|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the girl at the house she visits accidentally in "The Little Old Woman with Five Cows"?
2. Why does the man return to marry the girl at the end of "The Three Sillies"'?
3. What does Jack carry home in "Lazy Jack"?
4. Where does Quevedo grab the king in "Quevedo and the King"?
5. What does the servant tell the nobleman at the end of "Helping to Lie"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the sky god in "How Spider Obtained the Sky God's Stories" want in exchange for stories?
2. How does the guard lie to the king in the story "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer"?
3. How does the young boy trick the king in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
4. Why did the parson trade clothes with the sexton in "The Parson and the Sexton"?
5. Why do the townspeople in "Chelm Justice" not want to hang the shoe mender?
6. Why are the girl and her family crying in "The Three Sillies"?
7. Into what does the oldest man in "The Seventh Father of the House"' fit?
8. In the story "The Waiting Maid's Parrot," how does the young boy find the buried girl?
9. What does the man put in his trunk in "The Prayer that was Answered"? What does he discover in his trunk when he arrives home?
10. Why is no one in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" allowed to say the word five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the characters not having specific names? Why does this appear to be the trend in folktales? Provide two examples and provide a plot summary and how the lack of names contributes to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the moral about life and death presented in "Jump Into My Sack." Compare this with one other story in the section "Death and the World's End."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)