|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man steal from the swan in "The Swan-Maiden"?
(a) Her beak.
(b) A toe nail.
2. How long does the fisherman have to live in "Then the Merman Laughed"?
(a) Five days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Two days.
3. Whom does the man stop to help in "Wicked John and the Devil"?
(a) A beggar.
(b) A child.
(c) The devil.
(d) A mother.
4. What is the woman whom the man discovers in "The Seal's Skin" doing?
5. Where does the husband in "The Bad Wife," put his wife?
(a) A hole.
(b) A jail.
(c) A tower.
(d) An island.
6. In "The Swan-Maiden," what happens when the man returns the stolen item to the swan?
(a) She kills him.
(b) She dies.
(c) She flies away.
(d) She marries him.
7. In "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka," the brother turns into _____________.
(a) A dragon.
(b) A goat.
(c) A pig.
(d) A horse.
8. In "The Doctor and His Pupil," what must the boy dust?
(a) A set of china.
(b) A magical carpet.
(c) A magical book.
(d) A magical lamp.
9. What does the witch tie to the sister's neck in "Sister Alionushka, Brother Ivanushka"?
(a) A chain.
(b) A necktie.
(c) A stone.
(d) A jewel.
10. Where does Orpheus travel to sing songs of Eurydice?
(a) Mount Olympus.
(b) The land of the dead.
(c) The mountains.
11. What does Visilisa's mother give to her in 'Visilisa the Beautiful' ?
(a) A doll.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A horse.
(d) A pet fish.
12. In "The Spirit Wife," why can the man not touch his wife?
(a) She'll die.
(b) He'll die.
(c) A great earthquake will occur.
(d) He will collapse into dust.
13. Who frees the devil from Katcha's clutches?
(a) A queen.
(b) A princess.
(c) A beggar.
(d) A shepherd.
14. How is the first brother rewarded when he gives the women a line to their song in "The Two Hunchbacks"?
(a) They give him their daughter.
(b) The give him magical powers.
(c) They remove his hump.
(d) They give him gold.
15. What pact do the two friends make in "One Night in Paradise"?
(a) To be buried together.
(b) To be the other's best man.
(c) To be friends forever.
(d) To marry the other's wife should one die.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Getting Common Sense," Anansi wants to charge people for ___________.
2. In "The Lawyer and the Devil," why does the boy give his soul to the devil?
3. What does the princess promise to give birth to in "The Promises of the Three Sisters"?
4. "The King of Ireland's Son'' is about _____________.
5. Falsehood accuses the boy at the hotel of ___________.
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)