|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut believe is declining but could return?
(c) Corporal punishment.
2. What practical joke does Vonnegut play at an ROTC inspection?
(a) He tells knock knock jokes.
(b) He dresses like a clown.
(c) He wears every sort of medal he can find.
(d) He wears a Boy Scout uniform.
3. Vonnegut Sr. is denied his dreams by what event?
(a) World War I.
(b) September 11, 2001.
(c) The Great Depression.
(d) The Civil War.
4. Who is the Cody, Wyoming, artist who is America's foremost adventurer in the Abstract Expressionist movement?
(a) Keith Haring.
(b) Jackson Pollock.
(c) George Segal.
(d) Mary Cassatt.
5. What does Vonnegut believe is the cause of mental illness?
(a) Mental illness is caused by the sufferer's environment.
(b) Mental illness is chemically based.
(c) A cold is the main cause of mental illness.
(d) Early trauma causes mental illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vonnegut's sarcasm referring to when he mentions scales falling from his eyes?
2. Besides Indianapolis what other U.S. city is designed by the architect L'Enfant?
3. The Reverend finds "Slaughterhouse Five", as well as "Deliverance" and "Catcher in the Rye," falling short in what way?
4. Why does Vonnegut like to write pieces for Architectural Digest?
5. Who is the composer of the new requiem setting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Vonneguts give themselves a Native American tribal name?
2. What are two things Vonnegut does not like about President Bush?
3. How does Vonnegut's requiem mass differ from Andrew Lloyd Webber's?
4. What makes Alice a lazy artist?
5. Describe Vonnegut's experiences at Lake Maxincuckee.
6. Why does Vonnegut say the NRA is incorrect in its use of Article II of the Bill of Rights?
7. How can you tell Vonnegut does not value medals and awards?
8. What are four things Vonnegut and O'Hare have in common?
9. What is a possible reason for Jane's English relatives not wanting her to marry a German?
10. What does Hemingway share with Vonnegut?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)