|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is characteristic of underdeveloped nations?
(a) None of these.
(b) Early sex.
(c) Early sex, early marriage.
(d) Early marriage.
2. What should be the goal of every normal woman?
(a) "To shop unscrupulously".
(b) "The art of being a great housewife".
(c) "To be an independent buyer".
(d) "The art of good homemaking".
3. Wives became __________________.
(a) All of these.
(b) Complete dominators of the household activities.
(c) Know it alls.
4. What are considered "mutations"?
(a) Men wanting to be housewives.
(b) Asexual woman.
(c) All of these.
(d) Women who pursue careers despite their handicap of gender.
5. Women must learn to compete not as female but as ______.
6. What was interesting about the lives of all of the women within the mystique?
(a) They were all thirty pounds overweight.
(b) They were always envying their neighbors.
(c) They were always frantically busy.
(d) They were always dissatisfied with their marital affairs.
7. Why is the "Career Woman" not a good market to sell to?
(a) She doesn't care about promotions.
(b) She has no time to shop.
(c) She is harder to sell to.
(d) She isn't interested and has housekeepers.
8. What sparked the White House's interest?
(a) A rise in juvinile delinquency.
(b) A rise in political instability.
(c) A rise in violent crime.
(d) Muscular deterioration.
9. What was the real cause of feminism and women's frustration?
(a) All of these.
(b) The emptiness in the housewife's role.
(c) The lack of appreciation for the housewife's role.
(d) The lack or respect gained for the housewifes role.
10. What occurred in the last decade?
(a) An increase in preoccupation with sex.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) An increase in sexual activity.
(d) Both of these.
11. What is the key to getting out of the trap of the mystique?
12. Who wrote the famous study in maternal overprotection?
(a) Dr. Spock.
(b) David Levy.
(c) Arnold Green.
(d) Dr. Strecker.
13. How did Andras Angyal describe this weakness?
(a) A psychotic evasion of growth,
(b) A social evasion of growth.
(c) A neurotic evasion of growth.
(d) None of these.
14. When did Professor Maslow begin his study of the relationship between sexuality and the "dominance" feeling?
(a) In the 1950s.
(b) In the 1930s.
(c) In the 1940s.
(d) In the 1920s.
15. What must women do to avoid the dehumanization of their children?
(a) Cling more to their children.
(b) Cling to their husbands.
(c) Live deeper within the feminine mystique.
(d) Grow up and have interests outside of being a wife and mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the young housewife supposed to spend money and not feel guilty about it?
2. How did the labor saving appliance work?
3. Newspaper headlines screamed that working mothers were responsible for __________________.
4. What drains away the needs that cannot really be filled by the home and family?
5. What two things are at the very heart of the feminine mystique?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)