|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Robert Redfield insist every society passes through?
(a) The "Marxist Society" stage.
(b) The "Fauvist Society" stage.
(c) The "Modern Society" stage.
(d) The "Folk Society" stage.
2. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
(a) Mentally retarded.
3. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
(a) It is a wide-spread belief in diversity and acceptance of others.
(b) It is an organization that teaches folk dances of various cultures.
(c) It is isolated geographically and members agree on what life is about and behave uniformly.
(d) It is an organization that encourages country living.
4. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
(a) They must ask him many questions about his work.
(b) They must speak Italian, English, as well as another language.
(c) They must do as he says.
(d) They must be more gifted writers than he and speak at least two languages, including his.
5. Why are Germans frightening?
(a) They murder thousands during World War II.
(b) They do not like Jews.
(c) They like to fight those from other cultures.
(d) They like to fight other white people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut believe may unite mankind, by creating a generation that does not need to fight to be disillusioned by war?
2. Although people with acute mental disorder are less often written off as hopeless, why is there still a lack of certainty for patients and their families?
3. What pictures would Vonnegut hang if he were president of MIT?
4. After reading William Styron's DARKNESS VISIBLE how does Vonnegut classify those that are suicidal?
5. Why does Rait believe she can say whatever she pleases in English?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
2. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
3. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
4. What is the Folk Society?
5. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
6. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
7. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
8. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
9. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
10. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)