|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do jokes work?
(a) The comedian tells the audience something funny about society that seems outrageous but is true.
(b) Jokes connect the listener to other listeners.
(c) Comedians and the audienceshare a funny moment.
(d) By hooking and releasing the listener, causing the release of fight-or-flight chemicals through laughter.
2. What is World Vision?
(a) A Muslim organization bringing the teachings of Mohammed to other cultures.
(b) An American optometrist organization bringing glasses to the underpriveledged.
(c) A Buddhist charity bringing peace to other cultures.
(d) An American Christian charity bringing supplies to refugees.
3. What is the name of the Bishop Vonnegut travels with to the Galapagos?
(a) Bishop Vale.
(b) Bishop Smith.
(c) Bishop Morgan.
(d) Bishop Moore.
4. How does Vonnegut describe Reagan's and Bush's war experiences?
(a) Reagan was a PFC, as was Vonnegut, and Bush was an aviator and war hero.
(b) Both had extensive experiences as members of the military.
(c) One experiences warfare in sanitized movies and the other as an aviator who never has to see his victims.
(d) Neither of them had war experiences.
5. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
(a) It is an organization that encourages country living.
(b) It is isolated geographically and members agree on what life is about and behave uniformly.
(c) It is a wide-spread belief in diversity and acceptance of others.
(d) It is an organization that teaches folk dances of various cultures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut believe most ancient writings, including the Bible, do?
2. Who is the author of THE KILIMANJARO DEVICE?
3. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
4. In THE NATION what does Vonnegut claim is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
5. What do many of Vonnegut's books, including this one, not include?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
2. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
3. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
4. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
5. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
6. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
7. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
8. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
9. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
10. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)