Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
2. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
3. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
4. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
5. In what way did the passengers on Thompson's plane assure their own entry?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are Hunter S. Thompson's encounters throughout this book indicative of the class struggles in America in 1972? How is Thompson regarded in terms of class? How does this affect his writing? In what ways are these class struggles particularly apparent in the meet-and-greets with different constituents?
Essay Topic 2
How do the journalists begin to deal with their crippling boredom a few months into the campaign trail? How does this affect the drug use among the writers? Why does Thompson find himself amused and validated by their actions? What is the Zoo Plane? What are some of the activities that happen on the plane? Why do the writers become more hedonistic as the campaign falters? How does this reflect upon the journalists' dedication to their work?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Hunter S. Thompson so compelling as a writer and a subject? In what way does he contribute to his own mystique, despite his honesty and brutal looks at himself? In what way does he exemplify his notions of "perception and reality?" Despite his rebellious ways, why is Thompson so readily accepted by the upper class? In what ways does Thompson resent his public image even as he contributes to it?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)