|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname is Max Jaeger sometimes given?
2. What disease had Xavier invalided out of the navy?
3. What drink does Xavier pour for himself?
4. How does Pili hold his dagger on the bus?
5. In Xavier's dream, whose face does he see on the corpse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Pimpf, and why is Pili proud to be a part of it?
2. Why does Willi Stiefel agree to work with Max and Xavier?
3. Why do you think Max is scared by the Gestapo involvement in Buhler's death?
4. What is the significance of President Kennedy's visit to Berlin?
5. How are the Reich security forces organized?
6. What is the official history of resettlement in Poland, as described by Rudi Halder?
7. Describe Xavier's office in the Kripo headquarters.
8. What is the Schwanenwerder?
9. Why has Stuckart's death been transferred to the sexual crimes division?
10. How was Stuckart and Maria Dymarski said to have died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the twist ending. Do you think Max Jaeger's betrayal was inevitable? Choose one scene in the book involving both Max and Xavier and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)