|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Walpurgis Night and A Walpurgis Night's Dream.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He poisoned her drink.
(b) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
(c) He has renounced God because of her.
(d) He knows her secret.
2. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(b) They only want to sleep with her.
(c) They pity her because of her poverty.
(d) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
3. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She wishes to become a nun.
(b) She is afraid of men.
(c) She does not like to go outside.
(d) She is attracted to Faust.
4. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
(a) The Old Testament backwards.
(b) The Necronomicon.
(c) A spellbook.
(d) The Book of Kells.
5. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(b) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(c) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(d) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gretchen attending during "A Cathedral"?
2. What does Martha warn Mephistopheles about while Gretchen and Faust speak?
3. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
4. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
5. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)