|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creature must Art beat in "The King of Ireland's Son"?
2. What pact do the two friends make in "One Night in Paradise"?
3. How is the first brother rewarded when he gives the women a line to their song in "The Two Hunchbacks"?
4. What punishment is given to the boy in "Truth and Falsehood"?
5. In "The Finn Messenger," what condition is the wife in when her husband leaves for sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is that everyone has common sense according to "Getting Common Sense"?
2. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
3. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
4. What does the man find out about the girl he falls in love with in "A Pretty Girl in the Road"?
5. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
6. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
7. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
8. Describe the game of hide and seek that Art plays with the Giant in the story "The King of Ireland's Son."
9. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
10. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the title of the section "The Getting of Wisdom'' mean to you? What do you think this title means to Yolen? Choose one story from this section and explain that story's definition of wisdom.
Essay Topic 2
Provide an in depth analysis of '"he Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" including plot, subplot (if there is one), setting, character analysis, and any symbolism in the folktale.
Essay Topic 3
What is the history of folktales and the oral tradition? Describe why folktales from different countries are sometimes similar. Provide examples from this book.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)