|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did "Catherine, Sly Country Lass" originate?
2. What does the king give to the boy in "The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs"?
(a) A turkey.
(b) A jewel.
(c) A pig's heart.
(d) A letter.
3. From which group of people does the story "Glooscap and the Baby" come?
(b) American Indians.
4. In "Chelm Justice," whom does the judge sentence to die instead of the original criminal?
(a) A roofer.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) His brother.
(d) A shoe mender.
5. What contest must suitors enter in "The Ash Lad Who Made the Princess Say You're a Liar!"?
(a) They must be completely honest.
(b) They must flatter the King's daughter.
(c) They must outlie the King's son.
(d) They must outlie the King's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the pickpockets in "The Two Pickpockets" hope their children become?
2. Why does the king become angry with Catherine in the story "Catherine, Sly Country Lass"?
3. The man in "Those Stubborn Souls, the Biellese," is turned into _______________.
4. What does the man in "The Prayer that was Answered," pretend to be?
5. How is the child in "The Two Pickpockets" deformed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Hodja walk out of the service the first time in "Nars-ed-Din Hodja in the Pulpit "?
2. What does the man put in his trunk in "The Prayer that was Answered"? What does he discover in his trunk when he arrives home?
3. What makes the poet in "Wagging My Tail in the Mud" truly happy?
4. How does the dragon in the story "The Longwitton Dragon" protect himself?
5. The king wants to decide who is more clever in "Merry Prank." Which characters are considered by the king? Who is victorious?
6. Why is no one in "Being Greedy Chokes Anansi" allowed to say the word five?
7. Why are the girl and her family crying in "The Three Sillies"?
8. How does the hare anger the other animals in "Why the Hare Runs Away"?
9. What does the servant tell his lord at the end of "Helping to Lie"?
10. Why is the king in "Quevedo and the King" mad at Quevedo?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)