Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna declare when Bazarov tells her he is leaving?
2. What kind of alcohol do Arkady and Bazarov drink at Kukshin's house?
3. How is Pavel related to Arkady?
4. What country did Pavel go to when his affair with the princess was over?
5. What is the name of Arkady's cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna respond to Bazarov's declaration of love?
2. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
3. How do Baradov's parents react when they see their son for the first time in three years in chapter 20?
4. How does fate play a part in this section?
5. Describe the duel between Pavel and Bazarov.
6. Describe the point of view Turgenev has used in the novel.
7. Why is Nikolai so upset at the beginning of chapter 11?
8. How does Arkady claim he has changed since falling in love with Katya?
9. In what way have times been hard for Nikolai in recent times?
10. What plans do Arkady and Bazarov make in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Fathers and Sons is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Fathers and Sons that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Turgenev use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Bazarov examine the way Turgenev uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)