|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the attorney tell Thompson could happen if Thompson struggles against the effects of the drug in Part II, Chapter 5?
2. What does Thompson buy at the pharmacy at the beginning of Part II?
3. What does the short cook in Part II, Chapter 9 give Thompson?
4. Why does Thompson feel on edge around the seminar people in Part II, Chapter 7?
5. What does the attorney do to the Hotel Flamingo maid in Part II, Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thompson stop east of Baker and what does he get at a pharmacy?
2. What happens when Thompson is checking into the Hotel Flamingo in Part II, Chapter 2?
3. What do Thompson and the attorney tell the DA from Georgia and what is the DA’s reaction to it?
4. How does Thompson handle the situation with the Hotel Flamingo desk clerk in Part II, Chapter 4?
5. What happened in Aspen when Bruce was singing there one time?
6. What does the attorney advise Thompson to do after he takes care of the problem with Lucy, and what happens immediately after Thompson follows the attorney’s advice?
7. How long is the first session of the convention in Part II, Chapter 7, and how does Thompson feel about being there?
8. What happens when Thompson is at the car rental booth in Part II?
9. What changes in the narration in Part II, Chapter 9?
10. What does Thompson do with the Red Shark in the beginning of Part II, and what does he do right after that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
People are an integral and important part of almost all literature. Discuss the following:
Compare/contrast the personalities and beliefs of Thompson and the attorney. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Are they people with or without any redeeming qualities? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Thompson and the attorney have contact with two young people, a young male hitchhiker and a young runaway female.
Compare the two young people as to their innocence and corruptive nature of society. Why might the hitchhiker have remained uncorrupted? Is the girl’s innocence completely gone? How do you think both of them see the world after their contact with Thompson and the attorney? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The two automobiles that Thompson and the attorney use are a red Chevy convertible and a white Cadillac convertible. The two men even name the cars.
Compare symbolism of the great red shark and the white whale. What do they represent? How do they tie in with Thompson’s view of the American culture? If the two were in a life and death struggle, who would win, the red shark or the white whale? Why? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)