|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the Fuhrer's speech when Xavier and Charlie leave her apartment?
2. What does Xavier hear Charlie do in her sleep?
3. Who does Xavier send a box of chocolates to?
4. Why was Krebs picked to help Globus in the investigation?
5. What does Xavier tell Nebe was in the deposit box?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Luther's plan?
2. What is notable about the ransacked pile of items in Xavier's apartment?
3. Why does Xavier not tell Nebe of the painting in Zurich?
4. How does Charlie intend to cross the border into Switzerland with the documents?
5. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
6. Why is Krebs shocked by Xavier's revelations?
7. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
8. What happens when Xavier is transferred to Columbia House?
9. How do Xavier, Charlie and Henry try to avoid being overheard?
10. Why does Henry not think that Luther will be granted asylum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does the book's setting affect the meaning of the book? Do you think the story would be as effective in Stalin's Russia or Mussolini's Italy?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)