|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pictures would Vonnegut hang if he were president of MIT?
2. According to Vonnegut's speech, what power do the MIT graduates have?
3. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, how many hours of television Failures of Christianity (murders) has one watched by graduation?
4. Sufferers of what deficiency seek to become members of a crazy artificial extended family?
5. How do jokes work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
2. What is the Folk Society?
3. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
4. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
5. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
6. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
7. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
8. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
9. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
10. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Attorney General's Commission on Pornography is created to protect the public from immoral literature.
Part 1) Does the United States have the right to decide what is moral or immoral? Why or why not?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that reveal the beliefs of this Commission.
Part 3) Do all the members of the Commission "practice what they preach?"
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut does not believe Liberty has yet to be born.
Part 1) Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Part 2) What can you do to bring about the birth of Liberty?
Part 3) How do you see progression of liberty over the next 100 years?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)