|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
(a) He does not answer the phone.
(b) He is already at the party.
(c) He is not at home.
(d) He is dead of a heart attack.
2. Although Jill attends private school and vacations with the rich as a child, how does she provide for herself as a grown woman?
(a) Teaching English.
(b) Her photography and children's books.
(c) Running her own restaurant.
(d) Marrying a wealthy man.
3. In Fates Worse Than Death, humorist Kurt Vonnegut examines the blindness of the American people to the hypocrisy of what administration?
(a) Carter Administration.
(b) Smith Administration.
(c) Clinton Administration.
(d) Reagan Administration.
4. Why do psychiatrists believe Mark is a misdiagnosed depressive?
(a) They do not believe that one can recover from schizophrenia.
(b) Mark has all the symptoms of someone who is depressed.
(c) Mark seems sad.
(d) They do not believe that one can recover from bipolar disorder.
5. This book is the sequel to what other book?
(a) Palm Sunday.
(b) Good Friday.
(c) Easter Sunday.
(d) Friday the 13th.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vonnegut Sr. is denied his dreams by what event?
2. Who is the model for Vonnegut's Bill Pilgrim in SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
3. Of what consisting of upper and lower houses is Hemingway a member?
4. What causes the author's mother's untreated insanity?
5. What practical joke does Vonnegut play at an ROTC inspection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Vonnegut says children relate to the Universe as a one-on-one playmate. What profession does the same? When would members of this profession no longer play this way?
2. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
3. What are two characteristics of Jackson Pollock's work?
4. Why do the Vonneguts give themselves a Native American tribal name?
5. A unicorn, it is said, will lay its head in a maiden's lap if she sits in a forest clearing. Why is Vonnegut's sister, Alice, the maiden to Father's unicorn?
6. Although Jill Krementz attends private schools and vacations with the rich as a child, how does she support herself as an adult?
7. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
8. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
9. How is Father's reaction to praise for his artwork different from his daughter's?
10. What does Vonnegut say when his book is burned?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)