|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xavier find by the jetty?
2. What had Buhler had for lunch the day he died?
3. How did Xavier's mother die?
4. Who does Globus now work for?
5. What drink does Xavier pour for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xavier accuse Hermann Jost of being a homosexual?
2. How was Stuckart and Maria Dymarski said to have died?
3. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
4. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
5. What was Rudi Halder's professional career?
6. Why is Charlie already in trouble with the German authorities?
7. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
8. Why is Xavier March known as 'the fox' instead of 'grey wolf'?
9. Why had Nebe blocked the court-martial proceedings against Xavier?
10. How does Xavier try to justify parking in front of the Great Hall?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
From your own knowledge of the Second World War, do you find Harris' storyline plausible? What are the potential faults in his alternate history? Are there any significant changes that you would make?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)