|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Globus break of Xavier's at first?
2. Which newspaper does Charlie want to print the story in?
3. What colour are the trams in Zurich?
4. What does Xavier shout out to Globus as he is being tortured?
5. What does Xavier buy Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Xavier think of as he waits to leave Switzerland?
2. Why did Xavier withdraw all his money from the bank?
3. What is Luther's plan?
4. What is the arrangement for the deposit box at the Swiss bank?
5. How does Xavier react to Charlie having followed him?
6. State one way in which Xavier tries to block the pain of being tortured.
7. Why do you think Xavier chooses to visit Pili?
8. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
9. Why does Henry not think that Luther will be granted asylum?
10. What happens when Xavier is transferred to Columbia House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns in his alternate history?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society? Would the story be as possible?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
How does the book's setting affect the meaning of the book? Do you think the story would be as effective in Stalin's Russia or Mussolini's Italy?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)