|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The company reaches the last stage of their journey where they must decide whether to go to __________ or Gondor.
2. What is the bloodthirsty and larger type of wolf that the travelers have to fight?
3. Frodo tells Gandalf he did not know that ______________, or men, could be so great.
4. Who says they do not trust Lady Galadriel and her words?
5. Who was the person who was supposed to destroy the One Ring and keep it out of Sauron's hands?
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Frodo decides to head off on his own, though the rest of the fellowship decides to follow anyway.
Part 1: Why is it important that Frodo go off on his journey alone?
Part 2: Is it a good idea to bring along Sam? Why or why not?
Part 3: What advantages might Frodo have in going off by himself on this journey?
Essay Topic 2
Power in this story is clearly something which corrupts, in a variety of ways as the story progresses.
Part 1: Why is power so alluring to the people in the story?
Part 2: Why are some people more attracted to holding power than others are?
Part 3: Is it possible to have a world without power struggles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Frodo and others seem to have the power to see the future and to begin to make decisions based on what they think might happen.
Part 1: Why is prophesy important in this story?
Part 2: How does prophesy affect the lives of the characters? Cite specific examples.
Part 3: Do you think prophesy should affect one's decisions? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)