|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
2. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
3. In THE NATION what does Vonnegut claim is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
4. To what does Vonnegut compare Bush's presidential campaign?
5. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut says young writers should moralize in a reader-friendly way.
Part 1) Why do you think he says this?
Part 2) Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dresden was firebombed in retaliation for previous attacks on the British during World War II.
Part 1) Was Dresden a good choice for the military to bomb? Why or why not?
Part 2) How would you feel if you had been a POW in Dresden during the firebombing?
Part 3) Are there any cities in the world that have been bombed but you feel shouldn't have been?
Essay Topic 3
The Attorney General's Commission on Pornography is created to protect the public from immoral literature.
Part 1) Does the United States have the right to decide what is moral or immoral? Why or why not?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that reveal the beliefs of this Commission.
Part 3) Do all the members of the Commission "practice what they preach?"
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)