|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Titus get angry with his father?
2. How long did Violet's father have to save for her to go to the moon?
3. What does Violet always read about?
4. What could happen to Violet if her software malfunctions badly enough?
5. What happens when ads start coming over the feed at the end of 'Sniffling'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet chat to Titus about her family, and their feeds?
2. Why is Titus uneasy around Violet?
3. Describe Violet's experience as she received FeedTech's response.
4. Explain what Quendy means when she chastises Titus in '86.5%'
5. Explain how Link received his name.
6. Describe what Titus is experiencing at the end of 'A Day in the Country'.
7. Describe Titus' dream in 'Nudging Again'?
8. Describe the sea as Titus and Violet view it, and what is shows about the world Titus lives in.
9. Explain the discomfort between Titus and Violet as they are lying on the grass outside her home.
10. What does Violet say about her idea of what living life is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
M.T. Anderson makes a strong argument against consumerism in the novel, as his characters find themselves mere puppets to economic materialism. Choose two examples of anti consumerism in the novel, and discuss them. What is the example? How does it argue against consumerism? What is M.T. Anderson trying to say about consumerism? What is your opinion of the portrayal of consumerism in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The evil of corporations is another theme that runs throughout the novel. Why are corporations so dangerous in the novel? What do they control? How is information gathered from the feed controlled and distributed? What is it used for? What consequences, both direct and indirect, is corporate power responsible for in the book? What environmental disasters does corporate America contribute to? How does this cause the downfall of the U.S. in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, author M.T. Anderson makes reference to many issues currently facing the world, including a reliance on technology, corporate ownership of nearly everything, a dumbing down of society, environmental issues, and others. Choose one of the issues M.T. Anderson discusses in the novel that affects the modern world. What is the issue? How does this issue appear in our own time? How is it portrayed in the novel? What do you think Anderson is trying to say about this issue?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)