|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Samantha's coat?
2. What does Frannie's father have when he arrives at home?
3. Why does Maribel say her mama was mad about the new boy's purchase the previous day?
4. What does Frannie do as she and Sean step out of the rec center into the snow?
5. What is written on Maribel's shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Sean and Frannie as they begin cooking dinner.
2. What does Frannie say about Trevor's appearance and what this means about his ethnicity?
3. What does Rayray say about no longer being afraid of Trevor after he swings at the new boy?
4. How was Trevor injured?
5. Describe the conversation between Frannie and the new boy about where he might have learned to sign.
6. What does Frannie decide to write about and what is her opening sentence?
7. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
8. How does Frannie describe the new boy's voice on his first morning in the class room, and why does the class react to it?
9. What do Frannie and Samantha say about the fact that the new boy is white and Samantha's idea that he might be Jesus?
10. What is the game Sean and Frannie sometimes play about sounds and give one example of their game.
Essay Topic 1
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the poem that Frannie likes about hope and feathers. What is Trevor's interpretation of the poem? What is Frannie's mom's interpretation? What is Frannie's interpretation? Which do you believe to be correct? Why?
Essay Topic 3
There is a division among blacks and whites even though segregation has been outlawed. Did this situation exist in the 1970s? What has changed since that time?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)