|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sean say he'd do after he crossed the bridge he's imagined?
2. In the poem Frannie mentions, what is hope like?
3. Why does the boy say he first signed to Frannie?
4. What is Frannie's real first name?
5. What is written on Maribel's shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Frannie and Samantha say about the fact that the new boy is white and Samantha's idea that he might be Jesus?
2. What does Frannie say about Trevor's reputation and the way other children felt about him?
3. What does Frannie say about Sean's ability to dance and how she sometimes wished she could live in silence.
4. What does Frannie say about the new boy's appearance as he looks around the room?
5. How does Frannie describe the new boy's voice on his first morning in the class room, and why does the class react to it?
6. Why does Frannie sit down near Maribel and what does she think about Maribel?
7. What does Frannie discover when the new boy's father walks into the rec center and what are the reactions of Frannie and Trevor.
8. What does Frannie say about her grandmother, her church attendance and her Bible?
9. What are the scars on Frannie's hands, where did they come from and what does her mother do to them sometimes?
10. What does Daddy tell Frannie about her worry over her mother and the new baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frannie says that Sean taught her to speak and that she grew up "in his world of words." How might Frannie's life have been different without Sean's influence? Would her life have been better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Samantha? What is her relationship to Frannie? Who is Maribel? What is her relationship to Frannie? Compare Samantha and Maribel. Which character is most likable? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Samantha asks Frannie why she rushed to help Trevor up after he fell in the school yard. What is Samantha's response and what does she mean by this? Why is Frannie skeptical that this could really be Frannie's motivation? Is Frannie right?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)