|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the man go to find his wife in "The Spirit Wife"?
(a) The mountains.
(c) The spirit world.
(d) The sea.
2. In "The Finn Messenger," what condition is the wife in when her husband leaves for sea?
3. What does the poor man want to smell in "Rich Man, Poor Man"?
(d) The rich man's food.
4. At the end of "One Night in Paradise," the friend realizes he's been gone for ____________.
(a) 100 years.
(b) 300 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 10 years.
5. What pact do the two friends make in "One Night in Paradise"?
(a) To marry the other's wife should one die.
(b) To be the other's best man.
(c) To be friends forever.
(d) To be buried together.
6. Whom does the man stop to help in "Wicked John and the Devil"?
(a) The devil.
(b) A mother.
(c) A beggar.
(d) A child.
7. From what country does the story "A Pretty Girl in the Road" originate?
8. What does the lawyer put in his pocket at the end of "The Lawyer and the Devil"?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A coin.
(c) A candle.
(d) A wafer.
9. In "The Lawyer and the Devil," why does the boy give his soul to the devil?
(a) For power.
(b) For money.
(c) For love.
(d) For an education.
10. With whom does the husband become partners in "The Bad Wife"?
(a) The devil.
(b) His wife.
(d) The king.
11. Where does the husband in "The Bad Wife," put his wife?
(a) A hole.
(b) An island.
(c) A jail.
(d) A tower.
12. "The King of Ireland's Son'' is about _____________.
(a) The youngest prince.
(b) The most handsome prince.
(c) The middle-aged prince.
(d) The oldest prince.
13. At the end of "The Promises of the Three Sisters," what happens to the jealous sisters?
(a) They are banished from the kingdom.
(b) They are turned into flowers.
(c) Each one marries a prince.
(d) They are burned.
14. What is the true identity of the brother's wife in "The Blacksmith's Wife of Yarrowfoot"?
(a) A princesss.
(b) A queen.
(c) A witch.
(d) An ogre.
15. What does Visilisa's mother give to her in 'Visilisa the Beautiful' ?
(a) A doll.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A horse.
(d) A pet fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Truth look in "Truth and Falsehood"?
2. At the end of "The Goose Girl," what happens to the maid-in-waiting?
3. At the end of "Bridget and the Lurikeen," how is Bridget tricked?
4. What does the Rabbi in "It Could Always Be Worse" tell the men to bring into his home?
5. How is the first brother rewarded when he gives the women a line to their song in "The Two Hunchbacks"?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)