|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does the man who visits Bazarov have?
2. What was Fenitchka's mother's job at the rooming house?
3. What does Bazarov do while Arkady is away from the farm?
4. Why can Pavel not make suggestions about how to run the farm?
5. Who is the guest at dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Turgenev's writing style. How would you describe Turgenev's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Turgenev's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Fathers and Sons is part of the philosophical and political genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Fathers and Sons genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Fathers and Sons help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Fathers and Sons?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Russia culture.
1) What influence have Russia had on the world as a whole? What influence have they had on America?
2) What famous people have come from Russia? What influence have Russia had in the arts and in politics?
3) What is Turgenev's view on his motherland is. If he happy about the changes occurring in his country?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)