|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Give up his holy studies.
(b) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(c) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(d) Kill Wagner.
2. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
(b) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(c) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
(d) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
3. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
4. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to speak in tongues.
(b) Three of the men die.
(c) They begin to hallucinate.
(d) They begin to fall asleep.
5. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(b) He believes Faust is having an affair.
(c) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(d) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
2. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
3. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
4. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
5. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)