|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
2. What does Vonnegut believe may unite mankind, by creating a generation that does not need to fight to be disillusioned by war?
3. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
4. Although people with acute mental disorder are less often written off as hopeless, why is there still a lack of certainty for patients and their families?
5. How many Americans are of German descent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
2. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
3. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
4. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
5. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
6. What is the Folk Society?
7. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
8. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
9. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
10. What is Vonnegut's opinion on war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut poses the question "what are people for?"
Part 1) What do you believe Vonnegut thinks people are for?
Part 2) What do you think people are for?
Part 3) Based on these beliefs, are people being successful at serving their purpose on Earth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Women's Liberation Movement coincides with Jill Krementz's blossoming into womanhood.
Part 1) How does Jill act like a woman involved in this movement?
Part 2) What would you ignore or go without to have more freedoms?
Part 3) Do you believe Jill is brave for the way she lives her life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut claims the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture is Alcoholics Anonymous.
Part 1) Why does he believe this?
Part 2) Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) What else has the U.S. contributed to better the planet?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)