|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut wish his father had insisted he study?
2. What does Vonnegut say happens to American literary history, that "generations" of writers are separated by less than twenty years?
(a) There are more people being born.
(b) They are very young.
(c) There are more writers.
(d) They have been so foreshortened.
3. Who founds the Indianapolis chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous in 1955?
(a) Vonnegut's sister.
(b) Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
(c) Vonnegut's Uncle Alex.
(d) Vonnegut's mother.
4. What practical joke does Vonnegut play at an ROTC inspection?
(a) He dresses like a clown.
(b) He tells knock knock jokes.
(c) He wears a Boy Scout uniform.
(d) He wears every sort of medal he can find.
5. What tribal name do the Vonneguts give themselves?
(b) Black Feathers.
(d) Epta mayan-boys.
6. Vonnegut believes that the goal in the U.S. is only to train intelligent, well-educated people to do what?
(a) Speak rudely and arrogantly.
(b) Speak stupidly and gain popularity.
(c) Speak cautiously and quietly.
(d) Speak slowly and carefully.
7. Who enacts the Latin requiem text in 1570?
(a) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
(b) Pope John II.
(c) Leonardo da Vinci.
(d) Pope Pius V.
8. What does Vonnegut tell Hemingway scholars defines his fellow Midwesterner?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) World War I.
(c) His cats.
(d) His writing.
9. Vonnegut uses examinations of history, literature, psychology and what else to move his story forward?
10. Why does Vonnegut feel lucky to have been born in Indianapolis?
(a) Indianapolis is the center of the art world.
(b) It is a beautiful city.
(c) He receives a rich and humane primary and secondary education.
(d) He treasures the friendships he made in Indianapolis.
11. How is the character Bill Pilgrim different from Joe Crone?
(a) Bill Pilgrim commits suicide, while Joe Crone become a doctor.
(b) They are from different cities in the United States.
(c) Bill Pilgrim is shy and sad, while Joe Crone is an enthusiastic extrovert.
(d) Joe Crone starves himself to death, while Bill Pilgrim returns home to become an optometrist.
12. Why does Vonnegut become cranky when hearing his requiem performed?
(a) The synthesizer music is not loud enough.
(b) The synthesizer music overpowers the lyrics.
(c) The choir director conducts too quickly.
(d) The choir mispronounces the lyrics.
13. Why is Vonnegut drawn to the text?
(a) The composer has made several grammatical mistakes in the English text.
(b) The English translation, to Vonnegut, is beautiful, and a work of genius.
(c) Vonnegut does would like to know the meaning of the Requiem, but does not understand Latin.
(d) It is an English translation that, to Vonnegut, speaks of sadism and masochism.
14. In what year does the author's father die?
15. How does Vonnegut believe a writer's opinion about vocal third parties differs from that of a visual artist?
(a) They grow insecure when third parties give their opinions.
(b) They dislike third parties as much as artists.
(c) Writing is tedious, so intruders, or third parties, are refreshing.
(d) They believe third parties are annoying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Algren bitter over his masterpiece, The Man with the Golden Arm?
2. Who is the Cody, Wyoming, artist who is America's foremost adventurer in the Abstract Expressionist movement?
3. Who translates Vonnegut's requiem into Latin?
4. Why is Vonnegut good with guns?
5. What date lives forever in infamy for Vonnegut?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)