|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) Consecrated wine.
(b) His own blood.
(c) Mephistopheles's blood.
(d) Ink made up of blood and ash.
2. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) Under the couch.
(b) In plain sight of Faust.
(c) In the next room.
(d) Behind the stove.
3. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(b) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(c) Kill Wagner.
(d) Give up his holy studies.
4. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
(c) A scathing look at society.
(d) A true artistic statement.
5. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A priest.
(b) A broker.
(c) A student.
(d) A barrister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
2. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
3. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
4. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
5. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)