|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rait believe she can say whatever she pleases in English?
(a) She is very opinionated.
(b) She likes speaking in English.
(c) She is a non-native speaker.
(d) She believes that what she has to say is important.
2. How is Vonnegut an advocate for translators?
(a) He pays translators to write his books.
(b) He believes translators should be paid the same royalties as authors.
(c) He believes translators are more important than authors.
(d) He is a translator.
3. With what magazine does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique in 1990 to write an article?
(b) National Geographic.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) US News and World Report.
4. Those with addiction eventually hit rock bottom. Vonnegut believes Western Civilization hit rock bottom in World War I. Unlike those with addictions who admit that their addiction is ruining their lives, how does Western Civilization react to hitting rock bottom?
(a) It reacts in a similar way to those who are addicted.
(b) It buys more electronic devices to distract itself.
(c) It continues to be ignorant of the disease and continues to allow those who are sick to be kept in positions of power.
(d) It realizes that its addiction is affecting human life, but it does not care.
5. Who is the author of THE KILIMANJARO DEVICE?
(a) Ray Bradbury.
(b) Jane Austen.
(c) Mark Vonnegut.
(d) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
2. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
3. Jane, Vonnegut's first wife, is born a Quaker and dies as a member of what denomination?
4. What does Vonnegut believe may unite mankind, by creating a generation that does not need to fight to be disillusioned by war?
5. What organization prevents Mozambicans from learning to read and write?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
2. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
3. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
4. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
5. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
6. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
7. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
8. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
9. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
10. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)