|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A broker.
(b) A priest.
(c) A barrister.
(d) A student.
2. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are liars.
(b) The people are all heretics.
(c) The people are mocking him.
(d) The people respect him.
3. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(b) The author has decided to end his own life.
(c) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(d) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
4. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) In plain sight of Faust.
(b) Under the couch.
(c) In the next room.
(d) Behind the stove.
5. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will only come closer to God.
(b) Faust will go insane.
(c) Faust will turn away from God.
(d) Faust will not recognize evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
2. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
3. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
4. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
5. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)