|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is jealous of her wealth.
(c) He is going to kill her one day.
(d) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
2. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) Behind the stove.
(b) In plain sight of Faust.
(c) Under the couch.
(d) In the next room.
3. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
(a) God punishing the wicked.
(b) God forgiving the wicked.
(c) Jesus raising the dead.
(d) Jesus healing the sick.
4. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
(b) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(c) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(d) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
5. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She wishes to become a nun.
(b) She is afraid of men.
(c) She is attracted to Faust.
(d) She does not like to go outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
2. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
3. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
4. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
5. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)