|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of nature does the author say the flowers tells us of?
2. Who has the final word in the story?
3. What do Bazarov and Arkady have a heated discussion about later that afternoon?
4. Who did Vassily use to serve as a doctor?
5. Where does Arkady say he is going when he leaves to visit Katya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine nihilism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why do the students think that nihilism became a important movement in 1850s Russia? Why do you think the younger generation got sick of liberal attitudes? How did liberalism and nihilism evolve?
Essay Topic 2
In 1992 Fathers and Sons was made into a film starring Jeff Goldblum and directed by Paul Mones. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant over one hundred years later? Do you think the ideas expressed are timeless and universal? What issues in the novel do you think are unlikely to be understood by today's audiences?
Essay Topic 3
The Fathers and Sons is written in the third person. Why do you think Turgenev chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)