|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first to ask the new boy's name?
(d) Mrs. Johnson.
2. What is written by the rule "no graffiti" in the hallway of the rec center?
(a) A gang symbol.
(b) The words "why not".
(c) A name and a frownie face.
3. What is written on Maribel's shirt?
(b) Black Pride.
(c) Casey School.
4. Why does Mama say she can't attend the church Samantha's family attends?
(a) She isn't good enough or bad enough.
(b) They are different religions.
(c) The two families have had a falling out.
(d) She wouldn't fit in because she doesn't have nice clothes.
5. Where is the church Frannie's parents attend?
(a) Around the corner from their house.
(b) Near Samantha's house.
(c) Across the street from the school.
(d) Across town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does Frannie hear from the new boy when he sits down?
2. How many churches does Samantha say her grandmother attends on Sundays?
3. What is Frannie's real first name?
4. Where is Trevor sitting?
5. What is the name of the church Samantha's family attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frannie's reaction to the news that her mother is expecting another baby?
2. How does Frannie describe the new boy's voice on his first morning in the class room, and why does the class react to it?
3. What does Frannie say about how quickly she's growing up?
4. What's Frannie's reaction to Trevor's injury?
5. What does Frannie note about Samantha's manners and what happens at the table to make her take note of them?
6. What does Frannie remember about the baby that didn't "thrive", and what is another memory of someone using that word?
7. What does Frannie say some people might see if they looked into her neighborhood and what does she think about her neighborhood?
8. What does Frannie say is the sign for "believe" and why does she think it's appropriate?
9. Describe the conversation between Sean and Frannie as they begin cooking dinner.
10. What do Frannie and Samantha say about the fact that the new boy is white and Samantha's idea that he might be Jesus?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)