|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to all writers?
2. Who is nearing economic, legal, and social equality only in Vonnegut's lifetime?
3. Why is Vonnegut drawn to the text?
4. What does Vonnegut say happens to American literary history, that "generations" of writers are separated by less than twenty years?
5. Why is Algren bitter over his masterpiece, The Man with the Golden Arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father not enjoy working as an architect?
2. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the traditional requiem mass?
3. What are two things Vonnegut does not like about President Bush?
4. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
5. What is the Reverend's opinion on banning objectionable books?
6. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
7. Name one similarity and one difference between Jane and Vonnegut.
8. What are four things Vonnegut and O'Hare have in common?
9. What is one similarity and one difference between the author and Elie Wiesel?
10. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut says young writers should moralize in a reader-friendly way.
Part 1) Why do you think he says this?
Part 2) Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
19th century British aristocrats are sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency."
Part 1) How do they suffer from this deficiency? Who does this affect other people from different cultures?
Part 2) What other areas of the world have suffered in the same way? How?
Part 3) Do societies still suffers from this deficiency? How?
Essay Topic 3
The Attorney General's Commission on Pornography is created to protect the public from immoral literature.
Part 1) Does the United States have the right to decide what is moral or immoral? Why or why not?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that reveal the beliefs of this Commission.
Part 3) Do all the members of the Commission "practice what they preach?"
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)