|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Frannie's sister who died?
2. What grade is Frannie in?
3. What does Samantha say about telling her father that she believes the new boy might be Jesus?
4. Which street does Samantha take when the girls reach the corner where they go separate ways?
5. What time does Mama get up on Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frannie say some people might see if they looked into her neighborhood and what does she think about her neighborhood?
2. What does Frannie say about Trevor's reputation and the way other children felt about him?
3. What does the new boy say when Frannie asks what it was like to live on the other side of the highway.
4. What does Frannie say about her hair and her mother's one attempt to change it?
5. What are the reactions of Samantha and Maribel when the new boy signs to answer the question posed by Trevor and Rayray?
6. What's Frannie's reaction to Trevor's injury?
7. What does Frannie say is the sign for "believe" and why does she think it's appropriate?
8. What do Sean, Frannie and Mama do on Saturday morning?
9. What does Frannie say about how quickly she's growing up?
10. Describe the conversation between Sean and Frannie as they begin cooking dinner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
Essay Topic 2
There is a division among blacks and whites even though segregation has been outlawed. Did this situation exist in the 1970s? What has changed since that time?
Essay Topic 3
What is the reaction of the class when the new boy first arrives? Why do they react in this way? What happens to make him become more accepted?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)