|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Thompson, because of their origins, who do Southerners respect?
2. For what is Jerry Rubin known?
3. According to Thompson, what group was responsible for settling the South?
4. At the end of "June," why does Thompson compare the journalists to a particularly notorious group?
5. In "January," whose vote is discussed alongside the generational voting habits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thompson believe about Southern attitudes, particularly in regards to politicians?
2. How does Jerry Rubin tarnish Thompson's reputation?
3. Describe Thompson's initial relationships with the other writers.
4. Describe the different votes Thompson discusses in "January."
5. Why do the consultants on the campaign think they need to involve Ted Kennedy?
6. In "January, February, into March," how does Thompson try to fit in with the politicians and press?
7. How do Thompson and the other journalists deal with their boredom in "May"?
8. In "February & March," why is the 1972 Democratic Nomination campaign particularly stressful?
9. What is significant about Hunter S. Thompson's description of himself?
10. What is gonzo journalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Eagleton undermine McGovern on the campaign trail? Why is it significant that he repressed his medical records? How did this make McGovern look to the public and why? How did McGovern's failure to act quickly ruin some of his credibility? How does Thompson note that all of these problems could have been avoided with honesty from the beginning? In what ways does this situation mark the end of McGovern's presidential aspirations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difficulties faced by the Democratic party in this campaign in the following format:
Part 1) Vietnam War.
Part 2) John F. and Robert Kennedy.
Part 3) Eagleton's mental health history and resignation.
Part 4) Nixon's inner circle of people.
Part 5) The lack of unity amongst the candidates.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How do the journalists begin to deal with their crippling boredom a few months into the campaign trail? How does this affect the drug use among the writers? Why does Thompson find himself amused and validated by their actions? What is the Zoo Plane? What are some of the activities that happen on the plane? Why do the writers become more hedonistic as the campaign falters? How does this reflect upon the journalists' dedication to their work?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)