|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the official cause of Stuckart's death?
2. Why can Jaeger not escape?
3. Why does Xavier struggle to find out the identity of the Weisses?
4. What is the announcement concerning?
5. What disease had Xavier invalided out of the navy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Stuckart and Maria Dymarski said to have died?
2. What is the official history of resettlement in Poland, as described by Rudi Halder?
3. Describe Xavier March's apartment.
4. What is the Pimpf, and why is Pili proud to be a part of it?
5. What is the Schwanenwerder?
6. What does Xavier learn from Frau Trinkl?
7. How has the Unter den Linden changed since 1936 in the novel?
8. Describe Xavier's uniform.
9. What led Jost to finding Buhler's corpse?
10. Why does Willi Stiefel agree to work with Max and Xavier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
How does Max's betrayal affect March? What suggestions were there earlier in the novel that Max would be a traitor?
Essay Topic 3
How does the book's setting affect the meaning of the book? Do you think the story would be as effective in Stalin's Russia or Mussolini's Italy?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)