|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xavier tell Nebe was in the deposit box?
2. Which newspaper does Charlie want to print the story in?
3. Who is waiting for Xavier at Columbia House?
4. What is playing on the radio after Henry arrives?
5. What does Krebs say Globus dislikes about Xavier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pili work with the Gestapo?
2. Why did Xavier withdraw all his money from the bank?
3. Why does Nebe consider Xavier an irony?
4. What is notable about the ransacked pile of items in Xavier's apartment?
5. How does Xavier react to Charlie having followed him?
6. Why does Xavier not tell Nebe of the painting in Zurich?
7. What happens when Xavier boards the plane?
8. What happens when Xavier is transferred to Columbia House?
9. What happens when after Luther appears?
10. How do Xavier, Charlie and Henry try to avoid being overheard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Fatherland with one of Harris' later modern historical novels Enigma and Archangel. How does his style develop? Does he change his viewpoint in any significant ways? How do you think his career as a journalist affected his novel writing?
Essay Topic 2
How does the book's setting affect the meaning of the book? Do you think the story would be as effective in Stalin's Russia or Mussolini's Italy?
Essay Topic 3
From your own knowledge of the Second World War, do you find Harris' storyline plausible? What are the potential faults in his alternate history? Are there any significant changes that you would make?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)