|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane, Vonnegut's first wife, is born a Quaker and dies as a member of what denomination?
(a) Roman Catholic.
2. With what magazine does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique in 1990 to write an article?
(a) National Geographic.
(b) US News and World Report.
(d) The New Yorker.
3. What do many of Vonnegut's books, including this one, not include?
(a) Fantasy creatures.
(b) Individual human beings.
(c) Social groups.
4. How do jokes work?
(a) Jokes connect the listener to other listeners.
(b) Comedians and the audienceshare a funny moment.
(c) By hooking and releasing the listener, causing the release of fight-or-flight chemicals through laughter.
(d) The comedian tells the audience something funny about society that seems outrageous but is true.
5. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "The Children's Crusade."
(b) "A Mature Decision."
(c) "The Last Crusade."
(d) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Vonnegut an advocate for translators?
2. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
3. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
4. How do the MIT students react to Vonnegut's speech?
5. What organization prevents Mozambicans from learning to read and write?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
2. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
3. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
4. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
5. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
6. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
7. What is Vonnegut's opinion on war?
8. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
9. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
10. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)