|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sean wearing when he joins Mama and Frannie?
2. What does Frannie do when the new boy holds the door open for her?
3. What is the picture Frannie is looking at while she's talking to Samantha on the telephone?
4. What was Mama doing when she heard the news about the draft lottery?
5. Who is the singing star Frannie is in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument that happens between the new boy and Trevor that makes Trevor so angry?
2. What does Frannie say about her mother's rule regarding sugar and what does she do to break that rule? What are the consequences?
3. What does Rayray say about no longer being afraid of Trevor after he swings at the new boy?
4. What were the reactions of Trevor and Frannie after Ms. Johnson reads the poem about hope being a thing with feathers?
5. What does the new boy say about Trevor's need to be mean to others. What does Trevor do in chapter eighteen that's mean to Frannie and what is the reaction?
6. What are some of the things Frannie writes on her paper as part of her assignment in chapter eighteen?
7. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
8. What does the new boy ask when Ms. Johnson tells the class to write about an important day in their lives?
9. Describe the conversation between Frannie and the new boy about where he might have learned to sign.
10. What does Frannie say about the new boy hurting Trevor's feelings and what that proves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the reaction of the class when the new boy first arrives? Why do they react in this way? What happens to make him become more accepted?
Essay Topic 2
Frannie and Sean play a game in which one says a word and the other describes how that word sounds. How did this game come into being? Why is it important to both of them? Frannie says Sean is better at it than she. How can this be true considering that Sean doesn't hear sounds?
Essay Topic 3
Frannie says that Sean taught her to speak and that she grew up "in his world of words." How might Frannie's life have been different without Sean's influence? Would her life have been better? Why or why not?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)