|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Eurydice after his marriage in "Orpheus and Eurydice"?
2. Where do the husband and wife move to in "The Dream House"?
3. At the end of "One Night in Paradise," the friend realizes he's been gone for ____________.
4. What does the princess promise to give birth to in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
5. What does Anansi want to gather up in "Getting Common Sense"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman in "The Dream House" discover about the house she dream about?
2. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
3. Why does the man have only three days to live according to "Then the Merman Laughed"?
4. How does the doll in "Visilisa the Beautiful" help Visilisa?
5. Why does no one want to be around the bad wife in the story "The Bad Wife"? Who ends up with her at the end?
6. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
7. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
8. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
9. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
10. How is that everyone has common sense according to "Getting Common Sense"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the creation tale of "Sedna" with another creation folktale.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the folktales in Yolen's book and address the subject of voice. Describe which person the folktale is written in and who is the main voice of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the moral about life and death presented in "Jump Into My Sack." Compare this with one other story in the section "Death and the World's End."
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)