|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ feels the direction they are taking will hasten their path and keep them out of sight.
2. How many people does Elrond believe should be in the Fellowship of the Ring?
3. The book Gandalf reads from relates the history of the fall of the Dwarves to the __________.
4. Boromir tells Frodo that his people are very __________ and would not let the ring take them over.
5. Who is NOT one of the members of the Fellowship of the Ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aragorn reveal to the Elves about the demise of Gandalf?
2. How does Lord Celeborn greet Gimli when he arrives in Lothlorien?
3. Who are some of the people who are attending the Council meeting in Rivendell?
4. When Frodo awakes in a comfortable bed, what does Gandalf tell him?
5. What are the travelers given by the Elves in order to help their journey?
6. What happened to the Ringwraiths when their horses were drowned in the flood?
7. What does Sam share with Frodo that he has seen, though he's not sure it was a dream or not?
8. Who takes Frodo up on their horse when they realize just how ill Frodo is from the stabbing by the Morgol blade?
9. Where do the travelers decide to stay before they make the decision to go to Gondor or to Moria?
10. What is being described in the book Gandalf reads when they are in the Chamber of Records?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The note from Gandalf reminds Frodo to choose people he trusts as he sets out on his journey.
Part 1: Why is it important to trust the people you are with when heading out on a dangerous journey?
Part 2: Doesn't bringing along those whom you trust put them in harm's way? Why do you think Frodo's friends don't think of that and refuse to come with him?
Part 3: How do you think trust will help the Fellowship as they set out on their journey?
Essay Topic 2
The legend of the Ring is one that haunts some characters and inspires others.
Part 1: Why does the story of the Ring haunt Aragorn?
Part 2: Which characters find inspiration in the story of the Ring? Why?
Part 3: How are legends driving the various characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The sword of Elendil was broken and shattered as it cut the ring from Sauron, but those broken pieces symbolize more than just a broken piece of metal.
Part 1: Why do you think the sword of Elendil broke when it struck Sauron?
Part 2: What is the symbolism of the sword breaking into pieces? How are these broken pieces affecting the world?
Part 3: What does putting the pieces back together say about the hope of men?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)