|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frannie draw on her paper after learning that Trevor was absent?
2. What is Rayray's real name?
3. What is Frannie's real first name?
4. What does Mama call the library?
5. What is the name of the church Samantha's family attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the scars on Frannie's hands, where did they come from and what does her mother do to them sometimes?
2. What do Sean, Frannie and Mama do on Saturday morning?
3. How was Trevor injured?
4. What does Frannie say about Trevor's reputation and the way other children felt about him?
5. What does Frannie say about her grandmother, her church attendance and her Bible?
6. What does Frannie say about her hair and her mother's one attempt to change it?
7. What does Frannie say about how quickly she's growing up?
8. What are some of the things Frannie says she would ask Jesus if she met Him?
9. What does Frannie say about Trevor's appearance and what this means about his ethnicity?
10. What does Frannie note about Samantha's manners and what happens at the table to make her take note of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Frannie's relationship with the new boy changes over the course of the book. Why does it change? Samantha's thoughts about the new boy also change over the course of the book. Are the changes similar? Are they prompted by the same thing?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Samantha? What is her relationship to Frannie? Who is Maribel? What is her relationship to Frannie? Compare Samantha and Maribel. Which character is most likable? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Frannie and Sean play a game in which one says a word and the other describes how that word sounds. How did this game come into being? Why is it important to both of them? Frannie says Sean is better at it than she. How can this be true considering that Sean doesn't hear sounds?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)