|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gretchen's Room, Martha's Garden, and At The Well.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles warn Faust about in regards to his affections for Gretchen?
(a) Faust will never find the courage to act on his lust.
(b) Faust will take his feelings for Gretchen too far.
(c) Faust will find another woman more attractive.
(d) Gretchen will outgrow her feelings for him.
2. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Astounding the audience.
(b) Making money.
(c) Creating true art.
(d) Casting the right actors.
3. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
(b) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(c) The people highly respect Faust.
(d) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
4. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
(a) He has to ask God for a favor.
(b) God invited him.
(c) He sneaked in behind another angel.
(d) He and God are friends.
5. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is writing a letter to God.
(b) Faust is counting his money.
(c) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
(d) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
2. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
3. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
4. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
5. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)