|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rayray say the new boy would be if he really was Jesus?
2. What is noteworthy about the new boy's father?
3. What does Frannie's father do for a living?
4. What can Frannie smell from the cafeteria?
5. What is written by the rule "no graffiti" in the hallway of the rec center?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frannie say about her grandmother, her church attendance and her Bible?
2. What does Daddy tell Frannie about her worry over her mother and the new baby?
3. What does Frannie say about her hair and her mother's one attempt to change it?
4. What does Frannie say some people might see if they looked into her neighborhood and what does she think about her neighborhood?
5. What do Frannie and Samantha say about the fact that the new boy is white and Samantha's idea that he might be Jesus?
6. What did Frannie's parents begin doing after Lila's death and what is the significance of this action?
7. What does Maribel say about the lunch and what is the comparison she makes to another cafeteria?
8. What does the new boy reveal about himself, where his family had been prior to his arrival at Price, and why he'd moved to Price?
9. What does Frannie say about Trevor's appearance and what this means about his ethnicity?
10. What's Frannie's reaction to Trevor's injury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Samantha asks Frannie why she rushed to help Trevor up after he fell in the school yard. What is Samantha's response and what does she mean by this? Why is Frannie skeptical that this could really be Frannie's motivation? Is Frannie right?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Sean? What is he like? What are his challenges? How does he face these?
Essay Topic 3
Frannie says that Sean taught her to speak and that she grew up "in his world of words." How might Frannie's life have been different without Sean's influence? Would her life have been better? Why or why not?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)