|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what was Thompson’s friend in Part II, Chapter 10 jailed?
2. What does the attorney tell Lucy when he calls her in Part II, Chapter 5?
3. What does the waitress think the American Dream might be?
4. About what does the person who called Thompson in his Hotel Flamingo room in Part II, Chapter 12 have information?
5. What does the Hotel Flamingo maid do when Thompson and the attorney are done with her in Part II, Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bruce Innes call Thompson, and what does Thompson do after he talks to Bruce? What is the outcome of the situation?
2. How is Thompson doing several hours after taking the attorney’s advise in Part II, Chapter 5, and what must Thompson do at noon the next day?
3. What happened in Aspen when Bruce was singing there one time?
4. How long is the first session of the convention in Part II, Chapter 7, and how does Thompson feel about being there?
5. What changes in the narration in Part II, Chapter 9?
6. What happens when Thompson is checking into the Hotel Flamingo in Part II, Chapter 2?
7. What does Thompson read in the pharmacy parking lot?
8. Why does Thompson stop east of Baker and what does he get at a pharmacy?
9. How does Thompson handle the situation with the Hotel Flamingo desk clerk in Part II, Chapter 4?
10. What does Thompson do with the Red Shark in the beginning of Part II, and what does he do right after that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
Fully explain why you think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Where is fear seen in the book? Is anything loathed by the main individuals? Why might loathing be a word in the title?
Essay Topic 2
There is no period of time when Thompson is not on some drug or under the influence of alcohol throughout Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Discuss the reliability of Thompson as a narrator given his drug use. Are his perceptions of society, people or even himself, reliable? Why or why not. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Thompson and the attorney have contact with two young people, a young male hitchhiker and a young runaway female.
Compare the two young people as to their innocence and corruptive nature of society. Why might the hitchhiker have remained uncorrupted? Is the girl’s innocence completely gone? How do you think both of them see the world after their contact with Thompson and the attorney? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)