|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Charlie kept the blue envelope?
2. Who is Buhler's only surviving relative?
3. How does Pili hold his dagger on the bus?
4. What is Walther Fiebes drinking in his office?
5. Where had Churchill fled to in 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie already in trouble with the German authorities?
2. What does Xavier learn from Frau Trinkl?
3. What is the Schwanenwerder?
4. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
5. Why is Xavier March known as 'the fox' instead of 'grey wolf'?
6. Describe Xavier's uniform.
7. What is the hierarchy of cars used by the security forces of the Reich?
8. What led Jost to finding Buhler's corpse?
9. How has the Unter den Linden changed since 1936 in the novel?
10. What are the three possible solutions Xavier poses as solutions to Buhler's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fatherland is part of the thriller genre. What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot? How does the alternate history affect the impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does the book's setting affect the meaning of the book? Do you think the story would be as effective in Stalin's Russia or Mussolini's Italy?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote Fatherland in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)