|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who translates Vonnegut's requiem into Latin?
2. Unlike many short-lived 20th-century art movements, what movement has more enthusiasts than ever?
3. Besides Indianapolis what other U.S. city is designed by the architect L'Enfant?
4. Who does Vonnegut marry in 1979?
5. Who buys the lake house but allows Vonnegut and his bride to honeymoon there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
2. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
3. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters? Support your answer.
4. Compare and contrast the character Billy Pilgrim to the character's model, Joe Crone.
5. Why does Father not enjoy working as an architect?
6. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the First Amendment?
7. Why does Vonnegut write his own mass?
8. Although Jill Krementz attends private schools and vacations with the rich as a child, how does she support herself as an adult?
9. What does Hemingway share with Vonnegut?
10. How are the Reverend and the Attorney General's Commission on Pornography different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Attorney General's Commission on Pornography is created to protect the public from immoral literature.
Part 1) Does the United States have the right to decide what is moral or immoral? Why or why not?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that reveal the beliefs of this Commission.
Part 3) Do all the members of the Commission "practice what they preach?"
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut does not believe Liberty has yet to be born.
Part 1) Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Part 2) What can you do to bring about the birth of Liberty?
Part 3) How do you see progression of liberty over the next 100 years?
Essay Topic 3
Television has created a generation that needs not fight to be disillusioned about war.
Part 1) Give examples of how television has been able to do this.
Part 2) Name two other ways television has bettered our society. Explain.
Part 3) What other technology has bettered our world? Explain.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)