|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the smells Frannie associates with her grandmother?
2. What kind of business is on one side of the church where Samantha's family attends?
3. What does Ms. Johnson do to make Rayray pay attention again?
4. What does Frannie say about the baby of the family?
5. What is Sean wearing when he joins Mama and Frannie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
2. What does Frannie think she might do on the Saturday she's planning to go to the rec center, and why does she hope Samantha might go with her?
3. Describe what had happened when Frannie was at Samantha's for dinner and asked for chicken.
4. What does Frannie say about the new boy hurting Trevor's feelings and what that proves?
5. What is the argument that happens between the new boy and Trevor that makes Trevor so angry?
6. What does Frannie mean when she says "Mr. Hungry is here?"
7. Describe Grandma's attitude about sign language, how she communicates with Sean and what Frannie thinks about it.
8. What does Sean explain to Frannie about the bridges and what they mean for his ability to talk to hearing girls?
9. What is Frannie's response when Samantha asks why Frannie helped Trevor up?
10. What are some of the things Frannie writes on her paper as part of her assignment in chapter eighteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Trevor is picking on the new boy about being white, the boy counters, saying that Trevor obviously has a white father who lives on the other side of the highway. Was the new boy right to strike Trevor in a way that was so hurtful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Frannie and Sean play a game in which one says a word and the other describes how that word sounds. How did this game come into being? Why is it important to both of them? Frannie says Sean is better at it than she. How can this be true considering that Sean doesn't hear sounds?
Essay Topic 3
Samantha asks Frannie why she rushed to help Trevor up after he fell in the school yard. What is Samantha's response and what does she mean by this? Why is Frannie skeptical that this could really be Frannie's motivation? Is Frannie right?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)