|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who buys the lake house but allows Vonnegut and his bride to honeymoon there?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His friend O'Hare.
(c) His sister.
(d) A stranger.
2. Vonnegut is the third person in his family to have a one-person show and the second to put in time in a "laughing academy." What is he the first to do?
(a) Create art.
(c) Divorce and remarry.
(d) Have an unhappy marriage.
3. The Reverend finds "Slaughterhouse Five", as well as "Deliverance" and "Catcher in the Rye," falling short in what way?
(a) In Buddhist doctrines.
(b) In Christian behavior and attitudes.
(c) In promoting his religious quest.
(d) In engaging society in healthy practices.
4. He says his father is a rarity among Hoosiers. What other fantasy creature does the author compare his father to?
5. What does Vonnegut believe it is time to hear?
(a) The cry for freedom.
(b) Cries of love for all people.
(c) The ringing of the Liberty Bell.
(d) Liberty's lusty birth cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut like to write pieces for Architectural Digest?
2. The Attorney General's Commission compares anything that sounds like the Sermon on the Mount to what?
3. What are heavy among the writers Vonnegut cares about?
4. The Vonnegut family expects its family members to go out east to college. Where does the author's dad, Kurt Vonnegut Sr., go to college?
5. What causes the author's mother's untreated insanity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut write his own mass?
2. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
3. A master's degree in anthropology has taught Vonnegut the "villains" are culture, society and history, not drugs. What proof does Vonnegut give of this belief?
4. How does Vonnegut's requiem mass differ from Andrew Lloyd Webber's?
5. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the traditional requiem mass?
6. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the First Amendment?
7. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
8. What does Hemingway share with Vonnegut?
9. Name one similarity and one difference between Jane and Vonnegut.
10. The 20th century is the first to get reliable information about the human condition. Why does Vonnegut believe that this could be a bad thing?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)