|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Samantha say to the new boy when he comes running up to them?
2. Why do Frannie and Samantha walk so slowly on the way home that day?
3. Where does Frannie sit when her grandmother sits on the couch?
4. What does Frannie say that each moment is?
5. What is the sign for Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frannie think she might do on the Saturday she's planning to go to the rec center, and why does she hope Samantha might go with her?
2. Describe the one fight Frannie says she's had.
3. What is the argument that happens between the new boy and Trevor that makes Trevor so angry?
4. What does Frannie say about the new boy hurting Trevor's feelings and what that proves?
5. What does Frannie say about her mother's rule regarding sugar and what does she do to break that rule? What are the consequences?
6. Describe the conversation between Samantha and Frannie when Samantha tells Frannie about her dream.
7. Describe the conversation between Frannie and the new boy about where he might have learned to sign.
8. What does Rayray say about no longer being afraid of Trevor after he swings at the new boy?
9. Describe what had happened when Frannie was at Samantha's for dinner and asked for chicken.
10. What does the new boy ask when Ms. Johnson tells the class to write about an important day in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Samantha asks Frannie why she rushed to help Trevor up after he fell in the school yard. What is Samantha's response and what does she mean by this? Why is Frannie skeptical that this could really be Frannie's motivation? Is Frannie right?
Essay Topic 2
When Trevor is picking on the new boy about being white, the boy counters, saying that Trevor obviously has a white father who lives on the other side of the highway. Was the new boy right to strike Trevor in a way that was so hurtful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There is a division among blacks and whites even though segregation has been outlawed. Did this situation exist in the 1970s? What has changed since that time?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)