|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arkady call the man the princess was married to?
2. What does Arkady tell Pavel that Bazarov is?
3. What do Pavel and Nikolai share?
4. Where is Nikolai waiting?
5. How does Platonitch amuse the ladies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Fathers and Sons.
2. Why does Pavel challenge Bazarov to a duel?
3. Describe Vassily's profession.
4. What is Nikolai's current state?
5. What do you think changes Arkady's attitude towards his father?
6. How does Bazarov react to his imminent death?
7. What does Bazarov do during his walk around the farm?
8. In what way is the generational gap between the two young men and Pavel and Nikolai evident in chapter 10?
9. What happens to all the major characters by the end of the story?
10. How does Arkady claim he has changed since falling in love with Katya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Turgenev use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
The Fathers and Sons is part of the philosophical and political genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Fathers and Sons genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Fathers and Sons help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Fathers and Sons?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Turgenev's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)