|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He tells her that her husband was a great man and a despicable man.
(b) He tells her that her husband was a homosexual, but probably not.
(c) He hints at different times that her husband loved her or did not love her.
(d) He tells her that her husband is dead and then alive.
2. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
(b) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(c) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(d) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
3. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Atonement for her sins.
(b) Mephistopheles's soul.
(c) Forgiveness for Faust.
4. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) In plain sight of Faust.
(b) In the next room.
(c) Under the couch.
(d) Behind the stove.
5. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(b) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(c) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(d) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
2. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
3. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
4. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
5. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)