|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Rich Man, Poor Man," what does the rich man do to the poor man?
2. What is the woman whom the man discovers in "The Seal's Skin" doing?
3. At the end of "One Night in Paradise," the friend realizes he's been gone for ____________.
4. In "The Blacksmith's Wife of Yarrowfoot," what is nailed to the brother's wife?
5. With whom does the husband become partners in "The Bad Wife"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is that everyone has common sense according to "Getting Common Sense"?
2. What does the boy learn from the doctor in "The Doctor and His Pupil"?
3. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
4. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
5. Why does the girl weep in "The Seal's Skin"?
6. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
7. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
8. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
9. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
10. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide a response to the following question citing examples from Yolen's book to prove your argument: Can prophecies be altered?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the creation tale of "Sedna" with another creation folktale.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting affect the plot of a folktale? Choose one folktale and discuss its setting and how the setting relates to the plot.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)