|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Falsehood accuses the boy at the hotel of ___________.
2. What happens to Eurydice after his marriage in "Orpheus and Eurydice"?
3. Who is the main character of ''The Princess on the Glass Hill"?
4. What creature must Art beat in "The King of Ireland's Son"?
5. At the end of "Bridget and the Lurikeen," how is Bridget tricked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
2. Describe the game of hide and seek that Art plays with the Giant in the story "The King of Ireland's Son."
3. Why does the man have only three days to live according to "Then the Merman Laughed"?
4. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
5. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
6. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
7. What does the man find out about the girl he falls in love with in "A Pretty Girl in the Road"?
8. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
9. Why does the girl weep in "The Seal's Skin"?
10. Why does no one want to be around the bad wife in the story "The Bad Wife"? Who ends up with her at the end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the conflict of good versus evil in the story "Wicked John and the Devil." Contrast this story with one other folktale of your choice.
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the section "The Getting of Wisdom'' mean to you? What do you think this title means to Yolen? Choose one story from this section and explain that story's definition of wisdom.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term prophecy and how it relates to "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)