|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xavier find by the jetty?
2. What had Buhler had for lunch the day he died?
3. How did Xavier's mother die?
4. Who does Globus now work for?
5. What drink does Xavier pour for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xavier accuse Hermann Jost of being a homosexual?
2. How was Stuckart and Maria Dymarski said to have died?
3. Why does Nebe allow Xavier to go to Switzerland?
4. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
5. What was Rudi Halder's professional career?
6. Why is Charlie already in trouble with the German authorities?
7. What do Xavier and Charlie find in the deposit box?
8. Why is Xavier March known as 'the fox' instead of 'grey wolf'?
9. Why had Nebe blocked the court-martial proceedings against Xavier?
10. How does Xavier try to justify parking in front of the Great Hall?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Fatherland with one of Harris' later modern historical novels Enigma and Archangel. How does his style develop? Does he change his viewpoint in any significant ways? How do you think his career as a journalist affected his novel writing?
Essay Topic 2
Fatherland is part of the thriller genre. What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot? How does the alternate history affect the impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)