|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frannie's reaction when her father takes her hand?
2. Where does Samantha spend most of her time when she's outside at school?
3. What does Frannie say is different about walking home with Samantha in chapter six?
4. Why does Maribel say the new boy should be on the other side of the highway?
5. What is the name of the church Samantha's family attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frannie say some people might see if they looked into her neighborhood and what does she think about her neighborhood?
2. What does Frannie say about how quickly she's growing up?
3. What does Frannie discover when the new boy's father walks into the rec center and what are the reactions of Frannie and Trevor.
4. What is the game Sean and Frannie sometimes play about sounds and give one example of their game.
5. What does the new boy reveal about himself, where his family had been prior to his arrival at Price, and why he'd moved to Price?
6. What did Frannie's parents begin doing after Lila's death and what is the significance of this action?
7. What does Frannie say about the new boy's appearance as he looks around the room?
8. What does Frannie argue when Samantha says that Jesus might have chosen to come to Price at this time because there's a war going on?
9. What does Frannie say about her memories of the year she'd started school a month late?
10. What does Frannie say about Trevor's appearance and what this means about his ethnicity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Samantha? What is her relationship to Frannie? Who is Maribel? What is her relationship to Frannie? Compare Samantha and Maribel. Which character is most likable? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Sean? What is he like? What are his challenges? How does he face these?
Essay Topic 3
Frannie says that Sean taught her to speak and that she grew up "in his world of words." How might Frannie's life have been different without Sean's influence? Would her life have been better? Why or why not?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)