|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frannie say she'd do if Maribel fell?
2. Why do Frannie and Samantha walk so slowly on the way home that day?
3. How old does the new boy say he is when he's adopted?
4. Why does the new boy say part of him wants to hit Trevor?
5. Who is the singing star Frannie is in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what had happened when Frannie was at Samantha's for dinner and asked for chicken.
2. What does Sean explain to Frannie about the bridges and what they mean for his ability to talk to hearing girls?
3. What does the new boy say about Trevor's need to be mean to others. What does Trevor do in chapter eighteen that's mean to Frannie and what is the reaction?
4. What is Frannie's response when Samantha says that Rayray was right when he said Jesus would not come to Price School?
5. Describe Grandma's attitude about sign language, how she communicates with Sean and what Frannie thinks about it.
6. Describe the conversation between Samantha and Frannie when Samantha tells Frannie about her dream.
7. Describe the conversation that takes place when the new boy catches up with Frannie and Samantha as they're walking home from school in chapter twenty-one.
8. What are some of the things Frannie writes on her paper as part of her assignment in chapter eighteen?
9. What does Samantha say about believing in something as she and Frannie are walking home together in chapter sixteen?
10. What does Frannie think she might do on the Saturday she's planning to go to the rec center, and why does she hope Samantha might go with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Trevor is picking on the new boy about being white, the boy counters, saying that Trevor obviously has a white father who lives on the other side of the highway. Was the new boy right to strike Trevor in a way that was so hurtful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various members of Frannie's family, including her parents and grandmother. Which family member is she closest to? Why? What is her relationship with the other members of the family?
Essay Topic 3
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)