|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Thompson almost arrested in Part 1?
2. Who does the hotel in Part 1, Chapter 10 think is paying Thompson’s hotel bill?
3. Who does Thompson say he sees in Baker?
4. What shirt is Thompson thinking about wearing for driving home in Part 1, Chapter 11?
5. Over what do Thompson and the lawyer get into an argument after the lawyer pulls the car over to the side of the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thompson decide to do when the attorney goes into a panic in the Circus-Circus?
2. How is Thompson trying to leave Las Vegas at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 11?
3. What does the attorney think when he and Thompson find the photographer’s key waiting for them?
4. What does Thompson notice about other journalists at the Mint 400, and how does he feel about what he sees?
5. Where is Thompson’s lawyer when Thompson decides to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 9, and what does the lawyer leave with Thompson?
6. Where does Thompson and his lawyer go for a show after leaving the Mint 400, and what happens there? What do they do after that?
7. Why does Thompson decide to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 9?
8. What does Thompson describe about his run in with a Highway Patrol Officer?
9. What does Thompson realize after the attorney pulls a gun on him in Part I, Chapter 3?
10. What worries Thompson about his and his attorney’s behavior in front of the hitchhiker, and what does Thompson decide to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and what they foreshadow? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful book and why Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is or is not a successful book based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful book should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
Fully explain why you think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Where is fear seen in the book? Is anything loathed by the main individuals? Why might loathing be a word in the title?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)