|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens the girl at the start of "The Goose Girl"?
2. At the end of "The Goose Girl," what happens to the maid-in-waiting?
3. Who is the main character of ''The Princess on the Glass Hill"?
4. What does the princess promise to give birth to in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
5. Whom does the man stop to help in "Wicked John and the Devil"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
2. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
3. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
4. How is that everyone has common sense according to "Getting Common Sense"?
5. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
6. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
7. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
8. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
9. Describe the game of hide and seek that Art plays with the Giant in the story "The King of Ireland's Son."
10. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi." Explain the conflict in context to the plot and to the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
Essay Topic 3
Occasionally, the folktales in Yolen's collection contain a moral or lesson. Choose a folktale and discuss what the moral is and how it is effectively demonstrated in the plot.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)