|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Thompson have his first hits of LSD?
(a) In the Fillimore.
(b) In the Cow Palace.
(c) In his brother-in-law’s house.
(d) In Berkeley, attending college.
2. What does Thompson do while he is drinking at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Watch a baseball game on the bar television.
(b) Take notes on what he has seen.
(c) Talk to his mom on the phone.
(d) Try to pick-up a female reporter.
3. To what song playing on the jukebox does Thompson have a bad reaction?
(a) “Bridge Over Troubled Waters.”
(b) “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.”
(c) “Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie.”
(d) “Hey Jude.”
4. Why does Thompson get a telegram in Part 1, Chapter 10?
(a) His brother has been killed in Viet Nam.
(b) His son has been arrested.
(c) He has another writing assignment in Las Vegas.
(d) His mother is in the hospital.
5. What kind of job does Thompson have?
(a) He sells cars.
(b) He is a banker.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a professional gambler.
6. What did the person Thompson mentioned when talking about the long term effects of drug use do when Thompson asked him/her a question?
(a) He hums to himself and does not notice Thompson.
(b) He slaps Thompson in the face.
(c) He lies to Thompson.
(d) He tells Thompson that one has to find their own answers.
7. What does Thompson do while he is waiting for his car to be brought to him in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Reads a newspaper.
(b) Talks to a desk clerk.
(c) Plays a couple of slot machines.
(d) Talks to his lawyer.
8. Why was a pharmacy owner arrested, according to a newspaper Thompson reads while waiting for his car in Chapter 1, Chapter 9?
(a) For having 100,000 pills missing.
(b) For private insurance fraud.
(c) For watering down prescriptions.
(d) For charging Medicare the wrong price.
9. Why does the attorney pull the car off the road in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He is getting sleepy.
(b) He wants something to eat.
(c) He pretends the car is broken.
(d) He is pretending to have a heart attack.
10. What does Thompson have in his hand as he waits for the police officer to come to his car in Part 1, Chapter 12?
(a) A press pass.
(b) His license.
(c) A beer.
(d) An I.D. that says he is a doctor.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 9, what does Thompson read is a main conflict in the United States?
(a) Between the culture of the 1940’s and the 1970’s.
(b) Between anti-war demonstrators and police.
(c) Between the gays and the straights.
(d) He does not mention any conflict.
12. What kind of car are Thompson and his lawyer driving to Las Vegas?
(a) A Ford mustang.
(b) A Dodge Fury.
(c) A Ford pick-up.
(d) A Chevy convertible.
13. For what does Thompson tell the hitchhiker he and the lawyer are searching?
(a) A new hometown for Thompson.
(b) Thompson's son.
(c) The American Dream.
(d) He does not tell the hitchhiker anything, he is pretending to sleep.
14. Why was Thompson almost arrested in Part 1?
(a) He yells about reptiles in the hotel lobby.
(b) He hit the lawyer.
(c) He relieved himself in the hotel lobby's planter.
(d) He did not pay for his drinks in the bar.
15. Why is Thompson uncomfortable in a car full of narcotics in Part 1, Chapter 6?
(a) He wants to keep his lawyer sober.
(b) He knows he needs to keep his head clear.
(c) Las Vegas has harsh drug laws.
(d) He does not have narcotics in his car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lawyer ask Thompson to do when Thompson returns to the hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
2. Who brings a pink telephone to Thompson in Part 1?
3. What magazine in Part 1, Chapter 10 says they want a 50,000 word article from Thompson?
4. What is the name of the bar in which Thompson is sitting on the outskirts of Las Vegas, in the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11?
5. Where did Thompson live in the mid 1960’s?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)