Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xavier find by the jetty?
2. What had Buhler had for lunch the day he died?
3. How did Xavier's mother die?
4. Who does Globus now work for?
5. What drink does Xavier pour for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xavier accuse Hermann Jost of being a homosexual?
2. How was Stuckart and Maria Dymarski said to have died?
3. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
4. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
5. What was Rudi Halder's professional career?
6. Why is Charlie already in trouble with the German authorities?
7. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
8. Why is Xavier March known as 'the fox' instead of 'grey wolf'?
9. Why had Nebe blocked the court-martial proceedings against Xavier?
10. How does Xavier try to justify parking in front of the Great Hall?
Essay Topic 1
How did the German government keep the extermination of the Jews secret from the rest of the world? Do you think it is possible to keep such a secret?
Essay Topic 2
In 1994, a TV film of the book was made by HBO. What are the main differences between the novel and the film version? Why do you think the filmmakers adapted these points differently to the author? Do you think the film is effective in telling the story of Fatherland?
Essay Topic 3
Fatherland is part of the thriller genre. What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot? How does the alternate history affect the impact of the novel?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)