|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Witch's Kitchen and A Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(b) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(c) The author has decided to end his own life.
(d) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
2. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(c) He becomes afraid.
(d) He gets drunk.
3. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
(a) She tries to renounce her evil ways.
(b) She hits her baboons.
(c) She does not recognize him as her master.
(d) She spits at Faust.
4. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(b) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(c) He can draw Faust away from God.
(d) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
5. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
(a) The street.
(c) His sister's house.
(d) A dressmaker's shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
2. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
3. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
4. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
5. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)