|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the young man do with the astronaut’s autograph?
2. What does the attorney order when he and Thompson stop at a diner in Part II, Chapter 8?
3. What does Thompson tell people as to why Thompson is leaving the seminar in Part II, Chapter 7?
4. About what does the person who called Thompson in his Hotel Flamingo room in Part II, Chapter 12 have information?
5. How many types of marijuana use does a speaker name at the convention in Part II, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thompson feel when he returns to their destroyed suite at the Hotel Flamingo in Part II, Chapter 11?
2. What changes in the narration in Part II, Chapter 9?
3. How is Thompson doing several hours after taking the attorney’s advise in Part II, Chapter 5, and what must Thompson do at noon the next day?
4. Why does Bruce Innes call Thompson, and what does Thompson do after he talks to Bruce? What is the outcome of the situation?
5. What do Thompson and the attorney tell the DA from Georgia and what is the DA’s reaction to it?
6. What does Thompson do with the Red Shark in the beginning of Part II, and what does he do right after that?
7. How does the attorney keep Thompson from leaving Las Vegas in Part II, Chapter 5?
8. In Part II, Chapter 8, what happens when Thompson is driving the White Whale around Las Vegas with the attorney?
9. What does Thompson find when he enters his hotel room in Part II, Chapter 3?
10. What happens when Thompson is at the car rental booth in Part II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas belongs to the Gonzo journalism genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the Gonzo journalism genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a book? What do you think is the difference between a Gonzo journalism and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
The attorney fills a young girl full of drugs and then uses her sexually.
Discuss why what the attorney does with Lucy is rape and whether you think he should be prosecuted or not. Discuss reasons Lucy might have for being in the room with him. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action-driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven or action-driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)