|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Pavel go to when his affair with the princess was over?
2. What does Pavel say he can endure no longer?
3. What puts Bazarov off Anna?
4. What is the name of Nikolai's son?
5. Who does Arkady say changed Pavel's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the relationship between father and son strained in the first section?
2. In what way were Pavel and Nikolai different as children?
3. In what way does Nikolai prove he is not a farmer at heart?
4. How do Anna and Katya react to Arkady and Bazarov's presence?
5. How does Arkady know that Anna want him?
6. How does Arkady claim he has changed since falling in love with Katya?
7. What suggestion is there in chapter 20 that Bazarov and Arkady maybe changing their perspective on life?
8. What does Bazarov want to happen to Russia?
9. How did Pavel's relationship with the princess work out?
10. In what way could Bazarov's love for Anna be seen as ironic?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Turgenev's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Fathers and Sons is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Fathers and Sons that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Exanine the differences between Arkady and Bazarov's upbringings. Do you think it makes a big difference to his relationship with his father that Arkady mother died early? How has Vassily's doting affected Bazarov's character? Were they are true nihilists or did their upbringings prevent them from genuinely thinking in this way?
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)