Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna declare when Bazarov tells her he is leaving?
2. What kind of alcohol do Arkady and Bazarov drink at Kukshin's house?
3. How is Pavel related to Arkady?
4. What country did Pavel go to when his affair with the princess was over?
5. What is the name of Arkady's cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna respond to Bazarov's declaration of love?
2. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
3. How do Baradov's parents react when they see their son for the first time in three years in chapter 20?
4. How does fate play a part in this section?
5. Describe the duel between Pavel and Bazarov.
6. Describe the point of view Turgenev has used in the novel.
7. Why is Nikolai so upset at the beginning of chapter 11?
8. How does Arkady claim he has changed since falling in love with Katya?
9. In what way have times been hard for Nikolai in recent times?
10. What plans do Arkady and Bazarov make in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set in Russian provinces.
1) What meaning does Russian provinces bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Russian provinces?
2) How different do you think today's Russian provinces is to the Russian provinces in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Russian provinces?
Essay Topic 2
Fathers and Sons is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Fathers and Sons that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between Arkady, Bazorov and the older characters. How different were the experiences both generations went through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Do you think Arkady and Bazarrov blame characters like Pavel for the state of Russia? Do you think the generational gap expressed in Fathers and Sons was particuarly wide during this time or is wide a generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)