|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) The jewelry is gaudy.
(b) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
(c) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(d) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
2. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(a) The Qur'an.
(c) Myths about Mesopotamia.
(d) The Odyssey.
3. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
(b) An angel.
(c) An evil spirit.
4. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A priest.
(b) A broker.
(c) A barrister.
(d) A student.
5. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) She feels that she has become Mary Magdalene.
(b) She feels only the Virgin Mary will understand her pain.
(c) She is afraid that she needs protection.
(d) She believes that Jesus will not judge her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
2. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
3. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
4. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
5. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)