|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he do with what he pulls from his pocket?
2. What's Frannie's chore after dinner?
3. Why does Mama say she can't attend the church Samantha's family attends?
4. What does Samantha say about telling her father that she believes the new boy might be Jesus?
5. What is the name of Frannie's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things Frannie says she would ask Jesus if she met Him?
2. How does Frannie describe the new boy's voice on his first morning in the class room, and why does the class react to it?
3. What does Frannie say about Trevor's reputation and the way other children felt about him?
4. What are the scars on Frannie's hands, where did they come from and what does her mother do to them sometimes?
5. What does Frannie say about her memories of the year she'd started school a month late?
6. What does Maribel say about the lunch and what is the comparison she makes to another cafeteria?
7. What does Frannie remember about the baby that didn't "thrive", and what is another memory of someone using that word?
8. What does the new boy say when Frannie asks what it was like to live on the other side of the highway.
9. What does Frannie say some people might see if they looked into her neighborhood and what does she think about her neighborhood?
10. Describe the conversation between Sean and Frannie as they begin cooking dinner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Frannie. What kind of person is she? What are the most important aspects of her life? Why are these important?
Essay Topic 2
There is a division among blacks and whites even though segregation has been outlawed. Did this situation exist in the 1970s? What has changed since that time?
Essay Topic 3
What does Samantha come to believe about the new boy? Why does she believe this? What is the effect on Samantha when she realizes he isn't what she'd hoped for? What does Frannie say about Samantha's reaction?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)