|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes a joke to the woman in "The Dream House"?
2. In "Getting Common Sense," Anansi wants to charge people for ___________.
3. Falsehood accuses the boy at the hotel of ___________.
4. In "Wicked John and the Devil" what does the devil give to John?
5. Who threatens the girl at the start of "The Goose Girl"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
2. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
3. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
4. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
5. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
6. Why does the man have only three days to live according to "Then the Merman Laughed"?
7. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
8. What happens after the men visit the Chief in "Talk"?
9. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
10. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define protagonist and provide a thorough character analysis of a protagonist of your choosing from Yolen's book.
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the section "The Getting of Wisdom'' mean to you? What do you think this title means to Yolen? Choose one story from this section and explain that story's definition of wisdom.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi." Explain the conflict in context to the plot and to the characters.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)