|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Elrond believe should be in the Fellowship of the Ring?
2. How many Dark Riders end up chasing Frodo as he makes his way to Rivendell?
3. All of the travelers, before they leave, drink from the Cup of _____________.
4. Boromir tells Frodo that his people are very __________ and would not let the ring take them over.
5. Lady Galadriel shares that she sees a ______________ about Gandalf as the travelers are counted by the Lord.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frodo decide will be best for the Ring and for his quest?
2. When Frodo awakes in a comfortable bed, what does Gandalf tell him?
3. What is being described in the book Gandalf reads when they are in the Chamber of Records?
4. Who takes Frodo up on their horse when they realize just how ill Frodo is from the stabbing by the Morgol blade?
5. What does Aragorn say when Frodo states that Aragorn is the rightful heir and that he should have the ring?
6. How does Gandalf eventually open up the door to the Mines of Moria?
7. Who are some of the people who are attending the Council meeting in Rivendell?
8. Why don't the travelers in the Fellowship worry when they get through the door away from the Orcs?
9. What does Gandalf reveal about his period of being absent from the journey?
10. What happened to the Ringwraiths when their horses were drowned in the flood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power in this story is clearly something which corrupts, in a variety of ways as the story progresses.
Part 1: Why is power so alluring to the people in the story?
Part 2: Why are some people more attracted to holding power than others are?
Part 3: Is it possible to have a world without power struggles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this book, the characters are either on a road or near one, constantly reminding the reader of the journey.
Part 1: Why are the characters not supposed to stay on the well-known roads?
Part 2: Why do you think the road is a recurring symbol in this story? What might Tolkien's motivation have been?
Part 3: How do you think the presence of the road affects the journey of the Fellowship? Or doesn't it?
Essay Topic 3
The quest between good and evil is the running theme of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.
Part 1: Do you think good and evil are clearly defined in this book? Why or why not?
Part 2: What are some of the examples of people who are clearly good? What makes them good? Why are they good?
Part 3: Which characters are clearly evil? What makes them evil? Why are they evil?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)