|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade was Frannie in when she'd had her one and only fight?
2. What is Frannie eating when she and Sean are watching television on Saturday?
3. What is Trevor doing when Frannie and the new boy are walking into the school?
4. How old does Mama say Frannie was when she first started talking about Mr. Hungry?
5. What does Samantha say she dreamed about the previous night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frannie say about the new boy hurting Trevor's feelings and what that proves?
2. Describe the one fight Frannie says she's had.
3. Describe the conversation between Samantha and Frannie when Samantha tells Frannie about her dream.
4. What does Frannie decide to write about and what is her opening sentence?
5. Describe the scene on Saturday morning when Frannie and Sean first get out of bed.
6. What does Samantha say about believing in something as she and Frannie are walking home together in chapter sixteen?
7. What does Sean explain to Frannie about the bridges and what they mean for his ability to talk to hearing girls?
8. What does the new boy say about Trevor's need to be mean to others. What does Trevor do in chapter eighteen that's mean to Frannie and what is the reaction?
9. What were the reactions of Trevor and Frannie after Ms. Johnson reads the poem about hope being a thing with feathers?
10. What does Frannie think she might do on the Saturday she's planning to go to the rec center, and why does she hope Samantha might go with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lila? How many other children have died in Frannie's family? What is the impact on the family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various members of Frannie's family, including her parents and grandmother. Which family member is she closest to? Why? What is her relationship with the other members of the family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social setting for the story. What are the attitudes of blacks and whites toward each other? What are the attitudes of most people toward people with disabilities, such as deafness?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)