|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frannie's father do for a living?
2. When Samantha starts listing arguments as to why Jesus might return in their time, she says because of hurricanes and tornadoes. What is Frannie's response to that?
3. What does the boy say is the reason he and his family left their home on the other side of the highway?
4. Where does Rayray say the new boy would be if he really was Jesus?
5. What is the feature Frannie most wants from her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Frannie and the girls who are watching Sean play basketball.
2. How does Frannie describe the new boy's voice on his first morning in the class room, and why does the class react to it?
3. What do Sean, Frannie and Mama do on Saturday morning?
4. What does Frannie remember about the baby that didn't "thrive", and what is another memory of someone using that word?
5. Describe what Frannie sees at the corner of North Conduit and Eastbay Road.
6. Describe the conversation between Sean and Frannie as they begin cooking dinner.
7. What does Frannie say about her memories of the year she'd started school a month late?
8. What does Frannie argue when Samantha says that Jesus might have chosen to come to Price at this time because there's a war going on?
9. What does the new boy say when Frannie asks what it was like to live on the other side of the highway.
10. What does Frannie say some people might see if they looked into her neighborhood and what does she think about her neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the social setting for the story. What are the attitudes of blacks and whites toward each other? What are the attitudes of most people toward people with disabilities, such as deafness?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Sean? What is he like? What are his challenges? How does he face these?
Essay Topic 3
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)