|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sufferers of what deficiency seek to become members of a crazy artificial extended family?
(a) Auto-Immune Deficiency.
(b) Folk Society Deficiency.
(c) Gluten Deficiency.
(d) Vitamin B Deficiency.
2. How does Mark feel about the 1960s?
(a) Mark does not remember the 1960s.
(b) They are not spaced-out, flaky, or self-absorbed times as depicted in movies.
(c) They are just as spaced-out, flaky, and self-absorbed times as depicted in movies.
(d) They are even more spaced-out, flaky, ,and self-absorbed times than depicted in movies.
3. As a writer Vonnegut is an anthropologist and writes about what acculturated primitive people?
(b) Native North Americans.
(c) The Mayans of Central America.
(d) The people in "Skyscraper National Park."
4. How do jokes work?
(a) Comedians and the audienceshare a funny moment.
(b) Jokes connect the listener to other listeners.
(c) The comedian tells the audience something funny about society that seems outrageous but is true.
(d) By hooking and releasing the listener, causing the release of fight-or-flight chemicals through laughter.
5. To what does Vonnegut compare Bush's presidential campaign?
(a) Pornographic sleaze.
(b) Nazi propaganda.
(c) Perfect example of democracy.
(d) East Germany propaganda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What German-American movement did not survive?
2. With what magazine does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique in 1990 to write an article?
3. The "Religious Revival" Vonnegut describes has two commandments. What are they?
4. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
5. How do the MIT students react to Vonnegut's speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
2. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
3. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
4. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
5. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
6. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
7. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
8. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
9. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
10. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)