|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young woman living with Nikolai?
2. What do Pavel and Nikolai agree a distance between?
3. What does Bazarov call for the destruction of?
4. What do Pavel and Nikolai talk about when the young men leave the dinner table?
5. What does Pavel say will happen if people discard things like the aristocracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans do Arkady and Bazarov make in this chapter?
2. How does Bazarov react to his imminent death?
3. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
4. How did Pavel's relationship with the princess work out?
5. How does Turgenev end his novel?
6. Describe the duel between Pavel and Bazarov.
7. Why does Bazarov decide to go home?
8. In what way have times been hard for Nikolai in recent times?
9. What was happening in Russia at the time to bring about hardships to land owners like Nikolai
10. Describe Nikolai's parents.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Turgenev use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does Turgenev express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Turgenev use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Bazarov examine the way Turgenev uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)