|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Peasant and the Devil," what do the devil and peasant agree to split?
2. Whom does the man stop to help in "Wicked John and the Devil"?
3. What does the witch tie to the sister's neck in "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka"?
4. Why can't the son in "Lost Horse" go to war?
5. At the end of "Bridget and the Lurikeen," how is Bridget tricked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
2. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
3. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
4. What does the man find out about the girl he falls in love with in "A Pretty Girl in the Road"?
5. Describe the game of hide and seek that Art plays with the Giant in the story "The King of Ireland's Son."
6. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
7. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
8. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
9. What happens after the men visit the Chief in "Talk"?
10. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the moral about life and death presented in "Jump Into My Sack." Compare this with one other story in the section "Death and the World's End."
Essay Topic 2
Provide an in depth analysis of '"he Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" including plot, subplot (if there is one), setting, character analysis, and any symbolism in the folktale.
Essay Topic 3
Define protagonist and provide a thorough character analysis of a protagonist of your choosing from Yolen's book.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)