|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(b) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(c) He drowned at sea.
(d) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
2. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
(a) She should take a lover.
(b) She should enter a nunnery.
(c) She should become an actress.
(d) She should run away to another town.
3. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(b) Myths about Mesopotamia.
(c) The Odyssey.
(d) The Qur'an.
4. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(b) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(c) A cross hangs over the door.
(d) Faust left his Bible by the door.
5. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A barrister.
(b) A student.
(c) A priest.
(d) A broker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
2. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
3. How does "A Cathedral" end?
4. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
5. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)