|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Riders decide to flee the area because they realize ___________ is not there.
2. Sam advises Frodo not to take any aid from Strider because he comes from the __________.
3. What does Sam throw at the person who taunts them about keeping company with Strider?
4. Who is NOT as the birthday party for Frodo on his 50th birthday?
5. Who offers Frodo some good advice, but there will be a price to pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Farmer Maggot tell the dark man, cloaked and hooded, when he asked about Baggins?
2. What does Goldberry say to the Hobbits as they are leaving Tom's house?
3. What does Fatty Bolger do when the Black Riders come into Crickhollow?
4. What is the rumor of the Elves that the Hobbits are just starting to hear about in their own town?
5. Describe the wife of Tom Bombadil, Goldberry. What does she look like and by what is she surrounded?
6. What does Butterbur give to the Hobbits when they are at the Inn?
7. When Frodo asks Tom who he is, how does Tom describe himself to the Hobbits?
8. Describe what Sam, Merry, and Pippin look like in the Barrows-Wight cave?
9. When does Frodo tell Gandalf he will leave the Shire and his Hobbit life?
10. What do the other Hobbits know about the ring that Frodo carries with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At many points of the journey, the innocence of the Hobbits seems to almost get them into trouble.
Part 1: Why is innocence a good thing to have when you are in trouble?
Part 2: Why might being innocent hurt you when you are in a troublesome situation?
Part 3: Would you rather be innocent in the face of danger or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Frodo and others seem to have the power to see the future and to begin to make decisions based on what they think might happen.
Part 1: Why is prophesy important in this story?
Part 2: How does prophesy affect the lives of the characters? Cite specific examples.
Part 3: Do you think prophesy should affect one's decisions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Ring of Sauron poisons all men who seek it and it becomes the only thing that stands in the way of Good winning over Evil.
Part 1: What does the Ring of Sauron symbolize in this book?
Part 2: Why are people in this book so affected by this Ring?
Part 3: Do you think you would want to have this Ring in your possession? Why or why not?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)