|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did "How Spider Obtained the Sky God's Stories" originate?
2. What is "The Fly" about?
3. What does Jack carry home in "Lazy Jack"?
4. Where does "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi"originate?
5. In "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail," who hides the boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the town do in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent" to repay the girl for slaying the serpent?
2. How does the dragon in the story "The Longwitton Dragon" protect himself?
3. Why did the parson trade clothes with the sexton in "The Parson and the Sexton"?
4. Why does "The King's Favorite" fall from grace?
5. In "Glooscap and the Baby" how does the baby defeat Glooscap?
6. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
7. Describe the prophecy in "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail."
8. How does Catherine trick her husband in "Catherine, Sly Country Lass"?
9. Why is the king in "Quevedo and the King" mad at Quevedo?
10. Who do the three brothers try to trick in "The Tall Tales" and why? What becomes of the brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the conflict of good versus evil in the story "Wicked John and the Devil." Contrast this story with one other folktale of your choice.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the characters not having specific names? Why does this appear to be the trend in folktales? Provide two examples and provide a plot summary and how the lack of names contributes to the story.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting affect the plot of a folktale? Choose one folktale and discuss its setting and how the setting relates to the plot.
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)