|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bazarov accuse Arkady of being when he states his wishes for his father to marry Fenitchka?
2. Which characters in this chapter are grieving?
3. How old was Fenitchka when she arrived at Nikolai's house?
4. What time in the morning does the duel take place?
5. Where did Nikolai meet Fenitchka's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main themes in the novel are redemption through love, generational gaps and true human nature. Take one of these themes and discuss how Turgenev expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false; The Fathers and Sons foreshadows communism and Bazarov is an early example of a Bolshevik. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Turgenev's writing style. How would you describe Turgenev's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Turgenev's style give to the story?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)