|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna ask Bazarov to accompany her the next morning?
2. What does Nikolai do after dinner?
3. Who in the household find a friend in Bazorov?
4. Where is Nikolai waiting?
5. What kind of property does Nikolai own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
2. What does Bazarov want to happen to Russia?
3. In what way does Bazarov prove he is a man of honor in chapter 24?
4. How did Nikolai meet Fenitchka?
5. Why does Pavel challenge Bazarov to a duel?
6. In what way could Bazarov's love for Anna be seen as ironic?
7. Why does Bazarov decide to go home?
8. What suggestion is there in chapter 20 that Bazarov and Arkady maybe changing their perspective on life?
9. How does Bazarov's situation change at the end of this section?
10. How do Bazarov's parents react to his death?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Turgenev use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false; The Fathers and Sons foreshadows communism and Bazarov is an early example of a Bolshevik. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Fathers and Sons is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Fathers and Sons that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
This section contains 1,587 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)