|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Arkady brought with him?
2. Where does Victor invite the two young men?
3. What puts Bazarov off Anna?
4. How does the author say that Pavel conducts himself?
5. What is the name of Nikolai's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bazarov decide to go home?
2. Describe Nikolai's parents.
3. What happens at the governor's ball?
4. What does Bazarov want to happen to Russia?
5. In what way does Bazarov upset Pavel?
6. In what way does Vasily show respect for his son in chapter 20?
7. How does Barradov feel about being rejected by Anna?
8. How does Arkady know that Anna want him?
9. In what way could Bazarov's love for Anna be seen as ironic?
10. How does fate play a part in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine nihilism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why do the students think that nihilism became a important movement in 1850s Russia? Why do you think the younger generation got sick of liberal attitudes? How did liberalism and nihilism evolve?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in Russian provinces.
1) What meaning does Russian provinces bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Russian provinces?
2) How different do you think today's Russian provinces is to the Russian provinces in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Russian provinces?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)