|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Street, A Garden, A Summerhouse, and A Forest Cavern.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is burning his books.
(b) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(c) He is writing a suicide note.
(d) He is reading the Bible.
2. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(b) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(c) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
(d) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
3. Of what is Faust irrationally jealous in regards to its proximity to Gretchen?
(a) Her bed.
(b) The necklace around her neck.
(c) The Body of Christ in Communion.
(d) Her bonnet.
4. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(b) He drowned at sea.
(c) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(d) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
5. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
(a) The girl's name.
(b) A visit to the girl's bedroom.
(c) The girl's ring.
(d) The promise of marriage from the girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
2. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
3. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
4. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
5. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)