|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Thompson not able to see the race?
(a) It has begun to rain hard.
(b) He does not have a good standing place.
(c) The cloud of dust from the racers is too thick.
(d) He has returned to his hotel.
2. Who brings a pink telephone to Thompson in Part 1?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) A dwarf.
(c) A clown.
(d) His sister.
3. What is the correspondent from Life magazine doing in Part 1, Chapter 5 that bothers Thompson?
(a) He is being too aggressive with a woman.
(b) He is drunk and slumped over the bar.
(c) He is snorting cocaine in public.
(d) He is trying to pick-up Thompson.
4. What is the lawyer doing when Thompson returns to the hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(b) Stabbing the pillows with a letter opener.
(c) Taking a bath.
(d) Talking on the phone.
5. Where did Thompson have his first hits of LSD?
(a) In Berkeley, attending college.
(b) In the Cow Palace.
(c) In his brother-in-law’s house.
(d) In the Fillimore.
6. What does the lawyer ask Thompson to do when Thompson returns to the hotel room in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) Throw the radio in the tub.
(b) He does not ask Thompson to do anything, he is sleeping.
(c) Talk to the man he has on the phone.
(d) See if there are any drugs in the ruined pillows.
7. What kind of job does Thompson have?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He is a banker.
(c) He sells cars.
(d) He is a professional gambler.
8. Why was Muhammad Ali sentenced, according to a newspaper Thompson reads while waiting for his car in Chapter 1, Chapter 9?
(a) For hitting a man on the street.
(b) For refusing to obey the draft.
(c) For cheating in the ring.
(d) For beating his wife.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the lawyer pull out in the elevator?
(a) A razor sharp hunting knife.
(b) A switchblade.
(c) A pen knife.
(d) A Magnum .357.
10. What song is playing on the radio when Thompson takes over the car in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) “Give Peace a Chance.”
(b) “One Tin Soldier.”
(c) “The Eve of Destruction.”
(d) "The Battle Hymn of Lieutenant Calley."
11. Why was a pharmacy owner arrested, according to a newspaper Thompson reads while waiting for his car in Chapter 1, Chapter 9?
(a) For watering down prescriptions.
(b) For charging Medicare the wrong price.
(c) For private insurance fraud.
(d) For having 100,000 pills missing.
12. What does Thompson tell his lawyer is the reason his lawyer should not come to the Flamingo?
(a) He has left Las Vegas.
(b) The Flamingo's rooms are too small.
(c) Thompson is not going to write anymore articles.
(d) Foreigners are not welcome there.
13. Where does Thompson get his credentials in Part 1?
(a) He carries them with him.
(b) At the local newspaper office.
(c) At the hotel office.
(d) At the press table.
14. What is the name of the bar in which Thompson is sitting on the outskirts of Las Vegas, in the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11?
(a) Las Vegas Drinks.
(b) Mile’s Slots and Beer.
(c) Red Slot Pub.
(d) Wild Bill’s Café.
15. On what is Thompson and the lawyer getting high before they leave for Las Vegas?
(a) Mescaline and Singapore Slings.
(b) Black Russians.
(d) LSD and cocaine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the person Thompson mentioned when talking about the long term effects of drug use do when Thompson asked him/her a question?
2. What kind of vehicle is provided for the journalists in Part 1, Chapter 5?
3. Why does Thompson decide to leave Las Vegas in Part 1, Chapter 9?
4. What kind of car are Thompson and his lawyer driving to Las Vegas?
5. What kind of shirt does the man who talks about physically abusing his wife wear?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)