|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when ads start coming over the feed at the end of 'Sniffling'?
2. What does Calista get at the beginning of 'Limbo and Prayer'?
3. What does the nurse say about Violet in this hospital?
4. What riot does Violet ask about?
5. What does Violet claim the ads on their feed are based on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Titus uneasy around Violet?
2. Describe Violet's father.
3. List as many items as you can from Violet's 'to do' list.
4. Explain why Titus is confused as he and Violet sit in her house, and she talks of all the things she wants to do.
5. Explain why Violet wants to try to resist the feed.
6. Explain what happens during Spin the Bottle.
7. Describe Violet's experience as she received FeedTech's response.
8. Explain why Loga and Calista are mean to Violet in 'The Real Thing'.
9. Explain what happens when Violet sends the advertisements she received from her shopping trip to Titus.
10. Explain what Violet tells Titus about Central America, and what he hears on the radio.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violet and Quendy are two of the females in the novel, and are very different from one another. Their differences explain much about the characters, and their lives in the novel. Choose one of the following topics to discuss.
1) Compare and contrast Violet and Quendy. How are they the same? How are they different? Include examples from the book.
2) Why do you think Quendy and Violet are so drastically different from one another? Be sure to include information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Another theme throughout the novel is the level of intelligence in the teenagers of the book. Titus argues, at one point, that people are super smart as a result of the feed, whereas Violet argues, at one point, that the feed is creating a generation of "ignorant, self centered idiots" (pg. 113). Which do you agree with, and why? Do you think the feed is entirely responsible, or do you think there are other factors? What are they? Be sure to support your ideas using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Titus' world in the novel is in an environmental crisis. Using details from the book, discuss the world Titus leaves in. What has happened to the sun, air, clouds, and oceans? Why are domes needed? Why do they need suits to play near the water? What is covering the domes? What killed people in Central America? What is happening to the people themselves? Why is no one making an effort to change this?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)