".
(c) "The art of good homemaking".
(d) "To shop unscrupulously".
8. Newspaper headlines screamed that working mothers were responsible for __________________.
(a) Both of these.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Juvenile delinquency.
(d) Molly coddling their children.
9. How much greater was the number of disturbed young wives over any other group other than their husbands?
(a) Five times.
(b) Four times.
(c) Two times.
(d) Three times.
10. What is needed to put an end to the housewives' lack of fulfillment?
(a) None of these.
(b) A national education program for women who want to seriously continue their education.
(c) The installation of some courage into the average American housewives.
(d) A co-operative union of housewives to fund the return to education.
11. What is the scary thing for women who want to finish their education?
(a) That she will no longer be feminine.
(b) That no man will want her.
(c) That most men will be married in college.
(d) All of these.
12. What must women do to avoid the dehumanization of their children?
(a) Cling to their husbands.
(b) Grow up and have interests outside of being a wife and mother.
(c) Cling more to their children.
(d) Live deeper within the feminine mystique.
13. What is the only frontier available to women that have lived always within the confines of the feminine mystique?
(c) None of these.
14. What clinic for children did Mrs. Freidan visit?
(a) The James Jackson Putnam Childrens Center in Boston.
(b) The Putnam Jackson Childrens Center in Boston.
(c) The Jackson James Center in Boston.
(d) The Jackson James Putnam Childrens Center in Boston.
15. Out of twenty-five women, how many were serious enough to write a resume to improve their lives?
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was the survey published for electrical appliances?
2. What was the problem with the vast majority of men and boys born to mothers enthralled in the mystique?
3. How many women did Maslow find actually fulfilled their selves in the sense of a dominant feeling?
4. When did Professor Maslow begin his study of the relationship between sexuality and the "dominance" feeling?
5. In 1948, what was the percentage of men that had had some homosexual experience?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)