|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they do not trust Lady Galadriel and her words?
2. The company reaches the last stage of their journey where they must decide whether to go to __________ or Gondor.
3. Who decides that he wants to head out with Frodo on the journey, even though it will be dangerous?
4. What has the Lady and her maidens made specially for the travelers in the Fellowship to wear?
5. Who is grabbed by the foot with a large tentacle as the travelers make their way inside the mines?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lord Celeborn greet Gimli when he arrives in Lothlorien?
2. What happened to the Ringwraiths when their horses were drowned in the flood?
3. What does Sam share with Frodo that he has seen, though he's not sure it was a dream or not?
4. How does Gandalf eventually open up the door to the Mines of Moria?
5. What is being described in the book Gandalf reads when they are in the Chamber of Records?
6. What does Frodo decide will be best for the Ring and for his quest?
7. Who is given the task of deciding which way the journey much continue?
8. What does Aragorn suggest in order to make the blindfolding fair for those who are traveling?
9. When Frodo awakes in a comfortable bed, what does Gandalf tell him?
10. What are the travelers given by the Elves in order to help their journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One could say that the FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING is the beginning of a mythical story for the characters who are involved, a story which might be told to their children as time passes.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of myth and how does this different from a story?
Part 2: What makes this story mythical in nature?
Part 3: How are the characters in this story mythical? Which qualities make them so?
Essay Topic 2
The legend of the Ring is one that haunts some characters and inspires others.
Part 1: Why does the story of the Ring haunt Aragorn?
Part 2: Which characters find inspiration in the story of the Ring? Why?
Part 3: How are legends driving the various characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the journey begins with the travels of Bilbo seeking to try new things and new adventures.
Part 1: Why are journeys so important?
Part 2: Why do you think Bilbo is such a wanderer?
Part 3: Why does Frodo also feel called to travel as Bilbo did?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)