|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Artur Nebe live?
2. What smell do Xavier and the attendant try to cover with their cigarette smoke?
3. How did Buhler lose his foot?
4. How does Xavier treat the body?
5. What is the penalty for possessing a foreign bank account without permission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie already in trouble with the German authorities?
2. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
3. What did Charlie notice when she first visited Stuckart's apartment?
4. How was Stuckart and Maria Dymarski said to have died?
5. What is the significance of President Kennedy's visit to Berlin?
6. Describe Xavier March's apartment.
7. What led Jost to finding Buhler's corpse?
8. Why does Willi Stiefel agree to work with Max and Xavier?
9. Why is Xavier March known as 'the fox' instead of 'grey wolf'?
10. What is the official history of resettlement in Poland, as described by Rudi Halder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)