|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what magazine does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique in 1990 to write an article?
(b) US News and World Report.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) National Geographic.
2. What does Vonnegut believe most ancient writings, including the Bible, do?
3. With whom does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique?
(a) John Yale.
(b) Mark Vonnegut.
(c) Jill Krementz.
(d) Bill Pilgrim.
4. How does Vonnegut's trip to Mozambique make him feel?
(c) Emotionally empty.
(d) Physically drained.
5. What do many of Vonnegut's books, including this one, not include?
(a) Fantasy creatures.
(b) Social groups.
(c) Individual human beings.
6. How many Americans are of German descent?
(a) One half.
(b) One in four.
(c) One in one hundred.
(d) One in three.
7. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
(a) The limerick is too long.
(b) This sound replaces dirty language.
(c) Rait made this adjustment to her limerick.
(d) It sounds funny.
8. What tough question does Vonnegut's book "Player Piano" ask?
(a) What are people for?
(b) When will there be world peace?
(c) What will happen to our planet in the future?
(d) Why do people hurt one another?
9. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "The Children's Crusade."
(b) "The Last Crusade."
(c) "A Mature Decision."
(d) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
10. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) The Dark Continent.
(b) Heart of Darkness.
(c) Deep in Darkness.
(d) Land of Darkness.
11. As a writer Vonnegut is an anthropologist and writes about what acculturated primitive people?
(b) The people in "Skyscraper National Park."
(c) The Mayans of Central America.
(d) Native North Americans.
12. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
(b) Identity theft.
13. What organization prevents Mozambicans from learning to read and write?
(b) World Vision.
14. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
(a) Oedipus Complex.
(b) The Vonnegut Theory.
(c) The Hippocratic Oath.
(d) The Third Time Step.
15. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
(a) She is the best limerick writer in Russia.
(b) She creates a competition and enters her own work.
(c) She wins the prize left by an eccentric British millionaire for the wittiest original limerick.
(d) She is married to the judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is World Vision?
2. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
3. Sufferers of what deficiency seek to become members of a crazy artificial extended family?
4. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
5. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)