|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose field are the Hobbits going to cross through, even though Frodo is hesitant to do so?
2. Which Hobbit is a great friend of the Farmer whose crops they cut through on their journey?
3. What kind of meal is being prepared for the Hobbits by Merry and Fatty?
4. Which companion does Frodo sense a change in as they are walking along on their journey?
5. What is the last name that Frodo gives for himself when asked by the innkeeper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who celebrates Frodo's 50th birthday with him with a small celebration before he goes off?
2. Who knew about Bilbo's magic trick before he did it in front of the guests at the party he throws?
3. What happens to Merry and Pippin when they lay down in the forest of trees?
4. Why does Frodo not want to cut through Farmer Maggot's land as they are traveling to Crickhollow?
5. What did Farmer Maggot tell the dark man, cloaked and hooded, when he asked about Baggins?
6. Why does Strider take the Hobbits in another direction to Weathertop as they leave Bree to continue their journey?
7. What is so special about Frodo turning 33 on the day of Bilbo's large party and suprise?
8. When Frodo asks Tom who he is, how does Tom describe himself to the Hobbits?
9. What does Frodo reply to the man at the gate of Bree when he asks about Frodo's business?
10. What does Butterbur give to the Hobbits when they are at the Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boromir is from the kingdom of Men, but at times he seems to show his weaknesses more than his strengths.
Part 1: Would you have chosen Boromir to be a part of your journey to Mordor? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why is Boromir interested in taking the ring for himself?
Part 3: What might have happened had Boromir have taken the ring for himself?
Essay Topic 2
At many points of the journey, the innocence of the Hobbits seems to almost get them into trouble.
Part 1: Why is innocence a good thing to have when you are in trouble?
Part 2: Why might being innocent hurt you when you are in a troublesome situation?
Part 3: Would you rather be innocent in the face of danger or not? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The legend of the Ring is one that haunts some characters and inspires others.
Part 1: Why does the story of the Ring haunt Aragorn?
Part 2: Which characters find inspiration in the story of the Ring? Why?
Part 3: How are legends driving the various characters in the story?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)