|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frodo asks where the ___________ is, but the Hobbits do not understand of what he is talking.
2. Lady Galadriel tells the travelers: "Your Quest stands upon the edge of a _______, stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all."
3. Gandalf tells Frodo that Rangers are men of the Race of __________ from the West.
4. Who makes the decision for the group to leave at once, even though Sting isn't glowing too brightly?
5. What does Strider find on the bridge that he takes to be a good sign of their progress on the journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frodo decide will be best for the Ring and for his quest?
2. When Frodo awakes in a comfortable bed, what does Gandalf tell him?
3. In the last stage of their journey, what two directions are the travelers trying to choose between?
4. What is in the small wooden box that Sam receives from Lady Galadriel?
5. What is being described in the book Gandalf reads when they are in the Chamber of Records?
6. How does Lord Celeborn greet Gimli when he arrives in Lothlorien?
7. Who are some of the people who are attending the Council meeting in Rivendell?
8. What does Bilbo give to Frodo on his last day in Rivendell?
9. What are the travelers given by the Elves in order to help their journey?
10. How does Gandalf eventually open up the door to the Mines of Moria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The legend of the Ring is one that haunts some characters and inspires others.
Part 1: Why does the story of the Ring haunt Aragorn?
Part 2: Which characters find inspiration in the story of the Ring? Why?
Part 3: How are legends driving the various characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of points in which the characters sing or relate poems to each other, which makes the story sound very much out of place in today's world.
Part 1: Why do you think Tolkien decided to use so much poetry and song?
Part 2: What does the use of poetry and song by some characters say about their personalities?
Part 3: Would the story have been different had the poetry and song not been included? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the journey begins with the travels of Bilbo seeking to try new things and new adventures.
Part 1: Why are journeys so important?
Part 2: Why do you think Bilbo is such a wanderer?
Part 3: Why does Frodo also feel called to travel as Bilbo did?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)