Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is coming with Biblo as he heads out on his journey?
2. Who has been heading West in large groups, leaving Middle Earth for some reason?
3. What did the Elves leave behind for the Hobbits when they woke up?
4. What is Bilbo trying to finish when he goes on this last journey away from Hobbiton?
5. What does Frodo compliment when talking to Tom Bombadil's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sam is walking around to look for the ponies, he hears a splash. What happened?
2. What is so special about Frodo turning 33 on the day of Bilbo's large party and suprise?
3. What did Farmer Maggot tell the dark man, cloaked and hooded, when he asked about Baggins?
4. What does Frodo dream about during his first night's sleep at Crickhollow?
5. Why don't the travelers in the Fellowship worry when they get through the door away from the Orcs?
6. What happens when Tom takes the ring in his hand after Frodo hands it to him?
7. What does Frodo do in order to save his friends from their terrible fate?
8. What happened to the Ringwraiths when their horses were drowned in the flood?
9. What does Butterbur give to the Hobbits when they are at the Inn?
10. Where do the travelers decide to stay before they make the decision to go to Gondor or to Moria?
Essay Topic 1
The note from Gandalf reminds Frodo to choose people he trusts as he sets out on his journey.
Part 1: Why is it important to trust the people you are with when heading out on a dangerous journey?
Part 2: Doesn't bringing along those whom you trust put them in harm's way? Why do you think Frodo's friends don't think of that and refuse to come with him?
Part 3: How do you think trust will help the Fellowship as they set out on their journey?
Essay Topic 2
When Frodo offers the ring to Galadriel, she is tempted to take it, but resists.
Part 1: Why do you think Frodo offered the ring to Galadriel?
Part 2: Why would Galadriel have wanted to take the ring for herself?
Part 3: Why does Galadriel finally resist the ring? What might have happened had she not resisted?
Essay Topic 3
Frodo seems the most unlikely carrier for the Ring, though he willingly takes up the task.
Part 1: Why do you think Frodo is willing to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Part 2: Which other character might have made a good ringbearer? Why?
Part 3: What makes Frodo the right person to take the ring to Mount Doom?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)