|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pictures would Vonnegut hang if he were president of MIT?
(a) Robert Lewis Stevenson's Edward Hyde.
(b) Bob Fosse's Sally Bowles.
(c) Pictures of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's "Frankenstein" monster.
(d) JK Rowling's Harry Potter.
2. What is the subtitle of SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) "The Children's Crusade."
(b) "The Last Crusade."
(c) "A Mature Decision."
(d) "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
3. According to Vonnegut's speech, what power do the MIT graduates have?
(a) To reign in or let loose enormous forces.
(b) To find a job in their city of choice.
(c) To save the United States from self-destruction.
(d) To control the world's resources.
4. Who is Vonnegut's favorite translator, with whom he falls in platonic love?
(a) Ramon Ramone.
(b) Rachel Ray.
(c) Roberta Rambelli.
(d) Rita Rait.
5. The "Religious Revival" Vonnegut describes has two commandments. What are they?
(a) Have no other god but me and other thy father and they mother.
(b) Divide and conquer.
(c) Stop thinking and obey.
(d) Be free and live in peace.
6. As a writer Vonnegut is an anthropologist and writes about what acculturated primitive people?
(b) The people in "Skyscraper National Park."
(c) The Mayans of Central America.
(d) Native North Americans.
7. What tough question does Vonnegut's book "Player Piano" ask?
(a) What will happen to our planet in the future?
(b) When will there be world peace?
(c) What are people for?
(d) Why do people hurt one another?
8. What does Dr. Robert Redfield insist every society passes through?
(a) The "Marxist Society" stage.
(b) The "Modern Society" stage.
(c) The "Folk Society" stage.
(d) The "Fauvist Society" stage.
9. Vonnegut believes MIT can set an example by adapting what to its undertakings?
(a) The Vonnegut Theory.
(b) The Hippocratic Oath.
(c) The Third Time Step.
(d) Oedipus Complex.
10. Who is the author of THE KILIMANJARO DEVICE?
(a) Ray Bradbury.
(b) Mark Vonnegut.
(c) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(d) Jane Austen.
11. How does Vonnegut's trip to Mozambique make him feel?
(a) Emotionally empty.
(c) Physically drained.
12. In THE NATION what does Vonnegut claim is the U.S.'s most nurturing contribution to planetary culture?
(a) Abstract Expressionism.
(b) Modern Dance.
(c) Alcoholics Anonymous.
13. What is a scheme of self-defense that only maligned and oppressed minorities should be allowed to use?
14. How do the MIT students react to Vonnegut's speech?
(a) They are appalled by his speech.
(b) They cheer enthusiastically.
(c) They applaud politely but do not take him seriously.
(d) They are convinced and accept his challenge.
15. What does Vonnegut compare to an alcoholic stockbroker not wanting his head in a Port Authority Bus Terminal toilet?
(a) Western Civilization builds weapons and convinces civilians to hate groups of humanity, but they do not want big wars.
(c) Presidents Bush and Reagan.
(d) Third World Countries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut never think he owes to himself or the world?
2. Why does Vonnegut feel out of intellectual step with his new neighbors in Cape Cod?
3. What other jobs has Vonnegut had?
4. For Vonnegut writing books is like what?
5. How many Americans are of German descent?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)