|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Prayer that was Answered," what happens to the dishonest man?
2. What happens to the maiden in "The Waiting Maid's Parrot"?
3. Why is Glooscap sad in "Glooscap and the Baby"?
4. Where did "The Man Who Had No Story" originate?
5. Where does Quevedo grab the king in "Quevedo and the King"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "The Waiting Maid's Parrot," how does the young boy find the buried girl?
2. Why is the king in "Quevedo and the King" mad at Quevedo?
3. How are the sea creatures created in "Sedna"?
4. Who do the three brothers try to trick in "The Tall Tales" and why? What becomes of the brothers?
5. In "Glooscap and the Baby" how does the baby defeat Glooscap?
6. Why does the Hodja walk out of the service the first time in "Nars-ed-Din Hodja in the Pulpit "?
7. What did the infant child in "The Two Pickpockets" steal from the midwife?
8. Why does "The King's Favorite" fall from grace?
9. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
10. Why does the rich man in "Lazy Jack" give his daughter to Jack in marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a complex character interaction in Yolen's collection of folktales. Analyze the relationship between the two characters. Also discuss how the relationship enhances the plot.
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the section "The Getting of Wisdom'' mean to you? What do you think this title means to Yolen? Choose one story from this section and explain that story's definition of wisdom.
Essay Topic 3
What is the history of folktales and the oral tradition? Describe why folktales from different countries are sometimes similar. Provide examples from this book.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)