|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Bishop Vonnegut travels with to the Galapagos?
(a) Bishop Moore.
(b) Bishop Vale.
(c) Bishop Smith.
(d) Bishop Morgan.
2. What does Dr. Robert Redfield insist every society passes through?
(a) The "Marxist Society" stage.
(b) The "Fauvist Society" stage.
(c) The "Modern Society" stage.
(d) The "Folk Society" stage.
3. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
(a) "Hocus Pocus."
(b) "The Nation."
(c) "The House of Mirth."
(d) "Le Petit Prince."
4. Sufferers of what deficiency seek to become members of a crazy artificial extended family?
(a) Gluten Deficiency.
(b) Folk Society Deficiency.
(c) Vitamin B Deficiency.
(d) Auto-Immune Deficiency.
5. According to Vonnegut's speech, what power do the MIT graduates have?
(a) To control the world's resources.
(b) To reign in or let loose enormous forces.
(c) To save the United States from self-destruction.
(d) To find a job in their city of choice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vonnegut describe Reagan's and Bush's war experiences?
2. What does Vonnegut never think he owes to himself or the world?
3. To what does Vonnegut compare Bush's presidential campaign?
4. Where does Vonnegut meet his first wife?
5. Vonnegut's 1990 article in the New York Times observes that American humorists/satirists grow to be what past a certain age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
2. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
3. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
4. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
5. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
6. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
7. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
8. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
9. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
10. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)