|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sign for Jesus?
2. What is Trevor doing when Frannie and the new boy are walking into the school?
3. What is the first thing Sean says to his mother when he gets home from school?
4. What does Ms. Johnson do to make Rayray pay attention again?
5. Why does Frannie believe Samantha says this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the reactions of Trevor and Frannie after Ms. Johnson reads the poem about hope being a thing with feathers?
2. Describe the scene on Saturday morning when Frannie and Sean first get out of bed.
3. Describe what happens when Trevor begins harassing the new boy again on Monday.
4. What does Frannie decide to write about and what is her opening sentence?
5. What does Sean explain to Frannie about the bridges and what they mean for his ability to talk to hearing girls?
6. What are some of the things Frannie writes on her paper as part of her assignment in chapter eighteen?
7. Describe the conversation between Frannie and the new boy about where he might have learned to sign.
8. What does the new boy ask when Ms. Johnson tells the class to write about an important day in their lives?
9. Describe the conversation between Samantha and Frannie when Samantha tells Frannie about her dream.
10. What does Frannie mean when she says "Mr. Hungry is here?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Frannie's relationship with the new boy changes over the course of the book. Why does it change? Samantha's thoughts about the new boy also change over the course of the book. Are the changes similar? Are they prompted by the same thing?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Samantha? What is her relationship to Frannie? Who is Maribel? What is her relationship to Frannie? Compare Samantha and Maribel. Which character is most likable? Why?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)