|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future?
2. According to the Attorney General's Commission, what is worth its expensive price tag?
3. How much does Vonnegut believe is enough to make a masterpiece? Beyond that, it is like empty talk at the end of a party.
4. Even after many years, what is imprinted in Vonnegut's mind?
5. The Reverend wants which amendment to conform to his version of Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
2. How is Father's reaction to praise for his artwork different from his daughter's?
3. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
4. What is the Reverend's opinion on banning objectionable books?
5. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
6. What is Vonnegut's opinion of liberty?
7. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
8. What is the Folk Society?
9. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
10. What does Vonnegut say when his book is burned?
Essay Topic 1
Dresden was firebombed in retaliation for previous attacks on the British during World War II.
Part 1) Was Dresden a good choice for the military to bomb? Why or why not?
Part 2) How would you feel if you had been a POW in Dresden during the firebombing?
Part 3) Are there any cities in the world that have been bombed but you feel shouldn't have been?
Essay Topic 2
Today's rulers are doing nothing to Nature's stern but reasonable surrender terms.
Part 1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Part 2) What efforts do you make to help the planet?
Part 3) How do you see our planet in 1,000 years?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut believes all writers grow dated.
Part 1) Give a detailed example of proof that this belief could be true.
Part 2) Explain a similarity between Father's architecture career with this belief.
Part 3) How has this belief affected Vonnegut's own writing?
This section contains 1,654 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)