|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thompson fend off the lawyer in their hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
2. What color is the vehicle that Thompson and his lawyer are driving to Las Vegas?
3. Why was a pharmacy owner arrested, according to a newspaper Thompson reads while waiting for his car in Chapter 1, Chapter 9?
4. Why was Muhammad Ali sentenced, according to a newspaper Thompson reads while waiting for his car in Chapter 1, Chapter 9?
5. Who does Thompson say he sees in Baker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Thompson stop in Baker, California, and how is he feeling while he is there?
2. What does Thompson do to see the race better, and what does he do when that fails?
3. How does Thompson get started on his journey to Las Vegas?
4. Why is Thompson feeling so overwhelmed at the thought of leaving Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
5. What is the thought that finally spurs Thompson to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
6. What does Thompson notice about other journalists at the Mint 400, and how does he feel about what he sees?
7. What does the attorney think when he and Thompson find the photographer’s key waiting for them?
8. What does Thompson realize after the attorney pulls a gun on him in Part I, Chapter 3?
9. What does Thompson describe about his run in with a Highway Patrol Officer?
10. What does Thompson decide to do when the attorney goes into a panic in the Circus-Circus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
People are an integral and important part of almost all literature. Discuss the following:
Compare/contrast the personalities and beliefs of Thompson and the attorney. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Are they people with or without any redeeming qualities? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful book and why Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is or is not a successful book based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful book should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not
Essay Topic 3
There are numerous references that Thompson makes to the American Dream. Two are: Thompson begins a fairly lucid explanation for their trip through the desert. He and his attorney, Thompson says, are in search of the American Dream. Thompson and his attorney sit in the bar of the Circus-Circus, the attorney begins to complain of a drug-induced paranoia that is slowly taking hold of him. Thompson attempts to combat this by telling his companion that they are sitting in the "vortex of the American dream."
Define the American Dream according to Thompson. What does it encompass? Why is he looking for it? Is it real? Do you think he finds it by the end of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Use at least three examples of places in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas when Thompson mentions the American Dream.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)