|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(b) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(c) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(d) A cross hangs over the door.
2. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
(a) An evil spirit.
(c) An angel.
3. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He sings for them.
(b) He dances for them.
(c) He plays piano for them.
(d) He creates illusions for them.
4. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) She believes that Jesus will not judge her.
(b) She feels that she has become Mary Magdalene.
(c) She is afraid that she needs protection.
(d) She feels only the Virgin Mary will understand her pain.
5. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Pillage a neighboring village.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Leave for another country.
(d) Attack each other with knives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
2. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
3. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
4. What does Faust attempt to bring Gretchen during "The Street Outside Gretchen's Door"?
5. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)