|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of Gretchen's brother?
2. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) The author has decided to end his own life.
(b) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(c) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(d) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
3. For what reasons does Gretchen want Faust to go to a particular location in "A Prison"?
(a) She wants him to pray for his soul.
(b) She wants him to visit their child's grave.
(c) She wants him to be there when she dies.
(d) She wants him to save the child she drowned there.
4. How does Gretchen admit to feeling when Faust is not around?
5. What purpose does Gretchen's song serve in prison?
(a) She is trying to send a message to Faust.
(b) She is trying to fool everyone into thinking she is mad.
(c) She thinks she is singing to her child.
(d) She is trying to figure out who is responsible for her plight.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
2. What does Martha warn Mephistopheles about while Gretchen and Faust speak?
3. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
4. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
5. In what language is the song heard during "A Cathedral"?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)