|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha warn Mephistopheles about while Gretchen and Faust speak?
(a) She warns him that he will be unhappy in their town.
(b) She warns him that Gretchen is on the brink of joining a nunnery.
(c) She warns him to not die a bachelor.
(d) She warns him that Faust better not hurt Gretchen.
2. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) Cast spells of old age on the rest of the witches.
(b) Sell her wares.
(c) Pickpocket Faust.
(d) Sell her body.
3. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is on his way home.
(b) Her husband is dead.
(c) Her husband is in jail.
(d) Her husband has joined the militia.
4. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Forgiveness for Faust.
(c) Mephistopheles's soul.
(d) Atonement for her sins.
5. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
(a) He will be manipulating Gretchen into doing the same.
(b) He will be sincere.
(c) He will be blaspheming.
(d) He will be lying.
Short Answer Questions
1. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
2. What does Gretchen initially believe about Faust when he comes into her cell?
3. How does Gretchen admit to feeling when Faust is not around?
4. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
5. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)