|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "The Promises of the Three Sisters," what happens to the jealous sisters?
2. What does the princess promise to give birth to in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
3. In "It Could Always Be Worse," what does the man complain about to his Rabbi?
4. How does the wife treat her husband in "The Bad Wife"?
5. In "Rich Man, Poor Man," what does the rich man do to the poor man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide a response to the following question citing examples from Yolen's book to prove your argument: Can prophecies be altered?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the treatment of women in "Mr. Fox" and another tale of your choosing. Explain how the portrayal of women in that specific tale reflects the culture of the society it came from.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the characters not having specific names? Why does this appear to be the trend in folktales? Provide two examples and provide a plot summary and how the lack of names contributes to the story.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)