|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Vonnegut's favorite translator, with whom he falls in platonic love?
(a) Rita Rait.
(b) Ramon Ramone.
(c) Roberta Rambelli.
(d) Rachel Ray.
2. How is Vonnegut an advocate for translators?
(a) He believes translators are more important than authors.
(b) He pays translators to write his books.
(c) He believes translators should be paid the same royalties as authors.
(d) He is a translator.
3. The "Religious Revival" Vonnegut describes has two commandments. What are they?
(a) Divide and conquer.
(b) Stop thinking and obey.
(c) Have no other god but me and other thy father and they mother.
(d) Be free and live in peace.
4. Why are Germans frightening?
(a) They murder thousands during World War II.
(b) They do not like Jews.
(c) They like to fight other white people.
(d) They like to fight those from other cultures.
5. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
(a) Identity theft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
2. With what magazine does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique in 1990 to write an article?
3. What university do Vonnegut's grandfather, father, uncle, and brother attend?
4. What German-American movement did not survive?
5. To what does Vonnegut compare Bush's presidential campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
2. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
3. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
4. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
5. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
6. What are some examples of humorists who have lost their humor after a certain age? How has their humor been lost?
7. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
8. What is the Folk Society?
9. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
10. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)