|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Jaeger not escape?
(a) He has a limp.
(b) He is an informant.
(c) He is too unfit.
(d) He is too fat.
2. What does Xavier smell outside Luther's house?
(a) Rotting fish.
(b) Baking bread.
(c) Cut grass.
(d) Bonfire smoke.
3. What trees are at the heart of the Grunewald?
4. What is the Führer's favorite operetta?
(a) Der Graf von Luxemburg.
(c) The Land of Smiles.
(d) The Merry Widow.
5. What had Stiefel been arrested for previously?
(a) Car theft.
(b) Insulting an officer.
(c) Breaking and entering.
(d) A bank robbery.
6. What is the name of the lake mentioned at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Lake Havel.
(c) Lake Wandlitz.
(d) Tegler See.
7. What is written in Buhler's diary on the day before he died?
(a) His sister's birthday.
(b) A meeting with the police.
(c) A phone number.
(d) A small cross.
8. How did Xavier's mother die?
(a) In an air raid.
(b) In childirth.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) She was attacked.
9. What smell do Xavier and the attendant try to cover with their cigarette smoke?
10. What is the announcement concerning?
(a) The visit of the president of America.
(b) The death of a party official.
(c) The capture of a war-criminal.
(d) A victory on the Eastern Front.
11. What is on top of the piano in the drawing room?
(a) Two photographs.
(c) A carriage clock.
(d) A vase of flowers.
12. What does Xavier find by the jetty?
(a) A dead body.
(b) A dead swan.
(c) A china doll.
(d) An artificial foot.
13. Who had been asking about Xavier at the Archiv?
(a) The Kripe.
(b) The Gestapo.
(c) The Orpo.
(d) The SS.
14. Where does Artur Nebe live?
(a) Prenzlauer Berg.
15. Who calls Xavier that evening?
(a) Max Jaeger.
(b) Hermann Jost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Buhler's wife?
2. What colour are the walls of the reception room where Frau Trinkl views the body?
3. What is inside the parcel?
4. What is in the courtyard of Stuckart's apartment block?
5. What is the penalty for possessing a foreign bank account without permission?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)