|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet tell Titus happened in Central America?
2. What happens to Violet's during dinner?
3. What does Titus wish Violet would be?
4. What happens when ads start coming over the feed at the end of 'Sniffling'?
5. What happens to Violet at the end of 'Our Duty to the Party'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet say about her idea of what living life is?
2. Explain what Violet tells Titus about Central America, and what he hears on the radio.
3. Explain why Titus is confused as he and Violet sit in her house, and she talks of all the things she wants to do.
4. What does Violet tell Titus in the upcar on the way to her house, and why is this important?
5. Describe Violet's experience as she received FeedTech's response.
6. Describe the sea as Titus and Violet view it, and what is shows about the world Titus lives in.
7. List as many items as you can from Violet's 'to do' list.
8. Explain what happens when Violet sends the advertisements she received from her shopping trip to Titus.
9. Explain why Violet wants to try to resist the feed.
10. Explain the discomfort between Titus and Violet as they are lying on the grass outside her home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another strong theme in the novel is the marketing of products to teenagers. Throughout the novel, the kids receive banner advertisements for a number of products, and even spend an entire chapter trying to win free Coke. Choose three examples of marketing in the novel, and discuss who is being marketed to, the product, and why that particular audience was chosen in the book. Also, do you think the extreme amount of marketing done in the novel has an affect on the kids? What is it?
Essay Topic 2
Violet's character is unique in the novel, in that she is a traditionalist, whereas Titus is not. Compare and contrast Violet's character with those of Titus and his friends. How is she similar? How is she different? What are these differences? Why do you think such differences exist? What does this say about the effect of the feed and of social class on the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Violet's father feels very differently about the world than other individuals. Discuss Violet's father. Why is he different than other parents? What is his primary goal? Why does he home school Violet? What effect does this have on her? What is his passion? Why does he choose to speak as he does? Who does he blame at the end of the novel for the death of his daughter, and why?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)