|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "The Dream House," what do the husband and wife discover?
2. At the end of "The Goose Girl," what happens to the maid-in-waiting?
3. How long does the fisherman have to live in "Then the Merman Laughed"?
4. In "The Doctor and His Pupil," what must the boy dust?
5. What does the man and his children throw into the sea at the end of "The Seal's Skin"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
2. What does the man find out about the girl he falls in love with in "A Pretty Girl in the Road"?
3. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
4. How does the doll in "Visilisa the Beautiful" help Visilisa?
5. Why does no one want to be around the bad wife in the story "The Bad Wife"? Who ends up with her at the end?
6. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
7. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
8. What happens after the men visit the Chief in "Talk"?
9. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
10. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the title of the section "The Getting of Wisdom'' mean to you? What do you think this title means to Yolen? Choose one story from this section and explain that story's definition of wisdom.
Essay Topic 2
Define the term prophecy and how it relates to "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
Essay Topic 3
Provide an in depth analysis of '"he Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" including plot, subplot (if there is one), setting, character analysis, and any symbolism in the folktale.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)