|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut wish his father had insisted he study?
2. Even after many years, what is imprinted in Vonnegut's mind?
3. What novel about the state of people's portable souls does Jane ask Vonnegut to read?
4. The gestation period of 'possums is twelve days and Indian elephants twenty-two months. What does the author believe is the gestation period for American liberty?
5. Unlike many short-lived 20th-century art movements, what movement has more enthusiasts than ever?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vonnegut's requiem mass differ from Andrew Lloyd Webber's?
2. Why does Father not enjoy working as an architect?
3. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
4. How does Jill embody the Women's Liberation Movement? How does this attitude toward life make her a better person?
5. How are the Reverend and the Attorney General's Commission on Pornography the same?
6. Although Jill Krementz attends private schools and vacations with the rich as a child, how does she support herself as an adult?
7. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the First Amendment?
8. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the traditional requiem mass?
9. What are four things Vonnegut and O'Hare have in common?
10. What does Hemingway share with Vonnegut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Attorney General's Commission on Pornography is created to protect the public from immoral literature.
Part 1) Does the United States have the right to decide what is moral or immoral? Why or why not?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that reveal the beliefs of this Commission.
Part 3) Do all the members of the Commission "practice what they preach?"
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut considers some people saints.
Part 1) Name two people he considers saints. Why?
Part 2) What do you believe the requirements are for being considered a saint?
Part 3) Who in your life would you consider a saint? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)