|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Trevor singing as he walks away from Frannie and the new boy in chapter eighteen?
2. Where does Frannie sit when her grandmother sits on the couch?
3. What is Frannie eating when she and Sean are watching television on Saturday?
4. What does Trevor have written on his cast when he returns to school?
5. What happens just as Frannie and the new boy enter the school building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Frannie and the new boy about where he might have learned to sign.
2. What are some of the things Frannie writes on her paper as part of her assignment in chapter eighteen?
3. What does Rayray say about no longer being afraid of Trevor after he swings at the new boy?
4. What were the reactions of Trevor and Frannie after Ms. Johnson reads the poem about hope being a thing with feathers?
5. What does the new boy ask when Ms. Johnson tells the class to write about an important day in their lives?
6. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
7. What does Samantha say about believing in something as she and Frannie are walking home together in chapter sixteen?
8. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
9. What does Frannie say about her mother's rule regarding sugar and what does she do to break that rule? What are the consequences?
10. Describe the conversation between Samantha and Frannie when Samantha tells Frannie about her dream.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Sean says that he would like to live in a world where every window had a bridge to somewhere else. What does he mean by this? Why does he say he'd be willing to be the first to cross? Would you be willing to be the first?
Essay Topic 3
There is a division among blacks and whites even though segregation has been outlawed. Did this situation exist in the 1970s? What has changed since that time?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)