|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Heydrich enjoy beating, according to Kripo rumour?
2. Which department has Stuckart's file?
3. What do the stairs of Xavier's apartment smell of?
4. What does Nebe describe Xavier as?
5. What nickname is Max Jaeger sometimes given?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Xavier withdraw all his money from the bank?
2. What is Luther's plan?
3. Why is Xavier looking for bricks?
4. What does Xavier learn from Frau Trinkl?
5. What happens when Xavier boards the plane?
6. What are the three possible solutions Xavier poses as solutions to Buhler's death?
7. How does Xavier react to Charlie having followed him?
8. What is the landlady's opinion of Charlotte Maguire?
9. What do Xavier and Charlie discover in Luther's doctor's bag?
10. What is the arrangement for the deposit box at the Swiss bank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
From your own knowledge of the Second World War, do you find Harris' storyline plausible? What are the potential faults in his alternate history? Are there any significant changes that you would make?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Harris develop his story to get to each turning point? Do you think that Harris successfully builds up the tension in the book to reach the final climax?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)