|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xavier buy Charlie?
2. Who was the painter of the work in the Zurich bank vault?
3. What was the name of the Führer's armoured train?
4. What was the name of Charlie's father?
5. Where did Charlie move after dropping out of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when after Luther appears?
2. What happens when Xavier is transferred to Columbia House?
3. What is notable about the ransacked pile of items in Xavier's apartment?
4. Why does Xavier's passport confuse the customs official?
5. What is Luther's plan?
6. What do Xavier and Charlie discover in Luther's doctor's bag?
7. State one way in which Xavier tries to block the pain of being tortured.
8. Why did Xavier withdraw all his money from the bank?
9. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
10. Why is Krebs shocked by Xavier's revelations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the twist ending. Do you think Max Jaeger's betrayal was inevitable? Choose one scene in the book involving both Max and Xavier and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Xavier's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Xavier hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Xavier ideas about life?
3. How has Xavier's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)