Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
2. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
3. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
4. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
5. In what way did the passengers on Thompson's plane assure their own entry?
According to Thompson, why is the Chinese symbolism of Yin/Yang important to the 1972 election? How does he define "yin?" How does he define "yang?" How does he apply these concepts to McGovern and Nixon? In what ways does Thompson note that this is part of the pendulum swing in American politics? How is the public support of Nixon indicative of McGovern's policies in 1972?
How do the journalists begin to deal with their crippling boredom a few months into the campaign trail? How does this affect the drug use among the writers? Why does Thompson find himself amused and validated by their actions? What is the Zoo Plane? What are some of the activities that happen on the plane? Why do the writers become more hedonistic as the campaign falters? How does this reflect upon the journalists' dedication to their work?
Discuss these governmental and political concepts Thompson writes about in the following format:
Part 1) The voting demographic.
Part 2) The pendulum swing of politics.
Part 3) The frequent meet-and-greets with the constituents.
Part 4) Honesty and dishonesty.
Part 5) Speech writers.
Part 6) Pitching for votes.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)