|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
(a) She is advised to not show her mother this time.
(b) Martha will sell it for her, and they will split the money.
(c) Gretchen should give it to the priest again.
(d) She will keep it at Martha's house.
2. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is in jail.
(b) Her husband is dead.
(c) Her husband is on his way home.
(d) Her husband has joined the militia.
3. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A cross hangs over the door.
(b) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(c) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(d) Faust left his Bible by the door.
4. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She killed her mother on purpose.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
5. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They only want to sleep with her.
(b) They pity her because of her poverty.
(c) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(d) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
2. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
3. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
4. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
5. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)