Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
2. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
3. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
4. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
5. In what way did the passengers on Thompson's plane assure their own entry?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss these governmental and political concepts Thompson writes about in the following format:
Part 1) The voting demographic.
Part 2) The pendulum swing of politics.
Part 3) The frequent meet-and-greets with the constituents.
Part 4) Honesty and dishonesty.
Part 5) Speech writers.
Part 6) Pitching for votes.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Hunter S. Thompson so compelling as a writer and a subject? In what way does he contribute to his own mystique, despite his honesty and brutal looks at himself? In what way does he exemplify his notions of "perception and reality?" Despite his rebellious ways, why is Thompson so readily accepted by the upper class? In what ways does Thompson resent his public image even as he contributes to it?
Essay Topic 3
What is gonzo journalism? What are the main characteristics of this writing style? How is Hunter S. Thompson connected to this type of writing? In what ways is gonzo journalism demonstrated in "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72?" What is the purpose of this style of journalism? How does this style help immerse the reader in the event that is being covered?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)