|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While dancing with the young one in "Walpurgis Night," what vision does Faust claim to have had?
(a) A goat with two heads.
(b) A tree being split with lightning
(c) An apple tree with two apples.
(d) An ocean wave crashing against the rocks.
2. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
(a) In the water in the cauldron.
(b) In the fire.
(c) In a bottle of wine.
(d) In a mirror.
3. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
(a) A broken crown.
(b) A belt made out of human skin.
(c) A large black boot.
(d) A tattered cape.
4. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
(a) The giant crucifix is going to fall on her.
(b) The Communion wine has turned to blood.
(c) The walls of the cathedral are closing in on her.
(d) The body of Christ is choking her.
5. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
(a) Bathe in full moonlight.
(b) Sacrifice a white goat.
(c) Keep moving.
(d) Eat a specific herb that can only be seen at midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
2. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
3. How does Gretchen admit to feeling when Faust is not around?
4. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
5. Why does Mephistopheles not disguise himself amidst the witches on the mountain?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)