|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the colour of the envelope Xavier pocketed?
2. Who does Xavier say Charlie talks like?
3. How does Pili hold his dagger on the bus?
4. Where had the parcel been posted?
5. What does Globus show Xavier and Max in the cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led Jost to finding Buhler's corpse?
2. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
3. Why does Willi Stiefel agree to work with Max and Xavier?
4. How are the Reich security forces organized?
5. What does Xavier learn from Frau Trinkl?
6. Why is Charlie already in trouble with the German authorities?
7. What reason for Buhler's suicide is given by Globus?
8. What is the significance of President Kennedy's visit to Berlin?
9. What is the Pimpf, and why is Pili proud to be a part of it?
10. What is the official history of resettlement in Poland, as described by Rudi Halder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
How does Harris represent both American and German cultures in his novels? What way could these representations be called problematic?
Essay Topic 3
From your own knowledge of the Second World War, do you find Harris' storyline plausible? What are the potential faults in his alternate history? Are there any significant changes that you would make?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)