|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is going to kill her one day.
(c) He is jealous of her wealth.
(d) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
2. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(b) She is suspicious of all men.
(c) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(d) She is afraid of the outside world.
3. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He becomes afraid.
4. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) The effects of the witch's potion.
(b) Gifts for the girl.
(c) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(d) The girl's name.
5. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He hints at different times that her husband loved her or did not love her.
(b) He tells her that her husband was a great man and a despicable man.
(c) He tells her that her husband was a homosexual, but probably not.
(d) He tells her that her husband is dead and then alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
2. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
3. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
4. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
5. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)