|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frannie's mother tell her to do as soon as she enters the house?
2. What does the new boy say when Rayray asks if he plans to remain at Price?
3. What does the new boy say he's going to do on Saturday?
4. Where is Mama when Frannie wakes in chapter twenty-two?
5. What does the new boy say he can remember about his adoption?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frannie think she might do on the Saturday she's planning to go to the rec center, and why does she hope Samantha might go with her?
2. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
3. Describe the conversation between Samantha and Frannie when Samantha tells Frannie about her dream.
4. What is the argument that happens between the new boy and Trevor that makes Trevor so angry?
5. What does Rayray say about no longer being afraid of Trevor after he swings at the new boy?
6. What does Frannie mean when she says "Mr. Hungry is here?"
7. What does Frannie say about the new boy hurting Trevor's feelings and what that proves?
8. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
9. What does Frannie say about her mother's rule regarding sugar and what does she do to break that rule? What are the consequences?
10. Describe the one fight Frannie says she's had.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frannie and Sean play a game in which one says a word and the other describes how that word sounds. How did this game come into being? Why is it important to both of them? Frannie says Sean is better at it than she. How can this be true considering that Sean doesn't hear sounds?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important scene of the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social setting for the story. What are the attitudes of blacks and whites toward each other? What are the attitudes of most people toward people with disabilities, such as deafness?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)