|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thompson fend off the lawyer in their hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
2. Of what nationality is the lawyer?
3. Why does Thompson begin driving faster after the lawyer pulls out a gun in Part 1?
4. How much money was the man who talked about abusing his wife given when he was taken to the bus stop?
5. On what is Thompson and the lawyer getting high before they leave for Las Vegas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thompson do to see the race better, and what does he do when that fails?
2. How does the man in the Harley-Davidson shirt get to the Mint 400 race?
3. What does Thompson do after the attorney threatens people in the elevator in Part I, Chapter 7, and why does the attorney feel so badly?
4. What happens when Thompson and the lawyer attempt to check into the first hotel they stay at in Las Vegas?
5. What does Thompson describe about his run in with a Highway Patrol Officer?
6. What happens to the attorney on the way to the racetrack in Part 1, and what does Thompson do about it?
7. What do Thompson and his attorney do right before they leave for Las Vegas?
8. What does Thompson decide to do when the attorney goes into a panic in the Circus-Circus?
9. What seems to change Thompson’s plans to leave Las Vegas in Part I?
10. What does Thompson realize after the attorney pulls a gun on him in Part I, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful book and why Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is or is not a successful book based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful book should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
Fully explain why you think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Where is fear seen in the book? Is anything loathed by the main individuals? Why might loathing be a word in the title?
Essay Topic 3
Thompson refers to himself as a "doctor of journalism," taking on a title that suggests authority. Also, without a doubt, within the field of gonzo journalism Thompson is an authority unto himself.
With research, define gonzo journalism and discuss reasons Thompson might consider himself a gonzo journalist. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)