|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the painter of the work in the Zurich bank vault?
2. What whiskey does Charlie send to Xavier?
3. What colour are the trams in Zurich?
4. What does Xavier buy Charlie?
5. What is the subject of Xavier's childhood dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nebe consider Xavier an irony?
2. How does Xavier react to Charlie having followed him?
3. Why does Xavier's passport confuse the customs official?
4. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
5. What is notable about the ransacked pile of items in Xavier's apartment?
6. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
7. Why is Krebs shocked by Xavier's revelations?
8. What is Luther's plan?
9. How do Xavier, Charlie and Henry try to avoid being overheard?
10. State one way in which Xavier tries to block the pain of being tortured.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the German government keep the extermination of the Jews secret from the rest of the world? Do you think it is possible to keep such a secret?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)