Objective: The birthday that Frodo and Bilbo share is one that is a coming of age for Frodo in the beginning of the story. Today's objective is to talk about the idea of "coming of age" and what that means for the story and for the characters in the story.
1) 1. Have each student discuss what they feel coming of age means to them. is it a specific age or specific event?
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss whether they think they have come of age yet. Why or why not?
3. As a class, have the students discuss the importance of coming of age. What does this provide for a person? Does a stalled coming of age hinder a person? Why or why not?
4. Homework: Have each student discuss why the coming of age might be important for Frodo in this story. What might this event signify?
5. Homework: Have students decide...
This section contains 5,771 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)