|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is World Vision?
(a) An American Christian charity bringing supplies to refugees.
(b) A Buddhist charity bringing peace to other cultures.
(c) A Muslim organization bringing the teachings of Mohammed to other cultures.
(d) An American optometrist organization bringing glasses to the underpriveledged.
2. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "A Mature Decision."
(b) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
(c) "The Last Crusade."
(d) "The Children's Crusade."
3. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
(b) Romans throwing the Christians to the lions.
(c) Sending the Tibetans into exhile.
(d) Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
4. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
(a) Edith Wharton.
(b) Pierre August Renoir.
(c) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
5. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
(a) He is skilled at letting readers off the hook.
(b) He lacks a way to let readers off the hook.
(c) He never attempts to tell jokes.
(d) His jokes are immature and childish.
6. What pictures would Vonnegut hang if he were president of MIT?
(a) Bob Fosse's Sally Bowles.
(b) Robert Lewis Stevenson's Edward Hyde.
(c) Pictures of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's "Frankenstein" monster.
(d) JK Rowling's Harry Potter.
7. What is a scheme of self-defense that only maligned and oppressed minorities should be allowed to use?
8. What tough question does Vonnegut's book "Player Piano" ask?
(a) Why do people hurt one another?
(b) What will happen to our planet in the future?
(c) What are people for?
(d) When will there be world peace?
9. As a writer Vonnegut is an anthropologist and writes about what acculturated primitive people?
(b) Native North Americans.
(c) The Mayans of Central America.
(d) The people in "Skyscraper National Park."
10. Vonnegut's 1990 article in the New York Times observes that American humorists/satirists grow to be what past a certain age?
(b) Intolerably unfunny pessimists.
(c) Sarcastic old men.
(d) Enthusiastic optimists.
11. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) Deep in Darkness.
(b) Land of Darkness.
(c) Heart of Darkness.
(d) The Dark Continent.
12. With whom does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique?
(a) Jill Krementz.
(b) Mark Vonnegut.
(c) John Yale.
(d) Bill Pilgrim.
13. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
(a) "Hocus Pocus."
(b) "Le Petit Prince."
(c) "The Nation."
(d) "The House of Mirth."
14. How does Vonnegut describe Reagan's and Bush's war experiences?
(a) Neither of them had war experiences.
(b) Both had extensive experiences as members of the military.
(c) Reagan was a PFC, as was Vonnegut, and Bush was an aviator and war hero.
(d) One experiences warfare in sanitized movies and the other as an aviator who never has to see his victims.
15. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
(a) Riding a bike.
(b) Any other job.
(c) Singing a song.
(d) Eating a peanut butter sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
2. Who is Vonnegut's favorite translator, with whom he falls in platonic love?
3. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
4. What will bust up all cultures and create a Third-World planet?
5. Those with addiction eventually hit rock bottom. Vonnegut believes Western Civilization hit rock bottom in World War I. Unlike those with addictions who admit that their addiction is ruining their lives, how does Western Civilization react to hitting rock bottom?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)