|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jane Cox's relatives question her marriage to Vonnegut?
(a) They think she is not healthy enough to marry.
(b) They do not trust Vonnegut.
(c) They think she is too young to marry.
(d) They worry about her getting mixed up with Germans.
2. What art form does Kurt Vonnegut Sr. take up after he retires?
(b) Painting .
3. The Attorney General's Commission believes that sufferers of what disease get what they deserve?
(b) Heart disease.
4. Where does Vonnegut first meet O'Hare?
(a) High school.
(b) Camp Harrison.
(c) Camp Atterbury.
5. In Fates Worse Than Death, humorist Kurt Vonnegut examines the blindness of the American people to the hypocrisy of what administration?
(a) Clinton Administration.
(b) Smith Administration.
(c) Carter Administration.
(d) Reagan Administration.
6. Why can Vonnegut not get married at an Episcopalian church?
(a) He is not a Christian.
(b) Vonnegut is divorced.
(c) His wife is not Episcopalian.
(d) Vonnegut already has children.
7. Who is the composer who sets Vonnegut's Latin translation to music?
(a) Edith Wharton.
(b) Dame Edna.
(c) Edgar Degas.
(d) Edgar Grana.
8. What is the title of the book Jane writes about raising their kids on Cape Cod?
(a) My Children, My Angels.
(b) Angels Without Wings.
(c) Angels in Heaven.
(d) On a Wing and a Prayer.
9. Why does Vonnegut miss his 50th high school reunion?
(a) He forgets the date of his reunion.
(b) He contracts Lyme disease.
(c) His plane is delayed.
(d) He catches pneumonia.
10. Why is Vonnegut good with guns?
(a) He is a Private First Class.
(b) He has watched many war movies.
(c) He is part of the NRA.
(d) His dad taught him how to shoot a gun.
11. What novel about the state of people's portable souls does Jane ask Vonnegut to read?
(a) Blood Diamond.
(b) The Brothers Karamazov.
(c) Blood Brothers.
(d) The Brothers Grimm.
12. Why does the general at the ROTC inspection write down Vonnegut's name, which seems to lead to Vonnegut never rising above Private First Class?
(a) Vonnegut arrives late to the inspection.
(b) Vonnegut argues with the general.
(c) The general thinks Vonnegut is not a good soldier.
(d) Vonnegut plays a practical joke.
13. Although Jill attends private school and vacations with the rich as a child, how does she provide for herself as a grown woman?
(a) Marrying a wealthy man.
(b) Running her own restaurant.
(c) Her photography and children's books.
(d) Teaching English.
14. Besides Indianapolis what other U.S. city is designed by the architect L'Enfant?
(a) Columbus, OH.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Baltimore, MD.
(d) Seattle, Washington.
15. What do the free speech provisions of the First Amendment make Vonnegut want to do?
(c) Throw up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Reverend oppose?
2. What does the U.S. allow for 100 years before diagnosing it as a social disease and fighting it?
3. For what does the traditional requiem ask?
4. Kurt Vonnegut Sr. is respected and loved as a founder of what museum?
5. What is the name of the infant that the Vonneguts adopt?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)