|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What German-American movement did not survive?
(a) The German-American Quaker movement.
(b) The Pennsylvania Dutch movement.
(c) The Deutchland movement.
(d) The German-American Freethinker movement.
2. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(b) Pierre August Renoir.
(c) Edith Wharton.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
3. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
(a) Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
(b) Romans throwing the Christians to the lions.
(d) Sending the Tibetans into exhile.
4. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
(b) "The Children's Crusade."
(c) "The Last Crusade."
(d) "A Mature Decision."
5. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
(c) Reading books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
2. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
3. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
4. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
5. Vonnegut compares the young people he addresses to what character in Camelot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name two things Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future.
2. Why is the Italian translator, Roberta Rambelli, Vonnegut's favorite?
3. What is the Folk Society?
4. According to John Yale, what is the Mozambican's true enemy? Why?
5. Although the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is "The Children's Crusade," what are the average ages mentioned of those who died in war?
6. How has Vonnegut's belief in the cause of mental illness changed since the beginning of the book? Why?
7. What have other cultures done to oppress Germans and those of German descent?
8. What are two reasons Vonnegut is skeptical of Christianity?
9. Why do the MIT graduates applaud politely but not take Vonnegut seriously?
10. What does the "Kilimanjaro Device" give as an alternative to Hemingway's shooting himself in the head?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)