|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What revelation does Thompson make to the readers about his intoxication on the airplane?
2. How do people who are uninterested in politics react to Thompson's writing?
3. In his memory of a previous campaign, what does Thompson realize about the police officers?
4. How did the passengers of Thompson's plane react to others trying to join them on their flight?
5. What is Thompson unable to explain about his preferred candidate in "October?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ron Ziegler become Nixon's PR man?
2. What are Thompson's opinions on what Americans want from their leaders?
3. During the demonstration of a previous campaign, what did Thompson realize about the police officers on the scene?
4. How does Thompson relate the politics of the campaign to the partying of the personnel?
5. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
6. Why is Thompson in such a dark mood in "October?"
7. Describe Thompson's thoughts on the Yin/Yang in regards to Nixon and McGovern.
8. How does Thompson describe the drug use among the other journalists?
9. Why does the public find Mankowiecz so unsettling?
10. How does Thompson describe the passengers of Dakota Queen II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nixon and McGovern's respective campaigns in the following format:
Part 1) McGovern's policies.
Part 2) The Eagleton situation.
Part 3) Thompson's estimation of Nixon.
Part 4) The "Nazi-moves" of the Nixon administration.
Part 5) Thompson's interview with Nixon.
Part 6) Nixon's defeat of McGovern.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
According to Thompson, why is the Chinese symbolism of Yin/Yang important to the 1972 election? How does he define "yin?" How does he define "yang?" How does he apply these concepts to McGovern and Nixon? In what ways does Thompson note that this is part of the pendulum swing in American politics? How is the public support of Nixon indicative of McGovern's policies in 1972?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Jerry Rubin boarding Muskie's train with Thompson's credentials? How does Rubin behave and how does this reflect on Thompson? Despite his actions, what valid points do Rubin and his colleague bring up during Muskie's final speech? How does this ultimately discredit Muskie as a presidential candidate? What is the purpose of the promise of bringing ten thousand naked hippies to peacefully protest and demonstrate during a convention in Florida? How is this indicative of the changing political climate in America?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)