|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gretchen's Room, Martha's Garden, and At The Well.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
(b) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
(c) He will marry her one day soon.
(d) He will attend church with her.
2. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) Nosy neighbors.
(b) He scares her.
(c) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(d) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
3. What is the purpose of the item Faust gives Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) It will be a token of their secret engagement.
(b) She should pluck its petals to see if he loves her.
(c) It will put her mother to sleep.
(d) She will understand him better after reading the book.
4. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are all heretics.
(b) The people are liars.
(c) The people are mocking him.
(d) The people respect him.
5. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gretchen's friend?
2. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
3. What does Mephistopheles warn Faust about in regards to his affections for Gretchen?
4. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
5. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)