|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gandalf instruct Bilbo to put the ring which clearly has a hold over him?
2. Frodo dreams of a sea and of a large ___________ tower that he has to climb for some reason.
3. The Elves do not know the exact reason Frodo is leaving ___________.
4. Who turns back on the journey at first as he has forgotten to say goodbye to Goldberry?
5. What is filling the earthenware vessels that are scattered around the feet of Tom's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Gandalf found out about the ring Bilbo had, and which Gandalf had persuaded Bilbo to leave with Frodo?
2. What does Frodo do with his home Bag End when he is making preparations to leave the land of Hobbits?
3. Who celebrates Frodo's 50th birthday with him with a small celebration before he goes off?
4. Why does Strider take the Hobbits in another direction to Weathertop as they leave Bree to continue their journey?
5. What does Frodo regret as he comes upon his 50th birthday, the same age Bilbo was when Bilbo left for a great adventure?
6. When does Frodo tell Gandalf he will leave the Shire and his Hobbit life?
7. What did Farmer Maggot tell the dark man, cloaked and hooded, when he asked about Baggins?
8. What is the rumor of the Elves that the Hobbits are just starting to hear about in their own town?
9. What does Frodo dream about during his first night's sleep at Crickhollow?
10. Why does Frodo not want to cut through Farmer Maggot's land as they are traveling to Crickhollow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At many points of the journey, the innocence of the Hobbits seems to almost get them into trouble.
Part 1: Why is innocence a good thing to have when you are in trouble?
Part 2: Why might being innocent hurt you when you are in a troublesome situation?
Part 3: Would you rather be innocent in the face of danger or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The quest between good and evil is the running theme of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.
Part 1: Do you think good and evil are clearly defined in this book? Why or why not?
Part 2: What are some of the examples of people who are clearly good? What makes them good? Why are they good?
Part 3: Which characters are clearly evil? What makes them evil? Why are they evil?
Essay Topic 3
One could say that the FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING is the beginning of a mythical story for the characters who are involved, a story which might be told to their children as time passes.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of myth and how does this different from a story?
Part 2: What makes this story mythical in nature?
Part 3: How are the characters in this story mythical? Which qualities make them so?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)