|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
(a) He thinks Faust raped Gretchen.
(b) He is protecting Gretchen's honor.
(c) Mephistopheles cast a spell on Valentine to manipulate him into a duel.
(d) Faust insulted him.
2. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She is afraid of men.
(b) She is attracted to Faust.
(c) She wishes to become a nun.
(d) She does not like to go outside.
3. What does Valentine not do as he dies?
(a) He forgives Gretchen.
(b) He calls a curse down upon Gretchen.
(c) He calls Gretchen a whore.
(d) He tells her the town will never accept or help Gretchen.
4. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(b) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(c) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
(d) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
5. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(b) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(c) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(d) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
2. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
3. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
4. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
5. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)