|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eagleton refuse to disclose to the public and to his own party?
2. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
3. In a tongue-in-cheek reference to his employment by the "Rolling Stone," how does Thompson refer to his position as a political writer?
4. In "September," who does Thompson believe would have supported McGovern?
5. During "August," from his memory of a previous campaign, what is Thompson primarily concerned about?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the demonstration of a previous campaign, what did Thompson realize about the police officers on the scene?
2. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
3. Describe the activities of election day.
4. Why does the book turn into a series of dialogues and monologues after Chapter 11?
5. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
6. What are some of the behaviors exhibited by the journalists on the Zoo Plane?
7. How did passengers on the Zoo plane keep the politicians from boarding?
8. What does Thompson mean when he says American politics are based on "perception and reality?"
9. What are Thompson's opinions on what Americans want from their leaders?
10. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the journalists begin to deal with their crippling boredom a few months into the campaign trail? How does this affect the drug use among the writers? Why does Thompson find himself amused and validated by their actions? What is the Zoo Plane? What are some of the activities that happen on the plane? Why do the writers become more hedonistic as the campaign falters? How does this reflect upon the journalists' dedication to their work?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Dakota Queen II and the Zoo Plane. How do the differences between the atmospheres of these two airplanes indicate that the end of the campaign is near? In what ways do their atmospheres signify the general mood of the campaign trail? Why do the journalists indulge as much as they do on the Zoo Plane? Why are all political personnel barred from flying on the Zoo Plane?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nixon and McGovern's respective campaigns in the following format:
Part 1) McGovern's policies.
Part 2) The Eagleton situation.
Part 3) Thompson's estimation of Nixon.
Part 4) The "Nazi-moves" of the Nixon administration.
Part 5) Thompson's interview with Nixon.
Part 6) Nixon's defeat of McGovern.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)