Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna declare when Bazarov tells her he is leaving?
2. What kind of alcohol do Arkady and Bazarov drink at Kukshin's house?
3. How is Pavel related to Arkady?
4. What country did Pavel go to when his affair with the princess was over?
5. What is the name of Arkady's cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna respond to Bazarov's declaration of love?
2. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
3. How do Baradov's parents react when they see their son for the first time in three years in chapter 20?
4. How does fate play a part in this section?
5. Describe the duel between Pavel and Bazarov.
6. Describe the point of view Turgenev has used in the novel.
7. Why is Nikolai so upset at the beginning of chapter 11?
8. How does Arkady claim he has changed since falling in love with Katya?
9. In what way have times been hard for Nikolai in recent times?
10. What plans do Arkady and Bazarov make in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
The Fathers and Sons is part of the philosophical and political genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Fathers and Sons genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Fathers and Sons help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Fathers and Sons?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Turgenev use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Bazarov examine the way Turgenev uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are redemption through love, generational gaps and true human nature. Take one of these themes and discuss how Turgenev expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s Russia?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)