|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does "A Cathedral" end?
(a) Gretchen faints.
(b) Gretchen attempts suicide.
(c) Gretchen dies.
(d) Gretchen renounces God.
2. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Atonement for her sins.
(c) Mephistopheles's soul.
(d) Forgiveness for Faust.
3. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They pity her because of her poverty.
(b) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(c) They only want to sleep with her.
(d) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
4. Who is singing in the church?
(a) The altarboys.
(b) The priest.
(d) The choir.
5. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He becomes afraid.
(c) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(d) He gets drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
2. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
3. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
4. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
5. What is Gretchen attending during "A Cathedral"?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)