|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arina react to seeing her son again?
2. What does Bazarov tell Arkady about?
3. From what point of view is the story told in?
4. How long do Arkady and Bazarov stay at Nikolskoe?
5. Where does Bazarov take a walk the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between Arkady, Bazorov and the older characters. How different were the experiences both generations went through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Do you think Arkady and Bazarrov blame characters like Pavel for the state of Russia? Do you think the generational gap expressed in Fathers and Sons was particuarly wide during this time or is wide a generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Turgenev use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Bazarov examine the way Turgenev uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)