|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Spanish Civil War give Hemingway material rather than World War I?
(a) The Spanish Civial War has more exciting battles than World War I.
(b) Americans are too upset by World War I.
(c) The U.S. enters World War I too late to have war stories.
(d) Hemingway knows more about the Spanish Civil War than World War I.
2. What is the best reason for why Vonnegut's family keeps his mother's insanity and suicide a secret?
(a) They are hoping to avoid repelling prospective in-laws.
(b) They are saddened by her illness and death.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They are in denial.
3. What does Vonnegut say happens to American literary history, that "generations" of writers are separated by less than twenty years?
(a) They are very young.
(b) They have been so foreshortened.
(c) There are more writers.
(d) There are more people being born.
4. Who buys the lake house but allows Vonnegut and his bride to honeymoon there?
(a) His friend O'Hare.
(b) His sister.
(c) His uncle.
(d) A stranger.
5. Who is the Cody, Wyoming, artist who is America's foremost adventurer in the Abstract Expressionist movement?
(a) Jackson Pollock.
(b) Mary Cassatt.
(c) George Segal.
(d) Keith Haring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is his home on Lake Maxincuckee?
2. Vonnegut is enthusiastic about Pollock's work, but what does he feel is missing from Pollock's paintings?
3. He compares his adventures at Lake Maxincuckee to what explorer?
4. How much does Vonnegut believe is enough to make a masterpiece? Beyond that, it is like empty talk at the end of a party.
5. Vonnegut uses examinations of history, literature, psychology and what else to move his story forward?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)