|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
2. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
3. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
4. Why does Rait believe she can say whatever she pleases in English?
5. After reading William Styron's DARKNESS VISIBLE how does Vonnegut classify those that are suicidal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
2. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
3. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
4. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
5. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
6. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
7. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
8. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
9. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
10. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut considers some people saints.
Part 1) Name two people he considers saints. Why?
Part 2) What do you believe the requirements are for being considered a saint?
Part 3) Who in your life would you consider a saint? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Women's Liberation Movement coincides with Jill Krementz's blossoming into womanhood.
Part 1) How does Jill act like a woman involved in this movement?
Part 2) What would you ignore or go without to have more freedoms?
Part 3) Do you believe Jill is brave for the way she lives her life? Why or why not?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)