|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
(b) Anvils and hammers to do work.
(c) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(d) Food and wine.
2. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To sing.
(b) To play a lute.
(c) To dance.
(d) To speak in rhyme.
3. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(a) A dark cloud.
(c) A group of phorkyads.
(d) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
4. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(b) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
(d) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
5. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(a) The Lost Seeker.
(b) The Old Iniquity.
(d) The Ultimate Riddle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
2. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
3. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
4. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
5. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)