|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Vonnegut's grown children jointly own?
2. What mental illness does the author's son suffer and recover from?
3. In which art form does Father show promise before the Great Depression?
4. To what does Vonnegut compare censorship's always being on the rise, around, and undiagnosed?
5. How does Vonnegut believe a writer's opinion about vocal third parties differs from that of a visual artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two things Vonnegut does not like about President Bush?
2. The 20th century is the first to get reliable information about the human condition. Why does Vonnegut believe that this could be a bad thing?
3. Why does Father not enjoy working as an architect?
4. How is Father's reaction to praise for his artwork different from his daughter's?
5. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
6. What historical information does Vonnegut give about requiem masses?
7. How does Vonnegut's requiem mass differ from Andrew Lloyd Webber's?
8. How does Jill embody the Women's Liberation Movement? How does this attitude toward life make her a better person?
9. What does FATES WORSE THAN DEATH by humorist Kurt Vonnegut contain?
10. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut is continually unhappy with Christianity throughout the book.
Part 1) Give examples of the behavior of Christians mentioned in the book that would strengthen this attitude towards Christianity.
Part 2) How do groups of Christians mentioned go against or change the meaning of the Bible?
Part 3) Although Vonnegut is not a Christian, he spends quite a bit of time in churches. Do you think, based on his opinion of Christianity, he should have been allowed to speak in churches? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dresden was firebombed in retaliation for previous attacks on the British during World War II.
Part 1) Was Dresden a good choice for the military to bomb? Why or why not?
Part 2) How would you feel if you had been a POW in Dresden during the firebombing?
Part 3) Are there any cities in the world that have been bombed but you feel shouldn't have been?
Essay Topic 3
Television has created a generation that needs not fight to be disillusioned about war.
Part 1) Give examples of how television has been able to do this.
Part 2) Name two other ways television has bettered our society. Explain.
Part 3) What other technology has bettered our world? Explain.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)