|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The church.
(b) The river.
(c) The forest.
(d) The countryside.
2. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to hallucinate.
(b) They begin to fall asleep.
(c) Three of the men die.
(d) They begin to speak in tongues.
3. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
(a) He never wanted to be a scholar.
(b) He no longer believes in his work.
(c) He is neither wealthy or famous.
(d) He feels slighted by the academic community.
4. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) He wants to play the lead.
(b) He wants to be seen by the director of a better theater.
(c) He wants to entertain the audience.
(d) He wants to create a grand piece of art.
5. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
2. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
3. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
4. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
5. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)