|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hodja tell the owner happened to the second item he borrowed in "The Hodja and the Cauldron"?
2. In "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs," at whose house does the boy sleep?
3. What does Hodja borrow in "The Hodja and the Cauldron"?
4. What does the king give to the boy in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
5. In "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" what other role does the queen play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the young boy trick the king in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
2. How does the "The Man Who Had No Story" get a story?
3. How does the hare anger the other animals in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
4. Describe the prophecy in "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
5. Why did the parson trade clothes with the sexton in "The Parson and the Sexton"?
6. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
7. How are the sea creatures created in "Sedna"?
8. What does the servant tell his lord at the end of "Helping to Lie"?
9. What does the town do in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent" to repay the girl for slaying the serpent?
10. What did the infant child in "The Two Pickpockets" steal from the midwife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a complex character interaction in Yolen's collection of folktales. Analyze the relationship between the two characters. Also discuss how the relationship enhances the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Occasionally, the folktales in Yolen's collection contain a moral or lesson. Choose a folktale and discuss what the moral is and how it is effectively demonstrated in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi." Explain the conflict in context to the plot and to the characters.
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)