|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
(b) He looks down upon them.
(c) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
(d) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
2. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) He scares her.
(b) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(c) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
(d) Nosy neighbors.
3. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
(a) She should run away to another town.
(b) She should become an actress.
(c) She should enter a nunnery.
(d) She should take a lover.
4. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(b) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(c) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(d) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
5. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Atonement for her sins.
(b) Forgiveness for Faust.
(c) Mephistopheles's soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
2. What does Faust see around Gretchen's neck in his vision of her in "Walpurgis Night"?
3. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
4. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
5. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)