|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
(a) Faust insulted him.
(b) He thinks Faust raped Gretchen.
(c) Mephistopheles cast a spell on Valentine to manipulate him into a duel.
(d) He is protecting Gretchen's honor.
2. Which Biblical character is apparently present on Walpurgis Night?
(c) Pontius Pilate.
3. What does Faust see around Gretchen's neck in his vision of her in "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) A knife cut.
(b) A chain.
(c) A rope.
(d) The necklace he gave her.
4. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A broker.
(b) A barrister.
(c) A priest.
(d) A student.
5. For what does Gretchen ask permission when she is unable to recognize Faust in her cell?
(a) To pray to God.
(b) To sleep awhile longer.
(c) To feed her baby.
(d) To contact her lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
2. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
3. What can Mephistopheles not do for Gretchen in "A Gloomy Day?"
4. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
5. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)