|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thompson suggest to the attorney they do with the girl the attorney brought with him to the Hotel Flamingo?
2. For what was Thompson’s friend in Part II, Chapter 10 jailed?
3. What is written instead of the manuscript, as explained in Part II, Chapter 9?
4. Why does the waitress in Part II, Chapter 8 tell Thompson and the attorney to leave the diner?
5. How old was the man in the newspaper article Thompson reads in the pharmacy parking lot at the beginning of Part II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Thompson and the attorney and the waitress at the diner in Part II, Chapter 8?
2. In Part II, Chapter 8, what happens when Thompson is driving the White Whale around Las Vegas with the attorney?
3. How does Thompson handle the situation with the Hotel Flamingo desk clerk in Part II, Chapter 4?
4. What happens when Thompson is checking into the Hotel Flamingo in Part II, Chapter 2?
5. How does Thompson feel when he returns to their destroyed suite at the Hotel Flamingo in Part II, Chapter 11?
6. What does Thompson read in the pharmacy parking lot?
7. How does Thompson’s young friend get out of his trouble, as described in Part II, Chapter 10?
8. What does Thompson do with the Red Shark in the beginning of Part II, and what does he do right after that?
9. Why does Thompson stop east of Baker and what does he get at a pharmacy?
10. Why does the Hotel Flamingo desk clerk accost Thompson and the attorney when they return to the hotel in Part II, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
Fully explain why you think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Where is fear seen in the book? Is anything loathed by the main individuals? Why might loathing be a word in the title?
Essay Topic 2
Thompson and the attorney have contact with two young people, a young male hitchhiker and a young runaway female.
Compare the two young people as to their innocence and corruptive nature of society. Why might the hitchhiker have remained uncorrupted? Is the girl’s innocence completely gone? How do you think both of them see the world after their contact with Thompson and the attorney? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are numerous references that Thompson makes to the American Dream. Two are: Thompson begins a fairly lucid explanation for their trip through the desert. He and his attorney, Thompson says, are in search of the American Dream. Thompson and his attorney sit in the bar of the Circus-Circus, the attorney begins to complain of a drug-induced paranoia that is slowly taking hold of him. Thompson attempts to combat this by telling his companion that they are sitting in the "vortex of the American dream."
Define the American Dream according to Thompson. What does it encompass? Why is he looking for it? Is it real? Do you think he finds it by the end of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Use at least three examples of places in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas when Thompson mentions the American Dream.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)