|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although people with acute mental disorder are less often written off as hopeless, why is there still a lack of certainty for patients and their families?
2. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
3. Vonnegut's 1990 article in the New York Times observes that American humorists/satirists grow to be what past a certain age?
4. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
5. What university do Vonnegut's grandfather, father, uncle, and brother attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vonnegut's opinion on war?
2. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
3. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
4. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
5. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
6. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
7. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
8. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
9. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
10. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut considers some people saints.
Part 1) Name two people he considers saints. Why?
Part 2) What do you believe the requirements are for being considered a saint?
Part 3) Who in your life would you consider a saint? Why?
Essay Topic 2
19th century British aristocrats are sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency."
Part 1) How do they suffer from this deficiency? Who does this affect other people from different cultures?
Part 2) What other areas of the world have suffered in the same way? How?
Part 3) Do societies still suffers from this deficiency? How?
Essay Topic 3
Dresden was firebombed in retaliation for previous attacks on the British during World War II.
Part 1) Was Dresden a good choice for the military to bomb? Why or why not?
Part 2) How would you feel if you had been a POW in Dresden during the firebombing?
Part 3) Are there any cities in the world that have been bombed but you feel shouldn't have been?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)