|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "Religious Revival" Vonnegut describes has two commandments. What are they?
(a) Have no other god but me and other thy father and they mother.
(b) Divide and conquer.
(c) Be free and live in peace.
(d) Stop thinking and obey.
2. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
(a) Reading books.
3. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "The Last Crusade."
(b) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
(c) "A Mature Decision."
(d) "The Children's Crusade."
4. Vonnegut's 1990 article in the New York Times observes that American humorists/satirists grow to be what past a certain age?
(b) Enthusiastic optimists.
(c) Sarcastic old men.
(d) Intolerably unfunny pessimists.
5. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
(a) The Third Time Step.
(b) The Vonnegut Theory.
(c) Oedipus Complex.
(d) The Hippocratic Oath.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Vonnegut compare Bush's presidential campaign?
2. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
3. Who is the author of THE KILIMANJARO DEVICE?
4. How is Vonnegut an advocate for translators?
5. Jane gives birth to how many children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
2. What is Vonnegut's opinion on war?
3. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
4. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
5. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
6. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
7. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
8. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
9. What is the Folk Society?
10. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)