|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which art form does Father show promise before the Great Depression?
2. The gestation period of 'possums is twelve days and Indian elephants twenty-two months. What does the author believe is the gestation period for American liberty?
3. Vonnegut defends what freedom?
4. In what year does the author's father die?
5. The Reverend finds "Slaughterhouse Five", as well as "Deliverance" and "Catcher in the Rye," falling short in what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. Vonnegut says children relate to the Universe as a one-on-one playmate. What profession does the same? When would members of this profession no longer play this way?
2. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
3. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
4. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
5. A master's degree in anthropology has taught Vonnegut the "villains" are culture, society and history, not drugs. What proof does Vonnegut give of this belief?
6. The 20th century is the first to get reliable information about the human condition. Why does Vonnegut believe that this could be a bad thing?
7. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
8. How has Hemingway grown dated?
9. What is the Reverend's opinion on banning objectionable books?
10. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the traditional requiem mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Father and Alice are encouraged in their art making.
Part 1) How do their reactions differ? How does this affect their futures as artists?
Part 2) How do you react from encouragement and praise?
Part 3) Describe a time when someone's opinion influenced your actions. Did it result in a positive outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut says young writers should moralize in a reader-friendly way.
Part 1) Why do you think he says this?
Part 2) Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mental illness affects several discussed throughout the book.
Part 1) What could be the cause(s) of the Vonnegut family's mental illness?
Part 2) How does Vonnegut's mother's suicide affect his life?
Part 3) How might Vonnegut feel about his own son's mental illness?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)