|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What journalistic term does Thompson use to describe Wallace's speeches in "July?"
2. In "June," what is significant about drug use among the journalists?
3. Which demographic does the Democratic party worry about reaching if they do not have a Kennedy?
4. What campaign is Thompson covering in "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72?"
5. Despite, or perhaps, because of Thompson's own preferences, what in his writing identifies him as a trustworthy source of information and editorials?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the different votes Thompson discusses in "January."
2. In "February & March," why is the 1972 Democratic Nomination campaign particularly stressful?
3. How do the factory workers react to Senator McCarthy?
4. In the Introduction, how does Thompson explain his drug use?
5. What are some ways that Thompson organizes this book?
6. How does Thompson describe the feeling for a politician when hearing a particular song in the Nebraska primary?
7. How does Thompson use his varied experiences as a writer to draw random connections about the journalists in "June?"
8. How does Thompson discuss the progressively more open drug use amongst the journalists?
9. In what way is Thompson's place in the journalistic world an exercise in class-mixing?
10. In the early days of the campaign trail, how does Thompson's demeanor and attire compare to the other journalists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about Jerry Rubin boarding Muskie's train with Thompson's credentials? How does Rubin behave and how does this reflect on Thompson? Despite his actions, what valid points do Rubin and his colleague bring up during Muskie's final speech? How does this ultimately discredit Muskie as a presidential candidate? What is the purpose of the promise of bringing ten thousand naked hippies to peacefully protest and demonstrate during a convention in Florida? How is this indicative of the changing political climate in America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between politicians and journalists in the following format:
Part 1) How journalists feel about politicians.
Part 2) How politicians feel about journalists.
Part 3) Thompson's opinions on politicians.
Part 4) Thompson's encounters with the politicians, especially Nixon.
Part 5) The Zoo Plane and its exclusivity.
Part 6) Thompson and Mankiewicz.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How do the journalists begin to deal with their crippling boredom a few months into the campaign trail? How does this affect the drug use among the writers? Why does Thompson find himself amused and validated by their actions? What is the Zoo Plane? What are some of the activities that happen on the plane? Why do the writers become more hedonistic as the campaign falters? How does this reflect upon the journalists' dedication to their work?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)