|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(b) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(c) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(d) A cross hangs over the door.
2. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) The jewelry is gaudy.
(b) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(c) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
(d) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
3. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
(a) Martha's husband is dead.
(b) Faust does not treat her like a simpleton.
(c) Faust finds her attractive.
(d) Mephistopheles remembers her.
4. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is suspicious of all men.
(b) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(c) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(d) She is afraid of the outside world.
5. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) Visualizes her growing up.
(b) He steals an article of clothing.
(c) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(d) He lays down in her bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
2. Why was Gretchen forced to raise her now-deceased sister and take care of the house when she was younger?
3. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
4. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
5. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)