|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bridget supposed to find at the castle in 'Bridget and the Lurikeen'?
2. Where does the man go to find his wife in "The Spirit Wife"?
3. What happens to Eurydice after his marriage in "Orpheus and Eurydice"?
4. In "The Swan-Maiden," what happens when the man returns the stolen item to the swan?
5. In "Talk" something frightens the men. What frightens them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
2. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
3. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
4. How does the doll in "Visilisa the Beautiful" help Visilisa?
5. Why does the man have only three days to live according to "Then the Merman Laughed"?
6. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
7. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
8. Why does the girl weep in "The Seal's Skin"?
9. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
10. What does the boy learn from the doctor in "The Doctor and His Pupil"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the conflict of good versus evil in the story "Wicked John and the Devil." Contrast this story with one other folktale of your choice.
Essay Topic 2
Define protagonist and provide a thorough character analysis of a protagonist of your choosing from Yolen's book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the moral about life and death presented in "Jump Into My Sack." Compare this with one other story in the section "Death and the World's End."
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)