|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane, Vonnegut's first wife, is born a Quaker and dies as a member of what denomination?
(b) Roman Catholic.
2. How does Vonnegut's trip to Mozambique make him feel?
(a) Physically drained.
(b) Emotionally empty.
3. Why does Vonnegut believe Christians have no alternative but to hate and then kill in imaginary self-defense?
(a) Christians try and fail to love continually.
(b) Christians know there is a time to kill, as well as a time to heal.
(c) The religious leaders encourage them to hate others.
(d) They are trying to convert others but fail.
4. What does Dr. Robert Redfield insist every society passes through?
(a) The "Modern Society" stage.
(b) The "Marxist Society" stage.
(c) The "Folk Society" stage.
(d) The "Fauvist Society" stage.
5. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
(a) They must be more gifted writers than he and speak at least two languages, including his.
(b) They must ask him many questions about his work.
(c) They must do as he says.
(d) They must speak Italian, English, as well as another language.
6. What tough question does Vonnegut's book "Player Piano" ask?
(a) When will there be world peace?
(b) Why do people hurt one another?
(c) What are people for?
(d) What will happen to our planet in the future?
7. What is World Vision?
(a) A Muslim organization bringing the teachings of Mohammed to other cultures.
(b) A Buddhist charity bringing peace to other cultures.
(c) An American Christian charity bringing supplies to refugees.
(d) An American optometrist organization bringing glasses to the underpriveledged.
8. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
(a) It is an organization that teaches folk dances of various cultures.
(b) It is an organization that encourages country living.
(c) It is isolated geographically and members agree on what life is about and behave uniformly.
(d) It is a wide-spread belief in diversity and acceptance of others.
9. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
(a) The Vonnegut Theory.
(b) The Hippocratic Oath.
(c) Oedipus Complex.
(d) The Third Time Step.
10. What other jobs has Vonnegut had?
(a) Muralist, cellist, and pro motocross rider.
(b) Stenographer, actor, sailor, and fisherman.
(c) Legal analyst, computer technician, magician, and lawyer.
(d) Creates industrial advertising, sells cars, invents a boardgame, teaches private school.
11. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(b) Pierre August Renoir.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Edith Wharton.
12. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
(b) "The Last Crusade."
(c) "A Mature Decision."
(d) "The Children's Crusade."
13. With what magazine does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique in 1990 to write an article?
(a) US News and World Report.
(b) The New Yorker.
(d) National Geographic.
14. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
(a) Eating a peanut butter sandwich.
(b) Any other job.
(c) Riding a bike.
(d) Singing a song.
15. What does Vonnegut dream the world will be like in 1,000 years?
(a) There will be no humankind, because the various world leaders will lead their countries into massive wars.
(b) There will still be rich and poor, but all will be descendants of people who endure insults without committing suicide or murder.
(c) There will be no world in 1,000 years.
(d) German descendants will be running the planet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What German-American movement did not survive?
2. Who is the author of THE KILIMANJARO DEVICE?
3. What does Vonnegut never think he owes to himself or the world?
4. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
5. To what does Vonnegut compare ignoring distractions and repeating a mantra?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)