|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
2. Why does Vonnegut believe Christians have no alternative but to hate and then kill in imaginary self-defense?
3. With whom does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique?
4. How do the MIT students react to Vonnegut's speech?
5. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
2. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
3. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
4. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
5. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
6. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
7. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
8. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
9. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
10. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mental illness affects several discussed throughout the book.
Part 1) What could be the cause(s) of the Vonnegut family's mental illness?
Part 2) How does Vonnegut's mother's suicide affect his life?
Part 3) How might Vonnegut feel about his own son's mental illness?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of organizations such as CARE and World Vision? IF you organized your own association, what would it be called? What would be the purpose of your organization?
Essay Topic 3
People use a variety of techniques to relieve stress and the pressures of life.
Part 1) What are the techniques Vonnegut names?
Part 2) Do they seem to work?
Part 3) What do you do to relieve stress? Explain.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)