|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gloomy Day. Open Country, Night. In Open Country and A Prison.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
2. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
(a) Dagger to the heart.
(d) Gunshot to the head.
3. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
(b) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(c) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
(d) The people highly respect Faust.
4. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
(a) He asks if she would run away with him.
(b) He asks if she would like to move in with him.
(c) He asks if they can sleep together.
(d) He asks if they can get married.
5. How does "A Cathedral" end?
(a) Gretchen dies.
(b) Gretchen renounces God.
(c) Gretchen attempts suicide.
(d) Gretchen faints.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
2. For what does Gretchen ask permission when she is unable to recognize Faust in her cell?
3. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
4. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
5. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)