|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frannie say about the sky as they're walking home that day?
2. What does Mama say about the poem when Frannie tells her about it?
3. What is it the reaction of the class when the new boy speaks?
4. What can Frannie smell from the cafeteria?
5. What is Maribel playing on the playground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frannie remember about the baby that didn't "thrive", and what is another memory of someone using that word?
2. How does Frannie describe the new boy's voice on his first morning in the class room, and why does the class react to it?
3. What does Frannie say about her memories of the year she'd started school a month late?
4. What are some of the things Frannie says she would ask Jesus if she met Him?
5. What does Frannie discover when the new boy's father walks into the rec center and what are the reactions of Frannie and Trevor.
6. What does the new boy reveal about himself, where his family had been prior to his arrival at Price, and why he'd moved to Price?
7. What do Frannie and Samantha say about the fact that the new boy is white and Samantha's idea that he might be Jesus?
8. What did Frannie's parents begin doing after Lila's death and what is the significance of this action?
9. What is the game Sean and Frannie sometimes play about sounds and give one example of their game.
10. What does Frannie say about the new boy's appearance as he looks around the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Samantha asks Frannie why she rushed to help Trevor up after he fell in the school yard. What is Samantha's response and what does she mean by this? Why is Frannie skeptical that this could really be Frannie's motivation? Is Frannie right?
Essay Topic 2
Sean says that he would like to live in a world where every window had a bridge to somewhere else. What does he mean by this? Why does he say he'd be willing to be the first to cross? Would you be willing to be the first?
Essay Topic 3
Frannie and Sean play a game in which one says a word and the other describes how that word sounds. How did this game come into being? Why is it important to both of them? Frannie says Sean is better at it than she. How can this be true considering that Sean doesn't hear sounds?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)