|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(b) He believes Faust is having an affair.
(c) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(d) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
2. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) In plain sight of Faust.
(b) Behind the stove.
(c) Under the couch.
(d) In the next room.
3. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) They are arrested.
(b) They are kicked out of the pub.
(c) They vanish.
(d) They exit through the window.
4. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
(a) Take suggestions from the audience and create a play.
(b) Take the audience on a journey from heaven to hell.
(c) They will perform a classic tragedy instead of their play.
(d) Perform a comedy.
5. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The sound of children playing.
(b) The rising sun.
(c) The church bells.
(d) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
2. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
3. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
4. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
5. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)