|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calista get at the beginning of 'Limbo and Prayer'?
2. What does Titus do with Link and Marty?
3. What was put in place of Jefferson Park?
4. What does Violet claim the ads on their feed are based on?
5. Why does Titus get angry with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Titus and Violet's fight about the state of America, and why it made Titus feel stupid.
2. Explain why Violet wants to try to resist the feed.
3. Explain what Quendy means when she chastises Titus in '86.5%'
4. Explain why Loga and Calista are mean to Violet in 'The Real Thing'.
5. Describe Violet's father.
6. Explain what happens when Violet sends the advertisements she received from her shopping trip to Titus.
7. Explain the discomfort between Titus and Violet as they are lying on the grass outside her home.
8. List as many items as you can from Violet's 'to do' list.
9. Explain what has happened to Jefferson Park, and why Violet and Titus' father argue about this.
10. Explain what happens during Spin the Bottle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel, Titus makes a full character transformation. Using details from the book, describe how Titus' character changes throughout the novel. How does he appear at the beginning of the novel? What are his primary concerns? What does he feel when Violet begins to go into mal, and begins to decline in health? What are his concerns at the end of the novel? Why do you think he has changed so drastically?
Essay Topic 2
Another strong theme in the novel is the marketing of products to teenagers. Throughout the novel, the kids receive banner advertisements for a number of products, and even spend an entire chapter trying to win free Coke. Choose three examples of marketing in the novel, and discuss who is being marketed to, the product, and why that particular audience was chosen in the book. Also, do you think the extreme amount of marketing done in the novel has an affect on the kids? What is it?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout the novel. Locate four examples of foreshadowing, and discuss how they are used to indicate things to come. Be sure to explain not only the situation, but also how the author uses foreshadowing to add dramatic tension and anticipation.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)