|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet hope she forgets?
2. What does Titus wish Violet would be?
3. What is wrong with Violet?
4. What controls the sun in Violet's world?
5. What does Titus ask his friends in relation to Violet's list?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dilemma Titus experiences as he tries to buy an upcar.
2. Describe Titus' dream in 'Nudging Again'?
3. Explain what Quendy means when she chastises Titus in '86.5%'
4. Explain how Link received his name.
5. Explain why Titus is confused as he and Violet sit in her house, and she talks of all the things she wants to do.
6. Explain why Titus enjoys Violet so much.
7. Describe the sea as Titus and Violet view it, and what is shows about the world Titus lives in.
8. Explain why Loga and Calista are mean to Violet in 'The Real Thing'.
9. Describe Violet's father.
10. Describe what Quendy has done to her body, and why.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another strong theme in the novel is the marketing of products to teenagers. Throughout the novel, the kids receive banner advertisements for a number of products, and even spend an entire chapter trying to win free Coke. Choose three examples of marketing in the novel, and discuss who is being marketed to, the product, and why that particular audience was chosen in the book. Also, do you think the extreme amount of marketing done in the novel has an affect on the kids? What is it?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, two different parenting styles are presented, those of Titus' parents and that of Violet's father. Compare and contrast these styles. How are they similar? How are they different? What effect do they have on the teenagers? Do you think they are partially response for what happens in the novel? Why or why not? What do you think the author is saying about the effect of parental influence on children?
Essay Topic 3
The language used by the author in the novel is definitely different than in other novels. What do you think the author was trying to achieve with this language? Do you think the language helps convey the concepts of teenage life, or do you think it detracts from the novel?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)