|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the devil ask Katcha to do at the start of "Katcha and the Devil"?
(a) Be merry.
(b) Read poetry.
2. In "It Could Always Be Worse," what does the man complain about to his Rabbi?
(a) His house.
(b) His wife.
(c) His children.
(d) His father-in-law.
3. What does John wish for in the story "Wicked John and the Devil"?
(a) To be powerful.
(b) To be handsome.
(c) To be wealthy.
(d) To be mean.
4. Why can't the son in "Lost Horse" go to war?
(a) His dad said no.
(b) He broke his hip.
(c) He lost his horse.
(d) He is too young.
5. What creature must Art beat in "The King of Ireland's Son"?
(a) A unicorn.
(b) A witch.
(c) A giant.
(d) A dragon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Visilisa's mother give to her in 'Visilisa the Beautiful' ?
2. In "Wicked John and the Devil" what does the devil give to John?
3. What does the Rabbi in "It Could Always Be Worse" tell the men to bring into his home?
4. The young man loses his prize horse in "Lost Horse." What does does his father think about this?
5. What does the poor man want to smell in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy learn from the doctor in "The Doctor and His Pupil"?
2. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
3. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
4. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
5. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
6. What does the woman in "The Dream House" discover about the house she dream about?
7. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
8. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
9. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
10. Describe the game of hide and seek that Art plays with the Giant in the story "The King of Ireland's Son."
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)