|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(b) Martha's garden.
(d) Gretchen's bed.
2. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
(a) He will be blaspheming.
(b) He will be lying.
(c) He will be manipulating Gretchen into doing the same.
(d) He will be sincere.
3. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(c) She is flattered.
(d) She tries to kiss him.
4. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(b) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(c) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
(d) The author has decided to end his own life.
5. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(b) A cross hangs over the door.
(c) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(d) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
2. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
3. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
4. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
5. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)