|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
(a) The Old Testament backwards.
(b) A spellbook.
(c) The Book of Kells.
(d) The Necronomicon.
2. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will go insane.
(b) Faust will only come closer to God.
(c) Faust will turn away from God.
(d) Faust will not recognize evil.
3. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A scathing look at society.
(b) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
(d) A true artistic statement.
4. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
(a) She believes Barbara is being unfairly maligned, but Barbara has no one to blame but herself.
(b) She thinks that Barbara deserves nothing but help and sympathy.
(c) She believes Barbara is getting what she deserves.
(d) She is afraid of Barbara and her bad luck.
5. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
(a) She killed her priest.
(b) She attempted suicide.
(c) She killed their baby.
(d) She meant to murder her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
2. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
3. Which Biblical character is apparently present on Walpurgis Night?
4. Who is singing in the church?
5. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)