|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
(a) His relationship with God.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His sanity.
(d) His will to live.
2. Initially, what is the only thing Gretchen recognizes as Faust when he is in her prison cell?
(a) His hands.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His lips.
(d) His voice.
3. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is reading the Bible.
(b) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(c) He is burning his books.
(d) He is writing a suicide note.
4. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He plays piano for them.
(b) He creates illusions for them.
(c) He sings for them.
(d) He dances for them.
5. Which Biblical character is apparently present on Walpurgis Night?
(d) Pontius Pilate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
2. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
3. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
4. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
5. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)