|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the main tricksters in "The Tall Tales"?
2. What does the serpent like to eat in "Li Chi Slays the Serpent"?
3. What is the king forced to do for an eternity at the end of "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
4. What happens in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" when the forbidden word is spoken?
5. What does Hodja tell the owner happened to the second item he borrowed in "The Hodja and the Cauldron"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Hodja and the Cauldron," how does the Hodja manage to keep the cauldron?
2. In the story "The Waiting Maid's Parrot," how does the young boy find the buried girl?
3. What happens after the men visit the Chief in "Talk"?
4. How are the sea creatures created in "Sedna"?
5. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
6. Whom does the imp possess in "The Brewery of Eggshells"?
7. Who begs for more life in the story "The Duration of Life"?
8. Into what does the oldest man in "The Seventh Father of the House"' fit?
9. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
10. Why is the king in "Quevedo and the King" mad at Quevedo?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the moral about life and death presented in "Jump Into My Sack." Compare this with one other story in the section "Death and the World's End."
Essay Topic 2
Define the conflict of good versus evil in the story "Wicked John and the Devil." Contrast this story with one other folktale of your choice.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting affect the plot of a folktale? Choose one folktale and discuss its setting and how the setting relates to the plot.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)