|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arkady say Pavel was a victim of?
2. How far from the postal station is Nikolai's home?
3. What does Bazorov admit to Anna?
4. What do Pavel and Nikolai share?
5. Where does Anna ask Bazarov to accompany her the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Anna and Katya react to Arkady and Bazarov's presence?
2. How did Pavel meet the Russian princess?
3. In what way does Bazarov upset Pavel?
4. How do Pavel and Bazarov's opinion of the Russian aristocracy differ?
5. Why do you think Turgenev sometimes addresses the reader directly?
6. How does Anna respond to Bazarov's declaration of love?
7. What do you think changes Arkady's attitude towards his father?
8. Summarize Fathers and Sons.
9. How does Bazarov react to his imminent death?
10. In what way does Vasily show respect for his son in chapter 20?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Turgenev's writing style. How would you describe Turgenev's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Turgenev's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Bazarov and Anna.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Turgenev's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 1,720 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)