|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(b) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(c) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(d) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
2. What does Valentine not do as he dies?
(a) He calls Gretchen a whore.
(b) He calls a curse down upon Gretchen.
(c) He forgives Gretchen.
(d) He tells her the town will never accept or help Gretchen.
3. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
(a) An evil spirit.
(b) An angel.
4. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(b) They only want to sleep with her.
(c) They pity her because of her poverty.
(d) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
5. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(b) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(c) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(d) He drowned at sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
2. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
3. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
4. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
5. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)