|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of hat does Frannie wear to church that Sunday?
2. What does Samantha answer when Frannie asks if she believes spring will ever come?
3. What does Ms. Johnson do to make Rayray pay attention again?
4. Who is the singing star Frannie is in love with?
5. What does Frannie's mother tell her to do as soon as she enters the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frannie's response when Samantha says that Rayray was right when he said Jesus would not come to Price School?
2. What does Frannie think she might do on the Saturday she's planning to go to the rec center, and why does she hope Samantha might go with her?
3. What does Frannie say about the new boy hurting Trevor's feelings and what that proves?
4. Describe Grandma's attitude about sign language, how she communicates with Sean and what Frannie thinks about it.
5. What does Frannie say about her mother's rule regarding sugar and what does she do to break that rule? What are the consequences?
6. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
7. What were the reactions of Trevor and Frannie after Ms. Johnson reads the poem about hope being a thing with feathers?
8. What are some of the things Frannie writes on her paper as part of her assignment in chapter eighteen?
9. What does Samantha say about believing in something as she and Frannie are walking home together in chapter sixteen?
10. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Samantha? What is her relationship to Frannie? Who is Maribel? What is her relationship to Frannie? Compare Samantha and Maribel. Which character is most likable? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Frannie says that Sean taught her to speak and that she grew up "in his world of words." How might Frannie's life have been different without Sean's influence? Would her life have been better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Sean? What is he like? What are his challenges? How does he face these?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)