|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bazarov ask the two young boys for?
2. What does Nikolai say people should do instead of destroy?
3. Where will Bazarov go from Arkady's cousin's house?
4. Who does Nikolai say would frown on his relationship with Fenitchka?
5. In what city does Arkady attend university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arkady prefer Katya to Anna?
2. In what way could Bazarov's love for Anna be seen as ironic?
3. How does Bazarov contract typhus?
4. How does Barradov struggle with his feelings towards Anna?
5. How does Fenirchka react to Pavel's presence in chapter 8?
6. Describe Nikolai's life up until the story's present.
7. How did Pavel meet the Russian princess?
8. How does Arkady claim he has changed since falling in love with Katya?
9. How does Arkady know that Anna want him?
10. Describe Vassily's profession.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does Turgenev express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
The Fathers and Sons is written in the third person. Why do you think Turgenev chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Turgenev use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Bazarov examine the way Turgenev uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)