|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the louder of the two planes in "November Continued," what does Thompson say is present?
2. How does Thompson allow his readers for the Rolling Stone to follow his journey into the political arena?
3. According to the author, which readers does he expect will understand his decision to defuse the situation with Mankiewicz?
4. How does Thompson feel about Nixon's circle of people?
5. In "November Continued," what is the reputation of the journalists Thompson travels with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
2. Describe the activities of election day.
3. How does Eagleton affect McGovern's campaign run?
4. How does Thompson describe the passengers of Dakota Queen II?
5. Why is Thompson in such a dark mood in "October?"
6. Why did Ron Ziegler become Nixon's PR man?
7. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
8. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
9. What does Thompson mean when he says American politics are based on "perception and reality?"
10. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the time of the 1972 presidential election, how have politicians come to regard the youth vote and the African-American vote? How has the Vietnam War and the subsequent culture around it (for example, hippies, Woodstock, politically aware actors, and musicians) forced the politicians to start targeting the younger crowds for votes? How has this culture, alongside with the continuing struggling for civil rights, aided the African-American community in terms of the government focusing on their demographic?
Essay Topic 2
According to Thompson, why is the Chinese symbolism of Yin/Yang important to the 1972 election? How does he define "yin?" How does he define "yang?" How does he apply these concepts to McGovern and Nixon? In what ways does Thompson note that this is part of the pendulum swing in American politics? How is the public support of Nixon indicative of McGovern's policies in 1972?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nixon and McGovern's respective campaigns in the following format:
Part 1) McGovern's policies.
Part 2) The Eagleton situation.
Part 3) Thompson's estimation of Nixon.
Part 4) The "Nazi-moves" of the Nixon administration.
Part 5) Thompson's interview with Nixon.
Part 6) Nixon's defeat of McGovern.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)