|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nikolai say would frown on his relationship with Fenitchka?
2. Where do Arkady and Bazarov leave for the next morning?
3. What does Bazorov admit to Anna?
4. What do Pavel and Nikolai agree a distance between?
5. What kind of property does Nikolai own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pavel's relationship with the princess work out?
2. How does Bazarov react to his imminent death?
3. How do Baradov's parents react when they see their son for the first time in three years in chapter 20?
4. How does Bazarov's situation change at the end of this section?
5. In what way does Vasily show respect for his son in chapter 20?
6. How do Anna and Katya react to Arkady and Bazarov's presence?
7. In what way have times been hard for Nikolai in recent times?
8. What does Bazarov do during his walk around the farm?
9. What happens to all the major characters by the end of the story?
10. Why does Pavel challenge Bazarov to a duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fathers and Sons is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Fathers and Sons that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1850s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think Russia was going through a transitional phase in the the 1850s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
In 1992 Fathers and Sons was made into a film starring Jeff Goldblum and directed by Paul Mones. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant over one hundred years later? Do you think the ideas expressed are timeless and universal? What issues in the novel do you think are unlikely to be understood by today's audiences?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)