|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What smell do Xavier and the attendant try to cover with their cigarette smoke?
2. How does Xavier treat the body?
3. Where had Charlie kept the blue envelope?
4. Which is the first room in Buhler's house that Xavier enters?
5. What do the stairs of Xavier's apartment smell of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Xavier's uniform.
2. What reason for Buhler's suicide is given by Globus?
3. Why is Charlie already in trouble with the German authorities?
4. Why had Nebe blocked the court-martial proceedings against Xavier?
5. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
6. What is the official history of resettlement in Poland, as described by Rudi Halder?
7. Describe Xavier's office in the Kripo headquarters.
8. Why has Stuckart's death been transferred to the sexual crimes division?
9. How has the Unter den Linden changed since 1936 in the novel?
10. What led Jost to finding Buhler's corpse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Harris develop his story to get to each turning point? Do you think that Harris successfully builds up the tension in the book to reach the final climax?
Essay Topic 2
Fatherland is part of the thriller genre. What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot? How does the alternate history affect the impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)