|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) The Dark Continent.
(b) Land of Darkness.
(c) Heart of Darkness.
(d) Deep in Darkness.
2. What pictures would Vonnegut hang if he were president of MIT?
(a) Robert Lewis Stevenson's Edward Hyde.
(b) Bob Fosse's Sally Bowles.
(c) JK Rowling's Harry Potter.
(d) Pictures of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's "Frankenstein" monster.
3. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
(a) He is not at home.
(b) He is dead of a heart attack.
(c) He is already at the party.
(d) He does not answer the phone.
4. What will bust up all cultures and create a Third-World planet?
5. How do jokes work?
(a) Comedians and the audienceshare a funny moment.
(b) By hooking and releasing the listener, causing the release of fight-or-flight chemicals through laughter.
(c) The comedian tells the audience something funny about society that seems outrageous but is true.
(d) Jokes connect the listener to other listeners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose art does Father celebrate, as if it is a Pieta or Sistine chapel ceiling?
2. Why is Vonnegut drawn to the text?
3. What practical joke does Vonnegut play at an ROTC inspection?
4. What novel about the state of people's portable souls does Jane ask Vonnegut to read?
5. What is Vonnegut's opinion of Charlton Heston's commercials advocating that civilians keep military weapons?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)