|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor in "The Doctor and His Pupil," challenge his student to do?
2. "The King of Ireland's Son'' is about _____________.
3. In "Talk" something frightens the men. What frightens them?
4. Where does the husband in "The Bad Wife," put his wife?
5. Which member of the family in "A Pretty Girl in the Road" died previously?
Essay Topic 1
What does the title of the section "The Getting of Wisdom'' mean to you? What do you think this title means to Yolen? Choose one story from this section and explain that story's definition of wisdom.
Essay Topic 2
Define the conflict of good versus evil in the story "Wicked John and the Devil." Contrast this story with one other folktale of your choice.
Essay Topic 3
What is the history of folktales and the oral tradition? Describe why folktales from different countries are sometimes similar. Provide examples from this book.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)