|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bazarov have to perform on the man?
2. How does Arina react to seeing her son again?
3. What illness does the man who visits Bazarov have?
4. What does Bazarov promise his father?
5. Why does Vassily feel so uneasy in this section
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Russia culture.
1) What influence have Russia had on the world as a whole? What influence have they had on America?
2) What famous people have come from Russia? What influence have Russia had in the arts and in politics?
3) What is Turgenev's view on his motherland is. If he happy about the changes occurring in his country?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between Arkady, Bazorov and the older characters. How different were the experiences both generations went through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Do you think Arkady and Bazarrov blame characters like Pavel for the state of Russia? Do you think the generational gap expressed in Fathers and Sons was particuarly wide during this time or is wide a generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are redemption through love, generational gaps and true human nature. Take one of these themes and discuss how Turgenev expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s Russia?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)