|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xavier buy Charlie?
2. What does Xavier give the railway worker?
3. What colour is Charlie's lighter?
4. Which stock is falling after the news of detente?
5. What does Globus break of Xavier's at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pili work with the Gestapo?
2. Who does Xavier think of as he waits to leave Switzerland?
3. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
4. What is notable about the ransacked pile of items in Xavier's apartment?
5. What happens when after Luther appears?
6. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
7. How does Xavier try to justify parking in front of the Great Hall?
8. What is Luther's plan?
9. How do Xavier, Charlie and Henry try to avoid being overheard?
10. What happens when Xavier boards the plane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Fatherland with one of Harris' later modern historical novels Enigma and Archangel. How does his style develop? Does he change his viewpoint in any significant ways? How do you think his career as a journalist affected his novel writing?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Max's betrayal affect March? What suggestions were there earlier in the novel that Max would be a traitor?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)