|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vonnegut compares the young people he addresses to what character in Camelot?
(b) Sir Lancelot.
(d) St. Genevieve.
2. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
(a) He lacks a way to let readers off the hook.
(b) He is skilled at letting readers off the hook.
(c) He never attempts to tell jokes.
(d) His jokes are immature and childish.
3. To what does Vonnegut compare Bush's presidential campaign?
(a) Nazi propaganda.
(b) East Germany propaganda.
(c) Perfect example of democracy.
(d) Pornographic sleaze.
4. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
(a) Western Civilization builds weapons and convinces civilians to hate groups of humanity, but they do not want big wars.
(c) Presidents Bush and Reagan.
(d) Third World Countries.
5. The "Religious Revival" Vonnegut describes has two commandments. What are they?
(a) Stop thinking and obey.
(b) Have no other god but me and other thy father and they mother.
(c) Be free and live in peace.
(d) Divide and conquer.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
2. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
3. What pictures would Vonnegut hang if he were president of MIT?
4. How do jokes work?
5. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vonnegut's opinion on war?
2. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
3. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
4. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
5. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
6. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
7. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
8. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
9. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
10. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)