|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
(b) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(c) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
(d) A messenger brings her word to return.
2. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
(b) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(c) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
(d) He hopes to woo Helen.
3. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A victory banquet.
(b) A triumphant parade.
(c) A masked ball.
(d) A trial for the prisoners of war.
4. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A frozen foot.
(b) A sick stomach.
(c) A cramped hand.
(d) A headache.
5. What is Mephistopheles' final action in Act III?
(a) To weep for Helen.
(b) To sing a song in praise of Faust.
(c) To write a letter to Menelaus.
(d) To remove the mask of Phorkyas and reveal himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
2. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
3. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
4. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
5. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)