|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Titus 'dream' about in 'Nudging'?
2. How many people did the old man touch?
3. What does Titus hope to do on the moon?
4. What do the boys try to do with the minibar?
5. What does Violet admit to Titus in 'The Others in Mal'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how you perceive the teenagers by this point in the novel.
2. Describe how the teenagers are attacked.
3. Why does Titus claim the moon is boring and 'sucky'?
4. Describe why the girls help Quendy with her hair, and why Titus finds this important.
5. Violet is supposing, in 'Normal', that things will be different, because they have been through something dramatic. Do you think most teenagers would change after something like this?
6. Describe what life was like, according to Titus, before the feed, and what this means to him.
7. Explain the protests about the moon.
8. Already in the story to this point, it is clear that Titus and Violet are beginning to have a relationship. Describe how the author has already implied this in the novel.
9. Describe how Titus first sees the young woman.
10. Titus reflects that, without the feed, their "heads felt real empty" (pg. 46). What is your response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The evil of corporations is another theme that runs throughout the novel. Why are corporations so dangerous in the novel? What do they control? How is information gathered from the feed controlled and distributed? What is it used for? What consequences, both direct and indirect, is corporate power responsible for in the book? What environmental disasters does corporate America contribute to? How does this cause the downfall of the U.S. in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Another theme throughout the novel is the level of intelligence in the teenagers of the book. Titus argues, at one point, that people are super smart as a result of the feed, whereas Violet argues, at one point, that the feed is creating a generation of "ignorant, self centered idiots" (pg. 113). Which do you agree with, and why? Do you think the feed is entirely responsible, or do you think there are other factors? What are they? Be sure to support your ideas using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, two different parenting styles are presented, those of Titus' parents and that of Violet's father. Compare and contrast these styles. How are they similar? How are they different? What effect do they have on the teenagers? Do you think they are partially response for what happens in the novel? Why or why not? What do you think the author is saying about the effect of parental influence on children?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)