|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nikolai waiting?
2. Who do Arkady and Bazarov meet outside Kolyazin's office?
3. What is the name of Arkady's cousin?
4. What does Bazorov say the new Russia will be?
5. What is the name of Nikolai's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arkady infuriate Bazarov in chapter 10?
2. What do you think changes Arkady's attitude towards his father?
3. How does Arkady know that Anna want him?
4. Describe Nikolai's life up until the story's present.
5. In what way does Nikolai show jealously towards his brother Pavel in chapter 9?
6. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
7. How does Arkady claim he has changed since falling in love with Katya?
8. In what way is the relationship between father and son strained in the first section?
9. What happens to all the major characters by the end of the story?
10. In what way does Bazarov upset Pavel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1850s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think Russia was going through a transitional phase in the the 1850s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between Arkady, Bazorov and the older characters. How different were the experiences both generations went through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Do you think Arkady and Bazarrov blame characters like Pavel for the state of Russia? Do you think the generational gap expressed in Fathers and Sons was particuarly wide during this time or is wide a generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Turgenev's writing style. How would you describe Turgenev's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Turgenev's style give to the story?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)