|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Diane Hamby, whose body is stuffed in a refrigerator, die, according to a newspaper Thompson reads while waiting for his car in Chapter 1, Chapter 9?
(a) She took an overdose of pills and climbed in the refrigerator.
(b) An overdose of heroin.
(c) The cause of death is unknown.
(d) She was murdered.
2. How much money was the man who talked about abusing his wife given when he was taken to the bus stop?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Fifteen dollars.
(d) Five dollars.
3. Where does Thompson get his credentials in Part 1?
(a) He carries them with him.
(b) At the hotel office.
(c) At the local newspaper office.
(d) At the press table.
4. How does Thompson think he might find out who won the Mint 400?
(a) Looking at the videos he took.
(b) Calling his photographer.
(c) Reading the L.A. Times.
(d) Getting the local Las Vegas paper.
5. What kind of shirt does the man who talks about physically abusing his wife wear?
(a) An American flag t-shirt.
(b) A Bud light t-shirt.
(c) A Harley-Davidson shirt.
(d) An Idaho campgrounds shirt.
6. Who does Thompson mention when he talks about the long term effects of drug use?
(a) His brother-in-law.
(b) His brother.
(c) A doctor and former LSD guru.
(d) His lawyer.
7. What is the correspondent from Life magazine doing in Part 1, Chapter 5 that bothers Thompson?
(a) He is trying to pick-up Thompson.
(b) He is snorting cocaine in public.
(c) He is drunk and slumped over the bar.
(d) He is being too aggressive with a woman.
8. Why was a pharmacy owner arrested, according to a newspaper Thompson reads while waiting for his car in Chapter 1, Chapter 9?
(a) For charging Medicare the wrong price.
(b) For private insurance fraud.
(c) For having 100,000 pills missing.
(d) For watering down prescriptions.
9. Why does Thompson decide to leave Las Vegas in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) A woman he met wants to see California.
(b) His job is done.
(c) He is running up a large hotel bill and drug use makes him paranoid.
(d) His employer has another assignment for him.
10. What does Thompson think, in the beginning of Chapter 12, is a real possibility for him?
(a) Having a physical and mental breakdown.
(b) Having his wife gone when he gets home.
(c) Not being able to stay in Las Vegas.
(d) Being stopped by a police officer.
11. Why does Thompson begin driving faster after the lawyer pulls out a gun in Part 1?
(a) Thompson wants to arrive at the hotel before he is too messed up to drive.
(b) The lawyer said he is going to shoot Thompson.
(c) Thompson wants to see how fast the car can go.
(d) Thompson is hoping to scare his lawyer.
12. What does the lawyer do when Thompson does not do what the lawyer has asked upon returning to the hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) Poke him in the arm with his pen knife.
(b) Brandish his hunting knife at him.
(c) Threaten him with a gun.
(d) Stabs at him with the letter opener.
13. What is on the news at the first hotel that disturbs the attorney?
(a) Advertising for a rival firm.
(b) A horror flick.
(c) The swearing in of a new Supreme Court justice.
(d) A piece about the Laos invasion.
14. On what is Thompson and the lawyer getting high before they leave for Las Vegas?
(a) LSD and cocaine.
(c) Black Russians.
(d) Mescaline and Singapore Slings.
15. What magazine in Part 1, Chapter 10 says they want a 50,000 word article from Thompson?
(c) Rolling Stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings a pink telephone to Thompson in Part 1?
2. For what does Thompson tell the hitchhiker he and the lawyer are searching?
3. What does Thompson briefly think to do when the hitchhiker talks about the car?
4. Of what nationality is the lawyer?
5. Where do Thompson and the lawyer go after they leave the Debbie Reynolds show?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)