|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author pictures his father as what fictional character waiting for a prince to awaken his career?
(a) Sleeping Beauty.
(b) Snow White.
(d) Porky Pig.
2. What does Vonnegut say happens to American literary history, that "generations" of writers are separated by less than twenty years?
(a) They have been so foreshortened.
(b) There are more writers.
(c) They are very young.
(d) There are more people being born.
3. What does Vonnegut miss from his youth?
(a) Freedom from knowing humans will render the planet uninhabitable.
(b) The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra.
(c) Friends from school.
(d) The Fourth of July Fireworks.
4. What do Jane and Vonnegut have in common?
(a) They love New York City.
(b) They are both writers.
(c) They both paint.
(d) They are both of German descent.
5. Why does Vonnegut feel lucky to have been born in Indianapolis?
(a) He treasures the friendships he made in Indianapolis.
(b) Indianapolis is the center of the art world.
(c) He receives a rich and humane primary and secondary education.
(d) It is a beautiful city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose art does Father celebrate, as if it is a Pieta or Sistine chapel ceiling?
2. Why is Algren bitter over his masterpiece, The Man with the Golden Arm?
3. In which art form does Father show promise before the Great Depression?
4. What ethnic groups does the Attorney General's Commission label as "terrorists" whenever possible?
5. Vonnegut Sr. is denied his dreams by what event?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
2. Describe the city of Dresden.
3. What is the Reverend's opinion on banning objectionable books?
4. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
5. A master's degree in anthropology has taught Vonnegut the "villains" are culture, society and history, not drugs. What proof does Vonnegut give of this belief?
6. Why does Vonnegut write his own mass?
7. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the First Amendment?
8. What are four things Vonnegut and O'Hare have in common?
9. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
10. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)