|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Prayer that was Answered," what happens to the dishonest man?
2. What does the owner of the items conclude at the end of "The Hodja and the Cauldron"?
3. What happens in "The Brewery of Eggshells" when the woman performs the test on her child?
4. Where does the man in "The Prayer that was Answered" leave his bride?
5. In "The Ash Lad Who Made the Princess Say You're a Liar!" for whom does the King want to find a spouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the prophecy in "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
2. Why are the girl and her family crying in "The Three Sillies"?
3. How does the guard lie to the king in the story "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer"?
4. Into what does the oldest man in "The Seventh Father of the House"' fit?
5. Why is the king in "Quevedo and the King" mad at Quevedo?
6. Who marries the princess in "Crack and Crook"? Why?
7. Why did the parson trade clothes with the sexton in "The Parson and the Sexton"?
8. Why do the townspeople in "Chelm Justice" not want to hang the shoe mender?
9. How does Catherine trick her husband in "Catherine, Sly Country Lass"?
10. Why is no one in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" allowed to say the word five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the creation tale of "Sedna" with another creation folktale.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi." Explain the conflict in context to the plot and to the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)