|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gretchen's Room, Martha's Garden, and At The Well.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
2. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
(a) She spits at Faust.
(b) She tries to renounce her evil ways.
(c) She does not recognize him as her master.
(d) She hits her baboons.
3. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(b) The author has decided to end his own life.
(c) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
(d) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
4. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Gold coins.
(b) Dried meat.
(c) Drinks he conjured up.
(d) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
5. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
(a) The girl is an atheist.
(b) Faust must truly be in love with the girl.
(c) She has just gone to confession.
(d) The girl truly loves Faust.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
2. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
3. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
4. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
5. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)