Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna declare when Bazarov tells her he is leaving?
2. What kind of alcohol do Arkady and Bazarov drink at Kukshin's house?
3. How is Pavel related to Arkady?
4. What country did Pavel go to when his affair with the princess was over?
5. What is the name of Arkady's cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna respond to Bazarov's declaration of love?
2. Why does Anna withdraw her affections for Barradov?
3. How do Baradov's parents react when they see their son for the first time in three years in chapter 20?
4. How does fate play a part in this section?
5. Describe the duel between Pavel and Bazarov.
6. Describe the point of view Turgenev has used in the novel.
7. Why is Nikolai so upset at the beginning of chapter 11?
8. How does Arkady claim he has changed since falling in love with Katya?
9. In what way have times been hard for Nikolai in recent times?
10. What plans do Arkady and Bazarov make in this chapter?
Fathers and Sons is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Fathers and Sons that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Exanine the differences between Arkady and Bazarov's upbringings. Do you think it makes a big difference to his relationship with his father that Arkady mother died early? How has Vassily's doting affected Bazarov's character? Were they are true nihilists or did their upbringings prevent them from genuinely thinking in this way?
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Turgenev use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)