|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They only want to sleep with her.
(b) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
(c) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(d) They pity her because of her poverty.
2. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He knows her secret.
(b) He has renounced God because of her.
(c) He poisoned her drink.
(d) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
3. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) St. Anthony.
4. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(b) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(c) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(d) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
5. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He becomes afraid.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He starts to fear for his sanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
2. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
3. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
4. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
5. What is Gretchen's secret?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)