|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which art form does Father show promise before the Great Depression?
2. What is the title of the book Jane writes about raising their kids on Cape Cod?
(a) Angels Without Wings.
(b) My Children, My Angels.
(c) Angels in Heaven.
(d) On a Wing and a Prayer.
3. Vonnegut references what Biblical story to his belief that people find life too hard and disappointing to act on repairing it?
(a) Adam and Eve not taking a bite from the forbidden fruit.
(b) Noah's Ark, as a sinking vessel with half its animals already dead.
(c) Buddha sitting by the tree, but not becoming enlightened.
(d) The Last Supper, with Jesus accusing Mark instead of Judas.
4. For what does the traditional requiem ask?
(a) Entrance to the Kingdom of Heaven by Saint Peter.
(b) Eternal rest for the dead, where God's light perpetually shines on them.
(c) A heaven filled with angels playing harps.
(d) Sinners to be damned to Hell for all eternity.
5. The Vonnegut family expects its family members to go out east to college. Where does the author's dad, Kurt Vonnegut Sr., go to college?
Short Answer Questions
1. After high school what does Jill make Manhattan and the world?
2. What does Vonnegut believe all women bottle inside of themselves, which his mother releases unwittingly at midnight?
3. What is the date of Vonnegut's requiem's premier?
4. Why does Vonnegut miss his 50th high school reunion?
5. What tribal name do the Vonneguts give themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the traditional requiem mass?
2. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
3. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters? Support your answer.
4. What are four things Vonnegut and O'Hare have in common?
5. Vonnegut says children relate to the Universe as a one-on-one playmate. What profession does the same? When would members of this profession no longer play this way?
6. Of what significant Indianapolis building is Father the founder? Why is he bitter over the additions made on this building?
7. Compare and contrast the character Billy Pilgrim to the character's model, Joe Crone.
8. The 20th century is the first to get reliable information about the human condition. Why does Vonnegut believe that this could be a bad thing?
9. Why do the Vonneguts give themselves a Native American tribal name?
10. What is the Reverend's opinion on banning objectionable books?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)