|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rita Rait become the winner of a limerick contest?
(a) She wins the prize left by an eccentric British millionaire for the wittiest original limerick.
(b) She creates a competition and enters her own work.
(c) She is the best limerick writer in Russia.
(d) She is married to the judge.
2. What do many of Vonnegut's books, including this one, not include?
(a) Social groups.
(b) Individual human beings.
(c) Fantasy creatures.
3. What organization prevents Mozambicans from learning to read and write?
(a) World Vision.
4. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
(b) "The Children's Crusade."
(c) "A Mature Decision."
(d) "The Last Crusade."
5. What features imperialism, the capture of other societies' lands, and treasure by arms?
(a) "Hocus Pocus."
(b) "The Nation."
(c) "Le Petit Prince."
(d) "The House of Mirth."
6. What German-American movement did not survive?
(a) The German-American Quaker movement.
(b) The German-American Freethinker movement.
(c) The Pennsylvania Dutch movement.
(d) The Deutchland movement.
7. Why are certain words in Rait's limerick replaced with the sound "dah" when recited on the BBC?
(a) It sounds funny.
(b) The limerick is too long.
(c) Rait made this adjustment to her limerick.
(d) This sound replaces dirty language.
8. With whom does Vonnegut travel to Mozambique?
(a) Bill Pilgrim.
(b) Jill Krementz.
(c) Mark Vonnegut.
(d) John Yale.
9. Who does the author have die glamorously in an airplane crash into Mt. Kilimanjaro?
(a) Pierre August Renoir.
(b) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(c) Edith Wharton.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
10. When the definition for Schizophrenia has been tightened, how is Mark now classified?
(d) Mentally retarded.
11. Vonnegut's 1990 article in the New York Times observes that American humorists/satirists grow to be what past a certain age?
(a) Sarcastic old men.
(c) Intolerably unfunny pessimists.
(d) Enthusiastic optimists.
12. According to Vonnegut's speech, what power do the MIT graduates have?
(a) To find a job in their city of choice.
(b) To save the United States from self-destruction.
(c) To control the world's resources.
(d) To reign in or let loose enormous forces.
13. Although people with acute mental disorder are less often written off as hopeless, why is there still a lack of certainty for patients and their families?
(a) Psychological testing is dangerous.
(b) A dozen separate diseases are still lumped together as schizophrenia/manic depression.
(c) Medications can have severe adverse effects.
(d) Most patients still have to be institutionalized.
14. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) Heart of Darkness.
(b) Deep in Darkness.
(c) The Dark Continent.
(d) Land of Darkness.
15. What does Vonnegut believe may unite mankind, by creating a generation that does not need to fight to be disillusioned by war?
(c) World peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Robert Redfield insist every society passes through?
2. How does Vonnegut describe Reagan's and Bush's war experiences?
3. How many Americans are of German descent?
4. What is World Vision?
5. What does Vonnegut believe most ancient writings, including the Bible, do?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)