|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Stifling his creativity.
(b) Giving him his big break.
(c) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
(d) Sabotaging him on purpose.
2. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black cat.
(b) A black crow.
(c) A black poodle.
(d) A black rabbit.
3. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He is unhappy with life.
(b) He lusts after a village girl.
(c) He resents God.
(d) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
4. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) The Odyssey.
(d) Myths about Mesopotamia.
5. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(b) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
(c) He believes Faust is having an affair.
(d) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
2. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
3. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
4. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
5. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)