|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Freethinkers behave?
(a) They humiliate those of other descents.
(b) They behave well, because they are motivated by the idea of heaven and hell.
(c) They are racist thugs.
(d) They behave well, even without the motivation of heaven and hell.
2. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
(a) Third World Countries.
(b) Western Civilization builds weapons and convinces civilians to hate groups of humanity, but they do not want big wars.
(d) Presidents Bush and Reagan.
3. The "Religious Revival" Vonnegut describes has two commandments. What are they?
(a) Divide and conquer.
(b) Stop thinking and obey.
(c) Be free and live in peace.
(d) Have no other god but me and other thy father and they mother.
4. Who is Vonnegut's favorite translator, with whom he falls in platonic love?
(a) Ramon Ramone.
(b) Rita Rait.
(c) Roberta Rambelli.
(d) Rachel Ray.
5. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Edith Wharton.
(c) Pierre August Renoir.
(d) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
2. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
3. What university do Vonnegut's grandfather, father, uncle, and brother attend?
4. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
5. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
2. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
3. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
4. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
5. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
6. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
7. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
8. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
9. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
10. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)