|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sponsors Vonnegut's 1990 trip to Mozambique?
(a) World Vision.
(d) Audobon Society.
2. Jane gives birth to how many children?
3. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) Heart of Darkness.
(b) The Dark Continent.
(c) Deep in Darkness.
(d) Land of Darkness.
4. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
(b) Third World Countries.
(c) Presidents Bush and Reagan.
(d) Western Civilization builds weapons and convinces civilians to hate groups of humanity, but they do not want big wars.
5. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
(a) Sending the Tibetans into exhile.
(b) Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
(c) Romans throwing the Christians to the lions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other jobs has Vonnegut had?
2. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
3. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, how many hours of television Failures of Christianity (murders) has one watched by graduation?
4. What pictures would Vonnegut hang if he were president of MIT?
5. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
2. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
3. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
4. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
5. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
6. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
7. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
8. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
9. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
10. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)