|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Elves leave behind for the Hobbits when they woke up?
(a) Precious stones
(b) Food and drink
2. Who is the friend of Fatty Bolger who helps to prepare Frodo's new home for him before he arrives?
3. Who goes off to cool his feet in the river, nearly drowning when he is pulled in by a root?
4. What is another name for the Wanderers about whom the Hobbits have begun to hear?
5. Who bangs on Frodo's door in order to wake him up before they head on their journey?
6. What does Frodo have a strong urge to do when the Dark Rider comes close?
(c) Put on the ring
7. Who did Gandalf want to go to for advice, though something always stopped him from doing so?
8. The ring that Frodo has in his possession is the __________ ring, the one ring to rule them all.
9. Who were the protectors of the Hobbits for an evening?
10. Tom's wife tells the Hobbits that she is the daughter of the _________.
11. What do Sam, Merry, and Pippin have on their heads as Frodo turns to face them?
12. Who were the goldsmiths who made the rings of power in the first place?
13. In what town do Frodo, Merry, Sam, and Pippin arrive at the beginning of this chapter?
14. What color is the dress of the woman with the long golden hair in Tom's house?
15. What does Gandalf do to the ring to see if it is indeed the most powerful ring created?
(a) Chant on it
(b) Hit it with his wand
(c) Put it on
(d) Throw it into the fire
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam run to give his father before they depart on their journey?
2. What does Tom say brought him to Frodo and the others in their time of need?
3. Who sees a black shadow first as the Hobbits are traveling across the river?
4. Who yells at the trees to let the group through as they are traveling?
5. What is the job title of Gaffer Gamgee, father of Sam Gamgee?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)