|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) The past.
(b) The future.
(c) The present as it was when the play was written.
(d) Present time for the production.
2. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(b) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(c) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(d) A cross hangs over the door.
3. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will only come closer to God.
(b) Faust will turn away from God.
(c) Faust will go insane.
(d) Faust will not recognize evil.
4. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He looks down upon them.
(b) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
(c) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
(d) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
5. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) Myths about Mesopotamia.
(c) The Odyssey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
2. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
3. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
4. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
5. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)