|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "It Could Always Be Worse," what does the man complain about to his Rabbi?
(a) His house.
(b) His father-in-law.
(c) His children.
(d) His wife.
2. What does the devil ask Katcha to do at the start of "Katcha and the Devil"?
(a) Read poetry.
(c) Be merry.
3. The young man loses his prize horse in "Lost Horse." What does does his father think about this?
(a) It's a blessing.
(b) He's indifferent.
(c) He is very upset.
(d) It was unavoidable.
4. With whom does the husband become partners in "The Bad Wife"?
(a) The devil.
(b) The king.
(d) His wife.
5. How is the first brother rewarded when he gives the women a line to their song in "The Two Hunchbacks"?
(a) They remove his hump.
(b) The give him magical powers.
(c) They give him gold.
(d) They give him their daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "The Dream House," what do the husband and wife discover?
2. What is Bridget supposed to find at the castle in 'Bridget and the Lurikeen'?
3. In "Rich Man, Poor Man," what does the rich man do to the poor man?
4. What punishment is given to the boy in "Truth and Falsehood"?
5. What does the witch tie to the sister's neck in "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rule does Orpheus break in "Orpheus and Eurydice"? What is the result?
2. How does the lurikeen trick the girl in "Bridget and the Lurikeen"?
3. Describe the game of hide and seek that Art plays with the Giant in the story "The King of Ireland's Son."
4. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
5. What is the pact that the two men make in "One Night in Paradise"? Do they follow through on the pact?
6. How did the Pueblo Indians come to be?
7. In "The Goose Girl," who trades places with the princess and why? What becomes of the impostor?
8. Why can the Swan-Maiden not turn back into a swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
9. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," how does the King find his bride?
10. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)