|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Thompson uncomfortable in a car full of narcotics in Part 1, Chapter 6?
2. What does Thompson have in his hand as he waits for the police officer to come to his car in Part 1, Chapter 12?
3. What does Thompson do to keep the hitchhiker from getting suspicious as to the men’s condition in Part 1?
4. What does Thompson have that helps his memories of the Saturday night before the race?
5. Why does the attorney pull the car off the road in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to change Thompson’s plans to leave Las Vegas in Part I?
2. What story does Thompson tell readers about the effects of long term drug use?
3. How does Thompson get started on his journey to Las Vegas?
4. What is the thought that finally spurs Thompson to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
5. Why is Thompson feeling so overwhelmed at the thought of leaving Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
6. What happens when Thompson and the lawyer attempt to check into the first hotel they stay at in Las Vegas?
7. What does Thompson decide to do when the attorney goes into a panic in the Circus-Circus?
8. What do Thompson and his attorney do right before they leave for Las Vegas?
9. How is Thompson trying to leave Las Vegas at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 11?
10. What was the result of Thompson’s encounter with the person in his story about the effects of long-term drug use?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thompson and his attorney consume massive amounts of drugs in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Discuss the destruction of property, the violence, immoral behavior and inability to behave in a socially acceptable manner due to the drugs the two men use. Use examples from the text to support your answer.19. Discuss the following:
Do you think most people want a happy ending in a book? Do you think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas would qualify as a book with a happy ending? Why or why not? What do you think are three reasons to read fictionalized memoir and do you think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas fulfills these three reasons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are numerous references that Thompson makes to the American Dream. Two are: Thompson begins a fairly lucid explanation for their trip through the desert. He and his attorney, Thompson says, are in search of the American Dream. Thompson and his attorney sit in the bar of the Circus-Circus, the attorney begins to complain of a drug-induced paranoia that is slowly taking hold of him. Thompson attempts to combat this by telling his companion that they are sitting in the "vortex of the American dream."
Define the American Dream according to Thompson. What does it encompass? Why is he looking for it? Is it real? Do you think he finds it by the end of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Use at least three examples of places in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas when Thompson mentions the American Dream.
Essay Topic 3
There is no period of time when Thompson is not on some drug or under the influence of alcohol throughout Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Discuss the reliability of Thompson as a narrator given his drug use. Are his perceptions of society, people or even himself, reliable? Why or why not. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)