|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
(b) Gunshot to the head.
(d) Dagger to the heart.
2. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A cross hangs over the door.
(b) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(c) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(d) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
3. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
(a) She does not recognize him as her master.
(b) She hits her baboons.
(c) She spits at Faust.
(d) She tries to renounce her evil ways.
4. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
(a) The Easter hymnals.
(b) The priests doing charitable works.
(c) The sunlight.
(d) A child praying.
5. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will introduce her to Faust.
(b) He will say a prayer for her.
(c) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(d) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
2. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
3. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
4. What is Faust awed by, according to the beginning of "A Forest Cavern"?
5. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)