|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krebs use as an interrogator's prop?
2. What does Globus break of Xavier's at first?
3. What is behind the steel door in the basement of the Reichsarchiv?
4. What does Xavier give the railway worker?
5. Who does Xavier send a box of chocolates to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Xavier complimentary of Globus on the phone?
2. What is the arrangement for the deposit box at the Swiss bank?
3. Why does Xavier not tell Nebe of the painting in Zurich?
4. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
5. Why did Xavier withdraw all his money from the bank?
6. What happens when Xavier is transferred to Columbia House?
7. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
8. Why does Nebe consider Xavier an irony?
9. Who does Xavier think of as he waits to leave Switzerland?
10. How does Charlie intend to cross the border into Switzerland with the documents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns in his alternate history?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society? Would the story be as possible?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Fatherland with one of Harris' later modern historical novels Enigma and Archangel. How does his style develop? Does he change his viewpoint in any significant ways? How do you think his career as a journalist affected his novel writing?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote Fatherland in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)