|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had the roads been named for?
2. What colour is Charlie's lighter?
3. Where had Xavier been going when his passport was issued?
4. Which newspaper does Charlie want to print the story in?
5. What was the name of Charlie's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Xavier complimentary of Globus on the phone?
2. Why does Pili work with the Gestapo?
3. What is notable about the ransacked pile of items in Xavier's apartment?
4. How does Xavier react to Charlie having followed him?
5. Why does Xavier's passport confuse the customs official?
6. Why do you think Xavier chooses to visit Pili?
7. Why is Krebs shocked by Xavier's revelations?
8. What is the arrangement for the deposit box at the Swiss bank?
9. How do Xavier, Charlie and Henry try to avoid being overheard?
10. Why does Henry not think that Luther will be granted asylum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote Fatherland in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
From your own knowledge of the Second World War, do you find Harris' storyline plausible? What are the potential faults in his alternate history? Are there any significant changes that you would make?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)