|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the serpent like to eat in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent"?
2. In "The Tall Tales," whom do the tricksters try to trick?
3. What does the king demand from the boy in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
4. What word is no one allowed to say in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi"?
5. What does Jack carry home in "Lazy Jack"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does the imp possess in "The Brewery of Eggshells"?
2. Into what does the oldest man in "The Seventh Father of the House"' fit?
3. Why are the girl and her family crying in "The Three Sillies"?
4. How does the hare anger the other animals in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
5. What does the man put in his trunk in "The Prayer that was Answered"? What does he discover in his trunk when he arrives home?
6. How does Catherine trick her husband in "Catherine, Sly Country Lass"?
7. How does the young boy trick the king in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
8. Who do the three brothers try to trick in "The Tall Tales" and why? What becomes of the brothers?
9. What is wrong with Mr. Fox in the story "Mr. Fox"?
10. Describe how men and women came together in "How Men and Women Got Together."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a complex character interaction in Yolen's collection of folktales. Analyze the relationship between the two characters. Also discuss how the relationship enhances the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories "Orpheus and Eurydice" and "The Spirit Wife." Include in your essay a discussion of how culture affects the story.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the folktales in Yolen's book and address the subject of voice. Describe which person the folktale is written in and who is the main voice of the story.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)