|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Walpurgis Night and A Walpurgis Night's Dream.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(b) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(c) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(d) He drowned at sea.
2. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A scathing look at society.
(b) A true artistic statement.
(c) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
3. According to Lieschen, how did Barbara spend her evenings and nights?
(a) With men.
(b) With her mother.
(d) Dancing in the woods.
4. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
(c) She is dying.
(d) She killed her mother on purpose.
5. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Making money.
(b) Creating true art.
(c) Casting the right actors.
(d) Astounding the audience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Gretchen forced to raise her now-deceased sister and take care of the house when she was younger?
2. Which mountains do Faust and Mephistopheles travel to in "Walpurgis Night"?
3. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
4. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
5. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)