|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
2. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
3. What is World Vision?
4. What does Vonnegut believe most ancient writings, including the Bible, do?
5. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
2. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
3. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
4. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
5. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
6. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
7. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
8. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
9. What is Vonnegut's opinion on war?
10. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Writing books is like any other job, according to Vonnegut.
Part 1) Why does Vonnegut think writing is no more special than any other job?
Part 2) Would you be okay with doing a job that was not important or special to you? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you find any jobs to be more important or more satisfying than others? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut does not believe Liberty has yet to be born.
Part 1) Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Part 2) What can you do to bring about the birth of Liberty?
Part 3) How do you see progression of liberty over the next 100 years?
Essay Topic 3
19th century British aristocrats are sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency."
Part 1) How do they suffer from this deficiency? Who does this affect other people from different cultures?
Part 2) What other areas of the world have suffered in the same way? How?
Part 3) Do societies still suffers from this deficiency? How?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)