|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi"originate?
2. What does the woman pray for in "The Prayer that was Answered"?
3. In "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer," who is jealous of the king?
4. What does Ansai ask people to count in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi"?
5. What must the servant in "Helping to Lie'" help his master do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the girl and her family crying in "The Three Sillies"?
2. Describe how men and women came together in "How Men and Women Got Together."
3. Why is no one in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" allowed to say the word five?
4. What does the servant tell his lord at the end of "Helping to Lie"?
5. Why is the king in "Quevedo and the King" mad at Quevedo?
6. How does the guard lie to the king in the story "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer"?
7. How does the dragon in the story "The Longwitton Dragon" protect himself?
8. Describe the prophecy in "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
9. What does the man put in his trunk in "The Prayer that was Answered"? What does he discover in his trunk when he arrives home?
10. What did the infant child in "The Two Pickpockets" steal from the midwife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Occasionally, the folktales in Yolen's collection contain a moral or lesson. Choose a folktale and discuss what the moral is and how it is effectively demonstrated in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Define the term prophecy and how it relates to "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the treatment of women in "Mr. Fox" and another tale of your choosing. Explain how the portrayal of women in that specific tale reflects the culture of the society it came from.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)