|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
2. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
3. With what magazine does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique in 1990 to write an article?
4. Who is the author of THE KILIMANJARO DEVICE?
5. How is Vonnegut an advocate for translators?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
2. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
3. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
4. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
5. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
6. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
7. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
8. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
9. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
10. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Women's Liberation Movement coincides with Jill Krementz's blossoming into womanhood.
Part 1) How does Jill act like a woman involved in this movement?
Part 2) What would you ignore or go without to have more freedoms?
Part 3) Do you believe Jill is brave for the way she lives her life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The First Amendment allows Americans the freedom of speech and the press.
Part 1) Although Vonnegut supports this, why does this freedom upset him? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) What part of the First Amendment does the NRA use to support its cause? Do you agree with the way the NRA interprets this freedom?
Part 3) Write a letter to the NRA expressing your opinion about its interpretation of the First Amendment.
Essay Topic 3
Television has created a generation that needs not fight to be disillusioned about war.
Part 1) Give examples of how television has been able to do this.
Part 2) Name two other ways television has bettered our society. Explain.
Part 3) What other technology has bettered our world? Explain.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)