|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What four things does Pavel say that Bazarov derides?
2. Who in the household find a friend in Bazorov?
3. What does Anna declare when Bazarov tells her he is leaving?
4. What do Pavel and Nikolai share?
5. What does Bazarov ask the two young boys for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barradov struggle with his feelings towards Anna?
2. What is Nikolai's current state?
3. In what way were Pavel and Nikolai different as children?
4. How do Baradov's parents react when they see their son for the first time in three years in chapter 20?
5. What do you think changes Arkady's attitude towards his father?
6. How does Bazarov and Arkady's ideas begin to differ in chapter 9?
7. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
8. How do Bazarov's parents react to his death?
9. What do Anna and Bazarov say to each when they are alone in chapter 25?
10. How does Arkady infuriate Bazarov in chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between Arkady, Bazorov and the older characters. How different were the experiences both generations went through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Do you think Arkady and Bazarrov blame characters like Pavel for the state of Russia? Do you think the generational gap expressed in Fathers and Sons was particuarly wide during this time or is wide a generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 2
Exanine the differences between Arkady and Bazarov's upbringings. Do you think it makes a big difference to his relationship with his father that Arkady mother died early? How has Vassily's doting affected Bazarov's character? Were they are true nihilists or did their upbringings prevent them from genuinely thinking in this way?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are redemption through love, generational gaps and true human nature. Take one of these themes and discuss how Turgenev expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s Russia?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)