|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Frannie start school a month late one year?
(a) She hadn't been old enough to attend school yet.
(b) Mama had been in the hospital.
(c) The family was moving.
(d) She had chicken pox.
2. What is written by the rule "no graffiti" in the hallway of the rec center?
(a) The words "why not".
(b) A gang symbol.
(d) A name and a frownie face.
3. What does Mama say surreal means?
(a) Very, very real.
(d) Like a dream.
4. What had Frannie been thinking about that very morning?
(a) The year she'd missed a month of school.
(b) That she hopes no one new shows up to their class.
(c) That she wishes it would stop raining so much.
(d) That she wished something new would happen.
5. What does Sean ask Frannie to imagine while they are sitting together at the beginning of chapter three?
(a) Having their father at home all the time.
(b) A bridge that connects the two sides of the highway.
(c) Having al lthe candy and ice cream they wanted.
(d) A world in which hatred doesn't exist.
6. What grade is Frannie in?
7. Why was Frannie's sister named Lila?
(a) After her mother's favorite flower.
(b) After Frannie's father's sister.
(c) After her mother's great-grandmother.
(d) Sean picked the name.
8. What is Daddy's answer when he's asked to name the prettiest place he's ever seen?
(b) His own neighborhood.
9. Why is Trevor absent on the second day after the new boy arrives?
(a) He's in trouble with the law.
(b) His mother won't send him to school with a white boy.
(c) He broke his arm.
(d) He's skipped.
10. Why does the boy say he first signed to Frannie?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) He signs all the time.
(c) He'd seen her signing with Sean.
(d) Trevor told him Frannie's brother is deaf.
11. What does Frannie say about Mrs. Johnson's willingness to continue working on an issue until everyone gets it?
(a) That she's always bored by the time they move on.
(b) That Mrs. Johnson always moves on too quickly.
(c) That Mrs. Johnson is too patient.
(d) That it makes her a good teacher.
12. What's the weather like on the day of the new boy's arrival in Frannie's class?
(a) It's raining.
(b) It's snowing.
(c) It's storming.
(d) It's hot.
13. Where does the new boy sit?
(a) Near the front.
(b) Just in front of Frannie.
(c) Next to Frannie.
(d) Near the back.
14. What does Frannie's father do for a living?
(a) Teaches school.
(b) Drives a truck.
(c) Teaches teachers about new methods.
(d) Organizes meetings and events.
15. What color are the pants the new boy is wearing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frannie say about the sky as they're walking home that day?
2. Why doesn't Franny's family do business with Maribel's mother?
3. What do Trevor and Rayray start calling the new boy?
4. How does Frannie usually wear her hair?
5. What does one of Sean's friends sign to him when Frannie walks in?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)