|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets up with the Hobbits and with Strider, coming off a white horse and with a sound of bells?
2. What is the word Gandalf finally uses in order to solve the riddle of the doors and to open them?
3. ___________ tells the Lord and Lady that Gandalf fell into a Shadow and did not leave Moria.
4. The Elves warn the travelers that ________ are coming, but they can rest for the night with them.
5. __________ sends scouts in all directions to gather word about the Black Riders.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gandalf reveal about his period of being absent from the journey?
2. What happened to the Ringwraiths when their horses were drowned in the flood?
3. How does Lord Celeborn greet Gimli when he arrives in Lothlorien?
4. Who are some of the people who are attending the Council meeting in Rivendell?
5. What does Strider come back with when he goes out to scout out a bridge that they might have to cross?
6. What does Aragorn reveal to the Elves about the demise of Gandalf?
7. What are the travelers given by the Elves in order to help their journey?
8. What is in the small wooden box that Sam receives from Lady Galadriel?
9. What does Gandalf believe will help them as they head to the Mines of Moria?
10. What is being described in the book Gandalf reads when they are in the Chamber of Records?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many identities of Aragorn makes the reader wonder who he really is at various points of the story.
Part 1: Why do think Aragorn takes on so many identities?
Part 2: What does Aragorn's ever-changing identity say about him and about his place in the world?
Part 3: Would it be better for Aragorn to only have one identity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Frodo seems the most unlikely carrier for the Ring, though he willingly takes up the task.
Part 1: Why do you think Frodo is willing to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Part 2: Which other character might have made a good ringbearer? Why?
Part 3: What makes Frodo the right person to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Essay Topic 3
The legend of the Ring is one that haunts some characters and inspires others.
Part 1: Why does the story of the Ring haunt Aragorn?
Part 2: Which characters find inspiration in the story of the Ring? Why?
Part 3: How are legends driving the various characters in the story?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)