|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Spirit Wife," why can the man not touch his wife?
(a) He'll die.
(b) A great earthquake will occur.
(c) He will collapse into dust.
(d) She'll die.
2. What does the Rabbi in "It Could Always Be Worse" tell the men to bring into his home?
(b) Happy children.
(c) Farm Animals.
3. How does the wife treat her husband in "The Bad Wife"?
(a) She does the opposite of what he says.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She beats him.
(d) She loves him.
4. In the story "Visilisa the Beautiful," from whom does Visilisa try to escape?
(a) Her stepmother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
5. In "It Could Always Be Worse," what does the man complain about to his Rabbi?
(a) His father-in-law.
(b) His wife.
(c) His children.
(d) His house.
6. What does the witch tie to the sister's neck in "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka"?
(a) A jewel.
(b) A chain.
(c) A stone.
(d) A necktie.
7. What does the devil ask Katcha to do at the start of "Katcha and the Devil"?
(b) Be merry.
(c) Read poetry.
8. From what country does the story "A Pretty Girl in the Road" originate?
9. What does the doctor in "The Doctor and His Pupil," challenge his student to do?
(a) Make a wish.
(b) Cast spells.
(d) Perform surgery.
10. Where does Orpheus travel to sing songs of Eurydice?
(b) The mountains.
(c) Mount Olympus.
(d) The land of the dead.
11. At the end of "One Night in Paradise," the friend realizes he's been gone for ____________.
(a) 50 years.
(b) 300 years.
(c) 100 years.
(d) 10 years.
12. Who is the main character of ''The Princess on the Glass Hill"?
13. What happens to the doctor at the end of "The Doctor and His Pupil"?
(a) He is eaten.
(b) He leaves town.
(c) He flies away.
(d) He becomes a sultan.
14. Which member of the family in "A Pretty Girl in the Road" died previously?
(a) Their father.
(b) Their son.
(c) Their daughter.
(d) Their mother.
15. Whom does the man stop to help in "Wicked John and the Devil"?
(a) The devil.
(b) A mother.
(c) A beggar.
(d) A child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Visilisa keep in her pocket until she dies?
2. Where does Anansi hide his treasures in "Getting Common Sense"?
3. In "The Doctor and His Pupil," what must the boy dust?
4. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," the brother turns into _____________.
5. Where does the husband in "The Bad Wife," put his wife?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)