|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of boy does Arkady say his father was?
2. What does Arkady call the man the princess was married to?
3. What does Bazarov ask Anna in his note?
4. Who overhears Bazarov lecturing Arkady on old ways of thinking?
5. Where does Anna invite the two young men?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does fate play a part in this section?
2. What is Pavel's argument in support of aristocracy?
3. In what way is the generational gap between the two young men and Pavel and Nikolai evident in chapter 10?
4. How did Pavel meet the Russian princess?
5. In what way is the relationship between father and son strained in the first section?
6. How do Baradov's parents react when they see their son for the first time in three years in chapter 20?
7. Describe Nikolai's parents.
8. Describe Nikolai's life up until the story's present.
9. How does Arkady know that Anna want him?
10. How does Barradov struggle with his feelings towards Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fathers and Sons is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Fathers and Sons that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
The main themes in the novel are redemption through love, generational gaps and true human nature. Take one of these themes and discuss how Turgenev expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Russia culture.
1) What influence have Russia had on the world as a whole? What influence have they had on America?
2) What famous people have come from Russia? What influence have Russia had in the arts and in politics?
3) What is Turgenev's view on his motherland is. If he happy about the changes occurring in his country?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)