|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(b) He is attracted to a witch.
(c) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(d) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
2. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
(b) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(c) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
(d) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
3. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
(c) Stay calm.
(d) Warm itself by the fire.
4. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Pillage a neighboring village.
(b) Attack each other with knives.
(c) Leave for another country.
(d) Commit suicide.
5. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
(a) He no longer believes in his work.
(b) He is neither wealthy or famous.
(c) He never wanted to be a scholar.
(d) He feels slighted by the academic community.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
2. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
3. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
4. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
5. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)