|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
(a) He will be manipulating Gretchen into doing the same.
(b) He will be sincere.
(c) He will be blaspheming.
(d) He will be lying.
2. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He becomes afraid.
3. How does "A Cathedral" end?
(a) Gretchen faints.
(b) Gretchen dies.
(c) Gretchen attempts suicide.
(d) Gretchen renounces God.
4. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
(a) She should become an actress.
(b) She should take a lover.
(c) She should run away to another town.
(d) She should enter a nunnery.
5. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
(a) Going into the seminary.
(b) Wasting his life in a pub.
(c) Following in Faust's footsteps of being a scholar.
(d) Becoming a barrister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is singing in the church?
2. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
3. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
4. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
5. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)