|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thompson do to keep the hitchhiker from getting suspicious as to the men’s condition in Part 1?
(a) He slips the hitchhiker a drug.
(b) He turns on the radio so the hitchhiker cannot talk.
(c) He begins an explanation of why he and the lawyer are traveling.
(d) Thompson pretends to go to sleep.
2. What does the lawyer ask Thompson to do when Thompson returns to the hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) He does not ask Thompson to do anything, he is sleeping.
(b) See if there are any drugs in the ruined pillows.
(c) Throw the radio in the tub.
(d) Talk to the man he has on the phone.
3. Where do the journalists go after the race begins?
(a) To the bar at the race track.
(b) To the finish line.
(d) Back to their hotels, the race will last about seven hours.
4. What color is the vehicle that Thompson and his lawyer are driving to Las Vegas?
5. Why is Thompson uncomfortable in a car full of narcotics in Part 1, Chapter 6?
(a) Las Vegas has harsh drug laws.
(b) He does not have narcotics in his car.
(c) He wants to keep his lawyer sober.
(d) He knows he needs to keep his head clear.
6. How did Diane Hamby, whose body is stuffed in a refrigerator, die, according to a newspaper Thompson reads while waiting for his car in Chapter 1, Chapter 9?
(a) The cause of death is unknown.
(b) She took an overdose of pills and climbed in the refrigerator.
(c) An overdose of heroin.
(d) She was murdered.
7. What is the lawyer doing when Thompson returns to the hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) Taking a bath.
(b) Stabbing the pillows with a letter opener.
(d) Talking on the phone.
8. In Part 1, Chapter 9, what does Thompson read is a main conflict in the United States?
(a) He does not mention any conflict.
(b) Between the gays and the straights.
(c) Between the culture of the 1940’s and the 1970’s.
(d) Between anti-war demonstrators and police.
9. Who does the hotel in Part 1, Chapter 10 think is paying Thompson’s hotel bill?
(a) Raoul Duke.
(c) Dr. Gonzo.
(d) His lawyer.
10. Where did Thompson live in the mid 1960’s?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) San Diego.
(d) Los Angeles.
11. Why does Thompson decide to leave Las Vegas in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) He is running up a large hotel bill and drug use makes him paranoid.
(b) His job is done.
(c) His employer has another assignment for him.
(d) A woman he met wants to see California.
12. What does Thompson do while he is drinking at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Take notes on what he has seen.
(b) Talk to his mom on the phone.
(c) Watch a baseball game on the bar television.
(d) Try to pick-up a female reporter.
13. Why was Thompson almost arrested in Part 1?
(a) He relieved himself in the hotel lobby's planter.
(b) He hit the lawyer.
(c) He did not pay for his drinks in the bar.
(d) He yells about reptiles in the hotel lobby.
14. Why does Thompson leave the lawyer in the hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) So Thompson can clear up the misunderstanding with the photographer.
(b) So Thompson can move the car to the hotel garage.
(c) So the lawyer can sleep off the drugs in his system.
(d) So Thompson can meet a woman from the bar.
15. Where does Thompson leave his attorney at near the end of Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) In a public restroom.
(b) The hotel lobby.
(c) In the car.
(d) In their hotel room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lawyer do when Thompson does not do what the lawyer has asked upon returning to the hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
2. What is in the car Thompson has in Part 1, Chapter 9?
3. How many years did Ali get sentenced to prison, according to a newspaper Thompson reads while waiting for his car in Chapter 1, Chapter 9?
4. What does the hitchhiker do when the attorney pulls the car off the road in Part 1, Chapter 3?
5. Why does Thompson get a telegram in Part 1, Chapter 10?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)