|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
(a) A large black boot.
(b) A broken crown.
(c) A belt made out of human skin.
(d) A tattered cape.
2. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
(a) She is afraid of Barbara and her bad luck.
(b) She thinks that Barbara deserves nothing but help and sympathy.
(c) She believes Barbara is getting what she deserves.
(d) She believes Barbara is being unfairly maligned, but Barbara has no one to blame but herself.
3. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(b) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
(c) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
(d) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
4. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
(a) He will reveal Mephistopheles to every witch in the country.
(b) He will throw Mephistopheles into a church.
(c) He will imprison Mephistopheles in his study.
(d) He will leave Mephistopheles.
5. What purpose does "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" serve in this play?
(a) Comic relief.
(b) A ritual to conjure up a spell of eternal darkness.
(c) A cover for Faust's escape.
(d) Commentary on Faust and Gretchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
2. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
3. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
4. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
5. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)