|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Leave for another country.
(c) Pillage a neighboring village.
(d) Attack each other with knives.
2. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
(b) Faust is counting his money.
(c) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
(d) Faust is writing a letter to God.
3. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He plays piano for them.
(b) He sings for them.
(c) He creates illusions for them.
(d) He dances for them.
4. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(b) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(c) He is attracted to a witch.
(d) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
5. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(b) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
(c) The people highly respect Faust.
(d) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
2. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
3. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
4. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
5. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)