|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ tricked the Elven Smiths into teaching him their secrets, according to Elrond.
2. Frodo asks where the ___________ is, but the Hobbits do not understand of what he is talking.
3. _____________ feels the direction they are taking will hasten their path and keep them out of sight.
4. All of the travelers, before they leave, drink from the Cup of _____________.
5. What does Celeborn offer to the travelers to help them speed their journey until they decide which path to follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At many points of the journey, the innocence of the Hobbits seems to almost get them into trouble.
Part 1: Why is innocence a good thing to have when you are in trouble?
Part 2: Why might being innocent hurt you when you are in a troublesome situation?
Part 3: Would you rather be innocent in the face of danger or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The Ring of Sauron poisons all men who seek it and it becomes the only thing that stands in the way of Good winning over Evil.
Part 1: What does the Ring of Sauron symbolize in this book?
Part 2: Why are people in this book so affected by this Ring?
Part 3: Do you think you would want to have this Ring in your possession? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One could say that the FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING is the beginning of a mythical story for the characters who are involved, a story which might be told to their children as time passes.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of myth and how does this different from a story?
Part 2: What makes this story mythical in nature?
Part 3: How are the characters in this story mythical? Which qualities make them so?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)