|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Charlie, Xavier and Henry go to talk?
2. How does Xavier think it is easy to live one's life?
3. Who sits next to Xavier on the plane?
4. What does Krebs give Xavier?
5. What is on top of Charlie's lavatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is notable about the ransacked pile of items in Xavier's apartment?
2. How does Charlie intend to cross the border into Switzerland with the documents?
3. What happens when Xavier is transferred to Columbia House?
4. Why did Xavier withdraw all his money from the bank?
5. Why is Krebs shocked by Xavier's revelations?
6. What happens when Xavier boards the plane?
7. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
8. Why is Xavier complimentary of Globus on the phone?
9. Why does Xavier's passport confuse the customs official?
10. What do Xavier and Charlie discover in Luther's doctor's bag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fatherland is part of the thriller genre. What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot? How does the alternate history affect the impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Xavier's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Xavier hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Xavier ideas about life?
3. How has Xavier's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)