|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the composer who sets Vonnegut's Latin translation to music?
2. What does Vonnegut tell 1990 graduates of the University of Rhode Island?
3. What does Vonnegut miss from his youth?
4. What happens to all writers?
5. In which art form does Father show promise before the Great Depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
2. What historical information does Vonnegut give about requiem masses?
3. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters? Support your answer.
4. Vonnegut says children relate to the Universe as a one-on-one playmate. What profession does the same? When would members of this profession no longer play this way?
5. How does Vonnegut's requiem mass differ from Andrew Lloyd Webber's?
6. Name one similarity and one difference between Jane and Vonnegut.
7. Describe the city of Dresden.
8. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
9. What is one similarity and one difference between the author and Elie Wiesel?
10. What does FATES WORSE THAN DEATH by humorist Kurt Vonnegut contain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dresden was firebombed in retaliation for previous attacks on the British during World War II.
Part 1) Was Dresden a good choice for the military to bomb? Why or why not?
Part 2) How would you feel if you had been a POW in Dresden during the firebombing?
Part 3) Are there any cities in the world that have been bombed but you feel shouldn't have been?
Essay Topic 2
19th century British aristocrats are sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency."
Part 1) How do they suffer from this deficiency? Who does this affect other people from different cultures?
Part 2) What other areas of the world have suffered in the same way? How?
Part 3) Do societies still suffers from this deficiency? How?
Essay Topic 3
Writing books is like any other job, according to Vonnegut.
Part 1) Why does Vonnegut think writing is no more special than any other job?
Part 2) Would you be okay with doing a job that was not important or special to you? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you find any jobs to be more important or more satisfying than others? Explain.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)