|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet's father do for a living?
2. What word does the girl use that no one understands?
3. What does Titus think Link's body slams with the girls show?
4. Why do Link and Marty pull Titus into the bedroom?
5. What does Titus say when Violet asks what they should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Titus mentions the lack of need for a picture like the one he sees in the hospital. What does this say about Titus' imagination?
2. Explain what Violet tells Titus about Central America, and what he hears on the radio.
3. Explain what Quendy means when she chastises Titus in '86.5%'
4. Explain what has happened to Jefferson Park, and why Violet and Titus' father argue about this.
5. Titus reflects that, without the feed, their "heads felt real empty" (pg. 46). What is your response?
6. When Titus is speaking of the sale at Weatherbee & Crotch, what does he say, and what does his tone and choice of words convey?
7. What does Violet tell Titus in the upcar on the way to her house, and why is this important?
8. What do you think happened in 'Nudging'? Was Titus dreaming, or were the police or the hacker group sifting through his feed?
9. Explain why Titus doesn't want to try and cheer Violet up when she cries in the hospital.
10. What does Violet imply when she notes that Titus is the only one of his group that is able to use metaphors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the background themes in the novel is the difference in social class between Violet and Titus. Describe the social class of each character, and compare and contrast them. What are similarities and differences? How do the social class differences affect their relationship? Does social class play a role in Violet's death? How?
Essay Topic 2
From the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel, Titus makes a full character transformation. Using details from the book, describe how Titus' character changes throughout the novel. How does he appear at the beginning of the novel? What are his primary concerns? What does he feel when Violet begins to go into mal, and begins to decline in health? What are his concerns at the end of the novel? Why do you think he has changed so drastically?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, there are several examples of teenage relationships. Choose one of the following pairs, and analyze the relationship. Is it a friendship, or a romance, or both? What is the relationship based on? Is it mutual, or primarily one sided? Do you think it is indicative of modern teenage relationship? Why or why not?
1. Violet and Titus.
2. Titus and Quendy
3. Titus and Link
4. Link and Calista
This section contains 2,409 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)