|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
2. What is a scheme of self-defense that only maligned and oppressed minorities should be allowed to use?
3. Where does Vonnegut meet his first wife?
4. How does Vonnegut describe Reagan's and Bush's war experiences?
5. After reading William Styron's DARKNESS VISIBLE how does Vonnegut classify those that are suicidal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
2. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
3. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
4. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
5. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
6. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
7. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
8. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
9. What is the Folk Society?
10. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut says he does not care if he is remembered when he dies.
Part 1) What examples of authors does he give who do want to be remembered?
Part 2) Compare and contrast the reasons why Vonnegut and other writers may or may not want to be remembered.
Part 3) Do you want to be remembered when you die? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Women's Liberation Movement coincides with Jill Krementz's blossoming into womanhood.
Part 1) How does Jill act like a woman involved in this movement?
Part 2) What would you ignore or go without to have more freedoms?
Part 3) Do you believe Jill is brave for the way she lives her life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Both Father and Alice are encouraged in their art making.
Part 1) How do their reactions differ? How does this affect their futures as artists?
Part 2) How do you react from encouragement and praise?
Part 3) Describe a time when someone's opinion influenced your actions. Did it result in a positive outcome?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)