Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xavier find by the jetty?
2. What had Buhler had for lunch the day he died?
3. How did Xavier's mother die?
4. Who does Globus now work for?
5. What drink does Xavier pour for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xavier accuse Hermann Jost of being a homosexual?
2. How was Stuckart and Maria Dymarski said to have died?
3. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
4. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
5. What was Rudi Halder's professional career?
6. Why is Charlie already in trouble with the German authorities?
7. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
8. Why is Xavier March known as 'the fox' instead of 'grey wolf'?
9. Why had Nebe blocked the court-martial proceedings against Xavier?
10. How does Xavier try to justify parking in front of the Great Hall?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the twist ending. Do you think Max Jaeger's betrayal was inevitable? Choose one scene in the book involving both Max and Xavier and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Compare Xavier's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Xavier hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Xavier ideas about life?
3. How has Xavier's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)