|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Vonnegut believe a writer's opinion about vocal third parties differs from that of a visual artist?
(a) Writing is tedious, so intruders, or third parties, are refreshing.
(b) They believe third parties are annoying.
(c) They grow insecure when third parties give their opinions.
(d) They dislike third parties as much as artists.
2. What limits Algren's popularity?
(a) A penchant for truth.
(b) His distinct odor.
(c) His foul personality.
(d) His lack of connections.
3. What do Jane and Vonnegut have in common?
(a) They love New York City.
(b) They both paint.
(c) They are both of German descent.
(d) They are both writers.
4. In Fates Worse Than Death, humorist Kurt Vonnegut examines the blindness of the American people to the hypocrisy of what administration?
(a) Smith Administration.
(b) Reagan Administration.
(c) Clinton Administration.
(d) Carter Administration.
5. What date lives forever in infamy for Vonnegut?
(a) His sister's birth.
(b) The day he is first married.
(c) O'Hare's death.
(d) the day of his mother's suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the book Jane writes about raising their kids on Cape Cod?
2. What does Vonnegut tell 1990 graduates of the University of Rhode Island?
3. After high school what does Jill make Manhattan and the world?
4. Vonnegut references what Biblical story to his belief that people find life too hard and disappointing to act on repairing it?
5. Vonnegut believes that the goal in the U.S. is only to train intelligent, well-educated people to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what significant Indianapolis building is Father the founder? Why is he bitter over the additions made on this building?
2. What examples does Vonnegut give to show that male bonding is important to men?
3. What does FATES WORSE THAN DEATH by humorist Kurt Vonnegut contain?
4. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
5. Why does Vonnegut write his own mass?
6. Why do the Vonneguts give themselves a Native American tribal name?
7. The 20th century is the first to get reliable information about the human condition. Why does Vonnegut believe that this could be a bad thing?
8. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the traditional requiem mass?
9. What is one similarity and one difference between the author and Elie Wiesel?
10. What are two things Vonnegut does not like about President Bush?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)