|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bazarov want frogs?
2. What woman do the two young men meet at the ball?
3. What does Bazarov send Anna in this chapter?
4. Until what age did Nikolai receive home schooling?
5. Who do Arkady and Bazarov meet outside Kolyazin's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bazarov contract typhus?
2. How did Pavel meet the Russian princess?
3. Summarize Fathers and Sons.
4. What happens at the governor's ball?
5. In what way does Bazarov upset Pavel?
6. How did Pavel's relationship with the princess work out?
7. Describe the duel between Pavel and Bazarov.
8. Why does Pavel challenge Bazarov to a duel?
9. Why does Arkady prefer Katya to Anna?
10. How do Pavel and Bazarov's opinion of the Russian aristocracy differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Russia culture.
1) What influence have Russia had on the world as a whole? What influence have they had on America?
2) What famous people have come from Russia? What influence have Russia had in the arts and in politics?
3) What is Turgenev's view on his motherland is. If he happy about the changes occurring in his country?
Essay Topic 2
Exanine the differences between Arkady and Bazarov's upbringings. Do you think it makes a big difference to his relationship with his father that Arkady mother died early? How has Vassily's doting affected Bazarov's character? Were they are true nihilists or did their upbringings prevent them from genuinely thinking in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Turgenev use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)