|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Sabotaging him on purpose.
(b) Giving him his big break.
(c) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
(d) Stifling his creativity.
2. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will turn away from God.
(b) Faust will not recognize evil.
(c) Faust will only come closer to God.
(d) Faust will go insane.
3. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(b) The people highly respect Faust.
(c) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
(d) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
4. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He sings for them.
(b) He dances for them.
(c) He plays piano for them.
(d) He creates illusions for them.
5. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) He wants to entertain the audience.
(b) He wants to create a grand piece of art.
(c) He wants to be seen by the director of a better theater.
(d) He wants to play the lead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
2. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
3. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
4. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
5. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)