|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
(b) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
(c) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(d) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
2. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(b) Atonement for her sins.
(c) Mephistopheles's soul.
(d) Forgiveness for Faust.
3. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
(a) She will keep it at Martha's house.
(b) Gretchen should give it to the priest again.
(c) She is advised to not show her mother this time.
(d) Martha will sell it for her, and they will split the money.
4. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is in jail.
(b) Her husband is dead.
(c) Her husband is on his way home.
(d) Her husband has joined the militia.
5. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
(b) She killed her mother on purpose.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
2. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
3. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
4. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
5. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)