|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut assert is often Hemingway's male characters' greatest reward?
2. Who is nearing economic, legal, and social equality only in Vonnegut's lifetime?
3. What does Vonnegut believe is declining but could return?
4. What ethnic groups does the Attorney General's Commission label as "terrorists" whenever possible?
5. What tribal name do the Vonneguts give themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
2. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
3. How does Vonnegut's requiem mass differ from Andrew Lloyd Webber's?
4. Why does Vonnegut write his own mass?
5. A unicorn, it is said, will lay its head in a maiden's lap if she sits in a forest clearing. Why is Vonnegut's sister, Alice, the maiden to Father's unicorn?
6. How has Hemingway grown dated?
7. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
8. Describe the city of Dresden.
9. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters? Support your answer.
10. How are the Reverend and the Attorney General's Commission on Pornography the same?
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of organizations such as CARE and World Vision? IF you organized your own association, what would it be called? What would be the purpose of your organization?
Essay Topic 2
The Women's Liberation Movement coincides with Jill Krementz's blossoming into womanhood.
Part 1) How does Jill act like a woman involved in this movement?
Part 2) What would you ignore or go without to have more freedoms?
Part 3) Do you believe Jill is brave for the way she lives her life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut does not believe Liberty has yet to be born.
Part 1) Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Part 2) What can you do to bring about the birth of Liberty?
Part 3) How do you see progression of liberty over the next 100 years?
This section contains 1,628 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)