|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the first room in Buhler's house that Xavier enters?
2. What is on top of the piano in the drawing room?
3. What letter is written on the pennant of the Mercedes limousine?
4. What does Xavier find by the jetty?
5. Who had discovered the bodies of Stuckart and his mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when after Luther appears?
2. Why is Krebs shocked by Xavier's revelations?
3. Describe Xavier's office in the Kripo headquarters.
4. Why does Xavier not tell Nebe of the painting in Zurich?
5. What are the three possible solutions Xavier poses as solutions to Buhler's death?
6. What is notable about the ransacked pile of items in Xavier's apartment?
7. What is the official history of resettlement in Poland, as described by Rudi Halder?
8. Why does Pili work with the Gestapo?
9. Why does Nebe consider Xavier an irony?
10. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
Essay Topic 1
How did the German government keep the extermination of the Jews secret from the rest of the world? Do you think it is possible to keep such a secret?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the twist ending. Do you think Max Jaeger's betrayal was inevitable? Choose one scene in the book involving both Max and Xavier and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)