|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom's wife tells the Hobbits that she is the daughter of the _________.
2. What is the job title of Gaffer Gamgee, father of Sam Gamgee?
3. Tom tells the Hobbits that the heart of Old Man Willow is _____________.
4. Who says that he can see ahead and understands the danger but that he knows he can not turn back from the task?
5. When the Hobbits hear hoofbeats coming, who do they think it is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is given the task of deciding which way the journey much continue?
2. What does Butterbur give to the Hobbits when they are at the Inn?
3. Who comes with the Hobbits to see them off on their journey as they leave Crickhollow?
4. Who knew about Bilbo's magic trick before he did it in front of the guests at the party he throws?
5. What happens when Tom takes the ring in his hand after Frodo hands it to him?
6. What does Goldberry say to the Hobbits as they are leaving Tom's house?
7. What happens when Pippin yells at the trees to let them through on their journey?
8. What kind of party is Bilbo Baggins planning at the beginning of the "Fellowship of the Ring"?
9. What does Frodo do in order to save his friends from their terrible fate?
10. What has Gandalf found out about the ring Bilbo had, and which Gandalf had persuaded Bilbo to leave with Frodo?
Essay Topic 1
Frodo and others seem to have the power to see the future and to begin to make decisions based on what they think might happen.
Part 1: Why is prophesy important in this story?
Part 2: How does prophesy affect the lives of the characters? Cite specific examples.
Part 3: Do you think prophesy should affect one's decisions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of points in which the characters sing or relate poems to each other, which makes the story sound very much out of place in today's world.
Part 1: Why do you think Tolkien decided to use so much poetry and song?
Part 2: What does the use of poetry and song by some characters say about their personalities?
Part 3: Would the story have been different had the poetry and song not been included? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The many groups of characters in this story seem to give the reader different facets of humankind in general.
Part 1: Why are the Elves seen as being the fairest of all creatures? What or who might they symbolize in the modern world?
Part 2: Why are the Elves and Dwarves at odds with each other? What other cultures might they represent?
Part 3: Why do you think Tolkien portrayed the race of men as being weak?
This section contains 1,876 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)