|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who founds the Indianapolis chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous in 1955?
(a) Vonnegut's Uncle Alex.
(b) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(c) Vonnegut's sister.
(d) Vonnegut's mother.
2. What is Vonnegut's opinion of Charlton Heston's commercials advocating that civilians keep military weapons?
(a) He would like to be able to join Heston in the commercials.
(b) He finds them to be entertaining.
(c) Vonnegut believes military weapons, like loathsome germs, kill people every day and does not approve of the commercials.
(d) Vonnegut sees nothing wrong with encouraging the general public to carry military weapons.
3. What tribal name do the Vonneguts give themselves?
(c) Black Feathers.
(d) Epta mayan-boys.
4. The Attorney General's Commission believes that sufferers of what disease get what they deserve?
(b) Heart disease.
5. How do the author and Jill meet?
(a) At a baseball game.
(b) At a movie premiere.
(c) At a production of a Vonnegut play.
(d) At an art gallery.
6. In what year does the author's father die?
7. What do Vonnegut's grown children jointly own?
(a) The lake house.
(b) A condominium in New York City.
(c) A publishing house.
(d) Their childhood home.
8. What does the author use as a recurrent symbol of U.S. political stupidities?
(a) President George Bush's call for a constitutional amendment outlawing flag burning.
(b) The Bill of Rights' First Amendment.
(c) The NRA militia commercials.
(d) President George Bush's support of the NRA.
9. What does Vonnegut miss from his youth?
(a) Friends from school.
(b) The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra.
(c) The Fourth of July Fireworks.
(d) Freedom from knowing humans will render the planet uninhabitable.
10. Why is Vonnegut good with guns?
(a) He is a Private First Class.
(b) His dad taught him how to shoot a gun.
(c) He is part of the NRA.
(d) He has watched many war movies.
11. What does Vonnegut's degree in anthropology teach him about villains?
(a) The "villains" are art, music, and dance, not culture.
(b) The "villains" are drugs, sex, and rock and roll.
(c) The "villains" are drugs, theft, and rape, not society.
(d) The "villains" are culture, society, and history, not drugs.
12. What novel about the state of people's portable souls does Jane ask Vonnegut to read?
(a) The Brothers Karamazov.
(b) Blood Diamond.
(c) The Brothers Grimm.
(d) Blood Brothers.
13. Who does Vonnegut marry in 1979?
(a) Jess Katz.
(b) Julie Keagan.
(c) Jen Klein.
(d) Jill Krementz.
14. In which art form does Father show promise before the Great Depression?
15. Why does the general at the ROTC inspection write down Vonnegut's name, which seems to lead to Vonnegut never rising above Private First Class?
(a) Vonnegut argues with the general.
(b) Vonnegut arrives late to the inspection.
(c) Vonnegut plays a practical joke.
(d) The general thinks Vonnegut is not a good soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut become cranky when hearing his requiem performed?
2. What causes the author's mother's untreated insanity?
3. How much does Vonnegut believe is enough to make a masterpiece? Beyond that, it is like empty talk at the end of a party.
4. What practical joke does Vonnegut play at an ROTC inspection?
5. What does Vonnegut believe about professional artists' opinions on vocal third parties, such as critics, curators, and collectors?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)