|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What woman do the two young men meet at the ball?
2. Who does Arkady say changed Pavel's life?
3. What is the name of Nikolai's servant?
4. Where is Nikolai waiting?
5. Who overhears Bazarov lecturing Arkady on old ways of thinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to all the major characters by the end of the story?
2. How do Anna and Katya react to Arkady and Bazarov's presence?
3. In what does Arkady show he is not the nihilist he wants to be?
4. How does Bazarov react to his imminent death?
5. In what way does Nikolai prove he is not a farmer at heart?
6. How does Barradov feel about being rejected by Anna?
7. Why does Arkady prefer Katya to Anna?
8. How does Turgenev end his novel?
9. How does Bazardov react to Anna's rejection?
10. How does Bazarov's situation change at the end of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Turgenev use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does Turgenev express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
The Fathers and Sons is part of the philosophical and political genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Fathers and Sons genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Fathers and Sons help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Fathers and Sons?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)