|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colour is representing the current level of terrorist alert in the Kripo headquaters?
2. What does Krebs offer Xavier and Max?
3. What position had Halder held in the U-boat service?
4. In Xavier's dream, whose face does he see on the corpse?
5. What is on top of the piano in the drawing room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Stuckart and Maria Dymarski said to have died?
2. Why do you think Max is scared by the Gestapo involvement in Buhler's death?
3. What happened to Paul Han and Magda Voss?
4. Describe Xavier March's apartment.
5. What is the landlady's opinion of Charlotte Maguire?
6. How has the Unter den Linden changed since 1936 in the novel?
7. What led Jost to finding Buhler's corpse?
8. What is in the cellar of Buhler's house?
9. What is the Schwanenwerder?
10. Why had Nebe blocked the court-martial proceedings against Xavier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fatherland is part of the thriller genre. What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot? How does the alternate history affect the impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What clues leads to March uncovering the government's crimes? How can March expose the government without risking his own life?
Essay Topic 3
How did the German government keep the extermination of the Jews secret from the rest of the world? Do you think it is possible to keep such a secret?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)