|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poor man want to smell in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
(a) The rich man's food.
2. What does Visilisa's mother give to her in 'Visilisa the Beautiful' ?
(a) A pet fish.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A horse.
(d) A doll.
3. What does the devil ask Katcha to do at the start of "Katcha and the Devil"?
(b) Be merry.
(c) Read poetry.
4. In "The Lawyer and the Devil," why does the boy give his soul to the devil?
(a) For money.
(b) For power.
(c) For an education.
(d) For love.
5. What does the witch tie to the sister's neck in "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka"?
(a) A necktie.
(b) A jewel.
(c) A chain.
(d) A stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Finn Messenger," what condition is the wife in when her husband leaves for sea?
2. With whom does the husband become partners in "The Bad Wife"?
3. What does the doctor in "The Doctor and His Pupil," challenge his student to do?
4. Who frees the devil from Katcha's clutches?
5. At the end of "One Night in Paradise," the friend realizes he's been gone for ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poor man outsmart the rich man in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
2. Why does a light bob between Virgina and Carolina?
3. What is the bargain between the devil and the peasant in "Peasant and the Devil"?
4. How does the doll in "Visilisa the Beautiful" help Visilisa?
5. How does the lawyer outsmart the devil in "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
6. Why are the two sisters jealous of their other sister in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
7. Why does the girl weep in "The Seal's Skin"?
8. What happens after the men visit the Chief in "Talk"?
9. How is that everyone has common sense according to "Getting Common Sense"?
10. Why does the man have only three days to live according to "Then the Merman Laughed"?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)