|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut believe is declining but could return?
(c) Corporal punishment.
2. Vonnegut references what Biblical story to his belief that people find life too hard and disappointing to act on repairing it?
(a) Adam and Eve not taking a bite from the forbidden fruit.
(b) Buddha sitting by the tree, but not becoming enlightened.
(c) Noah's Ark, as a sinking vessel with half its animals already dead.
(d) The Last Supper, with Jesus accusing Mark instead of Judas.
3. What does Vonnegut wish his father had insisted he study?
4. What choir performs Vonnegut's requiem?
(a) The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
(b) Universalist Unitarian choir.
(c) Hindu choir.
(d) United Methodist choir.
5. Why does Vonnegut feel lucky to have been born in Indianapolis?
(a) He receives a rich and humane primary and secondary education.
(b) It is a beautiful city.
(c) Indianapolis is the center of the art world.
(d) He treasures the friendships he made in Indianapolis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date lives forever in infamy for Vonnegut?
2. Dr. Nancy Andreassen finds that people in what profession tend to be depressive or come from depressive families more often than in the general public?
3. What does Vonnegut tell Hemingway scholars defines his fellow Midwesterner?
4. What does the author use as a recurrent symbol of U.S. political stupidities?
5. Vonnegut is enthusiastic about Pollock's work, but what does he feel is missing from Pollock's paintings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jill embody the Women's Liberation Movement? How does this attitude toward life make her a better person?
2. How does Vonnegut's requiem mass differ from Andrew Lloyd Webber's?
3. What are two characteristics of Jackson Pollock's work?
4. How are the Reverend and the Attorney General's Commission on Pornography the same?
5. What does Vonnegut say when his book is burned?
6. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
7. What is the Reverend's opinion on banning objectionable books?
8. Why does Father not enjoy working as an architect?
9. What historical information does Vonnegut give about requiem masses?
10. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the First Amendment?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)