|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one wall have a picture of?
2. What does Titus notice at the end of 'Undervalued Truffle'?
3. What are people protesting, according to the feed, in terms of America?
4. What do the teenagers order that gives them headaches?
5. What are the frat boys wearing at the club that Titus expresses interest in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the text within these chapters that is in italics. What are they, and what is your impression, thus far, of a feed?
2. When Titus is speaking of the sale at Weatherbee & Crotch, what does he say, and what does his tone and choice of words convey?
3. Titus mentions they will be offline for a while, so the police can pull off information to use against the hacker. Do you think it would be fair to pull data from a computer in your brain to use, without your express permission?
4. Describe what happens when the feed is turned back on.
5. Explain the girl's theory of the face grid.
6. Titus mentions the lack of need for a picture like the one he sees in the hospital. What does this say about Titus' imagination?
7. Why does Titus claim the moon is boring and 'sucky'?
8. Describe Titus' father.
9. Describe the television show "based on a true story" advertised at the end of 'The Nose Grid'.
10. Describe how Titus first sees the young woman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titus' world in the novel is in an environmental crisis. Using details from the book, discuss the world Titus leaves in. What has happened to the sun, air, clouds, and oceans? Why are domes needed? Why do they need suits to play near the water? What is covering the domes? What killed people in Central America? What is happening to the people themselves? Why is no one making an effort to change this?
Essay Topic 2
Another theme throughout the novel is the level of intelligence in the teenagers of the book. Titus argues, at one point, that people are super smart as a result of the feed, whereas Violet argues, at one point, that the feed is creating a generation of "ignorant, self centered idiots" (pg. 113). Which do you agree with, and why? Do you think the feed is entirely responsible, or do you think there are other factors? What are they? Be sure to support your ideas using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Feed", symbolism is used to represent things in modern society. Discuss the use of and meaning of malfunctioning, lesions, and the feed. What do these symbolize from modern society, and why did the author choose to include them?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)