|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Catherine, Sly Country Lass," how does Catherine trick the king?
2. What does Ansai ask people to count in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi"?
3. How many tribes exist at the start of "How Men and Women Got Together"?
4. Where does Quevedo grab the king in "Quevedo and the King"?
5. What is the king trying to decide in "The White Cat"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the young boy trick the king in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
2. How are the sea creatures created in "Sedna"?
3. Why does the rich man in "Lazy Jack" give his daughter to Jack in marriage?
4. Describe how men and women came together in "How Men and Women Got Together."
5. Why do the townspeople in "Chelm Justice" not want to hang the shoe mender?
6. How does the hare anger the other animals in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
7. Into what does the oldest man in "The Seventh Father of the House"' fit?
8. Whom does the imp possess in "The Brewery of Eggshells"?
9. What does the town do in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent" to repay the girl for slaying the serpent?
10. Why did the parson trade clothes with the sexton in "The Parson and the Sexton"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term prophecy and how it relates to "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the creation tale of "Sedna" with another creation folktale.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)