|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frannie say was the point where the new boy proved he wasn't Jesus?
2. What is the picture Frannie is looking at while she's talking to Samantha on the telephone?
3. What does Frannie feel while she's sitting in Mama's lap?
4. What kind of shoes does Maribel have on?
5. What kind of business is on one side of the church where Samantha's family attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frannie's response when Samantha asks why Frannie helped Trevor up?
2. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
3. What does Frannie think she might do on the Saturday she's planning to go to the rec center, and why does she hope Samantha might go with her?
4. Describe what had happened when Frannie was at Samantha's for dinner and asked for chicken.
5. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
6. What is the argument that happens between the new boy and Trevor that makes Trevor so angry?
7. What does the new boy ask when Ms. Johnson tells the class to write about an important day in their lives?
8. Describe what happens when Trevor begins harassing the new boy again on Monday.
9. Describe the scene on Saturday morning when Frannie and Sean first get out of bed.
10. Describe the one fight Frannie says she's had.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Samantha asks Frannie why she rushed to help Trevor up after he fell in the school yard. What is Samantha's response and what does she mean by this? Why is Frannie skeptical that this could really be Frannie's motivation? Is Frannie right?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Frannie's relationship with the new boy changes over the course of the book. Why does it change? Samantha's thoughts about the new boy also change over the course of the book. Are the changes similar? Are they prompted by the same thing?
Essay Topic 3
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)