|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut dream the world will be like in 1,000 years?
2. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
3. What does Vonnegut believe may unite mankind, by creating a generation that does not need to fight to be disillusioned by war?
4. In THE NATION what does Vonnegut claim is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
5. What is a scheme of self-defense that only maligned and oppressed minorities should be allowed to use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
2. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
3. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
4. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
5. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
6. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
7. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
8. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
9. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
10. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut does not believe Liberty has yet to be born.
Part 1) Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Part 2) What can you do to bring about the birth of Liberty?
Part 3) How do you see progression of liberty over the next 100 years?
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
Essay Topic 3
Today's rulers are doing nothing to Nature's stern but reasonable surrender terms.
Part 1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Part 2) What efforts do you make to help the planet?
Part 3) How do you see our planet in 1,000 years?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)