|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bazarov make fun of after dinner?
2. What kind of boy does Arkady say his father was?
3. What does Anna declare when Bazarov tells her he is leaving?
4. Until what age did Nikolai receive home schooling?
5. How far from the postal station is Nikolai's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Turgenev end his novel?
2. How do Anna and Katya react to Arkady and Bazarov's presence?
3. Why does Pavel challenge Bazarov to a duel?
4. In what way does Nikolai show jealously towards his brother Pavel in chapter 9?
5. What comment do you think Turgenev is making about love in this book?
6. Summarize Fathers and Sons.
7. What is Pavel's argument in support of aristocracy?
8. Describe Vassily's profession.
9. What happens at the governor's ball?
10. What prompts Arkady to declare his love for Katya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Turgenev's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
In 1992 Fathers and Sons was made into a film starring Jeff Goldblum and directed by Paul Mones. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant over one hundred years later? Do you think the ideas expressed are timeless and universal? What issues in the novel do you think are unlikely to be understood by today's audiences?
Essay Topic 3
Exanine the differences between Arkady and Bazarov's upbringings. Do you think it makes a big difference to his relationship with his father that Arkady mother died early? How has Vassily's doting affected Bazarov's character? Were they are true nihilists or did their upbringings prevent them from genuinely thinking in this way?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)