|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mama say she can't attend the church Samantha's family attends?
2. How many churches does Samantha say her grandmother attends on Sundays?
3. When do Frannie's mom and dad begin attending church?
4. What's Frannie's chore after dinner?
5. Why does Frannie say she left the gym before Sean's game was over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the scars on Frannie's hands, where did they come from and what does her mother do to them sometimes?
2. What does the new boy say about Trevor's need to be mean to others. What does Trevor do in chapter eighteen that's mean to Frannie and what is the reaction?
3. What is Frannie's response when Samantha asks why Frannie helped Trevor up?
4. What does Frannie note about Samantha's manners and what happens at the table to make her take note of them?
5. What does Maribel say about the lunch and what is the comparison she makes to another cafeteria?
6. What does Rayray say about no longer being afraid of Trevor after he swings at the new boy?
7. Why does Frannie sit down near Maribel and what does she think about Maribel?
8. What does Frannie argue when Samantha says that Jesus might have chosen to come to Price at this time because there's a war going on?
9. Describe the conversation that takes place after Sean arrives home from school.
10. What does the new boy say when Frannie asks what it was like to live on the other side of the highway.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the poem that Frannie likes about hope and feathers. What is Trevor's interpretation of the poem? What is Frannie's mom's interpretation? What is Frannie's interpretation? Which do you believe to be correct? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Frannie says that Sean taught her to speak and that she grew up "in his world of words." How might Frannie's life have been different without Sean's influence? Would her life have been better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does Samantha come to believe about the new boy? Why does she believe this? What is the effect on Samantha when she realizes he isn't what she'd hoped for? What does Frannie say about Samantha's reaction?
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)