|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading William Styron's DARKNESS VISIBLE how does Vonnegut classify those that are suicidal?
2. How does Vonnegut describe Reagan's and Bush's war experiences?
3. How does Mark feel about the 1960s?
4. Jane, Vonnegut's first wife, is born a Quaker and dies as a member of what denomination?
5. What does Vonnegut never think he owes to himself or the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
2. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
3. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
4. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
5. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
6. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
7. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
8. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
9. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
10. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dresden was firebombed in retaliation for previous attacks on the British during World War II.
Part 1) Was Dresden a good choice for the military to bomb? Why or why not?
Part 2) How would you feel if you had been a POW in Dresden during the firebombing?
Part 3) Are there any cities in the world that have been bombed but you feel shouldn't have been?
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut does not believe Liberty has yet to be born.
Part 1) Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Part 2) What can you do to bring about the birth of Liberty?
Part 3) How do you see progression of liberty over the next 100 years?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut is continually unhappy with Christianity throughout the book.
Part 1) Give examples of the behavior of Christians mentioned in the book that would strengthen this attitude towards Christianity.
Part 2) How do groups of Christians mentioned go against or change the meaning of the Bible?
Part 3) Although Vonnegut is not a Christian, he spends quite a bit of time in churches. Do you think, based on his opinion of Christianity, he should have been allowed to speak in churches? Why or why not?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)