|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what kind of food place does Thompson and the attorney stop in Part II, Chapter 9?
2. In Part II, what car does the man at the car rental booth recommend?
3. Why was the person in jail , according to the newspaper article Thompson read in the pharmacy parking lot?
4. What kind of art does the girl with the attorney in the Hotel Flamingo room do?
5. Who calls Thompson while he is still in the Hotel Flamingo room in Part II, Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Aspen when Bruce was singing there one time?
2. What happens with the Hotel Flamingo maid in Part II, Chapter 11 when she comes into the suite when Thompson and the attorney are there?
3. What happens when Thompson is at the car rental booth in Part II?
4. What do Thompson and the attorney tell the DA from Georgia and what is the DA’s reaction to it?
5. Why does the Hotel Flamingo desk clerk accost Thompson and the attorney when they return to the hotel in Part II, Chapter 4?
6. What does the waitress at the taco stand in Part II, Chapter 9 believe when Thompson and the attorney tell her they are looking for the American Dream, and what does the cook say to them?
7. What does the attorney advise Thompson to do after he takes care of the problem with Lucy, and what happens immediately after Thompson follows the attorney’s advice?
8. Why does Bruce Innes call Thompson, and what does Thompson do after he talks to Bruce? What is the outcome of the situation?
9. How does Thompson handle the situation with the Hotel Flamingo desk clerk in Part II, Chapter 4?
10. What happened to a friend of Thompson’s in Las Vegas, as described in Part II, Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no period of time when Thompson is not on some drug or under the influence of alcohol throughout Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Discuss the reliability of Thompson as a narrator given his drug use. Are his perceptions of society, people or even himself, reliable? Why or why not. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and what they foreshadow? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 3
The attorney fills a young girl full of drugs and then uses her sexually.
Discuss why what the attorney does with Lucy is rape and whether you think he should be prosecuted or not. Discuss reasons Lucy might have for being in the room with him. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)