|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Wicked John and the Devil" what does the devil give to John?
2. In "The Doctor and His Pupil," what must the boy dust?
3. In "The Lawyer and the Devil," why does the boy give his soul to the devil?
4. In "The Peasant and the Devil," what do the devil and peasant agree to split?
5. Where does Orpheus travel to sing songs of Eurydice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman in "The Dream House" discover about the house she dream about?
2. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
3. How does the doll in "Visilisa the Beautiful" help Visilisa?
4. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
5. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
6. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
7. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
8. How does the lurikeen trick the girl in "Bridget and the Lurikeen"?
9. Describe the game of hide and seek that Art plays with the Giant in the story "The King of Ireland's Son."
10. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories "Orpheus and Eurydice" and "The Spirit Wife." Include in your essay a discussion of how culture affects the story.
Essay Topic 2
Provide a response to the following question citing examples from Yolen's book to prove your argument: Can prophecies be altered?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the reasoning for Yolen's choice to organize her book. What is the structural benefit of the organization? Is it cohesive?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)