|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut assert is often Hemingway's male characters' greatest reward?
(a) Becoming enlightened.
(b) Winning a battle.
(c) Winning the heart of a woman.
(d) Males feeling love for one another in proximity to danger.
2. What happens to all writers?
(a) They grow to be better writers.
(b) They become more famous with age.
(c) Their stories grow more optimistic with each passing year.
(d) They grow dated.
3. Kurt Vonnegut Sr. is respected and loved as a founder of what museum?
(a) The Children's Museum.
(b) The Museum of Natural History.
(c) The Indianapolis Museum of Art.
(d) The Indianapolis 500 Museum.
4. Vonnegut Sr. is denied his dreams by what event?
(a) September 11, 2001.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The Great Depression.
5. Who enacts the Latin requiem text in 1570?
(a) Leonardo da Vinci.
(b) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
(c) Pope Pius V.
(d) Pope John II.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel about the state of people's portable souls does Jane ask Vonnegut to read?
2. How much does Vonnegut believe is enough to make a masterpiece? Beyond that, it is like empty talk at the end of a party.
3. To what author's work does Vonnegut compare the Bill of Rights' First Amendment?
4. Why does Vonnegut become cranky when hearing his requiem performed?
5. What does the author use as a recurrent symbol of U.S. political stupidities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut write his own mass?
2. Why does Father not enjoy working as an architect?
3. What is the Reverend's opinion on banning objectionable books?
4. What historical information does Vonnegut give about requiem masses?
5. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
6. What are four things Vonnegut and O'Hare have in common?
7. Why does Vonnegut greatly admire anything Anonymous, for example, Alcoholics Anonymous?
8. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
9. A unicorn, it is said, will lay its head in a maiden's lap if she sits in a forest clearing. Why is Vonnegut's sister, Alice, the maiden to Father's unicorn?
10. Name one similarity and one difference between Jane and Vonnegut.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)