|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose art does Father celebrate, as if it is a Pieta or Sistine chapel ceiling?
2. Why does Vonnegut become cranky when hearing his requiem performed?
3. What does Vonnegut miss from his youth?
4. What is the name of the infant that the Vonneguts adopt?
5. To what does Vonnegut compare censorship's always being on the rise, around, and undiagnosed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Reverend and the Attorney General's Commission on Pornography different?
2. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
3. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
4. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
5. What are four things Vonnegut and O'Hare have in common?
6. How are the Reverend and the Attorney General's Commission on Pornography the same?
7. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
8. What does FATES WORSE THAN DEATH by humorist Kurt Vonnegut contain?
9. Describe the city of Dresden.
10. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters? Support your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of organizations such as CARE and World Vision? IF you organized your own association, what would it be called? What would be the purpose of your organization?
Essay Topic 2
People use a variety of techniques to relieve stress and the pressures of life.
Part 1) What are the techniques Vonnegut names?
Part 2) Do they seem to work?
Part 3) What do you do to relieve stress? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)