|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Vonnegut's grown children jointly own?
2. The author pictures his father as what fictional character waiting for a prince to awaken his career?
3. Who founds the Indianapolis chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous in 1955?
4. According to the Attorney General's Commission, what is worth its expensive price tag?
5. Who is nearing economic, legal, and social equality only in Vonnegut's lifetime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vonnegut's opinion of liberty?
2. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the First Amendment?
3. A unicorn, it is said, will lay its head in a maiden's lap if she sits in a forest clearing. Why is Vonnegut's sister, Alice, the maiden to Father's unicorn?
4. What are four things Vonnegut and O'Hare have in common?
5. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
6. What does FATES WORSE THAN DEATH by humorist Kurt Vonnegut contain?
7. Why does Vonnegut greatly admire anything Anonymous, for example, Alcoholics Anonymous?
8. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
9. How are the Reverend and the Attorney General's Commission on Pornography the same?
10. What are two characteristics of Jackson Pollock's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
People use a variety of techniques to relieve stress and the pressures of life.
Part 1) What are the techniques Vonnegut names?
Part 2) Do they seem to work?
Part 3) What do you do to relieve stress? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mental illness affects several discussed throughout the book.
Part 1) What could be the cause(s) of the Vonnegut family's mental illness?
Part 2) How does Vonnegut's mother's suicide affect his life?
Part 3) How might Vonnegut feel about his own son's mental illness?
Essay Topic 3
19th century British aristocrats are sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency."
Part 1) How do they suffer from this deficiency? Who does this affect other people from different cultures?
Part 2) What other areas of the world have suffered in the same way? How?
Part 3) Do societies still suffers from this deficiency? How?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)