|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is coming with Biblo as he heads out on his journey?
2. What will Gandalf be providing the Baggins' party when he comes into Hobbiton?
3. Who sees a black shadow first as the Hobbits are traveling across the river?
4. Who were the goldsmiths who made the rings of power in the first place?
5. What is the name of Tom's wife, the woman who is sitting in a large chair when the Hobbits arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom reply when Frodo asks him how he heard their cries for help?
2. When Sam is walking around to look for the ponies, he hears a splash. What happened?
3. Why does Strider take the Hobbits in another direction to Weathertop as they leave Bree to continue their journey?
4. What does Fatty Bolger do when the Black Riders come into Crickhollow?
5. Who knew about Bilbo's magic trick before he did it in front of the guests at the party he throws?
6. How do the Hobbits plan to go to Crickhollow in order to reach Frodo's new home?
7. What does Frodo do in order to distract himself from putting on the Ring in the tavern?
8. Who is in Frodo's house when they arrive during the night?
9. What does Frodo dream about during his first night's sleep at Crickhollow?
10. What is in the Barrows-Wight cave in which Frodo realizes he is imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the journey begins with the travels of Bilbo seeking to try new things and new adventures.
Part 1: Why are journeys so important?
Part 2: Why do you think Bilbo is such a wanderer?
Part 3: Why does Frodo also feel called to travel as Bilbo did?
Essay Topic 2
The quest between good and evil is the running theme of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.
Part 1: Do you think good and evil are clearly defined in this book? Why or why not?
Part 2: What are some of the examples of people who are clearly good? What makes them good? Why are they good?
Part 3: Which characters are clearly evil? What makes them evil? Why are they evil?
Essay Topic 3
Frodo seems the most unlikely carrier for the Ring, though he willingly takes up the task.
Part 1: Why do you think Frodo is willing to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Part 2: Which other character might have made a good ringbearer? Why?
Part 3: What makes Frodo the right person to take the ring to Mount Doom?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)