|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The other Hobbits already know about the ___________ that Frodo has.
2. Who is worried about Gandalf's lateness?
3. Frodo dreams of a sea and of a large ___________ tower that he has to climb for some reason.
4. What do the Hobbits hear that causes them to be less jovial as they walk?
5. What do Sam and Frodo hear in the distance as they cry for help for their friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fatty Bolger do when the Black Riders come into Crickhollow?
2. What does Frodo dream about during his first night's sleep at Crickhollow?
3. What do the other Hobbits know about the ring that Frodo carries with him?
4. What does Frodo do in order to save his friends from their terrible fate?
5. What is in the Barrows-Wight cave in which Frodo realizes he is imprisoned?
6. Why does Strider take the Hobbits in another direction to Weathertop as they leave Bree to continue their journey?
7. Who is in Frodo's house when they arrive during the night?
8. What happens to Merry and Pippin when they lay down in the forest of trees?
9. What does Pippin reveal to Frodo that actually makes Frodo a bit upset to learn?
10. What does Frodo do with his home Bag End when he is making preparations to leave the land of Hobbits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boromir is from the kingdom of Men, but at times he seems to show his weaknesses more than his strengths.
Part 1: Would you have chosen Boromir to be a part of your journey to Mordor? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why is Boromir interested in taking the ring for himself?
Part 3: What might have happened had Boromir have taken the ring for himself?
Essay Topic 2
Tolkien is known to have been a devoted Christian and his ideas and beliefs are found in his writing.
Part 1: Why do you think the battle between good and evil is so important to Tolkien?
Part 2: Why would Tolkien have written this story and used Christianity as a theme?
Part 3: In what ways do you think Tolkien is supporting Christianity with this story? Cite some examples.
Essay Topic 3
The Ring of Sauron poisons all men who seek it and it becomes the only thing that stands in the way of Good winning over Evil.
Part 1: What does the Ring of Sauron symbolize in this book?
Part 2: Why are people in this book so affected by this Ring?
Part 3: Do you think you would want to have this Ring in your possession? Why or why not?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)