|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Xavier suspect of trying to set him up with a new wife?
2. What does Xavier shout out to Globus as he is being tortured?
3. Who does Charlie say Xavier is to her landlady?
4. Which hotel does Globus say Luther could afford to stay at?
5. What does Xavier hear Charlie do in her sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Xavier is transferred to Columbia House?
2. How do Xavier, Charlie and Henry try to avoid being overheard?
3. What happens when Xavier boards the plane?
4. What happens when after Luther appears?
5. What is notable about the ransacked pile of items in Xavier's apartment?
6. Why does Pili work with the Gestapo?
7. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
8. What is the arrangement for the deposit box at the Swiss bank?
9. Why do you think Xavier chooses to visit Pili?
10. Who does Xavier think of as he waits to leave Switzerland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Harris develop his story to get to each turning point? Do you think that Harris successfully builds up the tension in the book to reach the final climax?
Essay Topic 2
Fatherland is part of the thriller genre. What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot? How does the alternate history affect the impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Xavier's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Xavier hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Xavier ideas about life?
3. How has Xavier's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)