|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Evening, A Promenade, and The Neighbor's House.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Faust's title?
2. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(b) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(c) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
(d) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
3. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She does not like to go outside.
(b) She is afraid of men.
(c) She wishes to become a nun.
(d) She is attracted to Faust.
4. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) The past.
(b) The future.
(c) Present time for the production.
(d) The present as it was when the play was written.
5. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is counting his money.
(b) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
(c) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
(d) Faust is writing a letter to God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
2. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
3. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
4. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
5. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)