|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ethnic groups does the Attorney General's Commission label as "terrorists" whenever possible?
2. Why does Vonnegut become cranky when hearing his requiem performed?
(a) The choir mispronounces the lyrics.
(b) The synthesizer music is not loud enough.
(c) The choir director conducts too quickly.
(d) The synthesizer music overpowers the lyrics.
3. Who is the composer who sets Vonnegut's Latin translation to music?
(a) Dame Edna.
(b) Edith Wharton.
(c) Edgar Degas.
(d) Edgar Grana.
4. How is the character Bill Pilgrim different from Joe Crone?
(a) They are from different cities in the United States.
(b) Bill Pilgrim commits suicide, while Joe Crone become a doctor.
(c) Bill Pilgrim is shy and sad, while Joe Crone is an enthusiastic extrovert.
(d) Joe Crone starves himself to death, while Bill Pilgrim returns home to become an optometrist.
5. The Vonnegut family expects its family members to go out east to college. Where does the author's dad, Kurt Vonnegut Sr., go to college?
Short Answer Questions
1. What art form does Kurt Vonnegut Sr. take up after he retires?
2. He says his father is a rarity among Hoosiers. What other fantasy creature does the author compare his father to?
3. According to the Attorney General's Commission, what is worth its expensive price tag?
4. Who founds the Indianapolis chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous in 1955?
5. What choir performs Vonnegut's requiem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two characteristics of Jackson Pollock's work?
2. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
3. Compare and contrast the character Billy Pilgrim to the character's model, Joe Crone.
4. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters? Support your answer.
5. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
6. What does Hemingway share with Vonnegut?
7. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
8. How does Vonnegut's requiem mass differ from Andrew Lloyd Webber's?
9. What are two things Vonnegut does not like about President Bush?
10. A unicorn, it is said, will lay its head in a maiden's lap if she sits in a forest clearing. Why is Vonnegut's sister, Alice, the maiden to Father's unicorn?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)