|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Violet's father have to save for her to go to the moon?
2. What does Titus note a hologram looks like?
3. What does Titus find ironic?
4. What is wrong with the sea?
5. What does Titus think Violet might be talking about as she mentions things she wants to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Loga and Calista are mean to Violet in 'The Real Thing'.
2. Explain what has happened to Jefferson Park, and why Violet and Titus' father argue about this.
3. Describe Violet's experience as she received FeedTech's response.
4. Explain what Violet tells Titus about Central America, and what he hears on the radio.
5. List as many items as you can from Violet's 'to do' list.
6. Explain how Link received his name.
7. Explain why Titus is confused as he and Violet sit in her house, and she talks of all the things she wants to do.
8. Explain what happens when Violet sends the advertisements she received from her shopping trip to Titus.
9. Explain what Quendy means when she chastises Titus in '86.5%'
10. Explain why Titus enjoys Violet so much.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Feed" has been labeled by some as an ironic satire. How does the author use satire to make points in the novel? How does he use irony? Do you feel this method is successful, in this case? Why or why not? Overall, what do you think Anderson is saying about our relationship to technology, media, and consumerism? Does his use of satire allow this point to be made convincingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The novel makes a strong point about the teens level of consumerism, in that the teenagers are constantly bombarded with advertisements and changes to fashion. Locate examples of these fashion changes throughout the book. What are the examples? Why do the teenagers automatically follow them? What happens toward the end of the book that makes the teenager's freeze? What do you think the author is saying about consumerism?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, author M.T. Anderson makes reference to many issues currently facing the world, including a reliance on technology, corporate ownership of nearly everything, a dumbing down of society, environmental issues, and others. Choose one of the issues M.T. Anderson discusses in the novel that affects the modern world. What is the issue? How does this issue appear in our own time? How is it portrayed in the novel? What do you think Anderson is trying to say about this issue?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)