|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did "The Man Who Had No Story" originate?
2. In "Merry Prank," the king wants to see if ________is more clever then his jesters.
3. Where did "The Parson and the Sexton" originate?
4. What does the boy in "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" carry with him on his travels?
5. What does Hodja borrow in "The Hodja and the Cauldron"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does "The King's Favorite" fall from grace?
2. Why does the Hodja walk out of the service the first time in "Nars-ed-Din Hodja in the Pulpit "?
3. What does the town do in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent" to repay the girl for slaying the serpent?
4. How does the guard lie to the king in the story "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer"?
5. Describe the prophecy in "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
6. Describe how men and women came together in "How Men and Women Got Together."
7. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
8. How does the "The Man Who Had No Story" get a story?
9. Why is the king in "Quevedo and the King" mad at Quevedo?
10. Who marries the princess in "Crack and Crook"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide a response to the following question citing examples from Yolen's book to prove your argument: Can prophecies be altered?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the creation tale of "Sedna" with another creation folktale.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)