|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Evening, A Promenade, and The Neighbor's House.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He is unhappy with life.
(b) He resents God.
(c) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
(d) He lusts after a village girl.
2. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(b) She is afraid of the outside world.
(c) She is suspicious of all men.
(d) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
3. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to fall asleep.
(b) They begin to hallucinate.
(c) Three of the men die.
(d) They begin to speak in tongues.
4. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black crow.
(b) A black poodle.
(c) A black cat.
(d) A black rabbit.
5. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(b) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(c) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(d) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
2. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
3. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
4. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
5. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)