|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the author's father die?
2. Why is Algren bitter over his masterpiece, The Man with the Golden Arm?
(a) He receives very little for his masterpiece.
(b) He does not like the how it ends.
(c) He fears he will not be able to create another masterpiece.
(d) He does not think it is a masterpiece.
3. Why is Vonnegut good with guns?
(a) He is part of the NRA.
(b) His dad taught him how to shoot a gun.
(c) He has watched many war movies.
(d) He is a Private First Class.
4. What tribal name do the Vonneguts give themselves?
(a) Epta mayan-boys.
(d) Black Feathers.
5. What art form does Kurt Vonnegut Sr. take up after he retires?
(a) Painting .
6. Who is the model for Vonnegut's Bill Pilgrim in SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) Bishop Moore.
(b) Joe Crone.
(c) Jack Spratt.
(d) Jane Seymour.
7. Who is the composer of the new requiem setting?
(a) Celine Dion.
(b) Robert Samels.
(c) Josh Groban.
(d) Andrew Lloyd Webber.
8. What is one thing Vonnegut mentions in his letter to the future?
(a) Leaders of the future should fix the environment issues through scientific discoveries.
(b) Today's rulers need to stop thinking science can fix anything for $1 trillion.
(c) Future generations need to use more petroleum for fuel.
(d) Countries in the future should stop communicating with one another.
9. For what does the traditional requiem ask?
(a) Eternal rest for the dead, where God's light perpetually shines on them.
(b) Sinners to be damned to Hell for all eternity.
(c) A heaven filled with angels playing harps.
(d) Entrance to the Kingdom of Heaven by Saint Peter.
10. Who translates Vonnegut's requiem into Latin?
(a) Collin P. Miller.
(b) Thomas R. Collins.
(c) Collin F. Johnson.
(d) John F. Collins.
11. What date lives forever in infamy for Vonnegut?
(a) O'Hare's death.
(b) The day he is first married.
(c) His sister's birth.
(d) the day of his mother's suicide.
12. Besides Indianapolis what other U.S. city is designed by the architect L'Enfant?
(a) Seattle, Washington.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Columbus, OH.
(d) Baltimore, MD.
13. What does Vonnegut tell 1990 graduates of the University of Rhode Island?
(a) College is a waste of time, and they should make the world their university.
(b) They should enjoy this day, because real life begins tomorrow.
(c) He wishes he could have been a graduate of the University of Rhode Island.
(d) Colleges should spread the important stuff over four years, instead of saving it all up for the very end.
14. Although Jill attends private school and vacations with the rich as a child, how does she provide for herself as a grown woman?
(a) Her photography and children's books.
(b) Marrying a wealthy man.
(c) Running her own restaurant.
(d) Teaching English.
15. What limits Algren's popularity?
(a) A penchant for truth.
(b) His distinct odor.
(c) His lack of connections.
(d) His foul personality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the composer who sets Vonnegut's Latin translation to music?
2. Even after many years, what is imprinted in Vonnegut's mind?
3. What is the name of the infant that the Vonneguts adopt?
4. What mental illness does the author's son suffer and recover from?
5. The Attorney General's Commission compares anything that sounds like the Sermon on the Mount to what?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)