|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
(b) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(c) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
(d) The people highly respect Faust.
2. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(b) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(c) A cross hangs over the door.
(d) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
3. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He becomes afraid.
(b) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He falls asleep.
4. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
5. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
(b) The church bells.
(c) The sound of children playing.
(d) The rising sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
2. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
3. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
4. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
5. .0 0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)