|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Vonnegut meet his first wife?
(a) The symphony.
(b) An art gallery.
(d) An automobile race.
2. How do the MIT students react to Vonnegut's speech?
(a) They are appalled by his speech.
(b) They are convinced and accept his challenge.
(c) They applaud politely but do not take him seriously.
(d) They cheer enthusiastically.
3. What German-American movement did not survive?
(a) The German-American Quaker movement.
(b) The German-American Freethinker movement.
(c) The Deutchland movement.
(d) The Pennsylvania Dutch movement.
4. Why does Rait believe she can say whatever she pleases in English?
(a) She is very opinionated.
(b) She is a non-native speaker.
(c) She likes speaking in English.
(d) She believes that what she has to say is important.
5. After reading William Styron's DARKNESS VISIBLE how does Vonnegut classify those that are suicidal?
(a) Those that are severe and those that are minor.
(b) Those that blame it on brain wiring and chemistry or those that blame the Universe
(c) Those that leave notes and those that do not.
(d) They are either depressed or schizophrenic.
6. What organization prevents Mozambicans from learning to read and write?
(d) World Vision.
7. How is Vonnegut an advocate for translators?
(a) He is a translator.
(b) He pays translators to write his books.
(c) He believes translators are more important than authors.
(d) He believes translators should be paid the same royalties as authors.
8. What do many of Vonnegut's books, including this one, not include?
(a) Fantasy creatures.
(c) Individual human beings.
(d) Social groups.
9. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
(a) It sounds funny.
(b) Rait made this adjustment to her limerick.
(c) This sound replaces dirty language.
(d) The limerick is too long.
10. Why are Germans frightening?
(a) They like to fight those from other cultures.
(b) They like to fight other white people.
(c) They murder thousands during World War II.
(d) They do not like Jews.
11. What does Vonnegut dream the world will be like in 1,000 years?
(a) There will be no humankind, because the various world leaders will lead their countries into massive wars.
(b) There will be no world in 1,000 years.
(c) German descendants will be running the planet.
(d) There will still be rich and poor, but all will be descendants of people who endure insults without committing suicide or murder.
12. What is World Vision?
(a) A Buddhist charity bringing peace to other cultures.
(b) An American Christian charity bringing supplies to refugees.
(c) An American optometrist organization bringing glasses to the underpriveledged.
(d) A Muslim organization bringing the teachings of Mohammed to other cultures.
13. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
(a) Any other job.
(b) Eating a peanut butter sandwich.
(c) Riding a bike.
(d) Singing a song.
14. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "A Mature Decision."
(b) "The Children's Crusade."
(c) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
(d) "The Last Crusade."
15. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
(c) Mentally retarded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Robert Redfield insist every society passes through?
2. With whom does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique?
3. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
4. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
5. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)