|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of ''The Princess on the Glass Hill"?
2. What does the magician try to create in "The Well-Baked Man"?
3. Where does the husband in "The Bad Wife," put his wife?
4. What does Anansi want to gather up in "Getting Common Sense"?
5. In "Talk" something frightens the men. What frightens them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
2. What happens after the men visit the Chief in "Talk"?
3. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
4. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
5. What does the man find out about the girl he falls in love with in "A Pretty Girl in the Road"?
6. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
7. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
8. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
9. What does the woman in "The Dream House" discover about the house she dream about?
10. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the history of folktales and the oral tradition? Describe why folktales from different countries are sometimes similar. Provide examples from this book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stories "Orpheus and Eurydice" and "The Spirit Wife." Include in your essay a discussion of how culture affects the story.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)