|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What's the news Daddy shares that explains why Mama is tired?
(a) Their grandmother is ill.
(b) There's a baby coming.
(c) She's sitting up at night with a neighbor.
(d) Mama has cancer.
2. Where does Rayray say the new boy would be if he really was Jesus?
(a) At a special-needs school.
(b) At a church.
(c) At a white school.
(d) At a private school.
3. What's Sean's response when Daddy says he's to wash the dishes?
(a) That he doesn't mind.
(b) That he has too much homework.
(c) That he doesn't want to wash.
(d) That he shouldn't have to cook and wash.
4. Why does Frannie say she left the gym before Sean's game was over?
(a) She doesn't say.
(b) She hadn't wanted to see him lose.
(c) It was hot and stinky in there.
(d) She'd wanted to catch up with the new boy.
5. What is it the reaction of the class when the new boy speaks?
(a) They catch their breaths.
(b) They become very quiet.
(c) They laugh.
(d) They don't react at all.
6. What does Mama call the library?
(a) A magical place.
(b) Day care center.
(c) A waste of space.
(d) The book place.
7. What is Frannie doing when she hears Sean turn off the television and go to his room?
(a) Eating cereal.
(b) Cleaning the bathroom.
(c) Talking on the phone.
(d) Watching her mother sleep.
8. What does Frannie's father do for a living?
(a) Teaches teachers about new methods.
(b) Teaches school.
(c) Drives a truck.
(d) Organizes meetings and events.
9. When do Frannie's mom and dad begin attending church?
(a) After they discovered that Sean was deaf.
(b) When they married.
(c) After Lila's death.
(d) They've always attended.
10. What is the name of Frannie's school?
(a) Peak Elementary.
(b) John Brown Elementary.
(c) Southside Primary.
11. What's Frannie's chore after dinner?
(a) To dry the dishes and wipe everything down.
(b) To clean up the living room and her bedroom.
(c) To get her homework finished.
(d) To wash dishes and put them away.
12. What color are Trevor's eyes?
13. What does the boy say his father had promised about people on this side of the highway?
(a) That they would teach him to fit in.
(b) That they wouldn't notice that he's white.
(c) That they would be nice.
(d) That they would call him Jesus.
14. What does Frannie say she always smells in the rec center?
15. What does Frannie say she thinks of when she sees the graffiti on buildings in the neighborhood?
(a) Hatred and violence.
(b) Gangs .
(c) Parks and swings.
(d) A giant with a marker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama say surreal means?
2. Why does the boy say he first signed to Frannie?
3. Why is Trevor absent on the second day after the new boy arrives?
4. Where is the church Frannie's parents attend?
5. What does Samantha say is the shortest verse in the Bible?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)