|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frannie say she might do when she gets to the rec center?
2. What does Frannie say was the point where the new boy proved he wasn't Jesus?
3. What does Frannie's mother tell her to do as soon as she enters the house?
4. Why does the new boy say part of him wants to hit Trevor?
5. What does Frannie say that each moment is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Samantha and Frannie when Samantha tells Frannie about her dream.
2. What is the argument that happens between the new boy and Trevor that makes Trevor so angry?
3. What does the new boy say about Trevor's need to be mean to others. What does Trevor do in chapter eighteen that's mean to Frannie and what is the reaction?
4. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
5. Describe Grandma's attitude about sign language, how she communicates with Sean and what Frannie thinks about it.
6. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
7. What does Frannie think she might do on the Saturday she's planning to go to the rec center, and why does she hope Samantha might go with her?
8. What does Sean explain to Frannie about the bridges and what they mean for his ability to talk to hearing girls?
9. What is Frannie's response when Samantha asks why Frannie helped Trevor up?
10. Describe the conversation between Frannie and the new boy about where he might have learned to sign.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Trevor is picking on the new boy about being white, the boy counters, saying that Trevor obviously has a white father who lives on the other side of the highway. Was the new boy right to strike Trevor in a way that was so hurtful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Frannie says that Sean taught her to speak and that she grew up "in his world of words." How might Frannie's life have been different without Sean's influence? Would her life have been better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There is a division among blacks and whites even though segregation has been outlawed. Did this situation exist in the 1970s? What has changed since that time?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)