|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) Under the couch.
(b) Behind the stove.
(c) In plain sight of Faust.
(d) In the next room.
2. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to speak in tongues.
(b) Three of the men die.
(c) They begin to fall asleep.
(d) They begin to hallucinate.
3. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Gold coins.
(b) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
(c) Drinks he conjured up.
(d) Dried meat.
4. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(b) He can draw Faust away from God.
(c) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(d) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
5. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A barrister.
(b) A priest.
(c) A broker.
(d) A student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
2. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
3. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
4. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
5. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)