|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) They are arrested.
(b) They exit through the window.
(c) They are kicked out of the pub.
(d) They vanish.
2. What are Gretchen and Faust doing during "A Summerhouse"?
(a) Making love.
(b) Baking bread.
3. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(b) The jewelry is gaudy.
(c) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
(d) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
4. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They only want to sleep with her.
(b) They pity her because of her poverty.
(c) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(d) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
5. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She will save his soul.
(b) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
(c) She is his daughter.
(d) She holds paradise in her body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
2. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
3. Of what is Faust irrationally jealous in regards to its proximity to Gretchen?
4. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
5. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)