|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the attorney pull the car off the road in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. Why would the warden in Carson City recognize Thompson?
3. What is on the news at the first hotel that disturbs the attorney?
4. What kind of shirt does the man who talks about physically abusing his wife wear?
5. Why does Thompson begin driving faster after the lawyer pulls out a gun in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the thought that finally spurs Thompson to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
2. What does the attorney think when he and Thompson find the photographer’s key waiting for them?
3. Where does Thompson and his lawyer go for a show after leaving the Mint 400, and what happens there? What do they do after that?
4. What does Thompson notice about other journalists at the Mint 400, and how does he feel about what he sees?
5. What does Thompson do to see the race better, and what does he do when that fails?
6. What story does Thompson tell readers about the effects of long term drug use?
7. What seems to change Thompson’s plans to leave Las Vegas in Part I?
8. What happens when Thompson and the lawyer attempt to check into the first hotel they stay at in Las Vegas?
9. What does Thompson say he and his attorney must do to prepare for the trip to Las Vegas?
10. What does Thompson tell the lawyer they must do when they get to their room in the first hotel they stay at in Las Vegas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the recurring images throughout Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is violence. This violence is drug related, or part of the Vietnam War, or the conflict between the protestors and police. Much of the violence cited in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is in the form of Thompson reading newspapers.
Discuss what the author is attempting to say about America and violence. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and what they foreshadow? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 3
There are numerous references that Thompson makes to the American Dream. Two are: Thompson begins a fairly lucid explanation for their trip through the desert. He and his attorney, Thompson says, are in search of the American Dream. Thompson and his attorney sit in the bar of the Circus-Circus, the attorney begins to complain of a drug-induced paranoia that is slowly taking hold of him. Thompson attempts to combat this by telling his companion that they are sitting in the "vortex of the American dream."
Define the American Dream according to Thompson. What does it encompass? Why is he looking for it? Is it real? Do you think he finds it by the end of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Use at least three examples of places in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas when Thompson mentions the American Dream.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)