|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Kill Wagner.
(b) Give up his holy studies.
(c) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(d) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
2. What does Valentine not do as he dies?
(a) He calls a curse down upon Gretchen.
(b) He calls Gretchen a whore.
(c) He forgives Gretchen.
(d) He tells her the town will never accept or help Gretchen.
3. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A barrister.
(b) A broker.
(c) A priest.
(d) A student.
4. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Drinks he conjured up.
(b) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
(c) Gold coins.
(d) Dried meat.
5. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
(c) She is dying.
(d) She killed her mother on purpose.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
2. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
3. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
4. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
5. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)