|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
(a) He tells her to grieve for him for the rest of her life.
(b) He tells her to grieve for the appropriate time and then find a new husband.
(c) He tells her that God will punish her if she ever speaks a word against her husband.
(d) He tells her that she deserves to move on immediately.
2. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
(a) In a bottle of wine.
(b) In the water in the cauldron.
(c) In a mirror.
(d) In the fire.
3. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He becomes afraid.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He starts to fear for his sanity.
4. What does Martha warn Mephistopheles about while Gretchen and Faust speak?
(a) She warns him that Faust better not hurt Gretchen.
(b) She warns him to not die a bachelor.
(c) She warns him that Gretchen is on the brink of joining a nunnery.
(d) She warns him that he will be unhappy in their town.
5. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) Visualizes her growing up.
(b) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(c) He lays down in her bed.
(d) He steals an article of clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
2. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
3. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
4. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
5. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)