|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(b) The people highly respect Faust.
(c) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
(d) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
2. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
(a) Get a marriage proposal.
(b) Seduce him.
(c) Take him to confession.
(d) Get him drunk.
3. What is Faust awed by, according to the beginning of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) He has fallen deeply in love with Gretchen.
(b) Gretchen refuses to be swayed by Mephistopheles.
(c) Gretchen understands his feelings about God.
(d) He has no feelings beyond lust for Gretchen.
4. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He creates illusions for them.
(b) He sings for them.
(c) He dances for them.
(d) He plays piano for them.
5. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is burning his books.
(b) He is writing a suicide note.
(c) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(d) He is reading the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
2. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
3. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
4. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
5. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)