|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization prevents Mozambicans from learning to read and write?
2. What tough question does Vonnegut's book "Player Piano" ask?
3. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
4. Who is Vonnegut's favorite translator, with whom he falls in platonic love?
5. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
2. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
3. What is the Folk Society?
4. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
5. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
6. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
7. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
8. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
9. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
10. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Attorney General's Commission on Pornography is created to protect the public from immoral literature.
Part 1) Does the United States have the right to decide what is moral or immoral? Why or why not?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that reveal the beliefs of this Commission.
Part 3) Do all the members of the Commission "practice what they preach?"
Essay Topic 2
People use a variety of techniques to relieve stress and the pressures of life.
Part 1) What are the techniques Vonnegut names?
Part 2) Do they seem to work?
Part 3) What do you do to relieve stress? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)