|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many churches does Samantha say her grandmother attends on Sundays?
2. What sound does Frannie hear from the new boy when he sits down?
3. What is the name of the school Sean attends?
4. Who does Frannie and Daddy pass as they are leaving their building?
5. What is the word Samantha uses to describe the new boy showing up at their school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Frannie sees at the corner of North Conduit and Eastbay Road.
2. What are some of the things Frannie says she would ask Jesus if she met Him?
3. What does Frannie remember about the baby that didn't "thrive", and what is another memory of someone using that word?
4. What does Frannie say about Trevor's appearance and what this means about his ethnicity?
5. What is the game Sean and Frannie sometimes play about sounds and give one example of their game.
6. What does Daddy tell Frannie about her worry over her mother and the new baby?
7. What did Frannie's parents begin doing after Lila's death and what is the significance of this action?
8. What is Frannie's mother's interpretation of the poem about hope, and what does Sean say about it?
9. What does Frannie say about Sean's ability to dance and how she sometimes wished she could live in silence.
10. What is Frannie's reaction to the news that her mother is expecting another baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the reaction of the class when the new boy first arrives? Why do they react in this way? What happens to make him become more accepted?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important scene of the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What does Samantha come to believe about the new boy? Why does she believe this? What is the effect on Samantha when she realizes he isn't what she'd hoped for? What does Frannie say about Samantha's reaction?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)