|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman whom the man discovers in "The Seal's Skin" doing?
2. Where does the husband in "The Bad Wife," put his wife?
3. What is Bridget supposed to find at the castle in 'Bridget and the Lurikeen'?
4. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," the brother turns into _____________.
5. In "The Blacksmith's Wife of Yarrowfoot," what is nailed to the brother's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
2. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
3. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
4. What happens after the men visit the Chief in "Talk"?
5. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
6. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
7. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
8. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
9. What does the man find out about the girl he falls in love with in "A Pretty Girl in the Road"?
10. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the creation tale of "Sedna" with another creation folktale.
Essay Topic 2
Provide an in depth analysis of '"he Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" including plot, subplot (if there is one), setting, character analysis, and any symbolism in the folktale.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a complex character interaction in Yolen's collection of folktales. Analyze the relationship between the two characters. Also discuss how the relationship enhances the plot.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)