|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
(a) Martha will sell it for her, and they will split the money.
(b) She will keep it at Martha's house.
(c) Gretchen should give it to the priest again.
(d) She is advised to not show her mother this time.
2. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
(b) The baboon lets it boil over.
(c) She falls into the fire.
(d) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
3. What are Gretchen and Faust doing during "A Summerhouse"?
(b) Making love.
(c) Baking bread.
4. During "A Forest Cavern," who is Faust addressing in the beginning?
(c) A spirit.
5. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is afraid of the outside world.
(b) She is suspicious of all men.
(c) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(d) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
2. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
3. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
4. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
5. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)