|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Germans frightening?
(a) They like to fight other white people.
(b) They do not like Jews.
(c) They murder thousands during World War II.
(d) They like to fight those from other cultures.
2. Jane, Vonnegut's first wife, is born a Quaker and dies as a member of what denomination?
(d) Roman Catholic.
3. How does Mark feel about the 1960s?
(a) Mark does not remember the 1960s.
(b) They are even more spaced-out, flaky, ,and self-absorbed times than depicted in movies.
(c) They are not spaced-out, flaky, or self-absorbed times as depicted in movies.
(d) They are just as spaced-out, flaky, and self-absorbed times as depicted in movies.
4. What other jobs has Vonnegut had?
(a) Creates industrial advertising, sells cars, invents a boardgame, teaches private school.
(b) Muralist, cellist, and pro motocross rider.
(c) Legal analyst, computer technician, magician, and lawyer.
(d) Stenographer, actor, sailor, and fisherman.
5. With whom does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique?
(a) Bill Pilgrim.
(b) John Yale.
(c) Jill Krementz.
(d) Mark Vonnegut.
6. Why does Vonnegut feel out of intellectual step with his new neighbors in Cape Cod?
(a) He is not as intelligent as others in Cape Cod.
(b) He is a non-Anglo-Saxon.
(c) He is not as wealthy as other in Cape Cod.
(d) He is an Anglo-Saxon.
7. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
(a) Rait made this adjustment to her limerick.
(b) This sound replaces dirty language.
(c) It sounds funny.
(d) The limerick is too long.
8. What does Vonnegut believe most ancient writings, including the Bible, do?
9. Why are ex-hippies ashamed to belong to their social class?
(a) The social class is so pandered to by the administration that its young do not have to go and do not want to go to war.
(b) They are embarrassed by their actions in the 1960s.
(c) They wish they had participated in the Vietnam War.
(d) They despise Vietnam vets.
10. To what does Vonnegut compare Bush's presidential campaign?
(a) Pornographic sleaze.
(b) Perfect example of democracy.
(c) Nazi propaganda.
(d) East Germany propaganda.
11. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
(a) She creates a competition and enters her own work.
(b) She is married to the judge.
(c) She wins the prize left by an eccentric British millionaire for the wittiest original limerick.
(d) She is the best limerick writer in Russia.
12. With what magazine does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique in 1990 to write an article?
(a) National Geographic.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) US News and World Report.
13. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Edith Wharton.
(d) Pierre August Renoir.
14. Those with addiction eventually hit rock bottom. Vonnegut believes Western Civilization hit rock bottom in World War I. Unlike those with addictions who admit that their addiction is ruining their lives, how does Western Civilization react to hitting rock bottom?
(a) It buys more electronic devices to distract itself.
(b) It continues to be ignorant of the disease and continues to allow those who are sick to be kept in positions of power.
(c) It realizes that its addiction is affecting human life, but it does not care.
(d) It reacts in a similar way to those who are addicted.
15. Vonnegut compares the young people he addresses to what character in Camelot?
(b) St. Genevieve.
(d) Sir Lancelot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Robert Redfield insist every society passes through?
2. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
3. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
4. Although people with acute mental disorder are less often written off as hopeless, why is there still a lack of certainty for patients and their families?
5. Where does Vonnegut meet his first wife?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)