|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Titus note people used to carry computers?
2. How does Titus feel about who receives the feed information?
3. Who is the girl on the moon with?
4. Who did Titus used to date?
5. Titus and Violet do what at the end of 'The Garden'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the text within these chapters that is in italics. What are they, and what is your impression, thus far, of a feed?
2. Why is Titus so lonely?
3. Titus mentions the lack of need for a picture like the one he sees in the hospital. What does this say about Titus' imagination?
4. Describe Titus' father.
5. Titus reflects that, without the feed, their "heads felt real empty" (pg. 46). What is your response?
6. Titus mentions they will be offline for a while, so the police can pull off information to use against the hacker. Do you think it would be fair to pull data from a computer in your brain to use, without your express permission?
7. Discuss the conversation in 'Dead Language' about writing, and what the conversation implies.
8. Titus is freely willing to trade mega corporations his personal information and allow them to control him if it means he gets everything he wants. Does this seem to be a good deal to you?
9. Describe what life was like, according to Titus, before the feed, and what this means to him.
10. Explain why Titus doesn't want to try and cheer Violet up when she cries in the hospital.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The evil of corporations is another theme that runs throughout the novel. Why are corporations so dangerous in the novel? What do they control? How is information gathered from the feed controlled and distributed? What is it used for? What consequences, both direct and indirect, is corporate power responsible for in the book? What environmental disasters does corporate America contribute to? How does this cause the downfall of the U.S. in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Violet's father feels very differently about the world than other individuals. Discuss Violet's father. Why is he different than other parents? What is his primary goal? Why does he home school Violet? What effect does this have on her? What is his passion? Why does he choose to speak as he does? Who does he blame at the end of the novel for the death of his daughter, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Titus' world in the novel is in an environmental crisis. Using details from the book, discuss the world Titus leaves in. What has happened to the sun, air, clouds, and oceans? Why are domes needed? Why do they need suits to play near the water? What is covering the domes? What killed people in Central America? What is happening to the people themselves? Why is no one making an effort to change this?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)