|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In THE NATION what does Vonnegut claim is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
(a) Modern Dance.
(b) Alcoholics Anonymous.
(d) Abstract Expressionism.
2. What does Vonnegut never think he owes to himself or the world?
(a) To become a litigator.
(b) To write a book about Jackson Pollock.
(c) To forgive his mother.
(d) To return to writing.
3. Vonnegut's 1990 article in the New York Times observes that American humorists/satirists grow to be what past a certain age?
(a) Sarcastic old men.
(c) Intolerably unfunny pessimists.
(d) Enthusiastic optimists.
4. What is World Vision?
(a) An American Christian charity bringing supplies to refugees.
(b) A Muslim organization bringing the teachings of Mohammed to other cultures.
(c) A Buddhist charity bringing peace to other cultures.
(d) An American optometrist organization bringing glasses to the underpriveledged.
5. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
(a) Romans throwing the Christians to the lions.
(b) Sending the Tibetans into exhile.
(d) Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
6. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
(a) Riding a bike.
(b) Eating a peanut butter sandwich.
(c) Singing a song.
(d) Any other job.
7. How many Americans are of German descent?
(a) One in one hundred.
(b) One in four.
(c) One in three.
(d) One half.
8. Who is the author of THE KILIMANJARO DEVICE?
(a) Ray Bradbury.
(b) Jane Austen.
(c) Mark Vonnegut.
(d) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
9. What is a scheme of self-defense that only maligned and oppressed minorities should be allowed to use?
10. How does Vonnegut's trip to Mozambique make him feel?
(c) Emotionally empty.
(d) Physically drained.
11. What other jobs has Vonnegut had?
(a) Stenographer, actor, sailor, and fisherman.
(b) Creates industrial advertising, sells cars, invents a boardgame, teaches private school.
(c) Muralist, cellist, and pro motocross rider.
(d) Legal analyst, computer technician, magician, and lawyer.
12. What German-American movement did not survive?
(a) The German-American Quaker movement.
(b) The Pennsylvania Dutch movement.
(c) The German-American Freethinker movement.
(d) The Deutchland movement.
13. What is the name of the Bishop Vonnegut travels with to the Galapagos?
(a) Bishop Moore.
(b) Bishop Vale.
(c) Bishop Morgan.
(d) Bishop Smith.
14. Vonnegut compares the young people he addresses to what character in Camelot?
(c) Sir Lancelot.
(d) St. Genevieve.
15. Why are Germans frightening?
(a) They like to fight other white people.
(b) They murder thousands during World War II.
(c) They do not like Jews.
(d) They like to fight those from other cultures.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Vonnegut compare Bush's presidential campaign?
2. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
3. How does Mark feel about the 1960s?
4. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
5. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)