|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
(a) Oedipus Complex.
(b) The Third Time Step.
(c) The Vonnegut Theory.
(d) The Hippocratic Oath.
2. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
(a) It is an organization that teaches folk dances of various cultures.
(b) It is isolated geographically and members agree on what life is about and behave uniformly.
(c) It is a wide-spread belief in diversity and acceptance of others.
(d) It is an organization that encourages country living.
3. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
(a) It sounds funny.
(b) Rait made this adjustment to her limerick.
(c) The limerick is too long.
(d) This sound replaces dirty language.
4. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
(a) Pierre August Renoir.
(b) Edith Wharton.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
5. Although people with acute mental disorder are less often written off as hopeless, why is there still a lack of certainty for patients and their families?
(a) Psychological testing is dangerous.
(b) Medications can have severe adverse effects.
(c) A dozen separate diseases are still lumped together as schizophrenia/manic depression.
(d) Most patients still have to be institutionalized.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vonnegut's trip to Mozambique make him feel?
2. What other jobs has Vonnegut had?
3. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
4. How do the MIT students react to Vonnegut's speech?
5. What university do Vonnegut's grandfather, father, uncle, and brother attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
2. What is the Folk Society?
3. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
4. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
5. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
6. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
7. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
8. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
9. What is Vonnegut's opinion on war?
10. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)