|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "Bridget and the Lurikeen," how is Bridget tricked?
(a) Her prince is a frog.
(b) The castle is not on fire.
(c) Her family is not waiting.
(d) The gold is actually silver.
2. What does the devil ask Katcha to do at the start of "Katcha and the Devil"?
(b) Be merry.
(c) Read poetry.
3. In the story "Visilisa the Beautiful," from whom does Visilisa try to escape?
(a) Her stepmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
4. What does John wish for in the story "Wicked John and the Devil"?
(a) To be handsome.
(b) To be powerful.
(c) To be wealthy.
(d) To be mean.
5. How is the first brother rewarded when he gives the women a line to their song in "The Two Hunchbacks"?
(a) They give him gold.
(b) They give him their daughter.
(c) They remove his hump.
(d) The give him magical powers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Blacksmith's Wife of Yarrowfoot," what is nailed to the brother's wife?
2. Where do the husband and wife move to in "The Dream House"?
3. How does Truth look in "Truth and Falsehood"?
4. In "The Lawyer and the Devil," why does the boy give his soul to the devil?
5. In "The Finn Messenger," what condition is the wife in when her husband leaves for sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
2. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
3. Why does no one want to be around the bad wife in the story "The Bad Wife"? Who ends up with her at the end?
4. How is the moral of "It Could Always Be Worse" arrived at?
5. How does the doll in "Visilisa the Beautiful" help Visilisa?
6. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
7. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
8. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
9. How does the lurikeen trick the girl in "Bridget and the Lurikeen"?
10. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)