|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do Thompson and the attorney tell the waitress in Part II, Chapter 9 they are looking?
2. Who calls Thompson while he is still in the Hotel Flamingo room in Part II, Chapter 12?
3. Where are Thompson and the attorney at the beginning of Part II, Chapter 6?
4. Why does the attorney give drugs to the girl with him in the Hotel Flamingo room?
5. Why does the waitress in Part II, Chapter 8 tell Thompson and the attorney to leave the diner?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, Chapter 8, what happens when Thompson is driving the White Whale around Las Vegas with the attorney?
2. What does Thompson and the attorney do with the girl in the hotel room in Part II, Chapter 3?
3. What happened in Aspen when Bruce was singing there one time?
4. What happens when Thompson is checking into the Hotel Flamingo in Part II, Chapter 2?
5. Why does Bruce Innes call Thompson, and what does Thompson do after he talks to Bruce? What is the outcome of the situation?
6. What do Thompson and the attorney tell the DA from Georgia and what is the DA’s reaction to it?
7. Why does Thompson stop east of Baker and what does he get at a pharmacy?
8. How does the attorney keep Thompson from leaving Las Vegas in Part II, Chapter 5?
9. What happens between Thompson and the attorney and the waitress at the diner in Part II, Chapter 8?
10. What happens with the Hotel Flamingo maid in Part II, Chapter 11 when she comes into the suite when Thompson and the attorney are there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
Fully explain why you think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Where is fear seen in the book? Is anything loathed by the main individuals? Why might loathing be a word in the title?
Essay Topic 2
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas belongs to the Gonzo journalism genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the Gonzo journalism genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a book? What do you think is the difference between a Gonzo journalism and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and what they foreshadow? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)