|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the infant that the Vonneguts adopt?
2. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
(a) He does not answer the phone.
(b) He is dead of a heart attack.
(c) He is already at the party.
(d) He is not at home.
3. How is the character Bill Pilgrim different from Joe Crone?
(a) Joe Crone starves himself to death, while Bill Pilgrim returns home to become an optometrist.
(b) Bill Pilgrim is shy and sad, while Joe Crone is an enthusiastic extrovert.
(c) Bill Pilgrim commits suicide, while Joe Crone become a doctor.
(d) They are from different cities in the United States.
4. What does the Reverend oppose?
(b) Using fertility drugs to become pregnant.
(c) The demi-god given right to consider any idea one wants.
(d) stemcell research.
5. According to the Attorney General's Commission, what is worth its expensive price tag?
(a) billion-dollar condominiums.
(b) billion-dollar airplanes.
(c) billion-dollar NASA spacecraft.
(d) billion-dollar financial institutions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Requiem masses are customarily sung in what language?
2. How are Vonnegut and Elie Wiesel the same?
3. What does Vonnegut wish his father had insisted he study?
4. Dr. Nancy Andreassen finds that people in what profession tend to be depressive or come from depressive families more often than in the general public?
5. What is the name of Vonnegut's unfinished book depicting a doctor using talk therapy at Auschwitz to treat staff members' depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway share with Vonnegut?
2. What is Vonnegut's opinion of liberty?
3. A unicorn, it is said, will lay its head in a maiden's lap if she sits in a forest clearing. Why is Vonnegut's sister, Alice, the maiden to Father's unicorn?
4. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
5. What is one similarity and one difference between the author and Elie Wiesel?
6. Why does Father not enjoy working as an architect?
7. How is Father's reaction to praise for his artwork different from his daughter's?
8. Describe the city of Dresden.
9. What does Vonnegut say when his book is burned?
10. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)