|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country did the story "The Seal's Skin" originate?
2. In "The Swan-Maiden," what happens when the man returns the stolen item to the swan?
3. Where does the husband in "The Bad Wife," put his wife?
4. Where does Anansi hide his treasures in "Getting Common Sense"?
5. How is the first brother rewarded when he gives the women a line to their song in "The Two Hunchbacks"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does no one want to be around the bad wife in the story "The Bad Wife"? Who ends up with her at the end?
2. Why does the girl weep in "The Seal's Skin"?
3. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
4. What does the boy learn from the doctor in "The Doctor and His Pupil"?
5. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
6. How does the lurikeen trick the girl in "Bridget and the Lurikeen"?
7. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
8. How is that everyone has common sense according to "Getting Common Sense"?
9. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
10. What does the woman in "The Dream House" discover about the house she dream about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide an in depth analysis of '"he Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" including plot, subplot (if there is one), setting, character analysis, and any symbolism in the folktale.
Essay Topic 2
Define the term prophecy and how it relates to "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
Essay Topic 3
Provide a response to the following question citing examples from Yolen's book to prove your argument: Can prophecies be altered?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)