|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the princess?
2. What is Bazarov's opinion on the aristocracy?
3. Where do Arkady and Bazarov leave for the next morning?
4. Who does Arkady say changed Pavel's life?
5. In what city does Arkady attend university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vassily's profession.
2. How does Barradov struggle with his feelings towards Anna?
3. How does Fenirchka react to Pavel's presence in chapter 8?
4. What do you think changes Arkady's attitude towards his father?
5. How does Bazarov react to his imminent death?
6. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
7. In what way does Bazarov upset Pavel?
8. How does Arkady claim he has changed since falling in love with Katya?
9. What prompts Arkady to declare his love for Katya?
10. What happens at the governor's ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Turgenev's writing style. How would you describe Turgenev's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Turgenev's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false; The Fathers and Sons foreshadows communism and Bazarov is an early example of a Bolshevik. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Examine nihilism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why do the students think that nihilism became a important movement in 1850s Russia? Why do you think the younger generation got sick of liberal attitudes? How did liberalism and nihilism evolve?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)