|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Night and Outside the Town Wall.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
(a) He has to ask God for a favor.
(b) He and God are friends.
(c) God invited him.
(d) He sneaked in behind another angel.
2. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
(b) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(c) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(d) The author has decided to end his own life.
3. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
(a) His knowledge.
(b) The beauty of His work.
(c) The grandeur of His presence.
(d) His compassion.
4. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) Present time for the production.
(b) The future.
(c) The past.
(d) The present as it was when the play was written.
5. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are mocking him.
(b) The people are liars.
(c) The people respect him.
(d) The people are all heretics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
2. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
3. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
4. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
5. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)