|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the goldsmiths who made the rings of power in the first place?
2. What does Tom say brought him to Frodo and the others in their time of need?
3. What do Sam and Frodo do in order to try to get the tree to release Merry and Pippin?
4. __________ has been actively seeking the One Ring, according to Gandalf.
5. Frodo's new home was chosen because it can not ______________ from the road.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Farmer Maggot tell the dark man, cloaked and hooded, when he asked about Baggins?
2. What happens to Merry and Pippin when they lay down in the forest of trees?
3. Who is in Frodo's house when they arrive during the night?
4. What happens when Pippin yells at the trees to let them through on their journey?
5. Who comes with the Hobbits to see them off on their journey as they leave Crickhollow?
6. What is so special about Frodo turning 33 on the day of Bilbo's large party and suprise?
7. What does Frodo regret as he comes upon his 50th birthday, the same age Bilbo was when Bilbo left for a great adventure?
8. What happens when Tom takes the ring in his hand after Frodo hands it to him?
9. Why do the other Hobbits think Frodo is strange and as odd after Bilbo leaves the Shire?
10. What does Frodo dream about during his first night's sleep at Crickhollow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the journey begins with the travels of Bilbo seeking to try new things and new adventures.
Part 1: Why are journeys so important?
Part 2: Why do you think Bilbo is such a wanderer?
Part 3: Why does Frodo also feel called to travel as Bilbo did?
Essay Topic 2
Frodo seems the most unlikely carrier for the Ring, though he willingly takes up the task.
Part 1: Why do you think Frodo is willing to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Part 2: Which other character might have made a good ringbearer? Why?
Part 3: What makes Frodo the right person to take the ring to Mount Doom?
Essay Topic 3
The note from Gandalf reminds Frodo to choose people he trusts as he sets out on his journey.
Part 1: Why is it important to trust the people you are with when heading out on a dangerous journey?
Part 2: Doesn't bringing along those whom you trust put them in harm's way? Why do you think Frodo's friends don't think of that and refuse to come with him?
Part 3: How do you think trust will help the Fellowship as they set out on their journey?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)