|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Thompson, in "Dark Interludes," what does McGovern do that shows his prowess as a politician?
2. What writer's problem does Thompson discuss in "June"?
3. In "January, February, into March," what is the reason Thompson makes several people angry with him?
4. Which Kennedy does the Democratic party consider nominating?
5. After learning the mechanics of the campaign trail, how does Thompson find his travels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
2. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
3. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
4. Describe the confrontation between Mankiewicz and Thompson.
5. Why did Ron Ziegler become Nixon's PR man?
6. What are some of the behaviors exhibited by the journalists on the Zoo Plane?
7. What are some characteristics of Thompson's writing?
8. In the early days of the campaign trail, how does Thompson's demeanor and attire compare to the other journalists?
9. Why does Thompson abruptly switch to ranting about sports at the end of this book?
10. How does Thompson describe the varying roles of and attitudes toward professional speech writers?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hunter S. Thompson's sense of being socially awkward around the other journalists in the following format:
Part 1) His employer.
Part 2) His drug use.
Part 3) His attire and roots.
Part 4) His attitudes about other politicians.
Part 5) His relationships with the other journalists.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
According to Thompson, why is the Chinese symbolism of Yin/Yang important to the 1972 election? How does he define "yin?" How does he define "yang?" How does he apply these concepts to McGovern and Nixon? In what ways does Thompson note that this is part of the pendulum swing in American politics? How is the public support of Nixon indicative of McGovern's policies in 1972?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difficulties faced by the Democratic party in this campaign in the following format:
Part 1) Vietnam War.
Part 2) John F. and Robert Kennedy.
Part 3) Eagleton's mental health history and resignation.
Part 4) Nixon's inner circle of people.
Part 5) The lack of unity amongst the candidates.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 2,343 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)