|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the magician try to create in "The Well-Baked Man"?
2. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," the brother turns into _____________.
3. In "The Spirit Wife," why can the man not touch his wife?
4. What is the origin of the story "The Finn Messenger"?
5. What punishment is given to the boy in "Truth and Falsehood"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
2. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
3. Describe the game of hide and seek that Art plays with the Giant in the story "The King of Ireland's Son."
4. How is that everyone has common sense according to "Getting Common Sense"?
5. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
6. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
7. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
8. Why does the girl weep in "The Seal's Skin"?
9. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
10. How does the doll in "Visilisa the Beautiful" help Visilisa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the history of folktales and the oral tradition? Describe why folktales from different countries are sometimes similar. Provide examples from this book.
Essay Topic 2
Occasionally, the folktales in Yolen's collection contain a moral or lesson. Choose a folktale and discuss what the moral is and how it is effectively demonstrated in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)