|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thompson do while he is drinking at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of the bar in which Thompson is sitting on the outskirts of Las Vegas, in the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11?
3. What does Thompson think, in the beginning of Chapter 12, is a real possibility for him?
4. What is the correspondent from Life magazine doing in Part 1, Chapter 5 that bothers Thompson?
5. How does Thompson fend off the lawyer in their hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thompson’s lawyer ask him to do when Thompson finds him in the bathtub? What is the result of that request?
2. What does Thompson do to see the race better, and what does he do when that fails?
3. What is the thought that finally spurs Thompson to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
4. Where is Thompson’s lawyer when Thompson decides to leave Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 9, and what does the lawyer leave with Thompson?
5. How is Thompson trying to leave Las Vegas at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 11?
6. How does the man in the Harley-Davidson shirt get to the Mint 400 race?
7. What is waiting for Thompson at Hotel Flamingo in Part I, Chapter 10, and what does Thompson decide to do about the telegram he receives?
8. What happens when Thompson and the lawyer attempt to check into the first hotel they stay at in Las Vegas?
9. Why is Thompson feeling so overwhelmed at the thought of leaving Las Vegas in Part I, Chapter 11?
10. Where does Thompson and his lawyer go for a show after leaving the Mint 400, and what happens there? What do they do after that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of morality in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Consider the following questions as you write: Examine which individuals are most concerned with morals and about what their concern is centered. What are some symbols of morality? Discuss the individuals who see themselves as moral or immoral. Would you judge the two main individuals as moral or immoral and why? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Trace and analyze the theme of satisfaction with one’s life in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Which individuals struggle with this issue? Why? Which individuals seem to be satisfied with their life and which are not? Why? How might dissatisfaction with one’s life motivate men such as Thompson and the attorney to use drugs and abuse people? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and what they foreshadow? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 3
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Does all non-fiction have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)