|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maribel playing on the playground?
2. Which of the following is among the things in the lobby of Frannie's apartment building?
3. Where does Daddy and Frannie go together that Saturday?
4. What time does Mama get up on Saturday?
5. Where does Samantha spend most of her time when she's outside at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Frannie sees at the corner of North Conduit and Eastbay Road.
2. Describe the conversation between Sean and Frannie as they begin cooking dinner.
3. What did Frannie's parents begin doing after Lila's death and what is the significance of this action?
4. What does Frannie say about their parents decision not to have an operation that might have made Sean hear and about what her mother sometimes does to Sean's ears?
5. What does Frannie remember about the baby that didn't "thrive", and what is another memory of someone using that word?
6. What does the new boy say when Frannie asks what it was like to live on the other side of the highway.
7. What is Frannie's mother's interpretation of the poem about hope, and what does Sean say about it?
8. What are the reactions of Samantha and Maribel when the new boy signs to answer the question posed by Trevor and Rayray?
9. Describe the conversation between Frannie and the girls who are watching Sean play basketball.
10. What does Frannie say is the sign for "believe" and why does she think it's appropriate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Trevor is picking on the new boy about being white, the boy counters, saying that Trevor obviously has a white father who lives on the other side of the highway. Was the new boy right to strike Trevor in a way that was so hurtful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
Essay Topic 3
What does Samantha come to believe about the new boy? Why does she believe this? What is the effect on Samantha when she realizes he isn't what she'd hoped for? What does Frannie say about Samantha's reaction?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)