|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
(b) He resents God.
(c) He lusts after a village girl.
(d) He is unhappy with life.
2. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
(a) Her cabinet.
(b) By the window.
(c) Under her bed.
(d) On her pillow.
3. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
(b) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
(c) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
(d) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
4. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(b) He steals an article of clothing.
(c) Visualizes her growing up.
(d) He lays down in her bed.
5. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(b) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(c) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(d) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
2. What does Valentine not do as he dies?
3. Who is singing in the church?
4. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
5. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)