|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack causes a deaf girl to laugh in "Lazy Jack." What is his reward?
2. In "The Hodja and the Cauldron," why does Hodja say he can't return the original item?
3. What transports Brian to a far away land in "The Man Who Had No Story"?
4. How does the woman in "The Brewery of Eggshells," discover the child is not hers?
5. What is "The Fly" about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do the three brothers try to trick in "The Tall Tales" and why? What becomes of the brothers?
2. Whom does the imp possess in "The Brewery of Eggshells"?
3. How does the "The Man Who Had No Story" get a story?
4. In the story "The Waiting Maid's Parrot," how does the young boy find the buried girl?
5. In "Glooscap and the Baby" how does the baby defeat Glooscap?
6. What does the sky god in "How Spider Obtained the Sky God's Stories" want in exchange for stories?
7. Why does the Hodja walk out of the service the first time in "Nars-ed-Din Hodja in the Pulpit "?
8. What makes the poet in "Wagging My Tail in the Mud" truly happy?
9. How does the hare anger the other animals in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
10. Why did the parson trade clothes with the sexton in "The Parson and the Sexton"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the conflict of good versus evil in the story "Wicked John and the Devil." Contrast this story with one other folktale of your choice.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasoning for Yolen's choice to organize her book. What is the structural benefit of the organization? Is it cohesive?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi." Explain the conflict in context to the plot and to the characters.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)