|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country does the story "The Peasant and the Devil" originate?
2. What does the man and his children throw into the sea at the end of "The Seal's Skin"?
3. What is the origin of the story "The Finn Messenger"?
4. In "Wicked John and the Devil" what does the devil give to John?
5. What is the true identity of the brother's wife in "The Blacksmith's Wife of Yarrowfoot"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does no one want to be around the bad wife in the story "The Bad Wife"? Who ends up with her at the end?
2. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
3. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
4. What does the man find out about the girl he falls in love with in "A Pretty Girl in the Road"?
5. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
6. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
7. Why does the man have only three days to live according to "Then the Merman Laughed"?
8. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
9. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
10. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the title of the section "The Getting of Wisdom'' mean to you? What do you think this title means to Yolen? Choose one story from this section and explain that story's definition of wisdom.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the folktales in Yolen's book and address the subject of voice. Describe which person the folktale is written in and who is the main voice of the story.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting affect the plot of a folktale? Choose one folktale and discuss its setting and how the setting relates to the plot.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)