|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xavier tell Nebe was in the deposit box?
2. Who does Xavier suspect of trying to set him up with a new wife?
3. What does Krebs give Xavier?
4. Who does Xavier ask to see at the airport?
5. What colour is the bag Xavier takes from the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Xavier, Charlie and Henry try to avoid being overheard?
2. How does Xavier react to Charlie having followed him?
3. State one way in which Xavier tries to block the pain of being tortured.
4. Why does Pili work with the Gestapo?
5. How does Xavier try to justify parking in front of the Great Hall?
6. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
7. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
8. How does Charlie intend to cross the border into Switzerland with the documents?
9. Who does Xavier think of as he waits to leave Switzerland?
10. What happens when Xavier is transferred to Columbia House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1994, a TV film of the book was made by HBO. What are the main differences between the novel and the film version? Why do you think the filmmakers adapted these points differently to the author? Do you think the film is effective in telling the story of Fatherland?
Essay Topic 2
What clues leads to March uncovering the government's crimes? How can March expose the government without risking his own life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns in his alternate history?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society? Would the story be as possible?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)