|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other character has remarried?
2. What does Bazarov have to perform on the man?
3. Why does Vassily decide not to tell his wife that their son is leaving?
4. How many weddings take place at Nikolai's farm?
5. What does Bazarov apologize to Anna about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Bazarov and Anna.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between Arkady, Bazorov and the older characters. How different were the experiences both generations went through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Do you think Arkady and Bazarrov blame characters like Pavel for the state of Russia? Do you think the generational gap expressed in Fathers and Sons was particuarly wide during this time or is wide a generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are redemption through love, generational gaps and true human nature. Take one of these themes and discuss how Turgenev expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s Russia?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)