|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The group begins to realize that the __________ is being chosen for them, so they follow it.
2. Who bangs on Frodo's door in order to wake him up before they head on their journey?
3. What is the name of the Inn where the Hobbits decide to stay, even though Wanderers may be there?
4. What is Bilbo trying to finish when he goes on this last journey away from Hobbiton?
5. Where is Strider taking the Hobbits, though he takes a slightly different path than they start out taking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the magic trick Bilbo has decided to play on the people at the party he is planning?
2. What has Gandalf found out about the ring Bilbo had, and which Gandalf had persuaded Bilbo to leave with Frodo?
3. Why is Sam so insistent on joining Frodo on his journey, which is surprising to Frodo?
4. What does Frodo reply to the man at the gate of Bree when he asks about Frodo's business?
5. Who comes with the Hobbits to see them off on their journey as they leave Crickhollow?
6. What does Frodo do in order to distract himself from putting on the Ring in the tavern?
7. What do the other Hobbits know about the ring that Frodo carries with him?
8. How do the Hobbits plan to go to Crickhollow in order to reach Frodo's new home?
9. What is the rumor of the Elves that the Hobbits are just starting to hear about in their own town?
10. Who celebrates Frodo's 50th birthday with him with a small celebration before he goes off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frodo and others seem to have the power to see the future and to begin to make decisions based on what they think might happen.
Part 1: Why is prophesy important in this story?
Part 2: How does prophesy affect the lives of the characters? Cite specific examples.
Part 3: Do you think prophesy should affect one's decisions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The legend of the Ring is one that haunts some characters and inspires others.
Part 1: Why does the story of the Ring haunt Aragorn?
Part 2: Which characters find inspiration in the story of the Ring? Why?
Part 3: How are legends driving the various characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Power in this story is clearly something which corrupts, in a variety of ways as the story progresses.
Part 1: Why is power so alluring to the people in the story?
Part 2: Why are some people more attracted to holding power than others are?
Part 3: Is it possible to have a world without power struggles? Why or why not?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)