|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
(a) Faust must not take Gretchen's virginity.
(b) Faust must never drink their wine, as it has been touched by a priest.
(c) Faust must lie about Martha's husband.
(d) Faust must not look Martha in the eyes.
2. According to Lieschen, how did Barbara spend her evenings and nights?
(a) With men.
(b) With her mother.
(c) Dancing in the woods.
3. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) She falls into the fire.
(b) The baboon lets it boil over.
(c) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
(d) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
4. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(a) She is flattered.
(b) She tries to kiss him.
5. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is burning his books.
(b) He is writing a suicide note.
(c) He is reading the Bible.
(d) He is reviewing his knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is singing in the church?
2. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
3. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
4. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
5. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)