|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Walther Fiebes drinking in his office?
2. What disease had Xavier invalided out of the navy?
3. What date is the combination lock opened by?
4. What position had Halder held in the U-boat service?
5. What was the colour of the envelope Xavier pocketed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the official history of resettlement in Poland, as described by Rudi Halder?
2. What does Xavier learn from Frau Trinkl?
3. How was Stuckart and Maria Dymarski said to have died?
4. Why do you think Max is scared by the Gestapo involvement in Buhler's death?
5. What reason for Buhler's suicide is given by Globus?
6. What is the Pimpf, and why is Pili proud to be a part of it?
7. What happened to Paul Han and Magda Voss?
8. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
9. How are the Reich security forces organized?
10. Why had Nebe blocked the court-martial proceedings against Xavier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Harris represent both American and German cultures in his novels? What way could these representations be called problematic?
Essay Topic 3
How did the German government keep the extermination of the Jews secret from the rest of the world? Do you think it is possible to keep such a secret?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)