|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
(b) Mentally retarded.
2. Jane gives birth to how many children?
3. What does Vonnegut dream the world will be like in 1,000 years?
(a) There will be no humankind, because the various world leaders will lead their countries into massive wars.
(b) There will still be rich and poor, but all will be descendants of people who endure insults without committing suicide or murder.
(c) German descendants will be running the planet.
(d) There will be no world in 1,000 years.
4. With what magazine does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique in 1990 to write an article?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) US News and World Report.
(c) National Geographic.
5. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
(a) He lacks a way to let readers off the hook.
(b) He never attempts to tell jokes.
(c) His jokes are immature and childish.
(d) He is skilled at letting readers off the hook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sufferers of what deficiency seek to become members of a crazy artificial extended family?
2. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
3. Those with addiction eventually hit rock bottom. Vonnegut believes Western Civilization hit rock bottom in World War I. Unlike those with addictions who admit that their addiction is ruining their lives, how does Western Civilization react to hitting rock bottom?
4. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
5. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vonnegut's opinion on war?
2. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
3. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
4. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
5. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
6. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
7. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
8. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
9. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
10. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)