|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Titus accuse Violet of doing?
2. What does Titus wish Violet would be?
3. Why couldn't Violet's parents have her freestyle?
4. What was put in place of Jefferson Park?
5. What does Violet's father have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Violet's experience as she received FeedTech's response.
2. What does Violet chat to Titus about her family, and their feeds?
3. Describe what Titus is experiencing at the end of 'A Day in the Country'.
4. Describe the sea as Titus and Violet view it, and what is shows about the world Titus lives in.
5. Explain what Violet tells Titus about Central America, and what he hears on the radio.
6. Describe Titus and Violet's fight about the state of America, and why it made Titus feel stupid.
7. What does Violet say about her idea of what living life is?
8. Explain what has happened to Jefferson Park, and why Violet and Titus' father argue about this.
9. Explain why Loga and Calista are mean to Violet in 'The Real Thing'.
10. Explain what happens when Violet sends the advertisements she received from her shopping trip to Titus.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titus' world in the novel is in an environmental crisis. Using details from the book, discuss the world Titus leaves in. What has happened to the sun, air, clouds, and oceans? Why are domes needed? Why do they need suits to play near the water? What is covering the domes? What killed people in Central America? What is happening to the people themselves? Why is no one making an effort to change this?
Essay Topic 2
Violet's character is unique in the novel, in that she is a traditionalist, whereas Titus is not. Compare and contrast Violet's character with those of Titus and his friends. How is she similar? How is she different? What are these differences? Why do you think such differences exist? What does this say about the effect of the feed and of social class on the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Another theme throughout the novel is the level of intelligence in the teenagers of the book. Titus argues, at one point, that people are super smart as a result of the feed, whereas Violet argues, at one point, that the feed is creating a generation of "ignorant, self centered idiots" (pg. 113). Which do you agree with, and why? Do you think the feed is entirely responsible, or do you think there are other factors? What are they? Be sure to support your ideas using examples from the book.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)