|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Xavier's apartment?
2. What was making the noise in the kitchen of Buhler's house?
3. What drink does Xavier pour for himself?
4. What is written in Buhler's diary on the day before he died?
5. What does Xavier smell outside Luther's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is inside the package Xavier takes from Buhler's mailbox?
2. What is the Pimpf, and why is Pili proud to be a part of it?
3. What is the significance of President Kennedy's visit to Berlin?
4. What is in the cellar of Buhler's house?
5. Why does Willi Stiefel agree to work with Max and Xavier?
6. What does Xavier learn from Frau Trinkl?
7. How had Germany achieved peace with the United States?
8. Why do you think Max is scared by the Gestapo involvement in Buhler's death?
9. How has the Unter den Linden changed since 1936 in the novel?
10. What was Rudi Halder's professional career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the twist ending. Do you think Max Jaeger's betrayal was inevitable? Choose one scene in the book involving both Max and Xavier and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
Essay Topic 2
What clues leads to March uncovering the government's crimes? How can March expose the government without risking his own life?
Essay Topic 3
How does Max's betrayal affect March? What suggestions were there earlier in the novel that Max would be a traitor?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)