|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gretchen's Room, Martha's Garden, and At The Well.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
(b) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(c) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(d) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
2. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
(a) Warm itself by the fire.
(c) Stay calm.
3. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
(a) Take the audience on a journey from heaven to hell.
(b) Take suggestions from the audience and create a play.
(c) Perform a comedy.
(d) They will perform a classic tragedy instead of their play.
4. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
(a) Faust will not be able to stop thinking about her.
(b) He will forget about her.
(c) Faust will probably need to laugh about her ignorance.
(d) Gretchen will cry herself to sleep out of loneliness.
5. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(b) Nosy neighbors.
(c) He scares her.
(d) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
2. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
3. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
4. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
5. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)