|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frodo decides to sell Bag End to ____________ when he moves away from his home.
2. Merry and Pippin decide to lie down at the foot of a large ___________ tree when they become sleepy.
3. What is filling the earthenware vessels that are scattered around the feet of Tom's wife?
4. Frodo tries to talk Sam out of coming with him, saying that the journey is ____________.
5. How many Great Rings were made, according to Gandalf's research over the years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in Frodo's house when they arrive during the night?
2. Describe the wife of Tom Bombadil, Goldberry. What does she look like and by what is she surrounded?
3. Who knew about Bilbo's magic trick before he did it in front of the guests at the party he throws?
4. What happens when Tom takes the ring in his hand after Frodo hands it to him?
5. What does Frodo do in order to distract himself from putting on the Ring in the tavern?
6. Why do the other Hobbits think Frodo is strange and as odd after Bilbo leaves the Shire?
7. What is in the Barrows-Wight cave in which Frodo realizes he is imprisoned?
8. What does Frodo regret as he comes upon his 50th birthday, the same age Bilbo was when Bilbo left for a great adventure?
9. When Frodo asks Tom who he is, how does Tom describe himself to the Hobbits?
10. Who celebrates Frodo's 50th birthday with him with a small celebration before he goes off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ring of Sauron poisons all men who seek it and it becomes the only thing that stands in the way of Good winning over Evil.
Part 1: What does the Ring of Sauron symbolize in this book?
Part 2: Why are people in this book so affected by this Ring?
Part 3: Do you think you would want to have this Ring in your possession? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the journey begins with the travels of Bilbo seeking to try new things and new adventures.
Part 1: Why are journeys so important?
Part 2: Why do you think Bilbo is such a wanderer?
Part 3: Why does Frodo also feel called to travel as Bilbo did?
Essay Topic 3
The legend of the Ring is one that haunts some characters and inspires others.
Part 1: Why does the story of the Ring haunt Aragorn?
Part 2: Which characters find inspiration in the story of the Ring? Why?
Part 3: How are legends driving the various characters in the story?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)