|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Faust's Study (I & II) and Auerbach's Tavern in Leipzig.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The sound of children playing.
(b) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
(c) The rising sun.
(d) The church bells.
2. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His relationship with God.
(c) His sanity.
(d) His will to live.
3. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is having an affair.
(b) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(c) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(d) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
4. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are liars.
(b) The people are all heretics.
(c) The people are mocking him.
(d) The people respect him.
5. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A priest.
(b) A barrister.
(c) A broker.
(d) A student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
2. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
3. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
4. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
5. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)