|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the animals decide to buy in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
2. Who tries to marry Sedna?
3. What does Hodja tell the owner happened to the second item he borrowed in "The Hodja and the Cauldron"?
4. What does the woman pray for in "The Prayer that was Answered"?
5. What is the prophecy in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the hare anger the other animals in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
2. Why does "The King's Favorite" fall from grace?
3. In "The Hodja and the Cauldron," how does the Hodja manage to keep the cauldron?
4. Why do the townspeople in "Chelm Justice" not want to hang the shoe mender?
5. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
6. How does the young boy trick the king in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
7. How does Catherine trick her husband in "Catherine, Sly Country Lass"?
8. Into what does the oldest man in "The Seventh Father of the House"' fit?
9. What does the man put in his trunk in "The Prayer that was Answered"? What does he discover in his trunk when he arrives home?
10. What makes the poet in "Wagging My Tail in the Mud" truly happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi." Explain the conflict in context to the plot and to the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a complex character interaction in Yolen's collection of folktales. Analyze the relationship between the two characters. Also discuss how the relationship enhances the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the folktales in Yolen's book and address the subject of voice. Describe which person the folktale is written in and who is the main voice of the story.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)