|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ has prepared six ponies, food, drink, and clothing for the journey and won't take no for an answer.
2. Bilbo realized the ring had many strange habits, growing smaller and larger at will and seemed to have its own _______.
3. Who sees a black shadow first as the Hobbits are traveling across the river?
4. Who says that he can see ahead and understands the danger but that he knows he can not turn back from the task?
5. __________ has been actively seeking the One Ring, according to Gandalf.
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Frodo tell Gandalf he will leave the Shire and his Hobbit life?
2. What does Fatty Bolger do when the Black Riders come into Crickhollow?
3. What is in the Barrows-Wight cave in which Frodo realizes he is imprisoned?
4. What does Sam tell Frodo about trusting the stranger, Strider?
5. What does Frodo dream about during his first night's sleep at Crickhollow?
6. What does Tom reply when Frodo asks him how he heard their cries for help?
7. What does Frodo reply to the man at the gate of Bree when he asks about Frodo's business?
8. What has Gandalf found out about the ring Bilbo had, and which Gandalf had persuaded Bilbo to leave with Frodo?
9. What is so special about Frodo turning 33 on the day of Bilbo's large party and suprise?
10. Why does Frodo not want to cut through Farmer Maggot's land as they are traveling to Crickhollow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this book, the characters are either on a road or near one, constantly reminding the reader of the journey.
Part 1: Why are the characters not supposed to stay on the well-known roads?
Part 2: Why do you think the road is a recurring symbol in this story? What might Tolkien's motivation have been?
Part 3: How do you think the presence of the road affects the journey of the Fellowship? Or doesn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Frodo seems the most unlikely carrier for the Ring, though he willingly takes up the task.
Part 1: Why do you think Frodo is willing to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Part 2: Which other character might have made a good ringbearer? Why?
Part 3: What makes Frodo the right person to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Essay Topic 3
Power in this story is clearly something which corrupts, in a variety of ways as the story progresses.
Part 1: Why is power so alluring to the people in the story?
Part 2: Why are some people more attracted to holding power than others are?
Part 3: Is it possible to have a world without power struggles? Why or why not?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)