|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
2. Who is Ron Ziegler?
3. According to Thompson, what unprecedented occurrence happens in October of 1972?
4. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
5. In Miami in 1972, how do the sit-ins and protests compare to Thompson's experiences on other campaign trails?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Thompson and his friend decide to resolve the Mankiewicz situation by leaving?
2. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
3. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
4. How does Thompson describe the drug use among the other journalists?
5. How does Eagleton affect McGovern's campaign run?
6. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
7. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
8. What does Thompson mean when he says American politics are based on "perception and reality?"
9. Why does the public find Mankowiecz so unsettling?
10. Why is Thompson the "rock-n-roll emissary" for politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is gonzo journalism? What are the main characteristics of this writing style? How is Hunter S. Thompson connected to this type of writing? In what ways is gonzo journalism demonstrated in "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72?" What is the purpose of this style of journalism? How does this style help immerse the reader in the event that is being covered?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Hunter S. Thompson so compelling as a writer and a subject? In what way does he contribute to his own mystique, despite his honesty and brutal looks at himself? In what way does he exemplify his notions of "perception and reality?" Despite his rebellious ways, why is Thompson so readily accepted by the upper class? In what ways does Thompson resent his public image even as he contributes to it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between politicians and journalists in the following format:
Part 1) How journalists feel about politicians.
Part 2) How politicians feel about journalists.
Part 3) Thompson's opinions on politicians.
Part 4) Thompson's encounters with the politicians, especially Nixon.
Part 5) The Zoo Plane and its exclusivity.
Part 6) Thompson and Mankiewicz.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)