|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Evening, A Promenade, and The Neighbor's House.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
(b) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(c) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
(d) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
2. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A student.
(b) A barrister.
(c) A broker.
(d) A priest.
3. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Attack each other with knives.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Leave for another country.
(d) Pillage a neighboring village.
4. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
(a) In a bottle of wine.
(b) In the fire.
(c) In a mirror.
(d) In the water in the cauldron.
5. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
(a) The girl is an atheist.
(b) The girl truly loves Faust.
(c) She has just gone to confession.
(d) Faust must truly be in love with the girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
2. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
3. Where does "Night" take place?
4. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
5. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)