|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
2. What is the tone of "October?"
3. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
4. On the louder of the two planes in "November Continued," what does Thompson say is present?
5. After Thompson's encounter with Mankiewicz, how does the author's friend recommend they defuse the situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Thompson's opinions on what Americans want from their leaders?
2. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
3. Describe the confrontation between Mankiewicz and Thompson.
4. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
5. Why did Ron Ziegler become Nixon's PR man?
6. How does Thompson describe the drug use among the other journalists?
7. Why is Thompson in such a dark mood in "October?"
8. During the demonstration of a previous campaign, what did Thompson realize about the police officers on the scene?
9. In what ways is Thompson introducing new readers to the world of politics?
10. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Thompson, why is the Chinese symbolism of Yin/Yang important to the 1972 election? How does he define "yin?" How does he define "yang?" How does he apply these concepts to McGovern and Nixon? In what ways does Thompson note that this is part of the pendulum swing in American politics? How is the public support of Nixon indicative of McGovern's policies in 1972?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are Hunter S. Thompson's encounters throughout this book indicative of the class struggles in America in 1972? How is Thompson regarded in terms of class? How does this affect his writing? In what ways are these class struggles particularly apparent in the meet-and-greets with different constituents?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss these governmental and political concepts Thompson writes about in the following format:
Part 1) The voting demographic.
Part 2) The pendulum swing of politics.
Part 3) The frequent meet-and-greets with the constituents.
Part 4) Honesty and dishonesty.
Part 5) Speech writers.
Part 6) Pitching for votes.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)