|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut tell Hemingway scholars defines his fellow Midwesterner?
2. Vonnegut Sr. is denied his dreams by what event?
3. Who buys the lake house but allows Vonnegut and his bride to honeymoon there?
4. The Reverend wants which amendment to conform to his version of Christianity?
5. Vonnegut defends what freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
2. What does Vonnegut say when his book is burned?
3. Why does Vonnegut write his own mass?
4. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
5. What is Vonnegut's opinion of liberty?
6. What are two things Vonnegut does not like about President Bush?
7. What are two characteristics of Jackson Pollock's work?
8. What does Hemingway share with Vonnegut?
9. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the traditional requiem mass?
10. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Television has created a generation that needs not fight to be disillusioned about war.
Part 1) Give examples of how television has been able to do this.
Part 2) Name two other ways television has bettered our society. Explain.
Part 3) What other technology has bettered our world? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut says young writers should moralize in a reader-friendly way.
Part 1) Why do you think he says this?
Part 2) Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut poses the question "what are people for?"
Part 1) What do you believe Vonnegut thinks people are for?
Part 2) What do you think people are for?
Part 3) Based on these beliefs, are people being successful at serving their purpose on Earth? Why or why not?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)