|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man steal from the swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
(b) Her beak.
(d) A toe nail.
2. Who is the main character of ''The Princess on the Glass Hill"?
3. What does the man and his children throw into the sea at the end of "The Seal's Skin"?
4. How long does the fisherman have to live in "Then the Merman Laughed"?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Five days.
5. What does Visilisa keep in her pocket until she dies?
(a) A doll.
(b) A letter.
(c) A coin.
(d) A jewel.
6. In "Bridget and the Lurikeen," what does Bridget capture?
(a) A gnome.
(b) A fish.
(c) A Lurikeen.
(d) A suitor.
7. In "The Swan-Maiden," what happens when the man returns the stolen item to the swan?
(a) She marries him.
(b) She kills him.
(c) She dies.
(d) She flies away.
8. Where does Orpheus travel to sing songs of Eurydice?
(a) The mountains.
(b) Mount Olympus.
(d) The land of the dead.
9. At the end of "One Night in Paradise," the friend realizes he's been gone for ____________.
(a) 10 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 300 years.
(d) 100 years.
10. In "The Finn Messenger," what condition is the wife in when her husband leaves for sea?
11. Which member of the family in "A Pretty Girl in the Road" died previously?
(a) Their mother.
(b) Their son.
(c) Their father.
(d) Their daughter.
12. What does Anansi want to gather up in "Getting Common Sense"?
(b) Young girls.
(d) Common Sense.
13. What does the lawyer put in his pocket at the end of "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
(a) A wafer.
(b) A coin.
(c) A candle.
(d) A Bible.
14. At the end of "Bridget and the Lurikeen," how is Bridget tricked?
(a) The castle is not on fire.
(b) Her prince is a frog.
(c) Her family is not waiting.
(d) The gold is actually silver.
15. What is Bridget supposed to find at the castle in 'Bridget and the Lurikeen'?
(c) Her parents.
(d) Her prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John wish for in the story "Wicked John and the Devil"?
2. In "It Could Always Be Worse," what does the man complain about to his Rabbi?
3. The young man loses his prize horse in "Lost Horse." What does does his father think about this?
4. Why can't the son in "Lost Horse" go to war?
5. What is the origin of the story "The Finn Messenger"?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)