|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
(a) The girl is an atheist.
(b) She has just gone to confession.
(c) Faust must truly be in love with the girl.
(d) The girl truly loves Faust.
2. Who is Barbara?
(a) Gretchen's sister.
(b) An unwed, pregnant girl.
(c) Faust's daughter.
(d) Mephistopheles's favorite witch.
3. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(b) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
(c) He believes Faust is having an affair.
(d) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
4. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(b) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(c) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(d) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
5. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
(a) It is his pet from childhood.
(b) It is an evil spirit.
(c) It is a sign from God.
(d) It is an escaped pet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
2. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
3. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
4. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
5. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)