|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Night and Outside the Town Wall.
Multiple Choice Questions
0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
2. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
(a) It is an escaped pet.
(b) It is his pet from childhood.
(c) It is an evil spirit.
(d) It is a sign from God.
3. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A true artistic statement.
(b) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
(c) A scathing look at society.
4. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Casting the right actors.
(b) Creating true art.
(c) Making money.
(d) Astounding the audience.
5. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(b) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(c) He is attracted to a witch.
(d) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Faust's title?
2. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
3. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
4. Where does "Night" take place?
5. What holiday is being celebrated in "Outside the Town Wall"?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)