|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the teenagers find to occupy their time?
2. What does Titus hope Violet can see in the light coming from his brain monitor?
3. What do the boys try to do with the minibar?
4. Where does Violet take Titus to see when she is finished speaking with the doctor?
5. What word does the feed suggest for Violet's spine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the protests about the moon.
2. Titus reflects that, without the feed, their "heads felt real empty" (pg. 46). What is your response?
3. At the party, Titus' feed reports that the president is making a speech. Describe the content of the speech, and your reaction to it.
4. Violet is supposing, in 'Normal', that things will be different, because they have been through something dramatic. Do you think most teenagers would change after something like this?
5. When Titus is speaking of the sale at Weatherbee & Crotch, what does he say, and what does his tone and choice of words convey?
6. Describe how the teenagers are attacked.
7. Describe what happens when the feed is turned back on.
8. What does the text of 'Awake' indicate about how much the teenagers rely on the feed?
9. What do you think happened in 'Nudging'? Was Titus dreaming, or were the police or the hacker group sifting through his feed?
10. Describe the television show "based on a true story" advertised at the end of 'The Nose Grid'.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Feed", symbolism is used to represent things in modern society. Discuss the use of and meaning of malfunctioning, lesions, and the feed. What do these symbolize from modern society, and why did the author choose to include them?
Essay Topic 2
Violet's character is unique in the novel, in that she is a traditionalist, whereas Titus is not. Compare and contrast Violet's character with those of Titus and his friends. How is she similar? How is she different? What are these differences? Why do you think such differences exist? What does this say about the effect of the feed and of social class on the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
One of the background themes in the novel is the difference in social class between Violet and Titus. Describe the social class of each character, and compare and contrast them. What are similarities and differences? How do the social class differences affect their relationship? Does social class play a role in Violet's death? How?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)