|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What's the news Daddy shares that explains why Mama is tired?
(a) Their grandmother is ill.
(b) There's a baby coming.
(c) Mama has cancer.
(d) She's sitting up at night with a neighbor.
2. Where does Daddy and Frannie go together that Saturday?
(a) To Frannie's grandmother's house.
(b) To buy groceries.
(c) To a burger place for lunch.
(d) To the park.
3. Why was Frannie's sister named Lila?
(a) After Frannie's father's sister.
(b) After her mother's favorite flower.
(c) After her mother's great-grandmother.
(d) Sean picked the name.
4. What does Frannie draw on her paper after learning that Trevor was absent?
(a) A boy on a swing.
(b) A jail.
(c) A girl on a bicycle.
(d) A bridge.
5. What does the boy say is the reason he and his family left their home on the other side of the highway?
(a) That he'd wanted to know how blacks lived.
(b) That he hated the school.
(c) That it was difficult for his parents.
(d) That they couldn't afford to live there.
6. What does Frannie say about Mrs. Johnson's willingness to continue working on an issue until everyone gets it?
(a) That she's always bored by the time they move on.
(b) That it makes her a good teacher.
(c) That Mrs. Johnson is too patient.
(d) That Mrs. Johnson always moves on too quickly.
7. What does Frannie say about the sky as they're walking home that day?
(a) It's clear and crisp.
(b) It's already dark with no stars.
(c) There are dark clouds.
(d) There's too much smog to see the sky.
8. What happens when Frannie touches the surface of the tiny creek with her boot?
(a) She slips and almost falls in.
(b) The ripples spread out and fade away.
(c) Her shoe gets wet.
(d) The ice cracks.
9. What color are Trevor's eyes?
10. Why did Frannie start school a month late one year?
(a) She hadn't been old enough to attend school yet.
(b) Mama had been in the hospital.
(c) She had chicken pox.
(d) The family was moving.
11. What is Frannie doing when she hears Sean turn off the television and go to his room?
(a) Eating cereal.
(b) Cleaning the bathroom.
(c) Talking on the phone.
(d) Watching her mother sleep.
12. What does one of Sean's friends sign to him when Frannie walks in?
(a) Your sister's here.
(b) Who's that girl?
(c) She's cute.
(d) Babysitting time.
13. In the poem Frannie mentions, what is hope like?
(c) A ship.
(d) A bird.
14. What does Mama say about the poem when Frannie tells her about it?
(a) That Frannie shouldn't waste her time with poetry.
(b) That it means she should be looking foward.
(c) That it's silly.
(d) That there's an important lesson but she's not sure what that is.
15. What is the name of the school Sean attends?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frannie's father work for?
2. What does Mama say surreal means?
3. What is the name of the church Samantha's family attends?
4. What does the boy say his father had promised about people on this side of the highway?
5. What does Sean say he'd do after he crossed the bridge he's imagined?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)