Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
2. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
3. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
4. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
5. In what way did the passengers on Thompson's plane assure their own entry?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hunter S. Thompson's sense of being socially awkward around the other journalists in the following format:
Part 1) His employer.
Part 2) His drug use.
Part 3) His attire and roots.
Part 4) His attitudes about other politicians.
Part 5) His relationships with the other journalists.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
How does Thompson simultaneously both promote and subvert honesty in journalism? In what ways is his account of the campaign trail in 1972 completely accurate? In what ways is it factually incorrect? How does his use of satire and exaggerations help to engage the reader into experiencing what the author is experiencing? How do some of his exaggerations undermine some of the presidential candidates? How does this relate to Thompson's annoyance at the dishonesty present in several politicians?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Thompson's experiences on the campaign trail and how he became burnt out on politics in the following format:
Part 1) Thompson's opinions on politicians and how he experienced the cogs of the machine.
Part 2) The drug use.
Part 3) Thompson's sense of displacement.
Part 4) Thompson's support of McGovern and McGovern's crippling loss.
Part 5) Nixon's re-election.
Part 6) Thompson's decision to become a sports writer.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)