|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" what other role does the queen play?
2. Why does the man return to marry the girl at the end of "The Three Sillies"'?
3. In "Catherine, Sly Country Lass," how does Catherine trick the king?
4. What does the servant tell the nobleman at the end of "Helping to Lie"?
5. In "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail," who hides the boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the rich man in "Lazy Jack" give his daughter to Jack in marriage?
2. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
3. What did the infant child in "The Two Pickpockets" steal from the midwife?
4. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
5. Describe how men and women came together in "How Men and Women Got Together."
6. What does the town do in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent" to repay the girl for slaying the serpent?
7. Describe the first 30 years of man and his last 30 years as described in "The Duration of Life."
8. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
9. Why do the townspeople in "Chelm Justice" not want to hang the shoe mender?
10. Why is the king in "Quevedo and the King" mad at Quevedo?
Essay Topic 1
Provide an in depth analysis of '"he Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" including plot, subplot (if there is one), setting, character analysis, and any symbolism in the folktale.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the treatment of women in "Mr. Fox" and another tale of your choosing. Explain how the portrayal of women in that specific tale reflects the culture of the society it came from.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)