|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king send for in "Wagging My Tail in the Mud"?
2. What is amazing about the well in "The Longwitton Dragon"?
3. Where does Quevedo grab the king in "Quevedo and the King"?
4. What is wrong with the couple's marriage in "What Happened to Hadji"?
5. Where did "The Parson and the Sexton" originate?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "Truth and Falsehood," what would Truth rather do then be friends with Falsehood? Why?
2. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
3. Why does the man have only three days to live according to "Then the Merman Laughed"?
4. Describe the first 30 years of man and his last 30 years as described in "The Duration of Life."
5. How is that everyone has common sense according to "Getting Common Sense"?
6. Why is the king in "Quevedo and the King" mad at Quevedo?
7. In "Glooscap and the Baby" how does the baby defeat Glooscap?
8. Whom does the imp possess in "The Brewery of Eggshells"?
9. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
10. How does the doll in "Visilisa the Beautiful" help Visilisa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Occasionally, the folktales in Yolen's collection contain a moral or lesson. Choose a folktale and discuss what the moral is and how it is effectively demonstrated in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stories "Orpheus and Eurydice" and "The Spirit Wife." Include in your essay a discussion of how culture affects the story.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)