|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What limits Algren's popularity?
(a) His foul personality.
(b) His lack of connections.
(c) A penchant for truth.
(d) His distinct odor.
2. Why is Vonnegut drawn to the text?
(a) It is an English translation that, to Vonnegut, speaks of sadism and masochism.
(b) Vonnegut does would like to know the meaning of the Requiem, but does not understand Latin.
(c) The English translation, to Vonnegut, is beautiful, and a work of genius.
(d) The composer has made several grammatical mistakes in the English text.
3. Vonnegut believes that the goal in the U.S. is only to train intelligent, well-educated people to do what?
(a) Speak rudely and arrogantly.
(b) Speak stupidly and gain popularity.
(c) Speak slowly and carefully.
(d) Speak cautiously and quietly.
4. When does Vonnegut get sick?
(a) When it is useful to him.
(b) When he does not get enough sleep.
(c) In the fall.
(d) In the spring.
5. What does Vonnegut believe is declining but could return?
(b) Corporal punishment.
6. Vonnegut is enthusiastic about Pollock's work, but what does he feel is missing from Pollock's paintings?
(b) Human figures.
(d) A horizon.
7. Even after many years, what is imprinted in Vonnegut's mind?
(a) Lake Michigan where he played in the sand.
(b) Culver Lake where he is a lifeguard.
(c) Lake Maxincuckee where he swims with his siblings.
(d) Geist Lake where he went boating.
8. How does Vonnegut believe a writer's opinion about vocal third parties differs from that of a visual artist?
(a) Writing is tedious, so intruders, or third parties, are refreshing.
(b) They grow insecure when third parties give their opinions.
(c) They dislike third parties as much as artists.
(d) They believe third parties are annoying.
9. Vonnegut defends what freedom?
(a) Freedom of speech.
(b) Freedom of the press.
(c) Freedom of religion.
(d) Freedom of assembly.
10. What does Vonnegut believe is the cause of mental illness?
(a) Mental illness is caused by the sufferer's environment.
(b) Mental illness is chemically based.
(c) Early trauma causes mental illness.
(d) A cold is the main cause of mental illness.
11. What are heavy among the writers Vonnegut cares about?
(a) Their weights.
(b) Their appetites.
(c) Their hearts.
12. What is the date of Vonnegut's requiem's premier?
(a) October 13, 1988.
(b) March 13, 1988.
(c) March 13, 1998.
(d) October 13, 1998.
13. He compares his adventures at Lake Maxincuckee to what explorer?
(a) Marco Polo.
(b) Franz Ferdinand.
(c) Leif Ericson.
(d) Christopher Columbus.
14. What does Vonnegut believe it is time to hear?
(a) The ringing of the Liberty Bell.
(b) Liberty's lusty birth cries.
(c) Cries of love for all people.
(d) The cry for freedom.
15. What does Vonnegut wish his father had insisted he study?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut miss from his youth?
2. He says his father is a rarity among Hoosiers. What other fantasy creature does the author compare his father to?
3. Requiem masses are customarily sung in what language?
4. Vonnegut is the third person in his family to have a one-person show and the second to put in time in a "laughing academy." What is he the first to do?
5. Where does Vonnegut first meet O'Hare?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)