|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
2. Those with addiction eventually hit rock bottom. Vonnegut believes Western Civilization hit rock bottom in World War I. Unlike those with addictions who admit that their addiction is ruining their lives, how does Western Civilization react to hitting rock bottom?
3. What university do Vonnegut's grandfather, father, uncle, and brother attend?
4. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
5. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
2. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
3. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
4. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
5. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
6. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
7. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
8. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
9. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
10. What is the Folk Society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
People use a variety of techniques to relieve stress and the pressures of life.
Part 1) What are the techniques Vonnegut names?
Part 2) Do they seem to work?
Part 3) What do you do to relieve stress? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Attorney General's Commission on Pornography is created to protect the public from immoral literature.
Part 1) Does the United States have the right to decide what is moral or immoral? Why or why not?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that reveal the beliefs of this Commission.
Part 3) Do all the members of the Commission "practice what they preach?"
Essay Topic 3
Writing books is like any other job, according to Vonnegut.
Part 1) Why does Vonnegut think writing is no more special than any other job?
Part 2) Would you be okay with doing a job that was not important or special to you? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you find any jobs to be more important or more satisfying than others? Explain.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)