|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the girls what is happening in the story?
2. Where does Titus' father go after his visit?
3. Where does Violet attend school?
4. What does Titus say when Violet asks what they should do?
5. Who was the only one not attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when the feed is turned back on.
2. Loga was not touched by the hacker. How do you think she feels?
3. Discuss the conversation in 'Dead Language' about writing, and what the conversation implies.
4. What do you think happened in 'Nudging'? Was Titus dreaming, or were the police or the hacker group sifting through his feed?
5. When Titus is speaking of the sale at Weatherbee & Crotch, what does he say, and what does his tone and choice of words convey?
6. Explain the protests about the moon.
7. Explain why Titus doesn't want to try and cheer Violet up when she cries in the hospital.
8. Titus is freely willing to trade mega corporations his personal information and allow them to control him if it means he gets everything he wants. Does this seem to be a good deal to you?
9. Titus reports that "everyone is supersmart now", because everyone can look anything up instantly. Based on what you have seen in the novel, do you agree that everyone is intelligent?
10. Violet is supposing, in 'Normal', that things will be different, because they have been through something dramatic. Do you think most teenagers would change after something like this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violet's character is unique in the novel, in that she is a traditionalist, whereas Titus is not. Compare and contrast Violet's character with those of Titus and his friends. How is she similar? How is she different? What are these differences? Why do you think such differences exist? What does this say about the effect of the feed and of social class on the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
In "Feed", many of the teens completely lose their individuality as the feed pushes them to conform to a specific marketing profile. This is symbolized at the end of the novel, when hipsters are hit with Nostalgic Feedback. Explain what Nostalgic Feedback is, and what it does. Next, explain how people like Quendy and Loga completely lose their own identities when they conform to the marketing concept. Finally, explain Violet's point, that there is a spiral between people and marketers that makes everything and everyone more basic and simple. What does she mean by this?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout the novel. Locate four examples of foreshadowing, and discuss how they are used to indicate things to come. Be sure to explain not only the situation, but also how the author uses foreshadowing to add dramatic tension and anticipation.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)