|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gretchen's Room, Martha's Garden, and At The Well.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She is his daughter.
(b) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
(c) She holds paradise in her body.
(d) She will save his soul.
2. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) Gifts for the girl.
(b) The girl's name.
(c) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(d) The effects of the witch's potion.
3. Where does "Night" take place?
(a) Faust's private chapel.
(b) Faust's kitchen.
(c) Faust's bedroom.
(d) Faust's study.
4. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) Nosy neighbors.
(b) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(c) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
(d) He scares her.
5. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
(a) She is afraid of Barbara and her bad luck.
(b) She believes Barbara is being unfairly maligned, but Barbara has no one to blame but herself.
(c) She believes Barbara is getting what she deserves.
(d) She thinks that Barbara deserves nothing but help and sympathy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gretchen admit to feeling when Faust is not around?
2. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
3. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
4. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
5. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)