|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who receives a silver brooch set with a clear green stone which was given to Galadriel by Celeborn?
2. Who climbs a tree in order to get the lay of the land before the travelers enter Lothlorien?
3. What does Celeborn offer to the travelers to help them speed their journey until they decide which path to follow?
4. What is the plant the Strider uses to help slow the poison process in Frodo's wound?
5. Lady Galadriel tells the travelers: "Your Quest stands upon the edge of a _______, stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Strider come back with when he goes out to scout out a bridge that they might have to cross?
2. What does Sam share with Frodo that he has seen, though he's not sure it was a dream or not?
3. What does Gandalf reveal about his period of being absent from the journey?
4. What are the travelers given by the Elves in order to help their journey?
5. What does Aragorn say when Frodo states that Aragorn is the rightful heir and that he should have the ring?
6. Who takes Frodo up on their horse when they realize just how ill Frodo is from the stabbing by the Morgol blade?
7. Who is given the task of deciding which way the journey much continue?
8. How does Lord Celeborn greet Gimli when he arrives in Lothlorien?
9. What is in the small wooden box that Sam receives from Lady Galadriel?
10. What does Aragorn suggest in order to make the blindfolding fair for those who are traveling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power in this story is clearly something which corrupts, in a variety of ways as the story progresses.
Part 1: Why is power so alluring to the people in the story?
Part 2: Why are some people more attracted to holding power than others are?
Part 3: Is it possible to have a world without power struggles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the journey begins with the travels of Bilbo seeking to try new things and new adventures.
Part 1: Why are journeys so important?
Part 2: Why do you think Bilbo is such a wanderer?
Part 3: Why does Frodo also feel called to travel as Bilbo did?
Essay Topic 3
The sword of Elendil was broken and shattered as it cut the ring from Sauron, but those broken pieces symbolize more than just a broken piece of metal.
Part 1: Why do you think the sword of Elendil broke when it struck Sauron?
Part 2: What is the symbolism of the sword breaking into pieces? How are these broken pieces affecting the world?
Part 3: What does putting the pieces back together say about the hope of men?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)