|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna ask Bazarov to accompany her the next morning?
2. What country did Pavel go to when his affair with the princess was over?
3. What do Pavel and Nikolai share?
4. Who has Arkady brought with him?
5. What do Pavel and Nikolai talk about when the young men leave the dinner table?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna respond to Bazarov's declaration of love?
2. How does Bazarov contract typhus?
3. What comment do you think Turgenev is making about love in this book?
4. Describe Nikolai's parents.
5. How does Arkady infuriate Bazarov in chapter 10?
6. What happens at the governor's ball?
7. What plans do Arkady and Bazarov make in this chapter?
8. How does Barradov feel about being rejected by Anna?
9. What prompts Arkady to declare his love for Katya?
10. In what way does Nikolai show jealously towards his brother Pavel in chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Turgenev's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Turgenev's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are redemption through love, generational gaps and true human nature. Take one of these themes and discuss how Turgenev expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s Russia?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)