|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Evening, A Promenade, and The Neighbor's House.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(b) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(c) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
(d) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
2. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) Consecrated wine.
(b) Ink made up of blood and ash.
(c) Mephistopheles's blood.
(d) His own blood.
3. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(b) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(c) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
(d) He believes Faust is having an affair.
4. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(b) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(c) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(d) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
5. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
(a) It is an evil spirit.
(b) It is a sign from God.
(c) It is his pet from childhood.
(d) It is an escaped pet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
2. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
3. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
4. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
5. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)