|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam advises Frodo not to take any aid from Strider because he comes from the __________.
2. What does Sam throw at the person who taunts them about keeping company with Strider?
3. Tom's wife tells the Hobbits that she is the daughter of the _________.
4. What does Frodo celebrate every year since the leaving of Bilbo?
5. What does Gandalf do to the ring to see if it is indeed the most powerful ring created?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frodo dream about during his first night's sleep at Crickhollow?
2. Who celebrates Frodo's 50th birthday with him with a small celebration before he goes off?
3. What is the rumor of the Elves that the Hobbits are just starting to hear about in their own town?
4. Describe what Sam, Merry, and Pippin look like in the Barrows-Wight cave?
5. When Sam is walking around to look for the ponies, he hears a splash. What happened?
6. What does Frodo regret as he comes upon his 50th birthday, the same age Bilbo was when Bilbo left for a great adventure?
7. What does Sam tell Frodo about trusting the stranger, Strider?
8. What is the magic trick Bilbo has decided to play on the people at the party he is planning?
9. What is Gildor's reaction to the fact that Gandalf has not arrived as promised yet?
10. What does Frodo do with his home Bag End when he is making preparations to leave the land of Hobbits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The note from Gandalf reminds Frodo to choose people he trusts as he sets out on his journey.
Part 1: Why is it important to trust the people you are with when heading out on a dangerous journey?
Part 2: Doesn't bringing along those whom you trust put them in harm's way? Why do you think Frodo's friends don't think of that and refuse to come with him?
Part 3: How do you think trust will help the Fellowship as they set out on their journey?
Essay Topic 2
The quest between good and evil is the running theme of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.
Part 1: Do you think good and evil are clearly defined in this book? Why or why not?
Part 2: What are some of the examples of people who are clearly good? What makes them good? Why are they good?
Part 3: Which characters are clearly evil? What makes them evil? Why are they evil?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of the journey, the innocence of the Hobbits seems to almost get them into trouble.
Part 1: Why is innocence a good thing to have when you are in trouble?
Part 2: Why might being innocent hurt you when you are in a troublesome situation?
Part 3: Would you rather be innocent in the face of danger or not? Why?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)