|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will bust up all cultures and create a Third-World planet?
2. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
(b) Mentally retarded.
3. What tough question does Vonnegut's book "Player Piano" ask?
(a) Why do people hurt one another?
(b) What are people for?
(c) When will there be world peace?
(d) What will happen to our planet in the future?
4. What does Vonnegut believe may unite mankind, by creating a generation that does not need to fight to be disillusioned by war?
(c) World peace.
5. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) Deep in Darkness.
(b) Land of Darkness.
(c) Heart of Darkness.
(d) The Dark Continent.
6. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
(a) "Hocus Pocus."
(b) "The House of Mirth."
(c) "The Nation."
(d) "Le Petit Prince."
7. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "The Children's Crusade."
(b) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
(c) "The Last Crusade."
(d) "A Mature Decision."
8. How do the Freethinkers behave?
(a) They are racist thugs.
(b) They humiliate those of other descents.
(c) They behave well, because they are motivated by the idea of heaven and hell.
(d) They behave well, even without the motivation of heaven and hell.
9. As a writer Vonnegut is an anthropologist and writes about what acculturated primitive people?
(a) Native North Americans.
(b) The people in "Skyscraper National Park."
(d) The Mayans of Central America.
10. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
(a) It sounds funny.
(b) The limerick is too long.
(c) Rait made this adjustment to her limerick.
(d) This sound replaces dirty language.
11. How do the MIT students react to Vonnegut's speech?
(a) They cheer enthusiastically.
(b) They applaud politely but do not take him seriously.
(c) They are convinced and accept his challenge.
(d) They are appalled by his speech.
12. Why are ex-hippies ashamed to belong to their social class?
(a) They despise Vietnam vets.
(b) They wish they had participated in the Vietnam War.
(c) The social class is so pandered to by the administration that its young do not have to go and do not want to go to war.
(d) They are embarrassed by their actions in the 1960s.
13. According to Vonnegut's speech, what power do the MIT graduates have?
(a) To control the world's resources.
(b) To find a job in their city of choice.
(c) To save the United States from self-destruction.
(d) To reign in or let loose enormous forces.
14. Why does Rait believe she can say whatever she pleases in English?
(a) She is very opinionated.
(b) She likes speaking in English.
(c) She believes that what she has to say is important.
(d) She is a non-native speaker.
15. With whom does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique?
(a) John Yale.
(b) Jill Krementz.
(c) Bill Pilgrim.
(d) Mark Vonnegut.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vonnegut describe Reagan's and Bush's war experiences?
2. From what event can ordinary humans not learn how much pain and humiliation to endure before calling an end to everything?
3. What does Vonnegut dream the world will be like in 1,000 years?
4. What is Mark's only crime against his government?
5. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)