|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maribel say the new boy should be on the other side of the highway?
2. What does Frannie say she always smells in the rec center?
3. What's the weather like on the day of the new boy's arrival in Frannie's class?
4. Where is Trevor sitting?
5. What has Frannie written below her name on her notebook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frannie say about her hair and her mother's one attempt to change it?
2. What does Frannie say about her grandmother, her church attendance and her Bible?
3. What does Frannie say about her memories of the year she'd started school a month late?
4. What does Frannie say about their parents decision not to have an operation that might have made Sean hear and about what her mother sometimes does to Sean's ears?
5. What does Frannie argue when Samantha says that Jesus might have chosen to come to Price at this time because there's a war going on?
6. What are the reactions of Samantha and Maribel when the new boy signs to answer the question posed by Trevor and Rayray?
7. Describe the conversation between Frannie and the girls who are watching Sean play basketball.
8. What do Sean, Frannie and Mama do on Saturday morning?
9. What does Frannie remember about the baby that didn't "thrive", and what is another memory of someone using that word?
10. What is Frannie's mother's interpretation of the poem about hope, and what does Sean say about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important scene of the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Frannie says that Sean taught her to speak and that she grew up "in his world of words." How might Frannie's life have been different without Sean's influence? Would her life have been better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
List one of the major themes of this book? Give at least three examples of theme in the story.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)