|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Talk" something frightens the men. What frightens them?
2. What is the true identity of the brother's wife in "The Blacksmith's Wife of Yarrowfoot"?
3. What does Visilisa's mother give to her in 'Visilisa the Beautiful' ?
4. Where does Anansi hide his treasures in "Getting Common Sense"?
5. What does the devil ask Katcha to do at the start of "Katcha and the Devil"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
2. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
3. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
4. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
5. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
6. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
7. Why does the girl weep in "The Seal's Skin"?
8. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
9. What does the woman in "The Dream House" discover about the house she dream about?
10. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide a response to the following question citing examples from Yolen's book to prove your argument: Can prophecies be altered?
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the section "The Getting of Wisdom'' mean to you? What do you think this title means to Yolen? Choose one story from this section and explain that story's definition of wisdom.
Essay Topic 3
What is the history of folktales and the oral tradition? Describe why folktales from different countries are sometimes similar. Provide examples from this book.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)