|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parties has Violet been to?
2. What does Violet ask Titus if he can do?
3. What does the President's speech indicate on page 85?
4. What begins going wild the moment the teenagers step off the ship?
5. Where are Quendy's parents with the teenagers have their party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Titus uneasy around Violet?
2. Explain what happens when Violet sends the advertisements she received from her shopping trip to Titus.
3. Explain what Violet tells Titus about Central America, and what he hears on the radio.
4. Already in the story to this point, it is clear that Titus and Violet are beginning to have a relationship. Describe how the author has already implied this in the novel.
5. Describe what happens when the feed is turned back on.
6. What does the text of 'Awake' indicate about how much the teenagers rely on the feed?
7. Explain what has happened to Jefferson Park, and why Violet and Titus' father argue about this.
8. Explain what Quendy means when she chastises Titus in '86.5%'
9. Describe what Titus is experiencing at the end of 'A Day in the Country'.
10. Describe how you perceive the teenagers by this point in the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme throughout the novel is the level of intelligence in the teenagers of the book. Titus argues, at one point, that people are super smart as a result of the feed, whereas Violet argues, at one point, that the feed is creating a generation of "ignorant, self centered idiots" (pg. 113). Which do you agree with, and why? Do you think the feed is entirely responsible, or do you think there are other factors? What are they? Be sure to support your ideas using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
From the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel, Titus makes a full character transformation. Using details from the book, describe how Titus' character changes throughout the novel. How does he appear at the beginning of the novel? What are his primary concerns? What does he feel when Violet begins to go into mal, and begins to decline in health? What are his concerns at the end of the novel? Why do you think he has changed so drastically?
Essay Topic 3
A strong theme running through the novel is the danger of a strong reliance of technology, and what can happen to any society that is fed information, as opposed to a society who freely seeks information. Choose three examples in the novel where a heavy reliance on the technology of the feed is detrimental to society. Be sure to list not only the example, but also explain why that example shows a detrimental situation for society. How could that example be different if the society was one in which information had to be obtained, instead of being fed to consumers?
This section contains 2,358 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)