|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Evening, A Promenade, and The Neighbor's House.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
(b) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(c) The author has decided to end his own life.
(d) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
2. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
(b) A scathing look at society.
(d) A true artistic statement.
3. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is in jail.
(b) Her husband is on his way home.
(c) Her husband is dead.
(d) Her husband has joined the militia.
4. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
(a) Martha will sell it for her, and they will split the money.
(b) She is advised to not show her mother this time.
(c) Gretchen should give it to the priest again.
(d) She will keep it at Martha's house.
5. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
(b) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
(c) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
(d) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
2. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
3. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
4. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
5. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)