|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Anna's neighbor?
2. What was Nikolai's father's ranking in the army?
3. Which character supports Pavel's argument?
4. What does Bazarov ask Anna in his note?
5. What decade in the 19th century is the novel set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the point of view Turgenev has used in the novel.
2. In what does Arkady show he is not the nihilist he wants to be?
3. What happens at the governor's ball?
4. What does Bazarov want to happen to Russia?
5. How did Pavel's relationship with the princess work out?
6. How does Bazarov contract typhus?
7. Why is Nikolai so upset at the beginning of chapter 11?
8. How does Arkady infuriate Bazarov in chapter 10?
9. How does Bazarov react to his imminent death?
10. How do Anna and Katya react to Arkady and Bazarov's presence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between Arkady, Bazorov and the older characters. How different were the experiences both generations went through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Do you think Arkady and Bazarrov blame characters like Pavel for the state of Russia? Do you think the generational gap expressed in Fathers and Sons was particuarly wide during this time or is wide a generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Turgenev's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in Russian provinces.
1) What meaning does Russian provinces bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Russian provinces?
2) How different do you think today's Russian provinces is to the Russian provinces in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Russian provinces?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)