|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Strider taking the Hobbits, though he takes a slightly different path than they start out taking?
(a) Minas Morgol
(c) The Shire
2. When the Hobbits and Strider awake, they find the beds have been _______________, though they did not sleep in them.
3. What does the man call the tree that is holding Merry and Pippin?
(a) Old Man Willow
(b) Old Man Oak
(c) Old Willow
(d) Old Man
4. What do the Hobbits hear that causes them to be less jovial as they walk?
(b) Glass breaking
(c) Nothing, absolutely nothing
(d) Moaning wail
5. What does Sam run to give his father before they depart on their journey?
(a) A plant
(b) Key to Bag End
(c) The ring
(d) A piece of gold
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Frodo going to be on his birthday which he shares with Bilbo?
2. Tom's wife tells the Hobbits that she is the daughter of the _________.
3. Who is the dark stranger asking Sam's father about as the Hobbits overhear the conversation?
4. What does Frodo see walking on its fingers towards the hilt of a sword laying across the necks of Frodo's friends?
5. Who were the goldsmiths who made the rings of power in the first place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sam so insistent on joining Frodo on his journey, which is surprising to Frodo?
2. What is so special about Frodo turning 33 on the day of Bilbo's large party and suprise?
3. Who comes with the Hobbits to see them off on their journey as they leave Crickhollow?
4. When Frodo asks Tom who he is, how does Tom describe himself to the Hobbits?
5. What does Sam tell Frodo about trusting the stranger, Strider?
6. What is Gildor's reaction to the fact that Gandalf has not arrived as promised yet?
7. When Sam is walking around to look for the ponies, he hears a splash. What happened?
8. What does Frodo do in order to save his friends from their terrible fate?
9. Why does Frodo not want to cut through Farmer Maggot's land as they are traveling to Crickhollow?
10. Why does Strider take the Hobbits in another direction to Weathertop as they leave Bree to continue their journey?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)