|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what country does the story "The Peasant and the Devil" originate?
2. In the story "Visilisa the Beautiful," from whom does Visilisa try to escape?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her stepmother.
(d) Her father.
3. "The King of Ireland's Son'' is about _____________.
(a) The oldest prince.
(b) The youngest prince.
(c) The middle-aged prince.
(d) The most handsome prince.
4. In "Wicked John and the Devil" what does the devil give to John?
(a) A child.
(c) A pitchfork.
(d) A piece of coal.
5. At the end of "The Dream House," what do the husband and wife discover?
(a) She haunts the house.
(b) They don't love each other.
(c) They are pregnant.
(d) Texas wasn't what they expected.
6. How is the first brother rewarded when he gives the women a line to their song in "The Two Hunchbacks"?
(a) They give him gold.
(b) The give him magical powers.
(c) They remove his hump.
(d) They give him their daughter.
7. How does the wife treat her husband in "The Bad Wife"?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She does the opposite of what he says.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She beats him.
8. In "The Doctor and His Pupil," what must the boy dust?
(a) A magical carpet.
(b) A set of china.
(c) A magical book.
(d) A magical lamp.
9. What punishment is given to the boy in "Truth and Falsehood"?
(a) He is spanked.
(b) His ears are boxed.
(c) His ears are pulled.
(d) His fingers are broken.
10. At the end of "Bridget and the Lurikeen," how is Bridget tricked?
(a) Her prince is a frog.
(b) Her family is not waiting.
(c) The castle is not on fire.
(d) The gold is actually silver.
11. What does Anansi want to gather up in "Getting Common Sense"?
(a) Common Sense.
(b) Young girls.
12. Where does the man go to find his wife in "The Spirit Wife"?
(a) The spirit world.
(c) The sea.
(d) The mountains.
13. In "It Could Always Be Worse," what does the man complain about to his Rabbi?
(a) His wife.
(b) His father-in-law.
(c) His children.
(d) His house.
14. Who threatens the girl at the start of "The Goose Girl"?
(a) Her maid-in-waiting.
(b) The prince.
(c) The queen.
(d) Her sister.
15. What does Visilisa's mother give to her in 'Visilisa the Beautiful' ?
(a) A horse.
(b) A doll.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A pet fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Lawyer and the Devil," why does the boy give his soul to the devil?
2. In "Getting Common Sense," Anansi wants to charge people for ___________.
3. What happens to Eurydice after his marriage in "Orpheus and Eurydice"?
4. Whom does the man stop to help in "Wicked John and the Devil"?
5. Where does Orpheus travel to sing songs of Eurydice?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)