|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Orpheus travel to sing songs of Eurydice?
2. Why can't the son in "Lost Horse" go to war?
3. In "The Swan-Maiden," what happens when the man returns the stolen item to the swan?
4. What does the witch tie to the sister's neck in "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka"?
5. The young man loses his prize horse in "Lost Horse." What does does his father think about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the characters not having specific names? Why does this appear to be the trend in folktales? Provide two examples and provide a plot summary and how the lack of names contributes to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Define the conflict of good versus evil in the story "Wicked John and the Devil." Contrast this story with one other folktale of your choice.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)