|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Evening, A Promenade, and The Neighbor's House.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
(a) He feels slighted by the academic community.
(b) He never wanted to be a scholar.
(c) He no longer believes in his work.
(d) He is neither wealthy or famous.
2. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is writing a suicide note.
(b) He is burning his books.
(c) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(d) He is reading the Bible.
3. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will go insane.
(b) Faust will only come closer to God.
(c) Faust will not recognize evil.
(d) Faust will turn away from God.
4. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(b) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(c) He is attracted to a witch.
(d) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
5. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Giving him his big break.
(b) Sabotaging him on purpose.
(c) Stifling his creativity.
(d) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
2. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
3. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
4. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
5. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)