|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gretchen's Room, Martha's Garden, and At The Well.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(b) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(c) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(d) He is attracted to a witch.
2. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
(b) He will attend church with her.
(c) He will marry her one day soon.
(d) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
3. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He becomes afraid.
(d) He gets drunk.
4. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to fall asleep.
(b) They begin to speak in tongues.
(c) They begin to hallucinate.
(d) Three of the men die.
5. What does Martha warn Mephistopheles about while Gretchen and Faust speak?
(a) She warns him that Faust better not hurt Gretchen.
(b) She warns him to not die a bachelor.
(c) She warns him that he will be unhappy in their town.
(d) She warns him that Gretchen is on the brink of joining a nunnery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
2. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
3. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
4. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
5. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)