|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She hates Mephistopheles.
(b) She has thought about killing herself before.
(c) She is not in love with Faust.
(d) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
2. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is counting his money.
(b) Faust is writing a letter to God.
(c) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
(d) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
3. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(b) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(c) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(d) He can draw Faust away from God.
4. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
(a) Seduce him.
(b) Take him to confession.
(c) Get him drunk.
(d) Get a marriage proposal.
5. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
(a) He never wanted to be a scholar.
(b) He is neither wealthy or famous.
(c) He no longer believes in his work.
(d) He feels slighted by the academic community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
2. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
3. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
4. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
5. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)