|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, how many hours of television Failures of Christianity (murders) has one watched by graduation?
(a) 800 hours.
(b) 80 hours.
(c) 18,000 hours.
(d) 8,000 hours.
2. What does Dr. Robert Redfield insist every society passes through?
(a) The "Folk Society" stage.
(b) The "Modern Society" stage.
(c) The "Marxist Society" stage.
(d) The "Fauvist Society" stage.
3. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
(a) Oedipus Complex.
(b) The Hippocratic Oath.
(c) The Third Time Step.
(d) The Vonnegut Theory.
4. What tough question does Vonnegut's book "Player Piano" ask?
(a) When will there be world peace?
(b) What will happen to our planet in the future?
(c) What are people for?
(d) Why do people hurt one another?
5. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "The Last Crusade."
(b) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
(c) "The Children's Crusade."
(d) "A Mature Decision."
6. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
(a) Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
(c) Sending the Tibetans into exhile.
(d) Romans throwing the Christians to the lions.
7. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) Land of Darkness.
(b) Heart of Darkness.
(c) Deep in Darkness.
(d) The Dark Continent.
8. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
(c) Mentally retarded.
9. How does Mark feel about the 1960s?
(a) They are just as spaced-out, flaky, and self-absorbed times as depicted in movies.
(b) They are even more spaced-out, flaky, ,and self-absorbed times than depicted in movies.
(c) Mark does not remember the 1960s.
(d) They are not spaced-out, flaky, or self-absorbed times as depicted in movies.
10. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
(a) He is skilled at letting readers off the hook.
(b) He never attempts to tell jokes.
(c) He lacks a way to let readers off the hook.
(d) His jokes are immature and childish.
11. What organization prevents Mozambicans from learning to read and write?
(b) World Vision.
12. What is the name of the Bishop Vonnegut travels with to the Galapagos?
(a) Bishop Moore.
(b) Bishop Morgan.
(c) Bishop Vale.
(d) Bishop Smith.
13. Those with addiction eventually hit rock bottom. Vonnegut believes Western Civilization hit rock bottom in World War I. Unlike those with addictions who admit that their addiction is ruining their lives, how does Western Civilization react to hitting rock bottom?
(a) It buys more electronic devices to distract itself.
(b) It reacts in a similar way to those who are addicted.
(c) It realizes that its addiction is affecting human life, but it does not care.
(d) It continues to be ignorant of the disease and continues to allow those who are sick to be kept in positions of power.
14. How is Vonnegut an advocate for translators?
(a) He believes translators should be paid the same royalties as authors.
(b) He believes translators are more important than authors.
(c) He is a translator.
(d) He pays translators to write his books.
15. Why are Germans frightening?
(a) They like to fight other white people.
(b) They murder thousands during World War II.
(c) They like to fight those from other cultures.
(d) They do not like Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do jokes work?
2. Who is the author of THE KILIMANJARO DEVICE?
3. What university do Vonnegut's grandfather, father, uncle, and brother attend?
4. What is a scheme of self-defense that only maligned and oppressed minorities should be allowed to use?
5. How do the Freethinkers behave?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)