|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
(a) She creates a competition and enters her own work.
(b) She is the best limerick writer in Russia.
(c) She wins the prize left by an eccentric British millionaire for the wittiest original limerick.
(d) She is married to the judge.
2. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
(a) He lacks a way to let readers off the hook.
(b) He is skilled at letting readers off the hook.
(c) His jokes are immature and childish.
(d) He never attempts to tell jokes.
3. What German-American movement did not survive?
(a) The German-American Freethinker movement.
(b) The Pennsylvania Dutch movement.
(c) The Deutchland movement.
(d) The German-American Quaker movement.
4. What is World Vision?
(a) A Buddhist charity bringing peace to other cultures.
(b) An American Christian charity bringing supplies to refugees.
(c) A Muslim organization bringing the teachings of Mohammed to other cultures.
(d) An American optometrist organization bringing glasses to the underpriveledged.
5. How is Vonnegut an advocate for translators?
(a) He believes translators are more important than authors.
(b) He pays translators to write his books.
(c) He is a translator.
(d) He believes translators should be paid the same royalties as authors.
6. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
(a) Presidents Bush and Reagan.
(b) Third World Countries.
(c) Western Civilization builds weapons and convinces civilians to hate groups of humanity, but they do not want big wars.
7. Vonnegut compares the young people he addresses to what character in Camelot?
(b) St. Genevieve.
(d) Sir Lancelot.
8. What is an example of a book that Vonnegut believes moralizes?
(a) "Lord of the Rings."
(b) "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing."
(d) "Gulliver's Travels."
9. How many Americans are of German descent?
(a) One in three.
(b) One in one hundred.
(c) One in four.
(d) One half.
10. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) Land of Darkness.
(b) Heart of Darkness.
(c) Deep in Darkness.
(d) The Dark Continent.
11. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Pierre August Renoir.
(c) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(d) Edith Wharton.
12. What is a scheme of self-defense that only maligned and oppressed minorities should be allowed to use?
13. As a writer Vonnegut is an anthropologist and writes about what acculturated primitive people?
(a) The people in "Skyscraper National Park."
(b) Native North Americans.
(c) The Mayans of Central America.
14. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
(a) This sound replaces dirty language.
(b) It sounds funny.
(c) The limerick is too long.
(d) Rait made this adjustment to her limerick.
15. Why are Germans frightening?
(a) They murder thousands during World War II.
(b) They like to fight those from other cultures.
(c) They do not like Jews.
(d) They like to fight other white people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What university do Vonnegut's grandfather, father, uncle, and brother attend?
2. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
3. How does Mark feel about the 1960s?
4. What is the name of the Bishop Vonnegut travels with to the Galapagos?
5. What will bust up all cultures and create a Third-World planet?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)