|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) They are kicked out of the pub.
(b) They are arrested.
(c) They exit through the window.
(d) They vanish.
2. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is jealous of her wealth.
(c) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
(d) He is going to kill her one day.
3. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Mephistopheles's soul.
(c) Atonement for her sins.
(d) Forgiveness for Faust.
4. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) The jewelry is gaudy.
(b) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(c) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
(d) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
5. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
(a) The giant crucifix is going to fall on her.
(b) The walls of the cathedral are closing in on her.
(c) The Communion wine has turned to blood.
(d) The body of Christ is choking her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
2. What does Faust give Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
3. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
4. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
5. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)