|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
(b) Faust is writing a letter to God.
(c) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
(d) Faust is counting his money.
2. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Stifling his creativity.
(b) Giving him his big break.
(c) Sabotaging him on purpose.
(d) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
3. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
4. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
(a) He and God are friends.
(b) He sneaked in behind another angel.
(c) God invited him.
(d) He has to ask God for a favor.
5. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to speak in tongues.
(b) They begin to fall asleep.
(c) They begin to hallucinate.
(d) Three of the men die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
2. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
3. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
4. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
5. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)