|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut like to write pieces for Architectural Digest?
(a) As a tribute to his father and grandfather.
(b) He is an architect.
(c) He loves architecture.
(d) As a tribute to his son, Mark.
2. Vonnegut laments that people can say atrocious things in public, but he is charged with encouraging what?
(a) violence against women and kiddy porn.
(b) vulgar language.
(c) violent protests.
(d) violence against ethnic minorities.
3. What does Vonnegut believe is the United State's only true art form prior to Jackson Pollock's work?
(b) Hip hop.
4. Unlike many short-lived 20th-century art movements, what movement has more enthusiasts than ever?
(b) Abstract Expressionism.
(c) Photo Realism.
(d) Post Modernism.
5. Whose art does Father celebrate, as if it is a Pieta or Sistine chapel ceiling?
6. What mental illness does the author's son suffer and recover from?
(a) Bipolar disorder.
7. What date lives forever in infamy for Vonnegut?
(a) The day he is first married.
(b) the day of his mother's suicide.
(c) His sister's birth.
(d) O'Hare's death.
8. Kurt Vonnegut Sr. is respected and loved as a founder of what museum?
(a) The Indianapolis 500 Museum.
(b) The Children's Museum.
(c) The Indianapolis Museum of Art.
(d) The Museum of Natural History.
9. The Attorney General's Commission compares anything that sounds like the Sermon on the Mount to what?
10. Why is Algren bitter over his masterpiece, The Man with the Golden Arm?
(a) He does not think it is a masterpiece.
(b) He does not like the how it ends.
(c) He fears he will not be able to create another masterpiece.
(d) He receives very little for his masterpiece.
11. What does Vonnegut say happens to American literary history, that "generations" of writers are separated by less than twenty years?
(a) They have been so foreshortened.
(b) There are more people being born.
(c) There are more writers.
(d) They are very young.
12. The Attorney General's Commission believes that sufferers of what disease get what they deserve?
(b) Heart disease.
13. What does Vonnegut tell Hemingway scholars defines his fellow Midwesterner?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) His writing.
(c) World War I.
(d) His cats.
14. What is the name of Vonnegut's unfinished book depicting a doctor using talk therapy at Auschwitz to treat staff members' depression?
(a) SS Therapist.
(b) SS Psychiatrist.
(c) SS Indianapolis.
(d) SS Auschwitz.
15. Vonnegut is the third person in his family to have a one-person show and the second to put in time in a "laughing academy." What is he the first to do?
(a) Have an unhappy marriage.
(b) Divorce and remarry.
(c) Create art.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut feel lucky to have been born in Indianapolis?
2. What does Vonnegut believe is declining but could return?
3. How much does Vonnegut believe is enough to make a masterpiece? Beyond that, it is like empty talk at the end of a party.
4. Where does Vonnegut first meet O'Hare?
5. To what does Vonnegut compare the lyrics of the new requiem setting?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)