|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Titus' mother always busy with?
2. What have people begun to see on their skin in 'Impact'?
3. What does the girl believe the face resembles?
4. What does Titus hope to do on the moon?
5. What does Titus try to do with Link and Marty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Titus is freely willing to trade mega corporations his personal information and allow them to control him if it means he gets everything he wants. Does this seem to be a good deal to you?
2. Why does Titus claim the moon is boring and 'sucky'?
3. Describe the television show "based on a true story" advertised at the end of 'The Nose Grid'.
4. Explain why Titus doesn't want to try and cheer Violet up when she cries in the hospital.
5. Describe what life was like, according to Titus, before the feed, and what this means to him.
6. Titus mentions the lack of need for a picture like the one he sees in the hospital. What does this say about Titus' imagination?
7. Violet is supposing, in 'Normal', that things will be different, because they have been through something dramatic. Do you think most teenagers would change after something like this?
8. Already in the story to this point, it is clear that Titus and Violet are beginning to have a relationship. Describe how the author has already implied this in the novel.
9. Describe what the girl does with her juice at the end of 'Juice', and why this is significant.
10. Describe what happens when the feed is turned back on.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, two different parenting styles are presented, those of Titus' parents and that of Violet's father. Compare and contrast these styles. How are they similar? How are they different? What effect do they have on the teenagers? Do you think they are partially response for what happens in the novel? Why or why not? What do you think the author is saying about the effect of parental influence on children?
Essay Topic 2
"Feed" has been labeled by some as an ironic satire. How does the author use satire to make points in the novel? How does he use irony? Do you feel this method is successful, in this case? Why or why not? Overall, what do you think Anderson is saying about our relationship to technology, media, and consumerism? Does his use of satire allow this point to be made convincingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the background themes in the novel is the difference in social class between Violet and Titus. Describe the social class of each character, and compare and contrast them. What are similarities and differences? How do the social class differences affect their relationship? Does social class play a role in Violet's death? How?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)