|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Walpurgis Night and A Walpurgis Night's Dream.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) She feels only the Virgin Mary will understand her pain.
(b) She is afraid that she needs protection.
(c) She believes that Jesus will not judge her.
(d) She feels that she has become Mary Magdalene.
2. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
3. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She does not like to go outside.
(b) She wishes to become a nun.
(c) She is attracted to Faust.
(d) She is afraid of men.
4. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
(a) He asks if she would run away with him.
(b) He asks if they can sleep together.
(c) He asks if they can get married.
(d) He asks if she would like to move in with him.
5. Why was Gretchen forced to raise her now-deceased sister and take care of the house when she was younger?
(a) Her father disappeared.
(b) Her mother was ill.
(c) Her mother was in prison.
(d) Her mother was forced to work as a maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
2. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
3. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
4. What does Gretchen do with the daisy she picks while walking with Faust?
5. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)