|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What woman do the two young men meet at the ball?
2. What is the name of Nikolai's brother?
3. Who is the first awake in the morning?
4. How does Platonitch amuse the ladies?
5. Where does Anna invite the two young men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nikolai's life up until the story's present.
2. In what way does Nikolai prove he is not a farmer at heart?
3. Describe the point of view Turgenev has used in the novel.
4. Why is Nikolai so upset at the beginning of chapter 11?
5. What happens to all the major characters by the end of the story?
6. How does Bazarov and Arkady's ideas begin to differ in chapter 9?
7. What plans do Arkady and Bazarov make in this chapter?
8. How does fate play a part in this section?
9. What was happening in Russia at the time to bring about hardships to land owners like Nikolai
10. What suggestion is there in chapter 20 that Bazarov and Arkady maybe changing their perspective on life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
The main themes in the novel are redemption through love, generational gaps and true human nature. Take one of these themes and discuss how Turgenev expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in Russian provinces.
1) What meaning does Russian provinces bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Russian provinces?
2) How different do you think today's Russian provinces is to the Russian provinces in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Russian provinces?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)