|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut never think he owes to himself or the world?
(a) To return to writing.
(b) To forgive his mother.
(c) To become a litigator.
(d) To write a book about Jackson Pollock.
2. Vonnegut compares the young people he addresses to what character in Camelot?
(a) St. Genevieve.
(b) Sir Lancelot.
3. Why are Germans frightening?
(a) They do not like Jews.
(b) They murder thousands during World War II.
(c) They like to fight those from other cultures.
(d) They like to fight other white people.
4. According to Vonnegut's speech, what power do the MIT graduates have?
(a) To control the world's resources.
(b) To find a job in their city of choice.
(c) To save the United States from self-destruction.
(d) To reign in or let loose enormous forces.
5. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, how many hours of television Failures of Christianity (murders) has one watched by graduation?
(a) 80 hours.
(b) 18,000 hours.
(c) 8,000 hours.
(d) 800 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
2. Why does Rait believe she can say whatever she pleases in English?
3. Why does Vonnegut believe Christians have no alternative but to hate and then kill in imaginary self-defense?
4. How many Americans are of German descent?
5. What does Vonnegut dream the world will be like in 1,000 years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Folk Society?
2. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
3. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
4. How is Vonnegut different from other authors mentioned in this chapter?
5. Why does Vonnegut believe Colonialism will bust up all cultures and create a Third World planet?
6. How is RENAMO destroying the beautiful country of Mozambique?
7. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
8. Why should many people take offense to privileged Vonnegut?
9. What terrible thing happens to sufferers of "Folk Society Deficiency," or FSD? Give an example.
10. How are ex-hippies more scarred than Vietnam veterans?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)