|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Violet's parents not come to get her, according to Violet?
2. Why does Loga go to the bathroom while visiting her friends?
3. What do the teenagers find to occupy their time?
4. What does the girl believe the face resembles?
5. What does Titus say about how his head feels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think happened in 'Nudging'? Was Titus dreaming, or were the police or the hacker group sifting through his feed?
2. Titus reports that "everyone is supersmart now", because everyone can look anything up instantly. Based on what you have seen in the novel, do you agree that everyone is intelligent?
3. Titus reflects that, without the feed, their "heads felt real empty" (pg. 46). What is your response?
4. Describe what the girl does with her juice at the end of 'Juice', and why this is significant.
5. Already in the story to this point, it is clear that Titus and Violet are beginning to have a relationship. Describe how the author has already implied this in the novel.
6. Explain the girl's theory of the face grid.
7. Loga was not touched by the hacker. How do you think she feels?
8. Describe the television show "based on a true story" advertised at the end of 'The Nose Grid'.
9. Why does Titus claim the moon is boring and 'sucky'?
10. Titus mentions they will be offline for a while, so the police can pull off information to use against the hacker. Do you think it would be fair to pull data from a computer in your brain to use, without your express permission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme throughout the novel is the level of intelligence in the teenagers of the book. Titus argues, at one point, that people are super smart as a result of the feed, whereas Violet argues, at one point, that the feed is creating a generation of "ignorant, self centered idiots" (pg. 113). Which do you agree with, and why? Do you think the feed is entirely responsible, or do you think there are other factors? What are they? Be sure to support your ideas using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used throughout the novel. Locate four examples of foreshadowing, and discuss how they are used to indicate things to come. Be sure to explain not only the situation, but also how the author uses foreshadowing to add dramatic tension and anticipation.
Essay Topic 3
Violet and Quendy are two of the females in the novel, and are very different from one another. Their differences explain much about the characters, and their lives in the novel. Choose one of the following topics to discuss.
1) Compare and contrast Violet and Quendy. How are they the same? How are they different? Include examples from the book.
2) Why do you think Quendy and Violet are so drastically different from one another? Be sure to include information from the book.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)