|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
2. Vonnegut compares the young people he addresses to what character in Camelot?
3. Sufferers of what deficiency seek to become members of a crazy artificial extended family?
4. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, how many hours of television Failures of Christianity (murders) has one watched by graduation?
5. Who sponsors Vonnegut's 1990 trip to Mozambique?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
2. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
3. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
4. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
5. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
6. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
7. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
8. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
9. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
10. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
Essay Topic 2
The First Amendment allows Americans the freedom of speech and the press.
Part 1) Although Vonnegut supports this, why does this freedom upset him? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) What part of the First Amendment does the NRA use to support its cause? Do you agree with the way the NRA interprets this freedom?
Part 3) Write a letter to the NRA expressing your opinion about its interpretation of the First Amendment.
Essay Topic 3
The Women's Liberation Movement coincides with Jill Krementz's blossoming into womanhood.
Part 1) How does Jill act like a woman involved in this movement?
Part 2) What would you ignore or go without to have more freedoms?
Part 3) Do you believe Jill is brave for the way she lives her life? Why or why not?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)