|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Anna sister?
2. What does Arkady call the man the princess was married to?
3. What does Bazarov ask the two young boys for?
4. What does Pavel say will happen if people discard things like the aristocracy?
5. Who does Arkady say changed Pavel's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Fathers and Sons.
2. What plans do Arkady and Bazarov make in this chapter?
3. In what way does Bazarov prove he is a man of honor in chapter 24?
4. In what way have times been hard for Nikolai in recent times?
5. How do Bazarov's parents react to his death?
6. Describe the duel between Pavel and Bazarov.
7. How does Turgenev end his novel?
8. Describe Vassily's profession.
9. Describe the point of view Turgenev has used in the novel.
10. How do Pavel and Bazarov's opinion of the Russian aristocracy differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine nihilism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why do the students think that nihilism became a important movement in 1850s Russia? Why do you think the younger generation got sick of liberal attitudes? How did liberalism and nihilism evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1850s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think Russia was going through a transitional phase in the the 1850s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Turgenev's writing style. How would you describe Turgenev's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Turgenev's style give to the story?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)