|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main protagonist?
2. How is Pavel related to Arkady?
3. What does Bazarov send Anna in this chapter?
4. What is the name of Arkady's cousin?
5. What is the only thing that Arkady says Bazarov cares for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Turgenev sometimes addresses the reader directly?
2. Describe Nikolai's life up until the story's present.
3. In what way does Vasily show respect for his son in chapter 20?
4. What happens to all the major characters by the end of the story?
5. Why does Arkady prefer Katya to Anna?
6. How does Barradov feel about being rejected by Anna?
7. How do Anna and Katya react to Arkady and Bazarov's presence?
8. What does Bazarov want to happen to Russia?
9. What does Arkady like about Katya?
10. What happens at the governor's ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fathers and Sons is written in the third person. Why do you think Turgenev chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Russia culture.
1) What influence have Russia had on the world as a whole? What influence have they had on America?
2) What famous people have come from Russia? What influence have Russia had in the arts and in politics?
3) What is Turgenev's view on his motherland is. If he happy about the changes occurring in his country?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Turgenev use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)