|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
(b) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(c) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(d) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
2. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) St. Anthony.
(d) Jesus Christ.
3. Who is singing in the church?
(a) The altarboys.
(c) The choir.
(d) The priest.
4. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(b) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(c) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(d) A cross hangs over the door.
5. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
(a) He is furious with her.
(b) He is sympathetic towards her.
(c) He feels nothing but love and understanding for her.
(d) He feels a murderous hatred towards her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Valentine?
2. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
3. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
4. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
5. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)