|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gimli realizes the room the travelers are in is the Chamber of ___________.
2. Who is grabbed by the foot with a large tentacle as the travelers make their way inside the mines?
3. What is the word Gandalf finally uses in order to solve the riddle of the doors and to open them?
4. Where is Boromir's homeland, according to the book?
5. Where do the scouts believe the Black Riders have gone since their horses drowned in the river?
Essay Topic 1
Frodo seems the most unlikely carrier for the Ring, though he willingly takes up the task.
Part 1: Why do you think Frodo is willing to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Part 2: Which other character might have made a good ringbearer? Why?
Part 3: What makes Frodo the right person to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Frodo decides to head off on his own, though the rest of the fellowship decides to follow anyway.
Part 1: Why is it important that Frodo go off on his journey alone?
Part 2: Is it a good idea to bring along Sam? Why or why not?
Part 3: What advantages might Frodo have in going off by himself on this journey?
Essay Topic 3
Frodo and others seem to have the power to see the future and to begin to make decisions based on what they think might happen.
Part 1: Why is prophesy important in this story?
Part 2: How does prophesy affect the lives of the characters? Cite specific examples.
Part 3: Do you think prophesy should affect one's decisions? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)