|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author posit that politicians dismiss a certain type of vote in "January"?
2. According to Thompson, what group was responsible for settling the South?
3. In this book, what is used to separate groups of paragraphs?
4. What is one of the reasons Thompson is so famous?
5. Why is Thompson angry during "June?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are some of the places the campaign visits in "May" and why?
2. Why does Thompson encounter difficulty in becoming an official member of the press for the federal government?
3. What is significant about Hunter S. Thompson's description of himself?
4. Describe the relationship between journalists and politicians.
5. What is gonzo journalism?
6. How does Jerry Rubin tarnish Thompson's reputation?
7. What is significant about Eagleton's hiding his battles with depression?
8. How does Thompson describe the feeling for a politician when hearing a particular song in the Nebraska primary?
9. In "February & March," why is the 1972 Democratic Nomination campaign particularly stressful?
10. In "June," what does Thompson say about lifting material from his past work to incorporate into his newer work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Dakota Queen II and the Zoo Plane. How do the differences between the atmospheres of these two airplanes indicate that the end of the campaign is near? In what ways do their atmospheres signify the general mood of the campaign trail? Why do the journalists indulge as much as they do on the Zoo Plane? Why are all political personnel barred from flying on the Zoo Plane?
Essay Topic 2
How did Eagleton undermine McGovern on the campaign trail? Why is it significant that he repressed his medical records? How did this make McGovern look to the public and why? How did McGovern's failure to act quickly ruin some of his credibility? How does Thompson note that all of these problems could have been avoided with honesty from the beginning? In what ways does this situation mark the end of McGovern's presidential aspirations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between politicians and journalists in the following format:
Part 1) How journalists feel about politicians.
Part 2) How politicians feel about journalists.
Part 3) Thompson's opinions on politicians.
Part 4) Thompson's encounters with the politicians, especially Nixon.
Part 5) The Zoo Plane and its exclusivity.
Part 6) Thompson and Mankiewicz.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)