|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Tall Tales," whom do the tricksters try to trick?
2. In "The King's Favorite," when does the king remember the girl's disobedience?
3. What does the serpent like to eat in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent"?
4. What happens in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" when the forbidden word is spoken?
5. At the end of "Quevedo and the King," Quevedo thinks the king is ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does "The King's Favorite" fall from grace?
2. How does the "The Man Who Had No Story" get a story?
3. In "Glooscap and the Baby" how does the baby defeat Glooscap?
4. Into what does the oldest man in "The Seventh Father of the House"' fit?
5. Why is no one in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" allowed to say the word five?
6. What did the infant child in "The Two Pickpockets" steal from the midwife?
7. How does Catherine trick her husband in "Catherine, Sly Country Lass"?
8. What does the town do in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent" to repay the girl for slaying the serpent?
9. Who marries the princess in "Crack and Crook"? Why?
10. Why did the parson trade clothes with the sexton in "The Parson and the Sexton"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each folktale in Yolen's collection has a title. Discuss the significance of ''Wagging My Tail in the Mud." Include a brief summary of the story and how the title relates to the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Define protagonist and provide a thorough character analysis of a protagonist of your choosing from Yolen's book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the portrayal of the devil in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs" and one other fable that Yolen includes in her collection. Why are these differences significant?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)