|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
2. What does Vonnegut believe most ancient writings, including the Bible, do?
3. The "Religious Revival" Vonnegut describes has two commandments. What are they?
4. What pictures would Vonnegut hang if he were president of MIT?
5. Where does Vonnegut meet his first wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
2. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
3. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
4. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
5. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
6. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
7. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
8. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
9. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
10. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
Essay Topic 2
Today's rulers are doing nothing to Nature's stern but reasonable surrender terms.
Part 1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Part 2) What efforts do you make to help the planet?
Part 3) How do you see our planet in 1,000 years?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut is continually unhappy with Christianity throughout the book.
Part 1) Give examples of the behavior of Christians mentioned in the book that would strengthen this attitude towards Christianity.
Part 2) How do groups of Christians mentioned go against or change the meaning of the Bible?
Part 3) Although Vonnegut is not a Christian, he spends quite a bit of time in churches. Do you think, based on his opinion of Christianity, he should have been allowed to speak in churches? Why or why not?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)