|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the infant that the Vonneguts adopt?
2. In his letter to the future, what does Vonnegut say today's rulers are doing to Nature's stern but reasonable surrender terms?
3. Besides Indianapolis what other U.S. city is designed by the architect L'Enfant?
4. In which art form does Father show promise before the Great Depression?
5. Who translates Vonnegut's requiem into Latin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vonnegut say when his book is burned?
2. Although Jill Krementz attends private schools and vacations with the rich as a child, how does she support herself as an adult?
3. What are two things Vonnegut does not like about President Bush?
4. Describe the city of Dresden.
5. How has Hemingway grown dated?
6. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
7. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
8. How are the Reverend and the Attorney General's Commission on Pornography the same?
9. What is Vonnegut's opinion of liberty?
10. Of what significant Indianapolis building is Father the founder? Why is he bitter over the additions made on this building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut says young writers should moralize in a reader-friendly way.
Part 1) Why do you think he says this?
Part 2) Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of organizations such as CARE and World Vision? IF you organized your own association, what would it be called? What would be the purpose of your organization?
Essay Topic 3
Writing books is like any other job, according to Vonnegut.
Part 1) Why does Vonnegut think writing is no more special than any other job?
Part 2) Would you be okay with doing a job that was not important or special to you? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you find any jobs to be more important or more satisfying than others? Explain.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)