|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
(a) Gretchen's concern for Faust's soul.
(b) Gretchen's willingness to believe Faust will marry her.
(c) Faust's infatuation with Gretchen.
(d) Gretchen's dislike for men.
2. Why does Mephistopheles not disguise himself amidst the witches on the mountain?
(a) He wants to bask in their adulation.
(b) He does not want to deny his heritage.
(c) He knows that a disguise is pointless amongst witches.
(d) He cannot be disguised for celebrations.
3. Which Biblical character is apparently present on Walpurgis Night?
(d) Pontius Pilate.
4. To which author do the characters in the chapter "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" belong?
5. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) He wants to create a grand piece of art.
(b) He wants to be seen by the director of a better theater.
(c) He wants to play the lead.
(d) He wants to entertain the audience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
2. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
3. Who is Valentine?
4. What are Gretchen and Faust doing during "A Summerhouse"?
5. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)