|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) The baboon lets it boil over.
(b) She falls into the fire.
(c) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
(d) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
2. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
(b) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
(c) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
(d) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
3. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
(a) He will reveal Mephistopheles to every witch in the country.
(b) He will imprison Mephistopheles in his study.
(c) He will throw Mephistopheles into a church.
(d) He will leave Mephistopheles.
4. What is Gretchen attending during "A Cathedral"?
(b) A mass for the dead.
(c) Lenten rituals.
(d) Sunday morning mass.
5. In what language is the song heard during "A Cathedral"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Faust fear Mephistopheles's influence over his happiness with Gretchen in "A Cavern"?
2. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
3. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
4. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
5. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)