|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Vonnegut family expects its family members to go out east to college. Where does the author's dad, Kurt Vonnegut Sr., go to college?
2. To what does Vonnegut compare the lyrics of the new requiem setting?
3. What does Pollock use to control his hands when he paints?
4. What ethnic groups does the Attorney General's Commission label as "terrorists" whenever possible?
5. How do the author and Jill meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
2. What does Vonnegut say when his book is burned?
3. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the traditional requiem mass?
4. What is the Reverend's opinion on banning objectionable books?
5. Describe the city of Dresden.
6. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
7. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
8. What does FATES WORSE THAN DEATH by humorist Kurt Vonnegut contain?
9. Name one similarity and one difference between Jane and Vonnegut.
10. Vonnegut says children relate to the Universe as a one-on-one playmate. What profession does the same? When would members of this profession no longer play this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut is continually unhappy with Christianity throughout the book.
Part 1) Give examples of the behavior of Christians mentioned in the book that would strengthen this attitude towards Christianity.
Part 2) How do groups of Christians mentioned go against or change the meaning of the Bible?
Part 3) Although Vonnegut is not a Christian, he spends quite a bit of time in churches. Do you think, based on his opinion of Christianity, he should have been allowed to speak in churches? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The First Amendment allows Americans the freedom of speech and the press.
Part 1) Although Vonnegut supports this, why does this freedom upset him? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) What part of the First Amendment does the NRA use to support its cause? Do you agree with the way the NRA interprets this freedom?
Part 3) Write a letter to the NRA expressing your opinion about its interpretation of the First Amendment.
Essay Topic 3
People use a variety of techniques to relieve stress and the pressures of life.
Part 1) What are the techniques Vonnegut names?
Part 2) Do they seem to work?
Part 3) What do you do to relieve stress? Explain.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)