|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is represented by the advertisements on page 15?
2. What does Violet admit to Titus in 'The Others in Mal'?
3. How does Titus feel about who receives the feed information?
4. What does Titus call a bow tie?
5. Why do Link and Marty pull Titus into the bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conversation in 'Dead Language' about writing, and what the conversation implies.
2. Titus reflects that, without the feed, their "heads felt real empty" (pg. 46). What is your response?
3. Describe what life was like, according to Titus, before the feed, and what this means to him.
4. Explain why Titus doesn't want to try and cheer Violet up when she cries in the hospital.
5. Describe Titus' father.
6. Why is Titus so lonely?
7. Titus mentions they will be offline for a while, so the police can pull off information to use against the hacker. Do you think it would be fair to pull data from a computer in your brain to use, without your express permission?
8. Describe why the girls help Quendy with her hair, and why Titus finds this important.
9. Already in the story to this point, it is clear that Titus and Violet are beginning to have a relationship. Describe how the author has already implied this in the novel.
10. Explain what Violet means by the days at the hospital being salad days.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violet's father feels very differently about the world than other individuals. Discuss Violet's father. Why is he different than other parents? What is his primary goal? Why does he home school Violet? What effect does this have on her? What is his passion? Why does he choose to speak as he does? Who does he blame at the end of the novel for the death of his daughter, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Another theme throughout the novel is the level of intelligence in the teenagers of the book. Titus argues, at one point, that people are super smart as a result of the feed, whereas Violet argues, at one point, that the feed is creating a generation of "ignorant, self centered idiots" (pg. 113). Which do you agree with, and why? Do you think the feed is entirely responsible, or do you think there are other factors? What are they? Be sure to support your ideas using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Violet and Quendy are two of the females in the novel, and are very different from one another. Their differences explain much about the characters, and their lives in the novel. Choose one of the following topics to discuss.
1) Compare and contrast Violet and Quendy. How are they the same? How are they different? Include examples from the book.
2) Why do you think Quendy and Violet are so drastically different from one another? Be sure to include information from the book.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)