|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Walpurgis Night and A Walpurgis Night's Dream.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(b) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(c) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(d) He drowned at sea.
2. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
(b) An evil spirit.
(d) An angel.
3. How does "A Cathedral" end?
(a) Gretchen dies.
(b) Gretchen renounces God.
(c) Gretchen attempts suicide.
(d) Gretchen faints.
4. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
(a) She has just gone to confession.
(b) The girl is an atheist.
(c) The girl truly loves Faust.
(d) Faust must truly be in love with the girl.
5. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
(a) He is sympathetic towards her.
(b) He is furious with her.
(c) He feels nothing but love and understanding for her.
(d) He feels a murderous hatred towards her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gretchen's friend?
2. What holiday is being celebrated in "Outside the Town Wall"?
3. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
4. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
5. According to Musaget, what is easier to "govern than the Muses"?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)