|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pavel's opinion on the aristocracy?
2. Why does Arkady's comment infuriate Pavel?
3. What decade in the 19th century is the novel set?
4. What do Pavel and Nikolai talk about when the young men leave the dinner table?
5. When does Bazarov tell Anna he will be leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does fate play a part in this section?
2. How does Anna respond to Bazarov's declaration of love?
3. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
4. Describe the point of view Turgenev has used in the novel.
5. How do Bazarov's parents react to his death?
6. In what way does Vasily show respect for his son in chapter 20?
7. How does Bazardov react to Anna's rejection?
8. In what does Arkady show he is not the nihilist he wants to be?
9. How does Bazarov and Arkady's ideas begin to differ in chapter 9?
10. What is Pavel's argument in support of aristocracy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fathers and Sons is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Fathers and Sons that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Turgenev use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between Arkady, Bazorov and the older characters. How different were the experiences both generations went through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Do you think Arkady and Bazarrov blame characters like Pavel for the state of Russia? Do you think the generational gap expressed in Fathers and Sons was particuarly wide during this time or is wide a generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)