|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Atonement for her sins.
(c) Mephistopheles's soul.
(d) Forgiveness for Faust.
2. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
3. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He poisoned her drink.
(b) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
(c) He knows her secret.
(d) He has renounced God because of her.
4. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
(a) Her rape by Mephistopheles.
(b) Her excommunication.
(c) The death of her mother.
(d) The murder of Martha.
5. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Kill Wagner.
(b) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(c) Give up his holy studies.
(d) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
2. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
3. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
4. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
5. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)