|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
(b) Gunshot to the head.
(d) Dagger to the heart.
2. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) Myths about Mesopotamia.
(d) The Odyssey.
3. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(b) Give up his holy studies.
(c) Kill Wagner.
(d) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
4. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Leave for another country.
(c) Pillage a neighboring village.
(d) Attack each other with knives.
5. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A true artistic statement.
(b) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
(d) A scathing look at society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
2. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
3. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
4. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
5. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)