|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gretchen's Room, Martha's Garden, and At The Well.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Faust fear Mephistopheles's influence over his happiness with Gretchen in "A Cavern"?
(a) He knows Mephistopheles wants Gretchen for himself.
(b) He knows Mephistopheles could take everything away.
(c) He knows Gretchen fears Mephistopheles.
(d) He knows Gretchen is protected by God.
2. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(a) She tries to kiss him.
(c) She is flattered.
3. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(b) She is afraid of the outside world.
(c) She is suspicious of all men.
(d) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
4. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She has thought about killing herself before.
(b) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
(c) She hates Mephistopheles.
(d) She is not in love with Faust.
5. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(b) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
(c) The people highly respect Faust.
(d) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
2. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
3. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
4. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
5. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)