|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" what other role does the queen play?
2. What is wrong with the handsome suitor in "Mr. Fox"?
3. In "The Hodja and the Cauldron," why does Hodja say he can't return the original item?
4. In "The Drovers Who Lost Their Feet," the men are confused about __________.
5. What does Ansai ask people to count in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the hare anger the other animals in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
2. How does the "The Man Who Had No Story" get a story?
3. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
4. What does the town do in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent" to repay the girl for slaying the serpent?
5. Describe how men and women came together in "How Men and Women Got Together."
6. What is wrong with Mr. Fox in the story "Mr. Fox"?
7. In the story "The Waiting Maid's Parrot," how does the young boy find the buried girl?
8. Describe the prophecy in "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
9. How does the guard lie to the king in the story "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer"?
10. What does the servant tell his lord at the end of "Helping to Lie"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define protagonist and provide a thorough character analysis of a protagonist of your choosing from Yolen's book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the characters not having specific names? Why does this appear to be the trend in folktales? Provide two examples and provide a plot summary and how the lack of names contributes to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Provide a response to the following question citing examples from Yolen's book to prove your argument: Can prophecies be altered?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)