|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all the teenagers get back at the end of 'Release'?
2. Where does Titus discover they are in 'College Try'?
3. What store is having a sale in 'Cache & Carry'?
4. What does Titus 'dream' about in 'Nudging'?
5. What have people begun to see on their skin in 'Impact'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conversation in 'Dead Language' about writing, and what the conversation implies.
2. Explain why Calista, Marty, Titus, and Link can get into college parties.
3. Violet is supposing, in 'Normal', that things will be different, because they have been through something dramatic. Do you think most teenagers would change after something like this?
4. Why does Titus claim the moon is boring and 'sucky'?
5. Explain what Violet means by the days at the hospital being salad days.
6. When Titus is speaking of the sale at Weatherbee & Crotch, what does he say, and what does his tone and choice of words convey?
7. Describe the television show "based on a true story" advertised at the end of 'The Nose Grid'.
8. Explain the text within these chapters that is in italics. What are they, and what is your impression, thus far, of a feed?
9. What does Violet imply when she notes that Titus is the only one of his group that is able to use metaphors?
10. Titus reports that "everyone is supersmart now", because everyone can look anything up instantly. Based on what you have seen in the novel, do you agree that everyone is intelligent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme throughout the novel is the level of intelligence in the teenagers of the book. Titus argues, at one point, that people are super smart as a result of the feed, whereas Violet argues, at one point, that the feed is creating a generation of "ignorant, self centered idiots" (pg. 113). Which do you agree with, and why? Do you think the feed is entirely responsible, or do you think there are other factors? What are they? Be sure to support your ideas using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
"Feed" has been labeled by some as an ironic satire. How does the author use satire to make points in the novel? How does he use irony? Do you feel this method is successful, in this case? Why or why not? Overall, what do you think Anderson is saying about our relationship to technology, media, and consumerism? Does his use of satire allow this point to be made convincingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the background themes in the novel is the difference in social class between Violet and Titus. Describe the social class of each character, and compare and contrast them. What are similarities and differences? How do the social class differences affect their relationship? Does social class play a role in Violet's death? How?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)