|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pavel's opinion on the aristocracy?
2. When does Bazarov tell Anna he will be leaving?
3. What does Arkady say that people have no right to yield to?
4. How is Pavel related to Arkady?
5. Where Pavel move to when he heard of the princess's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does fate play a part in this section?
2. What does Arkady like about Katya?
3. In what way could Bazarov's love for Anna be seen as ironic?
4. In way does Bazarov contradict his nihilistic beliefs in this section?
5. Describe the point of view Turgenev has used in the novel.
6. How does Arkady know that Anna want him?
7. How does Turgenev end his novel?
8. Summarize Fathers and Sons.
9. How do Anna and Katya react to Arkady and Bazarov's presence?
10. How did Nikolai meet Fenitchka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Exanine the differences between Arkady and Bazarov's upbringings. Do you think it makes a big difference to his relationship with his father that Arkady mother died early? How has Vassily's doting affected Bazarov's character? Were they are true nihilists or did their upbringings prevent them from genuinely thinking in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Turgenev's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
The Fathers and Sons is part of the philosophical and political genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Fathers and Sons genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Fathers and Sons help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Fathers and Sons?
This section contains 1,682 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)