|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut believe is declining but could return?
2. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
3. In what year does the author's father die?
4. What practical joke does Vonnegut play at an ROTC inspection?
5. What does Vonnegut miss from his youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
2. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
3. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
4. What historical information does Vonnegut give about requiem masses?
5. A master's degree in anthropology has taught Vonnegut the "villains" are culture, society and history, not drugs. What proof does Vonnegut give of this belief?
6. Why does Vonnegut greatly admire anything Anonymous, for example, Alcoholics Anonymous?
7. What does Vonnegut say when his book is burned?
8. The 20th century is the first to get reliable information about the human condition. Why does Vonnegut believe that this could be a bad thing?
9. Why does Father not enjoy working as an architect?
10. What is the Reverend's opinion on banning objectionable books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The First Amendment allows Americans the freedom of speech and the press.
Part 1) Although Vonnegut supports this, why does this freedom upset him? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) What part of the First Amendment does the NRA use to support its cause? Do you agree with the way the NRA interprets this freedom?
Part 3) Write a letter to the NRA expressing your opinion about its interpretation of the First Amendment.
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut considers some people saints.
Part 1) Name two people he considers saints. Why?
Part 2) What do you believe the requirements are for being considered a saint?
Part 3) Who in your life would you consider a saint? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut says he does not care if he is remembered when he dies.
Part 1) What examples of authors does he give who do want to be remembered?
Part 2) Compare and contrast the reasons why Vonnegut and other writers may or may not want to be remembered.
Part 3) Do you want to be remembered when you die? Why or why not?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)