|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides that he wants to head out with Frodo on the journey, even though it will be dangerous?
2. How many people does Elrond believe should be in the Fellowship of the Ring?
3. How many rings were hidden away from Sauron and have never been touched by him?
4. All of the travelers, before they leave, drink from the Cup of _____________.
5. Who makes the decision for the group to leave at once, even though Sting isn't glowing too brightly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many groups of characters in this story seem to give the reader different facets of humankind in general.
Part 1: Why are the Elves seen as being the fairest of all creatures? What or who might they symbolize in the modern world?
Part 2: Why are the Elves and Dwarves at odds with each other? What other cultures might they represent?
Part 3: Why do you think Tolkien portrayed the race of men as being weak?
Essay Topic 2
The Ring of Sauron poisons all men who seek it and it becomes the only thing that stands in the way of Good winning over Evil.
Part 1: What does the Ring of Sauron symbolize in this book?
Part 2: Why are people in this book so affected by this Ring?
Part 3: Do you think you would want to have this Ring in your possession? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The legend of the Ring is one that haunts some characters and inspires others.
Part 1: Why does the story of the Ring haunt Aragorn?
Part 2: Which characters find inspiration in the story of the Ring? Why?
Part 3: How are legends driving the various characters in the story?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)