|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the only living creatures the travelers see as they set out on their path?
2. What decorates the new sheath for Aragorn's sword, as given to him by Lady Galadriel?
3. Lady Galadriel shares that she sees a ______________ about Gandalf as the travelers are counted by the Lord.
4. All of the travelers, before they leave, drink from the Cup of _____________.
5. Lothlorien is the fairest of all the ____________ of the Elves, according to Legolas.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bilbo give to Frodo on his last day in Rivendell?
2. Who takes Frodo up on their horse when they realize just how ill Frodo is from the stabbing by the Morgol blade?
3. What does Sam share with Frodo that he has seen, though he's not sure it was a dream or not?
4. What does Gandalf believe will help them as they head to the Mines of Moria?
5. How does Lord Celeborn greet Gimli when he arrives in Lothlorien?
6. In the last stage of their journey, what two directions are the travelers trying to choose between?
7. Who are some of the people who are attending the Council meeting in Rivendell?
8. What happened to the Ringwraiths when their horses were drowned in the flood?
9. What are the travelers given by the Elves in order to help their journey?
10. What does Frodo decide will be best for the Ring and for his quest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frodo seems the most unlikely carrier for the Ring, though he willingly takes up the task.
Part 1: Why do you think Frodo is willing to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Part 2: Which other character might have made a good ringbearer? Why?
Part 3: What makes Frodo the right person to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Essay Topic 2
The legend of the Ring is one that haunts some characters and inspires others.
Part 1: Why does the story of the Ring haunt Aragorn?
Part 2: Which characters find inspiration in the story of the Ring? Why?
Part 3: How are legends driving the various characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of the journey, the innocence of the Hobbits seems to almost get them into trouble.
Part 1: Why is innocence a good thing to have when you are in trouble?
Part 2: Why might being innocent hurt you when you are in a troublesome situation?
Part 3: Would you rather be innocent in the face of danger or not? Why?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)