|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose art does Father celebrate, as if it is a Pieta or Sistine chapel ceiling?
2. What happens to all writers?
(a) Their stories grow more optimistic with each passing year.
(b) They become more famous with age.
(c) They grow dated.
(d) They grow to be better writers.
3. What does Vonnegut create during his summers at Lake Maxincuckee in southern Indiana?
(a) A wooden canoe.
(b) His first map of the world.
(c) Imaginary friends.
(d) Camp fires.
4. What practical joke does Vonnegut play at an ROTC inspection?
(a) He wears a Boy Scout uniform.
(b) He tells knock knock jokes.
(c) He wears every sort of medal he can find.
(d) He dresses like a clown.
5. Why does Vonnegut miss his 50th high school reunion?
(a) He contracts Lyme disease.
(b) He catches pneumonia.
(c) He forgets the date of his reunion.
(d) His plane is delayed.
6. What is the name of the infant that the Vonneguts adopt?
7. The Attorney General's Commission compares anything that sounds like the Sermon on the Mount to what?
8. Requiem masses are customarily sung in what language?
9. Vonnegut references what Biblical story to his belief that people find life too hard and disappointing to act on repairing it?
(a) The Last Supper, with Jesus accusing Mark instead of Judas.
(b) Noah's Ark, as a sinking vessel with half its animals already dead.
(c) Buddha sitting by the tree, but not becoming enlightened.
(d) Adam and Eve not taking a bite from the forbidden fruit.
10. How does Vonnegut believe a writer's opinion about vocal third parties differs from that of a visual artist?
(a) Writing is tedious, so intruders, or third parties, are refreshing.
(b) They grow insecure when third parties give their opinions.
(c) They believe third parties are annoying.
(d) They dislike third parties as much as artists.
11. Who is the composer who sets Vonnegut's Latin translation to music?
(a) Edgar Grana.
(b) Dame Edna.
(c) Edgar Degas.
(d) Edith Wharton.
12. What limits Algren's popularity?
(a) His lack of connections.
(b) His foul personality.
(c) His distinct odor.
(d) A penchant for truth.
13. The Attorney General's Commission believes that sufferers of what disease get what they deserve?
(a) Heart disease.
14. Why does the general at the ROTC inspection write down Vonnegut's name, which seems to lead to Vonnegut never rising above Private First Class?
(a) Vonnegut argues with the general.
(b) Vonnegut plays a practical joke.
(c) Vonnegut arrives late to the inspection.
(d) The general thinks Vonnegut is not a good soldier.
15. What tribal name do the Vonneguts give themselves?
(b) Black Feathers.
(c) Epta mayan-boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. He compares his adventures at Lake Maxincuckee to what explorer?
2. What novel about the state of people's portable souls does Jane ask Vonnegut to read?
3. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
4. What does Vonnegut say happens to American literary history, that "generations" of writers are separated by less than twenty years?
5. Why does the Spanish Civil War give Hemingway material rather than World War I?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)