|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colour is the bag Xavier takes from the airport?
2. Which hotel does Globus say Luther could afford to stay at?
3. When did Martin Luther open the account with Zaugg?
4. What is the subject of Xavier's childhood dream?
5. What colour are the trams in Zurich?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Xavier, Charlie and Henry try to avoid being overheard?
2. How does Xavier react to Charlie having followed him?
3. Why does Xavier not tell Nebe of the painting in Zurich?
4. What do Xavier and Charlie discover in Luther's doctor's bag?
5. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
6. Why is Krebs shocked by Xavier's revelations?
7. What happens when Xavier boards the plane?
8. Why did Xavier withdraw all his money from the bank?
9. Why does Nebe consider Xavier an irony?
10. What is Luther's plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns in his alternate history?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society? Would the story be as possible?
Essay Topic 3
From your own knowledge of the Second World War, do you find Harris' storyline plausible? What are the potential faults in his alternate history? Are there any significant changes that you would make?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)