|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the poem at the end of "November Concluded?"
2. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
3. How does Thompson describe the "yin" of the Yin/Yang?
4. How does Thompson describe politicians who decide to become self-aware about the theatricality of their work?
5. Whom did Bobby Kennedy refer to as "the most decent man in the Senate?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
2. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon?
3. How does Thompson describe the varying roles of and attitudes toward professional speech writers?
4. What are some of the behaviors exhibited by the journalists on the Zoo Plane?
5. In what ways is Thompson introducing new readers to the world of politics?
6. Why is Thompson the "rock-n-roll emissary" for politics?
7. In "November Concluded," what stories did Thompson tell about one of the female journalists?
8. Why do Thompson and his friend decide to resolve the Mankiewicz situation by leaving?
9. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
10. What does Thompson mean when he says American politics are based on "perception and reality?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Thompson simultaneously both promote and subvert honesty in journalism? In what ways is his account of the campaign trail in 1972 completely accurate? In what ways is it factually incorrect? How does his use of satire and exaggerations help to engage the reader into experiencing what the author is experiencing? How do some of his exaggerations undermine some of the presidential candidates? How does this relate to Thompson's annoyance at the dishonesty present in several politicians?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nixon and McGovern's respective campaigns in the following format:
Part 1) McGovern's policies.
Part 2) The Eagleton situation.
Part 3) Thompson's estimation of Nixon.
Part 4) The "Nazi-moves" of the Nixon administration.
Part 5) Thompson's interview with Nixon.
Part 6) Nixon's defeat of McGovern.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Jerry Rubin boarding Muskie's train with Thompson's credentials? How does Rubin behave and how does this reflect on Thompson? Despite his actions, what valid points do Rubin and his colleague bring up during Muskie's final speech? How does this ultimately discredit Muskie as a presidential candidate? What is the purpose of the promise of bringing ten thousand naked hippies to peacefully protest and demonstrate during a convention in Florida? How is this indicative of the changing political climate in America?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)