Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is amazing about the well in "The Longwitton Dragon"?
2. What do the animals decide to buy in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
3. How does the woman in "The Brewery of Eggshells," discover the child is not hers?
4. In "The King's Favorite," when does the king remember the girl's disobedience?
5. What does Ansai ask people to count in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the girl and her family crying in "The Three Sillies"?
2. What does Goha hope for his wife in "Goha On the Deathbed"?
3. What does the man find out about the girl he falls in love with in "A Pretty Girl in the Road"?
4. Why is no one in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" allowed to say the word five?
5. What happens after the men visit the Chief in "Talk"?
6. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
7. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
8. What did the infant child in "The Two Pickpockets" steal from the midwife?
9. Describe the first 30 years of man and his last 30 years as described in "The Duration of Life."
10. How does Catherine trick her husband in "Catherine, Sly Country Lass"?
Essay Topic 1
Provide an in depth analysis of '"he Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" including plot, subplot (if there is one), setting, character analysis, and any symbolism in the folktale.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the characters not having specific names? Why does this appear to be the trend in folktales? Provide two examples and provide a plot summary and how the lack of names contributes to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Occasionally, the folktales in Yolen's collection contain a moral or lesson. Choose a folktale and discuss what the moral is and how it is effectively demonstrated in the plot.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)