|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
(a) The beauty of His work.
(b) His knowledge.
(c) The grandeur of His presence.
(d) His compassion.
2. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
3. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
(a) He is neither wealthy or famous.
(b) He never wanted to be a scholar.
(c) He feels slighted by the academic community.
(d) He no longer believes in his work.
4. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(b) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
(c) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(d) He believes Faust is having an affair.
5. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(b) He can draw Faust away from God.
(c) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(d) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
2. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
3. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
4. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
5. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)