|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the person Thompson mentioned when talking about the long term effects of drug use do when Thompson asked him/her a question?
2. Who does Thompson say he sees in Baker?
3. What kind of race is the Mint 400?
4. What is the lawyer doing when Thompson returns to the hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
5. For what does Thompson tell the hitchhiker he and the lawyer are searching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to change Thompson’s plans to leave Las Vegas in Part I?
2. What worries Thompson about his and his attorney’s behavior in front of the hitchhiker, and what does Thompson decide to do about it?
3. What is waiting for Thompson at Hotel Flamingo in Part I, Chapter 10, and what does Thompson decide to do about the telegram he receives?
4. What does Thompson do to see the race better, and what does he do when that fails?
5. What is the thought that finally spurs Thompson to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
6. Why and how does the hitchhiker leave the car that the attorney is driving?
7. What does Thompson describe about his run in with a Highway Patrol Officer?
8. What does Thompson tell the lawyer they must do when they get to their room in the first hotel they stay at in Las Vegas?
9. What does Thompson realize after the attorney pulls a gun on him in Part I, Chapter 3?
10. How is Thompson trying to leave Las Vegas at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The attorney fills a young girl full of drugs and then uses her sexually.
Discuss why what the attorney does with Lucy is rape and whether you think he should be prosecuted or not. Discuss reasons Lucy might have for being in the room with him. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of morality in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Consider the following questions as you write: Examine which individuals are most concerned with morals and about what their concern is centered. What are some symbols of morality? Discuss the individuals who see themselves as moral or immoral. Would you judge the two main individuals as moral or immoral and why? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Trace and analyze the theme of satisfaction with one’s life in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Which individuals struggle with this issue? Why? Which individuals seem to be satisfied with their life and which are not? Why? How might dissatisfaction with one’s life motivate men such as Thompson and the attorney to use drugs and abuse people? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers place themselves in the position of one person in a book, wondering if they would do the same thing as that person. Discuss the following:
Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not? Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas help a reader to know him/herself?
Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Why or why not. Use examples from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)