|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the smallest Jewish community mentioned?
2. What is 'Zyklon B'?
3. What does Xavier tell Nebe was in the deposit box?
4. What wars with servility in the custom man's face?
5. What drink is offered on the return flight to Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the arrangement for the deposit box at the Swiss bank?
2. How does Xavier try to justify parking in front of the Great Hall?
3. Why does Henry not think that Luther will be granted asylum?
4. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
5. Why did Xavier withdraw all his money from the bank?
6. Why does Pili work with the Gestapo?
7. How do Xavier, Charlie and Henry try to avoid being overheard?
8. What happens when after Luther appears?
9. Why does Xavier's passport confuse the customs official?
10. Why is Krebs shocked by Xavier's revelations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Max's betrayal affect March? What suggestions were there earlier in the novel that Max would be a traitor?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote Fatherland in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the twist ending. Do you think Max Jaeger's betrayal was inevitable? Choose one scene in the book involving both Max and Xavier and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)