|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. He says his father is a rarity among Hoosiers. What other fantasy creature does the author compare his father to?
2. Vonnegut is enthusiastic about Pollock's work, but what does he feel is missing from Pollock's paintings?
(b) A horizon.
(d) Human figures.
3. Who founds the Indianapolis chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous in 1955?
(a) Vonnegut's Uncle Alex.
(b) Vonnegut's sister.
(c) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(d) Vonnegut's mother.
4. What does Vonnegut miss from his youth?
(a) Freedom from knowing humans will render the planet uninhabitable.
(b) The Fourth of July Fireworks.
(c) The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra.
(d) Friends from school.
5. What is the best reason for why Vonnegut's family keeps his mother's insanity and suicide a secret?
(a) They are hoping to avoid repelling prospective in-laws.
(b) They are saddened by her illness and death.
(c) They are in denial.
(d) They are embarrassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vonnegut laments that people can say atrocious things in public, but he is charged with encouraging what?
2. What is the name of Vonnegut's unfinished book depicting a doctor using talk therapy at Auschwitz to treat staff members' depression?
3. What does Pollock use to control his hands when he paints?
4. Vonnegut references what Biblical story to his belief that people find life too hard and disappointing to act on repairing it?
5. What date lives forever in infamy for Vonnegut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Jill Krementz attends private schools and vacations with the rich as a child, how does she support herself as an adult?
2. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
3. Why do the Vonneguts give themselves a Native American tribal name?
4. What does FATES WORSE THAN DEATH by humorist Kurt Vonnegut contain?
5. What is one similarity and one difference between the author and Elie Wiesel?
6. What are four things Vonnegut and O'Hare have in common?
7. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
8. A master's degree in anthropology has taught Vonnegut the "villains" are culture, society and history, not drugs. What proof does Vonnegut give of this belief?
9. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
10. A unicorn, it is said, will lay its head in a maiden's lap if she sits in a forest clearing. Why is Vonnegut's sister, Alice, the maiden to Father's unicorn?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)