|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the teenagers order that gives them headaches?
2. What does the girl believe the face resembles?
3. What does Marty call Link often in the first chapter?
4. What does Violet tell Titus he cannot see through?
5. What is a salad day, according to Violet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the protests about the moon.
2. Describe how Titus first sees the young woman.
3. Describe what the girl does with her juice at the end of 'Juice', and why this is significant.
4. Already in the story to this point, it is clear that Titus and Violet are beginning to have a relationship. Describe how the author has already implied this in the novel.
5. Explain what Violet means by the days at the hospital being salad days.
6. Explain why Calista, Marty, Titus, and Link can get into college parties.
7. Describe how you perceive the teenagers by this point in the novel.
8. Violet is supposing, in 'Normal', that things will be different, because they have been through something dramatic. Do you think most teenagers would change after something like this?
9. Why does Titus claim the moon is boring and 'sucky'?
10. What does the text of 'Awake' indicate about how much the teenagers rely on the feed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A strong theme running through the novel is the danger of a strong reliance of technology, and what can happen to any society that is fed information, as opposed to a society who freely seeks information. Choose three examples in the novel where a heavy reliance on the technology of the feed is detrimental to society. Be sure to list not only the example, but also explain why that example shows a detrimental situation for society. How could that example be different if the society was one in which information had to be obtained, instead of being fed to consumers?
Essay Topic 2
Violet's father feels very differently about the world than other individuals. Discuss Violet's father. Why is he different than other parents? What is his primary goal? Why does he home school Violet? What effect does this have on her? What is his passion? Why does he choose to speak as he does? Who does he blame at the end of the novel for the death of his daughter, and why?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel, Titus makes a full character transformation. Using details from the book, describe how Titus' character changes throughout the novel. How does he appear at the beginning of the novel? What are his primary concerns? What does he feel when Violet begins to go into mal, and begins to decline in health? What are his concerns at the end of the novel? Why do you think he has changed so drastically?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)