|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
(b) He has renounced God because of her.
(c) He knows her secret.
(d) He poisoned her drink.
2. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
3. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(b) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
(c) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
(d) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
4. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is on his way home.
(b) Her husband is dead.
(c) Her husband is in jail.
(d) Her husband has joined the militia.
5. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
(a) The body of Christ is choking her.
(b) The walls of the cathedral are closing in on her.
(c) The giant crucifix is going to fall on her.
(d) The Communion wine has turned to blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
2. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
3. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
4. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
5. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)