|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Platonitch amuse the ladies?
2. What is the name of Nikolai's farm?
3. What kind of property does Nikolai own?
4. What four things does Pavel say that Bazarov derides?
5. What puts Bazarov off Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way has Barazov's presence at the farm created tension?
2. How does Bazarov contract typhus?
3. In what does Arkady show he is not the nihilist he wants to be?
4. How does Arkady infuriate Bazarov in chapter 10?
5. What plans do Arkady and Bazarov make in this chapter?
6. Why do you think Turgenev sometimes addresses the reader directly?
7. Why does Bazarov decide to go home?
8. How does Barradov feel about being rejected by Anna?
9. How do Pavel and Bazarov's opinion of the Russian aristocracy differ?
10. In what way does Nikolai show jealously towards his brother Pavel in chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Turgenev's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Turgenev use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
The Fathers and Sons is written in the third person. Why do you think Turgenev chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)