|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rait believe she can say whatever she pleases in English?
2. With whom does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique?
3. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
4. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
5. What is a scheme of self-defense that only maligned and oppressed minorities should be allowed to use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
2. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
3. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
4. What is Vonnegut's opinion on war?
5. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
6. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
7. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
8. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
9. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
10. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Attorney General's Commission on Pornography is created to protect the public from immoral literature.
Part 1) Does the United States have the right to decide what is moral or immoral? Why or why not?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that reveal the beliefs of this Commission.
Part 3) Do all the members of the Commission "practice what they preach?"
Essay Topic 2
Dresden was firebombed in retaliation for previous attacks on the British during World War II.
Part 1) Was Dresden a good choice for the military to bomb? Why or why not?
Part 2) How would you feel if you had been a POW in Dresden during the firebombing?
Part 3) Are there any cities in the world that have been bombed but you feel shouldn't have been?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)