|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Titus 'dream' about in 'Nudging'?
2. What do the police do to the teenagers after they are attacked?
3. What does Marty suggest as an alternative to being drunk?
4. What is the first thing Titus feels when he wakes in 'Awake'?
5. What do the boys try to do with the minibar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the teenagers are attacked.
2. Describe how you perceive the teenagers by this point in the novel.
3. Why does Titus claim the moon is boring and 'sucky'?
4. Explain what Violet means by the days at the hospital being salad days.
5. When Titus doesn't tell Violet about his friends going mal, he feels he is protecting her from something. Why is he so bothered by their actions?
6. Loga was not touched by the hacker. How do you think she feels?
7. Describe the television show "based on a true story" advertised at the end of 'The Nose Grid'.
8. Discuss the conversation in 'Dead Language' about writing, and what the conversation implies.
9. Explain why Calista, Marty, Titus, and Link can get into college parties.
10. What does the text of 'Awake' indicate about how much the teenagers rely on the feed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The language used by the author in the novel is definitely different than in other novels. What do you think the author was trying to achieve with this language? Do you think the language helps convey the concepts of teenage life, or do you think it detracts from the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Another strong theme in the novel is the marketing of products to teenagers. Throughout the novel, the kids receive banner advertisements for a number of products, and even spend an entire chapter trying to win free Coke. Choose three examples of marketing in the novel, and discuss who is being marketed to, the product, and why that particular audience was chosen in the book. Also, do you think the extreme amount of marketing done in the novel has an affect on the kids? What is it?
Essay Topic 3
Violet's father feels very differently about the world than other individuals. Discuss Violet's father. Why is he different than other parents? What is his primary goal? Why does he home school Violet? What effect does this have on her? What is his passion? Why does he choose to speak as he does? Who does he blame at the end of the novel for the death of his daughter, and why?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)