|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rayray doing while Ms. Johnson is talking about writing a story?
2. What is the first thing Sean says to his mother when he gets home from school?
3. Where is Mama when Frannie wakes in chapter twenty-two?
4. What's for lunch on Wednesday?
5. What does Frannie say she might do when she gets to the rec center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Trevor begins harassing the new boy again on Monday.
2. Describe the one fight Frannie says she's had.
3. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
4. Describe the scene on Saturday morning when Frannie and Sean first get out of bed.
5. What is the argument that happens between the new boy and Trevor that makes Trevor so angry?
6. What does Frannie say about the new boy hurting Trevor's feelings and what that proves?
7. Describe Grandma's attitude about sign language, how she communicates with Sean and what Frannie thinks about it.
8. Describe what had happened when Frannie was at Samantha's for dinner and asked for chicken.
9. What were the reactions of Trevor and Frannie after Ms. Johnson reads the poem about hope being a thing with feathers?
10. What does Samantha say about believing in something as she and Frannie are walking home together in chapter sixteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Samantha come to believe about the new boy? Why does she believe this? What is the effect on Samantha when she realizes he isn't what she'd hoped for? What does Frannie say about Samantha's reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various members of Frannie's family, including her parents and grandmother. Which family member is she closest to? Why? What is her relationship with the other members of the family?
Essay Topic 3
When Trevor is picking on the new boy about being white, the boy counters, saying that Trevor obviously has a white father who lives on the other side of the highway. Was the new boy right to strike Trevor in a way that was so hurtful? Why or why not?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)