|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the spy for the Black Riders who sells the Hobbits and Strider a sickly pony?
2. To where is Frodo going to move in order to be safer than he is is in Bag End?
3. When the Hobbits hear hoofbeats coming, who do they think it is?
(b) An Elf
(d) Sam's dad
4. What do most people in Hobbiton now think has happened to Bilbo?
(a) He's dead
(b) He is a king
(c) He is coming back soon
(d) He never really left
5. How old is Bilbo Baggins going to be on his birthday that he's about to celebrate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is coming with Biblo as he heads out on his journey?
2. Who sees a black shadow first as the Hobbits are traveling across the river?
3. The ring that Frodo has in his possession is the __________ ring, the one ring to rule them all.
4. Merry has strange dreams of _____________ when he is sleeping at Tom Bombadil's house.
5. What news alarms the Elves so much that they decide to stay with Frodo and the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frodo not want to cut through Farmer Maggot's land as they are traveling to Crickhollow?
2. Why does Strider take the Hobbits in another direction to Weathertop as they leave Bree to continue their journey?
3. What does Tom reply when Frodo asks him how he heard their cries for help?
4. Who knew about Bilbo's magic trick before he did it in front of the guests at the party he throws?
5. What does Frodo reply to the man at the gate of Bree when he asks about Frodo's business?
6. Describe the wife of Tom Bombadil, Goldberry. What does she look like and by what is she surrounded?
7. What is in the Barrows-Wight cave in which Frodo realizes he is imprisoned?
8. What happens when Pippin yells at the trees to let them through on their journey?
9. What does Butterbur give to the Hobbits when they are at the Inn?
10. Who celebrates Frodo's 50th birthday with him with a small celebration before he goes off?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)