|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She killed her mother on purpose.
2. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is dead.
(b) Her husband is in jail.
(c) Her husband is on his way home.
(d) Her husband has joined the militia.
3. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
(a) Her cabinet.
(b) Under her bed.
(c) By the window.
(d) On her pillow.
4. Who is Valentine?
(a) Gretchen's brother.
(b) Gretchen's father.
(c) Gretchen's cousin.
(d) Gretchen's fiance.
5. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
(a) The walls of the cathedral are closing in on her.
(b) The Communion wine has turned to blood.
(c) The giant crucifix is going to fall on her.
(d) The body of Christ is choking her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
2. Who is singing in the church?
3. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
4. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
5. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)