|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam throw at the person who taunts them about keeping company with Strider?
2. What does Frodo have a strong urge to do when the Dark Rider comes close?
3. Sam advises Frodo not to take any aid from Strider because he comes from the __________.
4. What does Frodo compliment when talking to Tom Bombadil's wife?
5. An __________________ grabs Frodo's arm as he passes out as he calls for his friends.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sam so insistent on joining Frodo on his journey, which is surprising to Frodo?
2. What does Aragorn reveal to the Elves about the demise of Gandalf?
3. What does Strider come back with when he goes out to scout out a bridge that they might have to cross?
4. What is the rumor of the Elves that the Hobbits are just starting to hear about in their own town?
5. What does Frodo regret as he comes upon his 50th birthday, the same age Bilbo was when Bilbo left for a great adventure?
6. What does Butterbur give to the Hobbits when they are at the Inn?
7. What has Gandalf found out about the ring Bilbo had, and which Gandalf had persuaded Bilbo to leave with Frodo?
8. What does Aragorn suggest in order to make the blindfolding fair for those who are traveling?
9. Why does Frodo not want to cut through Farmer Maggot's land as they are traveling to Crickhollow?
10. What does Frodo dream about during his first night's sleep at Crickhollow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this book, the characters are either on a road or near one, constantly reminding the reader of the journey.
Part 1: Why are the characters not supposed to stay on the well-known roads?
Part 2: Why do you think the road is a recurring symbol in this story? What might Tolkien's motivation have been?
Part 3: How do you think the presence of the road affects the journey of the Fellowship? Or doesn't it?
Essay Topic 2
When Frodo offers the ring to Galadriel, she is tempted to take it, but resists.
Part 1: Why do you think Frodo offered the ring to Galadriel?
Part 2: Why would Galadriel have wanted to take the ring for herself?
Part 3: Why does Galadriel finally resist the ring? What might have happened had she not resisted?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of points in which the characters sing or relate poems to each other, which makes the story sound very much out of place in today's world.
Part 1: Why do you think Tolkien decided to use so much poetry and song?
Part 2: What does the use of poetry and song by some characters say about their personalities?
Part 3: Would the story have been different had the poetry and song not been included? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,919 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)