|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut believe all women bottle inside of themselves, which his mother releases unwittingly at midnight?
(a) Hydrochloric acid.
(b) Hydrofluoric acid.
(c) Hydrogen dioxide.
(d) Carbon dioxide.
2. Who buys the lake house but allows Vonnegut and his bride to honeymoon there?
(a) His friend O'Hare.
(b) His sister.
(c) His uncle.
(d) A stranger.
3. Vonnegut is the third person in his family to have a one-person show and the second to put in time in a "laughing academy." What is he the first to do?
(a) Have an unhappy marriage.
(b) Create art.
(d) Divorce and remarry.
4. What does the U.S. allow for 100 years before diagnosing it as a social disease and fighting it?
(d) Civil war.
5. What limits Algren's popularity?
(a) His foul personality.
(b) A penchant for truth.
(c) His distinct odor.
(d) His lack of connections.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author use as a recurrent symbol of U.S. political stupidities?
2. How are Vonnegut and Elie Wiesel the same?
3. Besides Indianapolis what other U.S. city is designed by the architect L'Enfant?
4. Why do psychiatrists believe Mark is a misdiagnosed depressive?
5. The Reverend wants which amendment to conform to his version of Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. The 20th century is the first to get reliable information about the human condition. Why does Vonnegut believe that this could be a bad thing?
2. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
3. How does Vonnegut's requiem mass differ from Andrew Lloyd Webber's?
4. A master's degree in anthropology has taught Vonnegut the "villains" are culture, society and history, not drugs. What proof does Vonnegut give of this belief?
5. How is Father's reaction to praise for his artwork different from his daughter's?
6. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
7. Why does Vonnegut write his own mass?
8. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
9. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
10. Although Jill Krementz attends private schools and vacations with the rich as a child, how does she support herself as an adult?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)