|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "The Goose Girl," what happens to the maid-in-waiting?
2. Where did "The Princess on the Glass Hill" ' originate?
3. From what country does the story "A Pretty Girl in the Road" originate?
4. In "The King of Ireland's Son," what game must Art play?
5. What is the true identity of the brother's wife in "The Blacksmith's Wife of Yarrowfoot"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does no one want to be around the bad wife in the story "The Bad Wife"? Who ends up with her at the end?
2. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
3. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
4. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
5. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
6. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
7. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
8. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
9. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
10. How is that everyone has common sense according to "Getting Common Sense"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define protagonist and provide a thorough character analysis of a protagonist of your choosing from Yolen's book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories "Orpheus and Eurydice" and "The Spirit Wife." Include in your essay a discussion of how culture affects the story.
Essay Topic 3
What does the title of the section "The Getting of Wisdom'' mean to you? What do you think this title means to Yolen? Choose one story from this section and explain that story's definition of wisdom.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)