|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the Fuhrer's speech when Xavier and Charlie leave her apartment?
2. What is Klara's maiden name?
3. On which side of the Zurich See have the bankers settled on?
4. How does Xavier think it is easy to live one's life?
5. Which university did Charlie attend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
How does the book's setting affect the meaning of the book? Do you think the story would be as effective in Stalin's Russia or Mussolini's Italy?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)