|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
(b) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(c) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
(d) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
2. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(b) Give up his holy studies.
(c) Kill Wagner.
(d) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
3. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He becomes afraid.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(d) He falls asleep.
4. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
(a) He will reveal Mephistopheles to every witch in the country.
(b) He will imprison Mephistopheles in his study.
(c) He will leave Mephistopheles.
(d) He will throw Mephistopheles into a church.
5. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She will save his soul.
(b) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
(c) She holds paradise in her body.
(d) She is his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
2. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
3. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
4. Why does Faust fear Mephistopheles's influence over his happiness with Gretchen in "A Cavern"?
5. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)