|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
(b) He looks down upon them.
(c) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
(d) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
2. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
(a) The grandeur of His presence.
(b) The beauty of His work.
(c) His knowledge.
(d) His compassion.
3. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(b) He can draw Faust away from God.
(c) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(d) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
4. What is Faust's title?
5. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(b) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
(c) The author has decided to end his own life.
(d) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
2. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
3. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
4. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
5. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)