|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What university do Vonnegut's grandfather, father, uncle, and brother attend?
2. How is Vonnegut an advocate for translators?
(a) He believes translators should be paid the same royalties as authors.
(b) He pays translators to write his books.
(c) He believes translators are more important than authors.
(d) He is a translator.
3. How does Mark feel about the 1960s?
(a) They are not spaced-out, flaky, or self-absorbed times as depicted in movies.
(b) They are just as spaced-out, flaky, and self-absorbed times as depicted in movies.
(c) Mark does not remember the 1960s.
(d) They are even more spaced-out, flaky, ,and self-absorbed times than depicted in movies.
4. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) Deep in Darkness.
(b) The Dark Continent.
(c) Land of Darkness.
(d) Heart of Darkness.
5. What German-American movement did not survive?
(a) The Deutchland movement.
(b) The German-American Quaker movement.
(c) The German-American Freethinker movement.
(d) The Pennsylvania Dutch movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading William Styron's DARKNESS VISIBLE how does Vonnegut classify those that are suicidal?
2. Jane gives birth to how many children?
3. Why does Rait believe she can say whatever she pleases in English?
4. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
5. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
2. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
3. How does Jane Cox deal with her loneliness when her children are grown and move out?
4. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
5. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
6. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
7. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
8. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
9. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
10. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)