|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can draw Faust away from God.
(b) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(c) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(d) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
2. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) Present time for the production.
(b) The present as it was when the play was written.
(c) The future.
(d) The past.
3. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A barrister.
(b) A priest.
(c) A broker.
(d) A student.
4. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The river.
(b) The church.
(c) The forest.
(d) The countryside.
5. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A cross hangs over the door.
(b) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(c) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(d) Faust left his Bible by the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
2. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
3. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
4. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
5. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)