|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the author's father die?
2. What does Vonnegut believe is the United State's only true art form prior to Jackson Pollock's work?
(b) Hip hop.
3. How does Vonnegut believe a writer's opinion about vocal third parties differs from that of a visual artist?
(a) Writing is tedious, so intruders, or third parties, are refreshing.
(b) They dislike third parties as much as artists.
(c) They believe third parties are annoying.
(d) They grow insecure when third parties give their opinions.
4. Vonnegut defends what freedom?
(a) Freedom of religion.
(b) Freedom of assembly.
(c) Freedom of speech.
(d) Freedom of the press.
5. What does Pollock use to control his hands when he paints?
(a) Early sketches.
(b) A painter's machine.
(d) Ideas from critics.
6. Does Vonnegut believe that most civilians can be considered a "well-regulated militia?"
(a) Only men can be part of a militia.
(b) Not unless they are recruited, led, motivated, or restrained by anything but their own perceptions.
(c) Most civilians can be considered a "well-regulated militia."
(d) Only those civilians who pass a test should be considered part of a militia.
7. This book is the sequel to what other book?
(a) Good Friday.
(b) Palm Sunday.
(c) Friday the 13th.
(d) Easter Sunday.
8. When does Vonnegut get sick?
(a) In the spring.
(b) In the fall.
(c) When it is useful to him.
(d) When he does not get enough sleep.
9. He says his father is a rarity among Hoosiers. What other fantasy creature does the author compare his father to?
10. Who is the Cody, Wyoming, artist who is America's foremost adventurer in the Abstract Expressionist movement?
(a) Keith Haring.
(b) Jackson Pollock.
(c) George Segal.
(d) Mary Cassatt.
11. Vonnegut uses examinations of history, literature, psychology and what else to move his story forward?
12. To what author's work does Vonnegut compare the Bill of Rights' First Amendment?
(a) J.K. Rowling.
(b) Dr. Dre.
(c) Dr. Seuss.
(d) Michael Crichton.
13. What does Vonnegut believe is the cause of mental illness?
(a) Mental illness is caused by the sufferer's environment.
(b) A cold is the main cause of mental illness.
(c) Mental illness is chemically based.
(d) Early trauma causes mental illness.
14. The Attorney General's Commission compares anything that sounds like the Sermon on the Mount to what?
15. According to the Attorney General's Commission, what is worth its expensive price tag?
(a) billion-dollar condominiums.
(b) billion-dollar financial institutions.
(c) billion-dollar airplanes.
(d) billion-dollar NASA spacecraft.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the character Bill Pilgrim different from Joe Crone?
2. The gestation period of 'possums is twelve days and Indian elephants twenty-two months. What does the author believe is the gestation period for American liberty?
3. What does the author use as a recurrent symbol of U.S. political stupidities?
4. Why is Vonnegut good with guns?
5. Who is the composer of the new requiem setting?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)