|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the item Faust gives Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) She should pluck its petals to see if he loves her.
(b) It will be a token of their secret engagement.
(c) It will put her mother to sleep.
(d) She will understand him better after reading the book.
2. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is writing a suicide note.
(b) He is burning his books.
(c) He is reading the Bible.
(d) He is reviewing his knowledge.
3. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The cauldron.
(b) The chimney.
(c) The fireplace.
(d) The window.
4. Which mountains do Faust and Mephistopheles travel to in "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) Eastern Alps.
(b) The Hartz Mountains.
(c) The Black Forest Mountain Range.
5. What does Martha warn Mephistopheles about while Gretchen and Faust speak?
(a) She warns him to not die a bachelor.
(b) She warns him that Gretchen is on the brink of joining a nunnery.
(c) She warns him that Faust better not hurt Gretchen.
(d) She warns him that he will be unhappy in their town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
2. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
3. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
4. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
5. Why does Gretchen say she no longer has in "A Prison"?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)