|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Bishop Vonnegut travels with to the Galapagos?
2. What do many of Vonnegut's books, including this one, not include?
3. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
4. Why does Vonnegut feel out of intellectual step with his new neighbors in Cape Cod?
5. What tough question does Vonnegut's book "Player Piano" ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
2. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
3. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
4. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
5. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
6. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
7. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
8. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
9. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
10. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut says young writers should moralize in a reader-friendly way.
Part 1) Why do you think he says this?
Part 2) Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of organizations such as CARE and World Vision? IF you organized your own association, what would it be called? What would be the purpose of your organization?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)