|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Nars-ed-Din Hodja in the Pulpit," whom does the Hodja address at the beginning of the story?
(a) His students.
(b) His congregation.
(c) The reader.
(d) His parents.
2. What is the occupation of the man who commits a crime in "Chelm Justice"?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A shoe mender.
(c) A banker.
(d) A roofer.
3. Where did "How Spider Obtained the Sky God's Stories" originate?
4. What is the king forced to do for an eternity at the end of "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
(a) Play guitar.
(c) Lift logs.
5. What is the prophecy in "The Birth of Finn MacCumhail"?
(a) The boy will marry the prince.
(b) The girl will marry the princess.
(c) The girl will overthrow the queen.
(d) The boy will overthrow the king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house does the girl in "The Little Old Woman with Five Cows" accidentally visit?
2. In "Catherine, Sly Country Lass," how does Catherine trick the king?
3. What does the owner of the items conclude at the end of "The Hodja and the Cauldron"?
4. Why is Glooscap sad in "Glooscap and the Baby"?
5. What happens to the girl at the house she visits accidentally in "The Little Old Woman with Five Cows"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the dragon in the story "The Longwitton Dragon" protect himself?
2. What is wrong with Mr. Fox in the story "Mr. Fox"?
3. What does the sky god in "How Spider Obtained the Sky God's Stories" want in exchange for stories?
4. Into what does the oldest man in "The Seventh Father of the House"' fit?
5. What makes the poet in "Wagging My Tail in the Mud" truly happy?
6. How are the sea creatures created in "Sedna"?
7. Why does the rich man in "Lazy Jack" give his daughter to Jack in marriage?
8. Why are the girl and her family crying in "The Three Sillies"?
9. Who do the three brothers try to trick in "The Tall Tales" and why? What becomes of the brothers?
10. What does the man put in his trunk in "The Prayer that was Answered"? What does he discover in his trunk when he arrives home?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)