|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the spider in "How Spider Obtained the Sky God's Stories"?
2. In "Wagging My Tail in the Mud," what animal is happiest wagging it's tail?
3. How does Wasis respond to Glooscoop in "Glooscap and the Baby"?
4. In "The Hodja and the Cauldron," why does Hodja say he can't return the original item?
5. Where did "The King's Favorite" originate?
Short Essay Questions
1. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
2. How are the sea creatures created in "Sedna"?
3. What is wrong with Mr. Fox in the story "Mr. Fox"?
4. How does the young boy trick the king in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
5. Describe how men and women came together in "How Men and Women Got Together."
6. How does the guard lie to the king in the story "The Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer"?
7. What does the servant tell his lord at the end of "Helping to Lie"?
8. Why does the Hodja walk out of the service the first time in "Nars-ed-Din Hodja in the Pulpit "?
9. What did the infant child in "The Two Pickpockets" steal from the midwife?
10. How does the dragon in the story "The Longwitton Dragon" protect himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the creation tale of "Sedna" with another creation folktale.
Essay Topic 2
Provide an in depth analysis of '"he Merchant's Daughter and the Slanderer" including plot, subplot (if there is one), setting, character analysis, and any symbolism in the folktale.
Essay Topic 3
Provide a response to the following question citing examples from Yolen's book to prove your argument: Can prophecies be altered?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)