|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vonnegut's 1990 article in the New York Times observes that American humorists/satirists grow to be what past a certain age?
(b) Intolerably unfunny pessimists.
(c) Sarcastic old men.
(d) Enthusiastic optimists.
2. How many Americans are of German descent?
(a) One in three.
(b) One in one hundred.
(c) One half.
(d) One in four.
3. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
(a) They must speak Italian, English, as well as another language.
(b) They must ask him many questions about his work.
(c) They must be more gifted writers than he and speak at least two languages, including his.
(d) They must do as he says.
4. After reading William Styron's DARKNESS VISIBLE how does Vonnegut classify those that are suicidal?
(a) They are either depressed or schizophrenic.
(b) Those that leave notes and those that do not.
(c) Those that blame it on brain wiring and chemistry or those that blame the Universe
(d) Those that are severe and those that are minor.
5. Sufferers of what deficiency seek to become members of a crazy artificial extended family?
(a) Auto-Immune Deficiency.
(b) Gluten Deficiency.
(c) Vitamin B Deficiency.
(d) Folk Society Deficiency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
2. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
3. How do jokes work?
4. Why does Vonnegut feel out of intellectual step with his new neighbors in Cape Cod?
5. What does Dr. Robert Redfield insist every society passes through?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think, based on the information given, Rita Rait enjoys winning the limerick contest? Why or why not?
2. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
3. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
4. What does Vonnegut mean when he tells the MIT graduates that they have the power to turn loose or reign in enormous forces?
5. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
6. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
7. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
8. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
9. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
10. Why does Vonnegut believe Alcoholics Anonymous is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)