|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Thompson's anecdote, in "February & March," where does McCarthy go to gain favor with the working class?
2. According to Thompson, in "January," who beat Johnson in New Hampshire?
3. What reason does Thompson posit that makes the campaign he is covering particularly difficult for all participants?
4. According to Thompson, in "Dark Interludes," what does McGovern do that shows his prowess as a politician?
5. What is one of the reasons Thompson is so famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
2. What are Thompson's opinions on what Americans want from their leaders?
3. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
4. Why is Thompson the "rock-n-roll emissary" for politics?
5. How does Thompson describe the varying roles of and attitudes toward professional speech writers?
6. Why did Ron Ziegler become Nixon's PR man?
7. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
8. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon?
9. During the demonstration of a previous campaign, what did Thompson realize about the police officers on the scene?
10. In "June," what does Thompson say about lifting material from his past work to incorporate into his newer work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is gonzo journalism? What are the main characteristics of this writing style? How is Hunter S. Thompson connected to this type of writing? In what ways is gonzo journalism demonstrated in "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72?" What is the purpose of this style of journalism? How does this style help immerse the reader in the event that is being covered?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hunter S. Thompson's sense of being socially awkward around the other journalists in the following format:
Part 1) His employer.
Part 2) His drug use.
Part 3) His attire and roots.
Part 4) His attitudes about other politicians.
Part 5) His relationships with the other journalists.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between politicians and journalists in the following format:
Part 1) How journalists feel about politicians.
Part 2) How politicians feel about journalists.
Part 3) Thompson's opinions on politicians.
Part 4) Thompson's encounters with the politicians, especially Nixon.
Part 5) The Zoo Plane and its exclusivity.
Part 6) Thompson and Mankiewicz.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 2,348 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)