|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the salesperson claim he saw on the tops of the domes?
2. What does Quendy say about Violet?
3. Where is Violet's mother?
4. Why is Link called 'Link'?
5. What does Violet always read about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Titus' dream in 'Nudging Again'?
2. Describe Titus and Violet's fight about the state of America, and why it made Titus feel stupid.
3. What does Violet chat to Titus about her family, and their feeds?
4. Explain why Violet wants to try to resist the feed.
5. Explain why Loga and Calista are mean to Violet in 'The Real Thing'.
6. Describe what Titus is experiencing at the end of 'A Day in the Country'.
7. Explain what happens when Violet sends the advertisements she received from her shopping trip to Titus.
8. Explain why Titus is confused as he and Violet sit in her house, and she talks of all the things she wants to do.
9. Describe the sea as Titus and Violet view it, and what is shows about the world Titus lives in.
10. Why is Titus uneasy around Violet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Feed" has been labeled by some as an ironic satire. How does the author use satire to make points in the novel? How does he use irony? Do you feel this method is successful, in this case? Why or why not? Overall, what do you think Anderson is saying about our relationship to technology, media, and consumerism? Does his use of satire allow this point to be made convincingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The language used by the author in the novel is definitely different than in other novels. What do you think the author was trying to achieve with this language? Do you think the language helps convey the concepts of teenage life, or do you think it detracts from the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Titus' world in the novel is in an environmental crisis. Using details from the book, discuss the world Titus leaves in. What has happened to the sun, air, clouds, and oceans? Why are domes needed? Why do they need suits to play near the water? What is covering the domes? What killed people in Central America? What is happening to the people themselves? Why is no one making an effort to change this?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)