|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Titus' father go after his visit?
2. What does Titus hope Violet can see in the light coming from his brain monitor?
3. What does the girl believe the face resembles?
4. Where are Quendy's parents with the teenagers have their party?
5. Why do Link and Marty pull Titus into the bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Titus mentions they will be offline for a while, so the police can pull off information to use against the hacker. Do you think it would be fair to pull data from a computer in your brain to use, without your express permission?
2. Explain why Titus doesn't want to try and cheer Violet up when she cries in the hospital.
3. Describe what happens when the feed is turned back on.
4. Titus reports that "everyone is supersmart now", because everyone can look anything up instantly. Based on what you have seen in the novel, do you agree that everyone is intelligent?
5. Describe Titus' father.
6. Explain why Calista, Marty, Titus, and Link can get into college parties.
7. Already in the story to this point, it is clear that Titus and Violet are beginning to have a relationship. Describe how the author has already implied this in the novel.
8. Violet is supposing, in 'Normal', that things will be different, because they have been through something dramatic. Do you think most teenagers would change after something like this?
9. At the party, Titus' feed reports that the president is making a speech. Describe the content of the speech, and your reaction to it.
10. Titus mentions the lack of need for a picture like the one he sees in the hospital. What does this say about Titus' imagination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Feed", many of the teens completely lose their individuality as the feed pushes them to conform to a specific marketing profile. This is symbolized at the end of the novel, when hipsters are hit with Nostalgic Feedback. Explain what Nostalgic Feedback is, and what it does. Next, explain how people like Quendy and Loga completely lose their own identities when they conform to the marketing concept. Finally, explain Violet's point, that there is a spiral between people and marketers that makes everything and everyone more basic and simple. What does she mean by this?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Feed", symbolism is used to represent things in modern society. Discuss the use of and meaning of malfunctioning, lesions, and the feed. What do these symbolize from modern society, and why did the author choose to include them?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel, Titus makes a full character transformation. Using details from the book, describe how Titus' character changes throughout the novel. How does he appear at the beginning of the novel? What are his primary concerns? What does he feel when Violet begins to go into mal, and begins to decline in health? What are his concerns at the end of the novel? Why do you think he has changed so drastically?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)