|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bazarov want to destroy all policies and principles?
2. Who does Nikolai meet whilst out on his walk?
3. What does Anna declare when Bazarov tells her he is leaving?
4. What is the name of the main protagonist?
5. In whose honor is the ball being held?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Bazarov prove he is a man of honor in chapter 24?
2. In what way does Bazarov upset Pavel?
3. How does Bazarov contract typhus?
4. How does Barradov struggle with his feelings towards Anna?
5. How do Anna and Katya react to Arkady and Bazarov's presence?
6. Describe Nikolai's life up until the story's present.
7. How does Turgenev end his novel?
8. Describe the duel between Pavel and Bazarov.
9. How does Anna respond to Bazarov's declaration of love?
10. Describe Nikolai's parents.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fathers and Sons is part of the philosophical and political genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Fathers and Sons genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Fathers and Sons help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Fathers and Sons?
Essay Topic 2
Examine nihilism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why do the students think that nihilism became a important movement in 1850s Russia? Why do you think the younger generation got sick of liberal attitudes? How did liberalism and nihilism evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between Arkady, Bazorov and the older characters. How different were the experiences both generations went through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Do you think Arkady and Bazarrov blame characters like Pavel for the state of Russia? Do you think the generational gap expressed in Fathers and Sons was particuarly wide during this time or is wide a generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)