|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
2. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
3. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
4. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
5. In what way did the passengers on Thompson's plane assure their own entry?
Essay Topic 1
How does Hunter S. Thompson feel about politicians? How do politicians generally feel about Thompson? In what way is Thompson's outsider status as a writer for the counter-culture immediately setting him up as an adversary to all politicians? How does this affect his relationship to the Muskie campaign, as well as the McGovern campaign? Why does Frank Mankiewicz attack Thompson? How does all of this figure into Thompson's later declaration that he is going to run for the Senate?
Essay Topic 2
According to Thompson, why is the Chinese symbolism of Yin/Yang important to the 1972 election? How does he define "yin?" How does he define "yang?" How does he apply these concepts to McGovern and Nixon? In what ways does Thompson note that this is part of the pendulum swing in American politics? How is the public support of Nixon indicative of McGovern's policies in 1972?
Essay Topic 3
By the time of the 1972 presidential election, how have politicians come to regard the youth vote and the African-American vote? How has the Vietnam War and the subsequent culture around it (for example, hippies, Woodstock, politically aware actors, and musicians) forced the politicians to start targeting the younger crowds for votes? How has this culture, alongside with the continuing struggling for civil rights, aided the African-American community in terms of the government focusing on their demographic?
This section contains 1,553 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)