|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in "The Brewery of Eggshells" when the woman performs the test on her child?
2. What does the king give to the boy in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
3. "How Men and Women Got Together" is about ________________.
4. What is amazing about the well in "The Longwitton Dragon"?
5. In "The King's Favorite," when does the king remember the girl's disobedience?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what does the oldest man in "The Seventh Father of the House"' fit?
2. Whom does the imp possess in "The Brewery of Eggshells"?
3. How does the hare anger the other animals in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
4. What does the servant tell his lord at the end of "Helping to Lie"?
5. What did the infant child in "The Two Pickpockets" steal from the midwife?
6. Why is no one in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" allowed to say the word five?
7. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
8. Why does the Hodja walk out of the service the first time in "Nars-ed-Din Hodja in the Pulpit "?
9. What does the sky god in "How Spider Obtained the Sky God's Stories" want in exchange for stories?
10. How are the sea creatures created in "Sedna"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide an in depth analysis of '"he Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" including plot, subplot (if there is one), setting, character analysis, and any symbolism in the folktale.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasoning for Yolen's choice to organize her book. What is the structural benefit of the organization? Is it cohesive?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a complex character interaction in Yolen's collection of folktales. Analyze the relationship between the two characters. Also discuss how the relationship enhances the plot.
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)