|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the family in "A Pretty Girl in the Road" died previously?
2. In "The Blacksmith's Wife of Yarrowfoot," what is nailed to the brother's wife?
3. How long does the fisherman have to live in "Then the Merman Laughed"?
4. Why can't the son in "Lost Horse" go to war?
5. At the end of "One Night in Paradise," the friend realizes he's been gone for ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the game of hide and seek that Art plays with the Giant in the story "The King of Ireland's Son."
2. Why does the girl weep in "The Seal's Skin"?
3. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
4. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
5. What happens after the men visit the Chief in "Talk"?
6. How does the doll in "Visilisa the Beautiful" help Visilisa?
7. What does the boy learn from the doctor in "The Doctor and His Pupil"?
8. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
9. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
10. Why does no one want to be around the bad wife in the story "The Bad Wife"? Who ends up with her at the end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the moral about life and death presented in "Jump Into My Sack." Compare this with one other story in the section "Death and the World's End."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the creation tale of "Sedna" with another creation folktale.
Essay Topic 3
Each folktale in Yolen's collection has a title. Discuss the significance of ''Wagging My Tail in the Mud." Include a brief summary of the story and how the title relates to the plot.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)