Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say flowers peep serenely at us with?
2. What does Anna say Bazarov's feelings towards Katya are?
3. How does Arina react to seeing her son again?
4. Why does Vassily decide not to tell his wife that their son is leaving?
5. What does Bazarov tell Arkady about?
Essay Topic 1
The Fathers and Sons is written in the third person. Why do you think Turgenev chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine nihilism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why do the students think that nihilism became a important movement in 1850s Russia? Why do you think the younger generation got sick of liberal attitudes? How did liberalism and nihilism evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does Turgenev express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)