|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Longwitton Dragon," why can the knight not slay the dragon?
2. Who comes to the bride's rescue in the story "The Prayer that was Answered"'?
3. In "The Three Sillies," what does the maiden weep over in the basement?
4. What is wrong with the earth in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
5. In "Those Stubborn Souls, the Biellese," what does the man refuse to say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man put in his trunk in "The Prayer that was Answered"? What does he discover in his trunk when he arrives home?
2. What is wrong with Mr. Fox in the story "Mr. Fox"?
3. Why is no one in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" allowed to say the word five?
4. In "Glooscap and the Baby" how does the baby defeat Glooscap?
5. How are the sea creatures created in "Sedna"?
6. Describe how men and women came together in "How Men and Women Got Together."
7. How does the guard lie to the king in the story "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer"?
8. Why does "The King's Favorite" fall from grace?
9. In the story "The Waiting Maid's Parrot," how does the young boy find the buried girl?
10. Why are the girl and her family crying in "The Three Sillies"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the treatment of women in "Mr. Fox" and another tale of your choosing. Explain how the portrayal of women in that specific tale reflects the culture of the society it came from.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasoning for Yolen's choice to organize her book. What is the structural benefit of the organization? Is it cohesive?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term prophecy and how it relates to "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)