|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gretchen's Room, Martha's Garden, and At The Well.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
(a) Mephistopheles remembers her.
(b) Faust does not treat her like a simpleton.
(c) Faust finds her attractive.
(d) Martha's husband is dead.
2. What is Faust awed by, according to the beginning of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) Gretchen refuses to be swayed by Mephistopheles.
(b) He has no feelings beyond lust for Gretchen.
(c) He has fallen deeply in love with Gretchen.
(d) Gretchen understands his feelings about God.
3. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(b) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(c) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(d) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
4. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
(a) Faust will not be able to stop thinking about her.
(b) Faust will probably need to laugh about her ignorance.
(c) He will forget about her.
(d) Gretchen will cry herself to sleep out of loneliness.
5. According to Lieschen, how did Barbara spend her evenings and nights?
(a) With men.
(b) Dancing in the woods.
(c) With her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
2. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
3. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
4. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
5. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)