|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on top of the piano in the drawing room?
2. What colour are the walls of the reception room where Frau Trinkl views the body?
3. What had Stiefel been arrested for previously?
4. Which floor is Stuckart's apartment on?
5. Where was Hermann Jost born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the Unter den Linden changed since 1936 in the novel?
2. What is inside the package Xavier takes from Buhler's mailbox?
3. How had Germany achieved peace with the United States?
4. How are the Reich security forces organized?
5. What role in the art-smuggling ring did Stuckart play?
6. What happened to Paul Han and Magda Voss?
7. Describe Xavier's uniform.
8. Describe Xavier March's apartment.
9. Why is Charlie already in trouble with the German authorities?
10. What is in the cellar of Buhler's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote Fatherland in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Harris develop his story to get to each turning point? Do you think that Harris successfully builds up the tension in the book to reach the final climax?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)