|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(b) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(c) He can draw Faust away from God.
(d) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
2. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
(b) Gold coins.
(c) Drinks he conjured up.
(d) Dried meat.
3. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He sings for them.
(b) He dances for them.
(c) He plays piano for them.
(d) He creates illusions for them.
4. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) He wants to play the lead.
(b) He wants to entertain the audience.
(c) He wants to be seen by the director of a better theater.
(d) He wants to create a grand piece of art.
5. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
(a) He is Faust's student.
(b) He is Faust's cousin.
(c) He is Faust's caretaker.
(d) He is Faust's nephew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
2. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
3. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
4. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
5. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)