|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Evening, A Promenade, and The Neighbor's House.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He tells her that her husband is dead and then alive.
(b) He tells her that her husband was a homosexual, but probably not.
(c) He hints at different times that her husband loved her or did not love her.
(d) He tells her that her husband was a great man and a despicable man.
2. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) The effects of the witch's potion.
(b) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(c) The girl's name.
(d) Gifts for the girl.
3. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
4. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(b) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(c) He can draw Faust away from God.
(d) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
5. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The forest.
(b) The church.
(c) The countryside.
(d) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
2. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
3. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
4. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
5. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)