|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet think Quendy's lesions represent?
2. What has Violet lost?
3. Why is Quendy angry with Titus?
4. What does Titus wish Violet would be?
5. What controls the sun in Violet's world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Titus and Violet's fight about the state of America, and why it made Titus feel stupid.
2. Explain what happens when Violet sends the advertisements she received from her shopping trip to Titus.
3. Describe Titus' dream in 'Nudging Again'?
4. Explain why Violet wants to try to resist the feed.
5. Explain what Quendy means when she chastises Titus in '86.5%'
6. Describe the dilemma Titus experiences as he tries to buy an upcar.
7. List as many items as you can from Violet's 'to do' list.
8. Explain the discomfort between Titus and Violet as they are lying on the grass outside her home.
9. Why is Titus uneasy around Violet?
10. Explain why Titus enjoys Violet so much.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel makes a strong point about the teens level of consumerism, in that the teenagers are constantly bombarded with advertisements and changes to fashion. Locate examples of these fashion changes throughout the book. What are the examples? Why do the teenagers automatically follow them? What happens toward the end of the book that makes the teenager's freeze? What do you think the author is saying about consumerism?
Essay Topic 2
In the book, author M.T. Anderson makes reference to many issues currently facing the world, including a reliance on technology, corporate ownership of nearly everything, a dumbing down of society, environmental issues, and others. Choose one of the issues M.T. Anderson discusses in the novel that affects the modern world. What is the issue? How does this issue appear in our own time? How is it portrayed in the novel? What do you think Anderson is trying to say about this issue?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, there are several examples of teenage relationships. Choose one of the following pairs, and analyze the relationship. Is it a friendship, or a romance, or both? What is the relationship based on? Is it mutual, or primarily one sided? Do you think it is indicative of modern teenage relationship? Why or why not?
1. Violet and Titus.
2. Titus and Quendy
3. Titus and Link
4. Link and Calista
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)