|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Vonnegut compare Bush's presidential campaign?
2. Who sponsors Vonnegut's 1990 trip to Mozambique?
3. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
4. What does Vonnegut believe most ancient writings, including the Bible, do?
5. As a writer Vonnegut is an anthropologist and writes about what acculturated primitive people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
2. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
3. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
4. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
5. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
6. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
7. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
8. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
9. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
10. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
19th century British aristocrats are sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency."
Part 1) How do they suffer from this deficiency? Who does this affect other people from different cultures?
Part 2) What other areas of the world have suffered in the same way? How?
Part 3) Do societies still suffers from this deficiency? How?
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut does not believe Liberty has yet to be born.
Part 1) Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Part 2) What can you do to bring about the birth of Liberty?
Part 3) How do you see progression of liberty over the next 100 years?
Essay Topic 3
People use a variety of techniques to relieve stress and the pressures of life.
Part 1) What are the techniques Vonnegut names?
Part 2) Do they seem to work?
Part 3) What do you do to relieve stress? Explain.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)