|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Reverend wants which amendment to conform to his version of Christianity?
(a) The Second Amendment.
(b) The Twenty-First Amendment.
(c) The First Amendment.
(d) The Twenty-Seventh Amendment.
2. What is Vonnegut's opinion of Charlton Heston's commercials advocating that civilians keep military weapons?
(a) Vonnegut believes military weapons, like loathsome germs, kill people every day and does not approve of the commercials.
(b) He would like to be able to join Heston in the commercials.
(c) Vonnegut sees nothing wrong with encouraging the general public to carry military weapons.
(d) He finds them to be entertaining.
3. Why is Algren bitter over his masterpiece, The Man with the Golden Arm?
(a) He does not like the how it ends.
(b) He does not think it is a masterpiece.
(c) He fears he will not be able to create another masterpiece.
(d) He receives very little for his masterpiece.
4. Who is the Cody, Wyoming, artist who is America's foremost adventurer in the Abstract Expressionist movement?
(a) George Segal.
(b) Jackson Pollock.
(c) Mary Cassatt.
(d) Keith Haring.
5. What does Vonnegut tell 1990 graduates of the University of Rhode Island?
(a) They should enjoy this day, because real life begins tomorrow.
(b) Colleges should spread the important stuff over four years, instead of saving it all up for the very end.
(c) He wishes he could have been a graduate of the University of Rhode Island.
(d) College is a waste of time, and they should make the world their university.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Vonnegut drawn to the text?
2. What does Vonnegut wish his father had insisted he study?
3. Unlike many short-lived 20th-century art movements, what movement has more enthusiasts than ever?
4. For what does the traditional requiem ask?
5. Who translates Vonnegut's requiem into Latin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the First Amendment?
2. How is Father's reaction to praise for his artwork different from his daughter's?
3. What is Vonnegut's opinion of the traditional requiem mass?
4. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
5. What does Hemingway share with Vonnegut?
6. Compare and contrast the character Billy Pilgrim to the character's model, Joe Crone.
7. Name one similarity and one difference between Jane and Vonnegut.
8. Why do the Vonneguts give themselves a Native American tribal name?
9. Vonnegut says children relate to the Universe as a one-on-one playmate. What profession does the same? When would members of this profession no longer play this way?
10. What is Vonnegut's opinion of liberty?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)