|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
(b) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(c) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(d) He believes Faust is having an affair.
2. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He becomes afraid.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He starts to fear for his sanity.
3. During "A Forest Cavern," who is Faust addressing in the beginning?
(a) A spirit.
4. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
(b) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
(c) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(d) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
5. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) The baboon lets it boil over.
(b) She falls into the fire.
(c) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
(d) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
2. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
3. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
4. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
5. What holiday is being celebrated in "Outside the Town Wall"?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)