|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the hitchhiker do when the attorney pulls the car off the road in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. What is the bartender wearing at the bar outside Las Vegas where Thompson has stopped at the end of Part 1?
3. Of what nationality is the lawyer?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the lawyer pull out in the elevator?
5. What kind of job does Thompson have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Thompson and his lawyer go for a show after leaving the Mint 400, and what happens there? What do they do after that?
2. Why is Thompson feeling so overwhelmed at the thought of leaving Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
3. What does Thompson notice about other journalists at the Mint 400, and how does he feel about what he sees?
4. Why and how does the hitchhiker leave the car that the attorney is driving?
5. What does Thompson realize after the attorney pulls a gun on him in Part I, Chapter 3?
6. What is the thought that finally spurs Thompson to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
7. What worries Thompson about his and his attorney’s behavior in front of the hitchhiker, and what does Thompson decide to do about it?
8. What does Thompson do to see the race better, and what does he do when that fails?
9. What does Thompson say he and his attorney must do to prepare for the trip to Las Vegas?
10. Where is Thompson’s lawyer when Thompson decides to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 9, and what does the lawyer leave with Thompson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action-driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven or action-driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of morality in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Consider the following questions as you write: Examine which individuals are most concerned with morals and about what their concern is centered. What are some symbols of morality? Discuss the individuals who see themselves as moral or immoral. Would you judge the two main individuals as moral or immoral and why? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Trace and analyze the theme of satisfaction with one’s life in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Which individuals struggle with this issue? Why? Which individuals seem to be satisfied with their life and which are not? Why? How might dissatisfaction with one’s life motivate men such as Thompson and the attorney to use drugs and abuse people? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful book and why Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is or is not a successful book based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful book should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)