|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are ex-hippies ashamed to belong to their social class?
(a) The social class is so pandered to by the administration that its young do not have to go and do not want to go to war.
(b) They are embarrassed by their actions in the 1960s.
(c) They despise Vietnam vets.
(d) They wish they had participated in the Vietnam War.
2. What is the name of the Bishop Vonnegut travels with to the Galapagos?
(a) Bishop Vale.
(b) Bishop Moore.
(c) Bishop Morgan.
(d) Bishop Smith.
3. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
(a) The limerick is too long.
(b) This sound replaces dirty language.
(c) It sounds funny.
(d) Rait made this adjustment to her limerick.
4. What is a scheme of self-defense that only maligned and oppressed minorities should be allowed to use?
5. Why does Vonnegut feel out of intellectual step with his new neighbors in Cape Cod?
(a) He is a non-Anglo-Saxon.
(b) He is not as intelligent as others in Cape Cod.
(c) He is an Anglo-Saxon.
(d) He is not as wealthy as other in Cape Cod.
6. According to Vonnegut's speech, what power do the MIT graduates have?
(a) To save the United States from self-destruction.
(b) To reign in or let loose enormous forces.
(c) To find a job in their city of choice.
(d) To control the world's resources.
7. Jane, Vonnegut's first wife, is born a Quaker and dies as a member of what denomination?
(a) Roman Catholic.
8. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
(b) Mentally retarded.
9. How do the MIT students react to Vonnegut's speech?
(a) They applaud politely but do not take him seriously.
(b) They are convinced and accept his challenge.
(c) They are appalled by his speech.
(d) They cheer enthusiastically.
10. What tough question does Vonnegut's book "Player Piano" ask?
(a) What are people for?
(b) When will there be world peace?
(c) Why do people hurt one another?
(d) What will happen to our planet in the future?
11. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
(a) Third World Countries.
(c) Presidents Bush and Reagan.
(d) Western Civilization builds weapons and convinces civilians to hate groups of humanity, but they do not want big wars.
12. What does Vonnegut require of translators?
(a) They must do as he says.
(b) They must ask him many questions about his work.
(c) They must speak Italian, English, as well as another language.
(d) They must be more gifted writers than he and speak at least two languages, including his.
13. Who is the author of THE KILIMANJARO DEVICE?
(a) Ray Bradbury.
(b) Mark Vonnegut.
(c) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(d) Jane Austen.
14. What will bust up all cultures and create a Third-World planet?
15. In THE NATION what does Vonnegut claim is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
(b) Alcoholics Anonymous.
(c) Modern Dance.
(d) Abstract Expressionism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
2. What does Vonnegut believe may unite mankind, by creating a generation that does not need to fight to be disillusioned by war?
3. Why are Germans frightening?
4. What pictures would Vonnegut hang if he were president of MIT?
5. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)