|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Americans are of German descent?
(a) One in three.
(b) One in four.
(c) One in one hundred.
(d) One half.
2. What does Vonnegut dream the world will be like in 1,000 years?
(a) There will be no world in 1,000 years.
(b) There will be no humankind, because the various world leaders will lead their countries into massive wars.
(c) There will still be rich and poor, but all will be descendants of people who endure insults without committing suicide or murder.
(d) German descendants will be running the planet.
3. Sufferers of what deficiency seek to become members of a crazy artificial extended family?
(a) Gluten Deficiency.
(b) Folk Society Deficiency.
(c) Auto-Immune Deficiency.
(d) Vitamin B Deficiency.
4. Those with addiction eventually hit rock bottom. Vonnegut believes Western Civilization hit rock bottom in World War I. Unlike those with addictions who admit that their addiction is ruining their lives, how does Western Civilization react to hitting rock bottom?
(a) It realizes that its addiction is affecting human life, but it does not care.
(b) It buys more electronic devices to distract itself.
(c) It reacts in a similar way to those who are addicted.
(d) It continues to be ignorant of the disease and continues to allow those who are sick to be kept in positions of power.
5. Who sponsors Vonnegut's 1990 trip to Mozambique?
(b) Audobon Society.
(d) World Vision.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut never think he owes to himself or the world?
2. What organization prevents Mozambicans from learning to read and write?
3. What does Vonnegut believe most ancient writings, including the Bible, do?
4. According to Vonnegut's speech, what power do the MIT graduates have?
5. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
2. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
3. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
4. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
5. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
6. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
7. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
8. What is the Folk Society?
9. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
10. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)