|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the new boy say part of him wants to hit Trevor?
2. What kind of store had been in the building that is now the church where Samantha's family attends?
3. What does Samantha say she dreamed about the previous night?
4. What does the new boy say he can remember about his adoption?
5. What is Sean's reaction when a girl asks his name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
2. What does the new boy say about Trevor's need to be mean to others. What does Trevor do in chapter eighteen that's mean to Frannie and what is the reaction?
3. What were the reactions of Trevor and Frannie after Ms. Johnson reads the poem about hope being a thing with feathers?
4. What is the argument that happens between the new boy and Trevor that makes Trevor so angry?
5. What does Frannie say about her mother's rule regarding sugar and what does she do to break that rule? What are the consequences?
6. What does the new boy ask when Ms. Johnson tells the class to write about an important day in their lives?
7. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
8. What does Frannie mean when she says "Mr. Hungry is here?"
9. What does Frannie think she might do on the Saturday she's planning to go to the rec center, and why does she hope Samantha might go with her?
10. What is Frannie's response when Samantha says that Rayray was right when he said Jesus would not come to Price School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the poem that Frannie likes about hope and feathers. What is Trevor's interpretation of the poem? What is Frannie's mom's interpretation? What is Frannie's interpretation? Which do you believe to be correct? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various members of Frannie's family, including her parents and grandmother. Which family member is she closest to? Why? What is her relationship with the other members of the family?
Essay Topic 3
When Trevor is picking on the new boy about being white, the boy counters, saying that Trevor obviously has a white father who lives on the other side of the highway. Was the new boy right to strike Trevor in a way that was so hurtful? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)