|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frannie say about the baby of the family?
(a) That the new baby will be a welcome change to the family.
(b) That she's still the baby for a little while longer.
(c) That there should be many more babies .
(d) That there shouldn't be another baby.
2. How old does Mama say Frannie was when she first started talking about Mr. Hungry?
(a) About nine.
(b) About seven.
(c) About three.
(d) About five.
3. What is the first thing Sean says to his mother when he gets home from school?
(a) What did the doctor say?
(b) Can I help?
(c) What's for dinner?
(d) Why are you up?
4. What is the sign for Jesus?
(a) The middle finger touching the opposite palm.
(b) Both hand stretched out as if nailed to the cross.
(c) Hands folded together with two fingers pointed up.
(d) Both hands together as if in prayer.
5. What are the smells Frannie associates with her grandmother?
(a) Onions and peppermint.
(b) Coconut and lavendar.
(c) Pineapple and roses.
(d) Lilies and liniment.
6. What does Frannie say she would have asked if the new boy really had been Jesus?
(a) If there would ever be another spring time.
(b) If Sean would find a girlfriend who wasn't deaf.
(c) If she was going to Heaven.
(d) If Lila was okay.
7. What is the first word Sean taught Frannie to sign?
8. What is Rayray doing while Ms. Johnson is talking about writing a story?
(a) Reading a comic book.
(c) Scratching his name into his desk.
(d) Looking out the window.
9. What is Trevor doing when Frannie and the new boy are walking into the school?
(a) Walking into the classroom.
(b) Making threatening gestures.
(c) Sitting on the ground
(d) Leaning against the fence.
10. What does Samantha say she dreamed about the previous night?
(a) Sitting on God's lap.
(b) The new boy.
(c) Living on the other side of the highway.
11. What is Sean's reaction when a girl asks his name?
(a) He tells Frannie to tell her.
(b) He doesn't respond at all.
(c) He writes it on a piece of paper.
(d) He signs it.
12. What does the new boy have wrapped around his finger when Trevor begins talking to him?
(a) Red licorice.
(b) A piece of copper wire.
(c) A string from a yo-yo.
(d) The chain he's wearing around his neck.
13. What's for lunch on Wednesday?
(c) Hamburgers and fries.
(d) Sandwiches and soup.
14. What does Ms. Johnson say about writer's block?
(a) That she's never seen it happen.
(b) That it doesn't exist.
(c) That it happens to everyone.
(d) That you have to find a way to work through it.
15. What does Frannie say she might do when she gets to the rec center?
(a) Think of evil things to say to the hearing girls.
(b) All the above.
(c) Beat the new boy at pinball.
(d) Look for new graffiti.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lets Frannie know that Samantha has arrived?
2. What is Samantha wearing to school in chapter eighteen?
3. What kind of hat does Frannie wear to church that Sunday?
4. What does Frannie feel while she's sitting in Mama's lap?
5. What is it that Frannie says Casper the Friendly Ghost is always trying to do?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)