|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Giving him his big break.
(b) Stifling his creativity.
(c) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
(d) Sabotaging him on purpose.
2. What does Gretchen do with the daisy she picks while walking with Faust?
(a) She puts it in her hair.
(b) She throws it in the water.
(c) She throws it in the fire.
(d) She plays "He loves me, he loves me not."
3. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will only come closer to God.
(b) Faust will go insane.
(c) Faust will turn away from God.
(d) Faust will not recognize evil.
4. Why does Faust fear Mephistopheles's influence over his happiness with Gretchen in "A Cavern"?
(a) He knows Mephistopheles could take everything away.
(b) He knows Gretchen is protected by God.
(c) He knows Gretchen fears Mephistopheles.
(d) He knows Mephistopheles wants Gretchen for himself.
5. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(b) He is reading the Bible.
(c) He is burning his books.
(d) He is writing a suicide note.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
2. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
3. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
4. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
5. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)