|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Titus notice at the end of 'Undervalued Truffle'?
2. Why do Link and Marty pull Titus into the bedroom?
3. Where does Violet take Titus to see when she is finished speaking with the doctor?
4. What do the boys try to do with the minibar?
5. What is the young woman's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conversation in 'Dead Language' about writing, and what the conversation implies.
2. Titus reports that "everyone is supersmart now", because everyone can look anything up instantly. Based on what you have seen in the novel, do you agree that everyone is intelligent?
3. At the party, Titus' feed reports that the president is making a speech. Describe the content of the speech, and your reaction to it.
4. Describe how Titus first sees the young woman.
5. Titus reflects that, without the feed, their "heads felt real empty" (pg. 46). What is your response?
6. Describe how you perceive the teenagers by this point in the novel.
7. Already in the story to this point, it is clear that Titus and Violet are beginning to have a relationship. Describe how the author has already implied this in the novel.
8. Describe what life was like, according to Titus, before the feed, and what this means to him.
9. Describe Titus' father.
10. What does Violet imply when she notes that Titus is the only one of his group that is able to use metaphors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel, Titus makes a full character transformation. Using details from the book, describe how Titus' character changes throughout the novel. How does he appear at the beginning of the novel? What are his primary concerns? What does he feel when Violet begins to go into mal, and begins to decline in health? What are his concerns at the end of the novel? Why do you think he has changed so drastically?
Essay Topic 2
"Feed" has been labeled by some as an ironic satire. How does the author use satire to make points in the novel? How does he use irony? Do you feel this method is successful, in this case? Why or why not? Overall, what do you think Anderson is saying about our relationship to technology, media, and consumerism? Does his use of satire allow this point to be made convincingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, there are several examples of teenage relationships. Choose one of the following pairs, and analyze the relationship. Is it a friendship, or a romance, or both? What is the relationship based on? Is it mutual, or primarily one sided? Do you think it is indicative of modern teenage relationship? Why or why not?
1. Violet and Titus.
2. Titus and Quendy
3. Titus and Link
4. Link and Calista
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)