|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lets Frannie know that Samantha has arrived?
2. How does Samantha wear her hair on Wednesday?
3. What does Ms. Johnson say about writer's block?
4. What does Rayray say when he comes up to Frannie and the new boy after Trevor has fallen in the snow?
5. What is Trevor doing when Frannie and the new boy are walking into the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the reactions of Trevor and Frannie after Ms. Johnson reads the poem about hope being a thing with feathers?
2. What does Samantha say about believing in something as she and Frannie are walking home together in chapter sixteen?
3. Describe Grandma's attitude about sign language, how she communicates with Sean and what Frannie thinks about it.
4. What does the new boy say about Trevor's need to be mean to others. What does Trevor do in chapter eighteen that's mean to Frannie and what is the reaction?
5. What are some of the things Frannie writes on her paper as part of her assignment in chapter eighteen?
6. What is Frannie's response when Samantha asks why Frannie helped Trevor up?
7. Describe what had happened when Frannie was at Samantha's for dinner and asked for chicken.
8. What does Rayray say about no longer being afraid of Trevor after he swings at the new boy?
9. What does Frannie say about the new boy hurting Trevor's feelings and what that proves?
10. Describe the one fight Frannie says she's had.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Trevor is picking on the new boy about being white, the boy counters, saying that Trevor obviously has a white father who lives on the other side of the highway. Was the new boy right to strike Trevor in a way that was so hurtful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Frannie is very worried about her mother's health and she angrily says that she's not sharing her room as a way to express her worry. Is her reaction realistic? What are some other ways Frannie expresses her concern?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)