|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Link taller than everyone else?
2. What are the frat boys wearing at the club that Titus expresses interest in?
3. What does the President's speech indicate on page 85?
4. What does Titus 'dream' about in 'Nudging'?
5. What does the girl note she wants her lesions to look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Titus is speaking of the sale at Weatherbee & Crotch, what does he say, and what does his tone and choice of words convey?
2. Violet is supposing, in 'Normal', that things will be different, because they have been through something dramatic. Do you think most teenagers would change after something like this?
3. Describe how you perceive the teenagers by this point in the novel.
4. Already in the story to this point, it is clear that Titus and Violet are beginning to have a relationship. Describe how the author has already implied this in the novel.
5. At the party, Titus' feed reports that the president is making a speech. Describe the content of the speech, and your reaction to it.
6. Titus reflects that, without the feed, their "heads felt real empty" (pg. 46). What is your response?
7. Explain the text within these chapters that is in italics. What are they, and what is your impression, thus far, of a feed?
8. Explain the girl's theory of the face grid.
9. Discuss the conversation in 'Dead Language' about writing, and what the conversation implies.
10. Describe the television show "based on a true story" advertised at the end of 'The Nose Grid'.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Feed" has been labeled by some as an ironic satire. How does the author use satire to make points in the novel? How does he use irony? Do you feel this method is successful, in this case? Why or why not? Overall, what do you think Anderson is saying about our relationship to technology, media, and consumerism? Does his use of satire allow this point to be made convincingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Another theme throughout the novel is the level of intelligence in the teenagers of the book. Titus argues, at one point, that people are super smart as a result of the feed, whereas Violet argues, at one point, that the feed is creating a generation of "ignorant, self centered idiots" (pg. 113). Which do you agree with, and why? Do you think the feed is entirely responsible, or do you think there are other factors? What are they? Be sure to support your ideas using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel, Titus makes a full character transformation. Using details from the book, describe how Titus' character changes throughout the novel. How does he appear at the beginning of the novel? What are his primary concerns? What does he feel when Violet begins to go into mal, and begins to decline in health? What are his concerns at the end of the novel? Why do you think he has changed so drastically?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)