|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Thompson leave his attorney at near the end of Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. What kind of shirt does the man who talks about physically abusing his wife wear?
3. What song is playing on the radio when Thompson takes over the car in Part 1, Chapter 4?
4. What does Thompson see in the carpet at the first hotel bar in Las Vegas?
5. Where were Thompson and the lawyer when Thompson’s employer calls them in Part 1, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thompson say he and his attorney must do to prepare for the trip to Las Vegas?
2. What is waiting for Thompson at Hotel Flamingo in Part I, Chapter 10, and what does Thompson decide to do about the telegram he receives?
3. What does the attorney think when he and Thompson find the photographer’s key waiting for them?
4. What is the thought that finally spurs Thompson to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
5. Why does Thompson decide to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 9?
6. What does Thompson notice about other journalists at the Mint 400, and how does he feel about what he sees?
7. What worries Thompson about his and his attorney’s behavior in front of the hitchhiker, and what does Thompson decide to do about it?
8. What was the result of Thompson’s encounter with the person in his story about the effects of long-term drug use?
9. Where does Thompson and his lawyer go for a show after leaving the Mint 400, and what happens there? What do they do after that?
10. Why is Thompson feeling so overwhelmed at the thought of leaving Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Does all non-fiction have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of morality in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Consider the following questions as you write: Examine which individuals are most concerned with morals and about what their concern is centered. What are some symbols of morality? Discuss the individuals who see themselves as moral or immoral. Would you judge the two main individuals as moral or immoral and why? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Trace and analyze the theme of satisfaction with one’s life in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Which individuals struggle with this issue? Why? Which individuals seem to be satisfied with their life and which are not? Why? How might dissatisfaction with one’s life motivate men such as Thompson and the attorney to use drugs and abuse people? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Thompson and the attorney have contact with two young people, a young male hitchhiker and a young runaway female.
Compare the two young people as to their innocence and corruptive nature of society. Why might the hitchhiker have remained uncorrupted? Is the girl’s innocence completely gone? How do you think both of them see the world after their contact with Thompson and the attorney? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)