|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frannie do when the new boy holds the door open for her?
2. What is Trevor doing when Frannie and the new boy are walking into the school?
3. What is the picture Frannie is looking at while she's talking to Samantha on the telephone?
4. What is the last thing Frannie puts on her list?
5. What does Frannie feel while she's sitting in Mama's lap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sean explain to Frannie about the bridges and what they mean for his ability to talk to hearing girls?
2. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
3. What does the new boy say about Trevor's need to be mean to others. What does Trevor do in chapter eighteen that's mean to Frannie and what is the reaction?
4. What were the reactions of Trevor and Frannie after Ms. Johnson reads the poem about hope being a thing with feathers?
5. Describe Grandma's attitude about sign language, how she communicates with Sean and what Frannie thinks about it.
6. Describe the one fight Frannie says she's had.
7. Describe what had happened when Frannie was at Samantha's for dinner and asked for chicken.
8. What does Samantha say about believing in something as she and Frannie are walking home together in chapter sixteen?
9. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
10. What is the argument that happens between the new boy and Trevor that makes Trevor so angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Samantha come to believe about the new boy? Why does she believe this? What is the effect on Samantha when she realizes he isn't what she'd hoped for? What does Frannie say about Samantha's reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Frannie says that Sean taught her to speak and that she grew up "in his world of words." How might Frannie's life have been different without Sean's influence? Would her life have been better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important scene of the story? Why?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)