|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sits next to Xavier on the plane?
2. What colour is the bag Xavier takes from the airport?
3. Who is waiting for Xavier at Columbia House?
4. What wars with servility in the custom man's face?
5. What is behind the steel door in the basement of the Reichsarchiv?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pili work with the Gestapo?
2. What do Xavier and Charlie discover in Luther's doctor's bag?
3. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
4. Why does Xavier's passport confuse the customs official?
5. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
6. Who does Xavier think of as he waits to leave Switzerland?
7. How does Charlie intend to cross the border into Switzerland with the documents?
8. State one way in which Xavier tries to block the pain of being tortured.
9. Why does Nebe consider Xavier an irony?
10. Why does Xavier not tell Nebe of the painting in Zurich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What clues leads to March uncovering the government's crimes? How can March expose the government without risking his own life?
Essay Topic 3
In 1994, a TV film of the book was made by HBO. What are the main differences between the novel and the film version? Why do you think the filmmakers adapted these points differently to the author? Do you think the film is effective in telling the story of Fatherland?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)