|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the second location the personnel and press are taken on election day?
2. According to Thompson, who fails to capture the public's attention because the people perceive a discrepancy between his perception and his reality?
3. What does Thompson suggest would have helped McGovern push ahead in the polls during September 1972?
4. What does Thompson allude to having happened with the female reporter who indulged in both marijuana and alcohol?
5. During "September," what does Thompson predict will happen in the election?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Hunter S. Thompson so compelling as a writer and a subject? In what way does he contribute to his own mystique, despite his honesty and brutal looks at himself? In what way does he exemplify his notions of "perception and reality?" Despite his rebellious ways, why is Thompson so readily accepted by the upper class? In what ways does Thompson resent his public image even as he contributes to it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hunter S. Thompson's sense of being socially awkward around the other journalists in the following format:
Part 1) His employer.
Part 2) His drug use.
Part 3) His attire and roots.
Part 4) His attitudes about other politicians.
Part 5) His relationships with the other journalists.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between politicians and journalists in the following format:
Part 1) How journalists feel about politicians.
Part 2) How politicians feel about journalists.
Part 3) Thompson's opinions on politicians.
Part 4) Thompson's encounters with the politicians, especially Nixon.
Part 5) The Zoo Plane and its exclusivity.
Part 6) Thompson and Mankiewicz.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)