|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contest must suitors enter in "The Ash Lad Who Made the Princess Say You're a Liar!"?
2. At the end of "Quevedo and the King," Quevedo thinks the king is ___________.
3. What is the king trying to decide in "The White Cat"?
4. Where does "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi"originate?
5. What do the pickpockets in "The Two Pickpockets" hope their children become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do the three brothers try to trick in "The Tall Tales" and why? What becomes of the brothers?
2. What does the town do in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent" to repay the girl for slaying the serpent?
3. Why are the girl and her family crying in "The Three Sillies"?
4. What is wrong with Mr. Fox in the story "Mr. Fox"?
5. Why did the parson trade clothes with the sexton in "The Parson and the Sexton"?
6. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
7. Why does "The King's Favorite" fall from grace?
8. Why does the Hodja walk out of the service the first time in "Nars-ed-Din Hodja in the Pulpit "?
9. Describe the prophecy in "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
10. How does the guard lie to the king in the story "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each folktale in Yolen's collection has a title. Discuss the significance of ''Wagging My Tail in the Mud." Include a brief summary of the story and how the title relates to the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Define the conflict of good versus evil in the story "Wicked John and the Devil." Contrast this story with one other folktale of your choice.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting affect the plot of a folktale? Choose one folktale and discuss its setting and how the setting relates to the plot.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)