|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gretchen's Room, Martha's Garden, and At The Well.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
(a) His sister's house.
(c) A dressmaker's shop.
(d) The street.
2. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
(a) She tries to renounce her evil ways.
(b) She hits her baboons.
(c) She spits at Faust.
(d) She does not recognize him as her master.
3. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(b) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
(c) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
(d) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
4. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(b) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(c) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(d) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
5. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
Short Answer Questions
1. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
2. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
3. What is the name of Gretchen's friend?
4. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
5. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)