|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who buys the lake house but allows Vonnegut and his bride to honeymoon there?
(a) His sister.
(b) A stranger.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His friend O'Hare.
2. The author pictures his father as what fictional character waiting for a prince to awaken his career?
(b) Snow White.
(c) Sleeping Beauty.
(d) Porky Pig.
3. Vonnegut uses examinations of history, literature, psychology and what else to move his story forward?
4. Vonnegut laments that people can say atrocious things in public, but he is charged with encouraging what?
(a) violence against ethnic minorities.
(b) vulgar language.
(c) violent protests.
(d) violence against women and kiddy porn.
5. What art form does Kurt Vonnegut Sr. take up after he retires?
(d) Painting .
6. Why does Vonnegut feel lucky to have been born in Indianapolis?
(a) He treasures the friendships he made in Indianapolis.
(b) It is a beautiful city.
(c) Indianapolis is the center of the art world.
(d) He receives a rich and humane primary and secondary education.
7. Why did Jane Cox's relatives question her marriage to Vonnegut?
(a) They think she is too young to marry.
(b) They think she is not healthy enough to marry.
(c) They do not trust Vonnegut.
(d) They worry about her getting mixed up with Germans.
8. The Reverend wants which amendment to conform to his version of Christianity?
(a) The Twenty-Seventh Amendment.
(b) The Second Amendment.
(c) The First Amendment.
(d) The Twenty-First Amendment.
9. What are heavy among the writers Vonnegut cares about?
(a) Their hearts.
(b) Their weights.
(c) Their appetites.
10. What does Vonnegut assert is often Hemingway's male characters' greatest reward?
(a) Winning the heart of a woman.
(b) Males feeling love for one another in proximity to danger.
(c) Becoming enlightened.
(d) Winning a battle.
11. Why is Algren bitter over his masterpiece, The Man with the Golden Arm?
(a) He fears he will not be able to create another masterpiece.
(b) He does not like the how it ends.
(c) He receives very little for his masterpiece.
(d) He does not think it is a masterpiece.
12. What choir performs Vonnegut's requiem?
(a) The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
(b) Universalist Unitarian choir.
(c) Hindu choir.
(d) United Methodist choir.
13. What is the name of Vonnegut's unfinished book depicting a doctor using talk therapy at Auschwitz to treat staff members' depression?
(a) SS Indianapolis.
(b) SS Psychiatrist.
(c) SS Therapist.
(d) SS Auschwitz.
14. Who is the model for Vonnegut's Bill Pilgrim in SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
(a) Joe Crone.
(b) Jane Seymour.
(c) Bishop Moore.
(d) Jack Spratt.
15. What does Vonnegut believe about professional artists' opinions on vocal third parties, such as critics, curators, and collectors?
(a) They like to receive criticism from third parties.
(b) They are happiest when they do not have to worry about other's opinions.
(c) They constantly ask for approval from critics, curators, and collectors.
(d) They love to create work for collectors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Vonnegut's grown children jointly own?
2. He says his father is a rarity among Hoosiers. What other fantasy creature does the author compare his father to?
3. To what does Vonnegut compare censorship's always being on the rise, around, and undiagnosed?
4. Kurt Vonnegut Sr. is respected and loved as a founder of what museum?
5. How are Vonnegut and Elie Wiesel the same?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)