|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Evening, A Promenade, and The Neighbor's House.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(b) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
(c) They only want to sleep with her.
(d) They pity her because of her poverty.
2. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(b) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(c) A cross hangs over the door.
(d) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
3. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He hints at different times that her husband loved her or did not love her.
(b) He tells her that her husband was a great man and a despicable man.
(c) He tells her that her husband was a homosexual, but probably not.
(d) He tells her that her husband is dead and then alive.
4. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The fireplace.
(b) The chimney.
(c) The cauldron.
(d) The window.
5. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(b) She is afraid of the outside world.
(c) She is suspicious of all men.
(d) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
2. .0 0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
3. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
4. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
5. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)